Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
I dunno. I kinda think Orin and Durge are playing the same role in the story. Only, Durge got amnesia and doesn't remember it. I think if you play Durge instead of Tav or another Origin character, there is no Orin, because Durge is the third of the Absolute's Chosen. And it's kind of a Darth Revan plot twist. And that's why Sven encourages players to not play Durge first. The plot twist goes harder if you've met Orin before.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Eagle Pursuit
I dunno. I kinda think Orin and Durge are playing the same role in the story. Only, Durge got amnesia and doesn't remember it. I think if you play Durge instead of Tav or another Origin character, there is no Orin, because Durge is the third of the Absolute's Chosen. And it's kind of a Darth Revan plot twist. And that's why Sven encourages players to not play Durge first. The plot twist goes harder if you've met Orin before.
I guess we'll see at release but I doubt it.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Eagle Pursuit
I'd love to see an option to play it out as a rivalry to earn a place by his side.

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
My guess is that Orin is a chosen of Bhaal and the Dark Urge a) the child of Viekang b) child of Charname c) someone who absorbed the Bhaal essence polluting the waters of the Boareskyr bridge

N
old hand
old hand
N
Blood in Baldur's Gate happened before abdal died right?

I think the Dark Urge is a Bhaal spawn, they get abducted and spend the next 15 years in the Astral plain with the mindflayers. As they technically arn on Torill Bhaal gets to reincarnate/make an avatar, but is missing the bit of himself that was in the urge.

The Urge seems to be the pure unbridled bloodlust of Bhaal while Orin is more of the sneaky stealthy assasin.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Blood in Baldur's Gate happened before abdal died right?

I think the Dark Urge is a Bhaal spawn, they get abducted and spend the next 15 years in the Astral plain with the mindflayers. As they technically arn on Torill Bhaal gets to reincarnate/make an avatar, but is missing the bit of himself that was in the urge.

The Urge seems to be the pure unbridled bloodlust of Bhaal while Orin is more of the sneaky stealthy assasin.
Now the Dark Urge can be whatever the player wants in terms of class and abilities but Orin is precisely what Bhaal was in life, as a shapeshifting rogue assassin, and as you play the dark urge you will be pushed down that same path with very powerful items as rewards that are best used by rogue assassins, heavily incentivizing the player to respec into one. Plus the rogue is a great skill monkey class and fairly good at all the speech stuff so also very good class to make use of all kinds of speech checks in the game. The only drawback of the rogue is you can't have wisdom proficiency and wisdom checks are also relatively common but overall I think rogue assassin is definitely the class to go with for the Dark Urge.

veteran
veteran
I wonder if the dark urge and Orin are related somehow, like siblings or parent/child or maybe of the same race, making the dark urge a shapechanger although the dark urge doesn't remember being a shapechanger.

I don't know. Six more days, and I'll finally be able to stop all the wondering and conjecture.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
I wonder if the dark urge and Orin are related somehow, like siblings or parent/child or maybe of the same race, making the dark urge a shapechanger although the dark urge doesn't remember being a shapechanger.

I don't know. Six more days, and I'll finally be able to stop all the wondering and conjecture.
Definitely not related by family because the Dark Urge can be any race so a lot of that wouldn't work. But they do share a connection...they are both connected to Bhaal...the god of murder. They both appear to be avatars of Bhaal.

As for shapeshifting...well, at later levels the Rogue assassin class is supposed to get a disguise ability...and since dark urge rewards seem geared mainly towards rogue assassins(class of Bhaal) I suspect that following through with the dark urge will also reward some kind of item or ability that allows us to properly shapeshift as well.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
This was pretty cool. One thing I noticed about the EA content...there weren't many cool story cutscenes. So it's nice seeing some tidbits of what's to come.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
My guess is that Orin is a chosen of Bhaal and the Dark Urge a) the child of Viekang b) child of Charname c) someone who absorbed the Bhaal essence polluting the waters of the Boareskyr bridge
Nah... I still think that Tav could be the child of Charname and Durge might just be an artificially created Bhaalspawn, remember Charname wasn't all murdery like Orin or Durge.

I also don't think Orin and Durge are the same person.

Last edited by Sai the Elf; 28/07/23 12:48 PM.
veteran
veteran
Outside of the dream world Charname was always able to control the murder urges but my Charname felt them constantly.

People read the dream sequences differently - have you ever seen the evil versions of the dream sequences in BG1? If you have a good reputation score you let Mulahey pass on to the afterlife peacefully and daddy Bhaal lashes out at you. But if you have low reputation score you plunge a bone dagger into the remains of his soul.

You drown all those iron throne mercenaries in the mine and that night you dream of rivers of blood. And if you are really evil you drowned the slaves as well.

And of course slayer form in bg2 - lose control of it and you will start murdering your friends. So think the "dark urges within you want to be set free" was a pretty consistent theme.

Now you are right that Dark Urge could be artificially created - the Boareskyr bridge water would probably be the best way to do that. That or the body of one of Bhaalspawn killed by charname?

I also occurs to me that the Urge could be Imoen's kid.

You are right that Orin is different - I'm sticking with Bhaal's chosen. Born without his blood but managed to impress him with her dedication to murder.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Outside of the dream world Charname was always able to control the murder urges but my Charname felt them constantly.

People read the dream sequences differently - have you ever seen the evil versions of the dream sequences in BG1? If you have a good reputation score you let Mulahey pass on to the afterlife peacefully and daddy Bhaal lashes out at you. But if you have low reputation score you plunge a bone dagger into the remains of his soul.

You drown all those iron throne mercenaries in the mine and that night you dream of rivers of blood. And if you are really evil you drowned the slaves as well.

And of course slayer form in bg2 - lose control of it and you will start murdering your friends. So think the "dark urges within you want to be set free" was a pretty consistent theme.

Now you are right that Dark Urge could be artificially created - the Boareskyr bridge water would probably be the best way to do that. That or the body of one of Bhaalspawn killed by charname?

I also occurs to me that the Urge could be Imoen's kid.

You are right that Orin is different - I'm sticking with Bhaal's chosen. Born without his blood but managed to impress him with her dedication to murder.
I don't think Dark Urge in BG3 can lead to that kind or rampage where you kill your friends because Swen said that as the dark urge he did the most evil playthrough possible and he finished with a full party of four, his companions were: Shadowheart, Lae'zel, and Minthara...so I don't think you have to worry too much about playing evil as the dark urge.

There can be problems if you try to bottle up the dark urge as the longer you resist the more you have to start making saving throws...so I don't know what happens if you lose control there. Maybe that leads to terrible rampage? At any rate, don't be nice as the dark urge and you should be good.

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

Definitely not related by family because the Dark Urge can be any race so a lot of that wouldn't work.

As pointed out, it works if they are changelings. A changeling with amnesia will believe themselves to be whatever race they found themselves when they woke up.

It's been done before.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by FrostyFardragon

Definitely not related by family because the Dark Urge can be any race so a lot of that wouldn't work.

As pointed out, it works if they are changelings. A changeling with amnesia will believe themselves to be whatever race they found themselves when they woke up.

It's been done before.
No that wouldn't work because you actually have the traits and bonuses of your race, a changeling would not, it would only look like the race.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian
She's great. I wish I didn't spoil her yet.

Why so many story spoilers with the villains anyway? It's undermining their introduction in-game. A shapeshifter especially. Now it's no longer the shocking surprise it could have been. Can't they do the marketing with different Tavs and companions fighting cool monsters and exploring?

Yes pity. It was even spoiled their recognition feature, when it is not wrapped in an illusion by her shapeshifting ability...

I wonder who she would impersonate by a full custom party? I mean, if she's impersonating an Artificier or a Bard, it would stand out if she can't do class specific features or magic. It's probably all about dialogue there, though. But it's already a warning sign when a custom party char suddenly has a dialogue with the MC, then you immediately notice that something is wrong, because this did not exist before, unlike with companions... I am curious how Larian has solved this.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus

Why so many story spoilers with the villains anyway? It's undermining their introduction in-game. A shapeshifter especially. Now it's no longer the shocking surprise it could have been. Can't they do the marketing with different Tavs and companions fighting cool monsters and exploring?

Yes pity. It was even spoiled their recognition feature, when it is not wrapped in an illusion by her shapeshifting ability...

I wonder who she would impersonate by a full custom party? I mean, if she's impersonating an Artificier or a Bard, it would stand out if she can't do class specific features or magic. It's probably all about dialogue there, though. But it's already a warning sign when a custom party char suddenly has a dialogue with the MC, then you immediately notice that something is wrong, because this did not exist before, unlike with companions... I am curious how Larian has solved this.
Depending how far in the game that happens it's possible you might not have any companions. Only person at camp would be the respec dude because you can't kill or tell him to move so I wonder if she'd shapeshift into him then...or she might be forced to just pretend to be a stranger or show herself for what she is without initial pretenses. I also wonder how she'd prioritize who to impersonate if you have a full party...would she prioritize the love interest maybe? Not sure.

But I am glad they showed this. I LOVE her so much, probably not happening but would be great if we could turn her into an ally for evil characters. That would be absolutely rad.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 28/07/23 05:21 PM.
old hand
old hand

Depending how far in the game that happens it's possible you might not have any companions. Only person at camp would be the respec dude because you can't kill or tell him to move so I wonder if she'd shapeshift into him then...or she might be forced to just pretend to be a stranger or show herself for what she is without initial pretenses. I also wonder how she'd prioritize who to impersonate if you have a full party...would she prioritize the love interest maybe? Not sure.

But I am glad they showed this. I LOVE her so much, probably not happening but would be great if we could turn her into an ally for evil characters. That would be absolutely rad.

Yeah, you might be right about that.
Well, as long as the impersonated character doesn't show me the red daggers / short swords beforehand or during the course of the conversation, Orin won't be revealed to me like on a platter question exclamation

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 28/07/23 06:06 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yeah, you might be right about that.
Well, as long as the impersonated character doesn't show me the red daggers / short swords beforehand, Orin won't be revealed to me like on a platter question exclamation
That tell might be intentional because while she can shapeshift her weapons don't and she would have to bring perfect replicas of the weapons you actual companion uses...which...probably not.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am curious why the default class for Dark Urge was Sorcerer if they are leaning towards Bhaal-themed equipment and gear, unless the gear changes depending on your class. Monks can have stealth as a proficiency, but that would be way too much variation just for one Origin character, even one as intriguing as the Dark Urge.

Evil always finds a way.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
I am curious why the default class for Dark Urge was Sorcerer if they are leaning towards Bhaal-themed equipment and gear, unless the gear changes depending on your class. Monks can have stealth as a proficiency, but that would be way too much variation just for one Origin character, even one as intriguing as the Dark Urge.
Not sure who much being default matters. But all the Bhaalspawn were technically sorcerers.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard