Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
This is hardly a surprising news tho, is it? smile

I mean ... they made a name on that trademark, now they expanded beyond Swens wildest dreams (his words not mine) ...
But working at something that is your own is allways better ... both as a project, and from financial standpoint.
It would be a shameful waste to leave Divinity lie in dust and forgotten. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I could love BG3 and still have absolutely no interest in playing a D:OS game.

I stopped enjoying D:OS2 after act 1. My experience playing D:OS2 definitely did not leave me wanting a sequel.

It would be surprising if they didn’t make another D&D game, after investing so much time and money into BG3.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Anyone know how much BG3 needs to continue to sell to be considered significantly profitable?

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Oh hey, hype. I'll be glad to see them return to the DOS series.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Xurtan
Oh hey, hype. I'll be glad to see them return to the DOS series.
How dare you have a different opinion than me.

Personally I would hope to see 1-2 expansions for BG3 first, maybe up to Lv 16 (if not 20).
Would also go for entirely separate campaign of smaller scope + cast, so they can avoid the hassle of having to integrate with main campaign and its many choices.

veteran
veteran
I imagine Larian could work on more than one project at once. A team working on a DLC, and another team working on DOS3.

Originally Posted by JandK
I imagine Larian could work on more than one project at once. A team working on a DLC, and another team working on DOS3.

Yes, could depend on the size of each project probably. Maybe they could also handle it in different stages, begin pre-production of DOS3 while developing BG3 DLC maybe.

Last edited by endolex; 27/07/23 10:55 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by JandK
Sounds like splitting the party. I think I'd rather Larian go all-in on one thing at a time, even if that thing is not what I wanted.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I think they have mentioned wanting to work on two games at once, haven't they?

It wouldn't shock me if they take 300-350 people to start to build Baldur's Gate 4 and then take the remaining 50-100 to build a Divinity game - then they could staff up as they see fit for both teams. They could keep Divinity more of an AA game and release a new one every 2-3 years, then release a new Baldur's Gate or larger franchise game every 4-6 years.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Id like to see an expansion, along with a gm mode, and other "missing" things they didnt have time for

All the classes + extra
Extra races
An expanded sword cost, or the assets for us to build our own

Im gessing they will just skip straight to dos3 announcements though because this is what i would find most disappointing haha

Last edited by Xzoviac; 27/07/23 11:53 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Here's what's going to happen:
-No major expansions to BG3. There will be small additions here and there like new armor sets and items, and potentially associated small quests.
-No BG4. No more DND games.
-DOS3 confirmed.
-Larian lays off at least 25 members of their 400-strong staff.

old hand
old hand
I've played DOS1 and 2. I enjoyed them both (eventually, DOS2 was rough at first), but they're not on my "favorite games of all time" list. I'll be looking forward to DOS3 - just in a much more casual way than I've been anticipating this game.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
It's too early to tell for me, if BG story is really concluded and BG4 is unlikely to happen, but I see at least a room for some DLC, if only to up the level cap to the epic level area. I was always a sucker for high level content. But judging from Swen's words during Dropped Frames interview, they are not really excited to create high level content, so this will likely not happen.

As for another D&D game, I wouldn't mind it to be set in FR, but also I wouldn't mind it to be set in other D&D settings (Planescape, Eberron, Ravenloft), as long as the level of quality will be on par with BG3.

Some months ago, before all the latest news, panel and interviews with Swen I kind of hoped they will build their next projects around BG3 in some way, that it will be supported for a couple of years at least, but now unfortunately it seems this was always a one time project, that will only be supported with bug fixing and there will be no new content added. Which is a damn shame, they could add some stuff from other rulebooks than just PHB and whatever else they were drawn from.

I'm not thrilled of Divinity 3, because I don't find both DOS and DOS 2 a spectacular games. Yes, they were very enjoyable gameplay-wise, but I guess the world and lore was not as much interesting to me as in other games (FR, Dragon Age or TES series for example).

As already said, WoTC seems very happy how BG3 is shaping and if sales will go high, they will do much to convince Swen to do another D&D game. If it'll use BG3 engine is entirely different matter, maybe they will try to experiment with different kind of game. I just hope they won’t have a bright idea to go with an open world Skyrim-like game, because this will be novelty for them and I fear it would be too much of a challenge. But Swen is a stubborn guy, so you never know smile

I would love, just LOVE, to play a vast open world game based in FR, but honestly I'm not sure who would be the best fit to do it. Bethesda or Rockstar won't risk it, they will stick to their own franchises, the same with CDPR. All companies have probably the plans written for years to come. So, it leaves us with Obsidian, but I'm very much not convinced they can pull it off. The Outer Worlds has mixed opinions, some love it, some say it's boring and repetitive, Avowed is yet to impress the audience (they failed to do it just yet). But I think Obsidian is the most likely to jump into a well established franchise and do such game. But yeah, Avowed will be a test if they can do it. And yeah, Josh Sawyer being *very* defensive with BG3 setting a high bar makes me fear Avowed is much smaller in scale than many of us hopes for. To me, the drawback is also the setting, because Eora is highly overrated to me. Well, to put it in different words, the potential there is high, but the way Obsidian presented it to me so far, was very disappointing. I played both PoE and PoE and finished only the second game (which I liked a lot!), but the problem is that after all this time I... don't remember any names, places or historic lore events from those games, except Eder and Aloth characters. And I'm positive it's not me who is the problem here, it's these games. I hope they can interest me with their setting in Avowed, though. This is the main requirement for me to say, they can make a great game set in FR. I definitely see a room for two FR games, one from Larian, in the vein of BG3 and second from Obsidian or other big parties that specialize in open worlds. WoTC should really be a bit more generous in offering their precious license.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
-No major expansions to BG3. There will be small additions here and there like new armor sets and items, and potentially associated small quests.
-DOS3 confirmed.
^This.

veteran
veteran
-DOS3 confirmed.
That's a very terrible outlook after the game when all signs point to becoming a massive success and Swen has openly said within the past week or so that WotC are VERY happy with BG3. So I don't see why they'd downsize and give up on D&D.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
That's a very terrible outlook after the game when all signs point to becoming a massive success and Swen has openly said within the past week or so that WotC are VERY happy with BG3. So I don't see why they'd downsize and give up on D&D.
They also said that "There's big pressure from inside the company to consolidate because they grew too much, too fast" and then he added in another context that he's "not sure if he ever wants to work on something this big ever again".

Last edited by Tuco; 28/07/23 04:09 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
-DOS3 confirmed.
This is the darkest timeline you could imagine, or are you gunning for this as a DOS wanter moreso than a BG wanter? (that's the energy I'm feeling) lol.

Anyways, from all accounts it's sold a fairly huge wack in pre-sales already with EA and then the actual market jumping onboard - sales I reckon are going to be solid as, like 5 million after a good while, maybe more if the mainstream really get aboard, maybe way more if it catches fire like Elden Ring did.

No major expansions...this is very un BG like, like...every BG game has had them - Larian hasn't been big on full size ones, but this is Baldur's ******* Gate III...so yeah, it's a new ball park 100%. I hope/expect a TOB style one a year or so away, to take Tav to L20 - would be so good.

No BG4, No more D&D games - why on earth would this happen when it's being lauded by devs as too good to be held as an example how to make games, aka it's scary good to them... what's this stem from for you? WotC have been ecstatic with the progress by the sounds, why would you stop?

DOS3 confirmed - see, this is the line that makes me think you're trying to manifest this whole dark timeline haha...

Larian lays off people? wtf? if anything, if this is successful (like it really seems it will be), why would they do this?

Odd take overall - now that I look at it all together, possibly /s post that I didn't pick up on....hard to say fam 😎

New Zealand's finest Gith with a dark urge for KFC XX
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by IndySandbagTrick
Larian lays off people? wtf? if anything, if this is successful (like it really seems it will be), why would they do this?

Swen has said he wants to do this. In interviews he's said that Larian has gotten too big and he wants to pare the team back.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by IndySandbagTrick
-DOS3 confirmed.
This is the darkest timeline you could imagine, or are you gunning for this as a DOS wanter moreso than a BG wanter? (that's the energy I'm feeling) lol.

Anyways, from all accounts it's sold a fairly huge wack in pre-sales already with EA and then the actual market jumping onboard - sales I reckon are going to be solid as, like 5 million after a good while, maybe more if the mainstream really get aboard, maybe way more if it catches fire like Elden Ring did.

No major expansions...this is very un BG like, like...every BG game has had them - Larian hasn't been big on full size ones, but this is Baldur's ******* Gate III...so yeah, it's a new ball park 100%. I hope/expect a TOB style one a year or so away, to take Tav to L20 - would be so good.

No BG4, No more D&D games - why on earth would this happen when it's being lauded by devs as too good to be held as an example how to make games, aka it's scary good to them... what's this stem from for you? WotC have been ecstatic with the progress by the sounds, why would you stop?

DOS3 confirmed - see, this is the line that makes me think you're trying to manifest this whole dark timeline haha...

Odd take overall - now that I look at it all together, possibly /s post that I didn't pick up on....hard to say fam 😎
I’m a BG wanter. The above is based on past Larian behavior and a bit of liver divination of Swen’s comments. But it’s very darkest timeline for me.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard