Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by NoLoGo
Im glad to see im not the only one who finds Astarion unbrearably overacted
He's not unbearably overacted...the character was specifically designed to come across as an insufferable and arrogant person who looks down upon everyone else. He is supposed to be stepping on your nerves a bit. I mostly just find him naive and in over his head. I don't hate him enough to kill him every playthrough. Haven't decided if I'll keep him first playthrough I just hope he doesn't become a problem where he bites party members all the time...that would be the only reason I'd kill him. Other than that he'll probably just be chilling at camp, I don't really have plans for him to fit in my party first playthrough as my character will be the rogue.

old hand
old hand
I wish Minthara was the Vampire Rogue and Astarion was the killable and negligible as a companion Goblin Leader.... Ahhh shoot! Why didn't it occur to me as a suggestion at that time.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
I wish Minthara was the Vampire Rogue and Astarion was the killable and negligible as a companion Goblin Leader.... Ahhh shoot! Why didn't it occur to me as a suggestion at that time.

That does sound like a much nicer scenario for sure.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
He's not unbearably overacted...the character was specifically designed to come across as an insufferable and arrogant person who looks down upon everyone else.
Really? He doesn't come across all that insufferable to me. A bit of a spoiled brat, perhaps, but well, some people are like that. Lae'zel, meanwhile, with her "you are all inferior" attitude, I'm actually tempted to kill at times. If she only wasn't so useful as a fighter, and if her people weren't so knowledgable about the illithids.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Ieldra2
He's not unbearably overacted...the character was specifically designed to come across as an insufferable and arrogant person who looks down upon everyone else.
Really? He doesn't come across all that insufferable to me. A bit of a spoiled brat, perhaps, but well, some people are like that. Lae'zel, meanwhile, with her "you are all inferior" attitude, I'm actually tempted to kill at times. If she only wasn't so useful as a fighter, and if her people weren't so knowledgable about the illithids.
Even Lae'zel is a naive kid just trying to act out the roll her evil society taught her to

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Are you saying that Minthara actually has anything to recommend her? I mean, she *is* a typical Lolth-sworn drow, right? And Astarion even looks better.

veteran
veteran
I have less of a problem with Lae'zel because she is a Githyanki after all, they are evil aligned, but I also understand how necessary they are to protecting...well...everyone from the illithids. No matter how much you may hate them, it is important to remember that without the Githyanki doing what they do, relentlessly hunting the illithids, everyone across all planes of existence would be screwed.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Even Lae'zel is a naive kid just trying to act out the roll her evil society taught her to
She's clearly bound by loyalty, yes, but she seems mature enough to make her own decisions. We'll see how her story goes. I'd certainly appreciate a different side of her.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Lae'zel is from a creche meaining she is still a literal child. Take her to the Githyanki patroll where shes trying to convince herself the kithrack was some traitor and not a proper loyal gith. She's on her first step on the path to deprigramming.

old hand
old hand
Are you saying that Minthara actually has anything to recommend her? I mean, she *is* a typical Lolth-sworn drow, right? And Astarion even looks better.

The question doesn't arise for me at all if the roles were reversed, because then Astarion would be the Lolth Sworn. He already seems like an arrogant, snooty Sorcere mage. Minthara has fangs for me, both physically and figuratively. Well, probably after Bodhi and Hexxat they didn't want another female Vampire.... Still, I wish it was the other way around, then I wouldn't lean exclusively towards a full custom party.

veteran
veteran
Lae'zel is from a creche meaining she is still a literal child. Take her to the Githyanki patroll where shes trying to convince herself the kithrack was some traitor and not a proper loyal gith. She's on her first step on the path to deprigramming.
Wait until she finds out the truth about Vlaakith...that will be a fun conversation.

Actually Minthara is one of the more interesting characters...she's more of a tortured soul than actual evil. A Paladin, likely oathbreaker, with fear in her heart. She comes across as someone haunted by regrets but hides them well and deep. Of all the companions she has the most interesting story imo. I don't really plan to redeem her, in the end she will serve in my party on the road to power but I look forward to seeing her story and prying her from the clutches of the absolute.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Wait until she finds out the truth about Vlaakith...that will be a fun conversation.

Actually Minthara is one of the more interesting characters...she's more of a tortured soul than actual evil. A Paladin, likely oathbreaker, with fear in her heart. She comes across as someone haunted by regrets but hides them well and deep. Of all the companions she has the most interesting story imo. I don't really plan to redeem her, in the end she will serve in my party on the road to power but I look forward to seeing her story and prying her from the clutches of the absolute.
That does sound interesting, but I guess you can only get her if you side with the goblins, right? Not going to happen I'm afraid.

veteran
veteran
That does sound interesting, but I guess you can only get her if you side with the goblins, right? Not going to happen I'm afraid.
Yes, must side with the goblins...unless the final game adds some entirely new options there that we don't know about.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Yall really acting like a companion you can only get by murdering children can be redeemed?

She the standard loth drow evil, inept and probably never would have been a companion if yall wernt so thirsty.

I wouldent expect turning her into an orphan matron or something.

veteran
veteran
Yall really acting like a companion you can only get by murdering children can be redeemed?

She the standard loth drow evil, inept and probably never would have been a companion if yall wernt so thirsty.

I don't doubt she has a redemption arc actually...not that I plan to pursue it. As for competency, she'll do just fine as a tank in my party.

N
old hand
old hand
N

I don't doubt she has a redemption arc actually...not that I plan to pursue it. As for competency, she'll do just fine as a tank in my party.
Giving a companion locked behind child murder a redemption path is like giving a cat a zucchini lover path

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I

Giving a companion locked behind child murder a redemption path is like giving a cat a zucchini lover path
Just out of curiosity, what do you need to do exactly to have her in your party? And what will you have to overlook? It'll almost certainly remain theoretical for me, but since we're evaluating the character here I'd like to know.

Last edited by Ieldra2; 28/07/23 08:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Fell Omen
There is no proof yet that simply possessing the necromancy tome makes a person more powerful than a collective group of people, and if it can, one would need to master it first which few could. Any and all cooperation Astarion does is for his own survival. Even if he genuinely cared not to kill his comrades, that one thing does not preclude him from being evil. That kind of logic is silly. It's like saying, "Yeah, this guy is a depraved serial killer, but he loves to pet puppies in his spare time--he's chaotic at worst!" A smidge of good does not cancel out evil, and it does even less so if the good is for selfish reasons.

This is why I've been saying that if Larian does give Astarion a "redemption" arc (shifting to neutral at best; that's as far as I can suspend my disbelief), it likely would feel shallow and unearned because Astarion was evil and corrupt in his past life too, and to change for the better requires a genuine want to do so and the ability to feel shame, which I've seen no evidence of in his case. He knows the right words to say (although he says them so disingenuously that I'm amazed our PCs don't have the option to call him out on it) to further his survival. Unless Larian's rewrites didn't stop with Wyll, and they give Astarion a significantly less evil backstory, it's just going to feel out of place and obviously done for the fans with I-can-fix-him fantasies. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth personally, but to each his own, I guess.

I agreewith you about the not killing us doesn't make him not evil stuff, but does he have all that evil of a backstory? Unless people know something that I don't (whichmaywell be likely, I haven't engaged with Astariona whole lot) then he was just a barrister before spending 200 years bound to the will of a sadistic vampire. There's been some light speculation that he was a corrupt barrister but it's only that, speculation. We have less evidence of that than we have of Gale trying to manipulate us. Arguably Astarion's backstory isn't truly evil at all. He was literally compelled by magic, unable to make choices that defied his master. He's not been capable of moral choice until right around when you find him on the beach. So while I don't like him, a redemption arc is totally believable to me. Hell, you could even say he's not really done anything that needs redeeming yet, potentially. He's got a lot of evil thoughts and instincts, but as far as we know that's the fault of centuries of torture and humiliation. Astarion may well have been an entirely different person before he was turned.

veteran
veteran
Just out of curiosity, what do you need to do exactly to have her in your party? And what will you have to overlook? It'll almost certainly remain theoretical for me, but since we're evaluating the character here I'd like to know.
Recruiting her is rather complicated. First you need to help her and her goblins take out some druids and tieflings, then you talk to her at your camp and you have the option of sleeping with her...you can focus on her desire or her fear, focus on desire and she will show her vulnerability after the next event, focus on her fear and she'll be rather resentful and spiteful...either way she then tries to stab you in your sleep under orders from the absolute with how she reacts to being caught depending on what you focused on. But you can talk her out of it fairly easily. She then tells you how to reach Gothic's Castle where she is going to report to Gothric...when you get there she is in...significant trouble with Gothric and you need to do some finessing just so she doesn't get immediately executed, and then you need to break her out of jail...at which point she presumably joins your party though we haven't seen the jailbreak or what may follow yet.

N
old hand
old hand
N

Murder a grove full of refugee teiflings and druids.

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard