Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Here's what's going to happen:
-No major expansions to BG3. There will be small additions here and there like new armor sets and items, and potentially associated small quests.
-No BG4. No more DND games.
-DOS3 confirmed.
-Larian lays off at least 25 members of their 400-strong staff.

"No more DND games" is just nonsense, but the rest seems plausible for sure. Not sure why anyone would be upset about that, all of that has been hinted at. Sure, it's all speculation based on snippets of Swen, but I can see it happening.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
-No major expansions to BG3. There will be small additions here and there like new armor sets and items, and potentially associated small quests.
-DOS3 confirmed.

"No more DND games" is just nonsense, but the rest seems plausible for sure. Not sure why anyone would be upset about that, all of that has been hinted at. Sure, it's all speculation based on snippets of Swen, but I can see it happening.
You really think Larian will make another DND game after what Swen said?

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
old hand
old hand
I've never played DOS, but what I'm wondering all the time is if it wouldn't be a dream of Swen's if his Divinity world would be included into the Forgotten Realms?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
-DOS3 confirmed.

You really think Larian will make another DND game after what Swen said?

Oh Larian? I have no clue, I thought you meant "no DND games period" lol.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Of Corse They will make More D&D Games it would be A Dumb Business Move if they Didnt. And Im Sure they will also Make a DOS3, It Might even be the next project but they will %100 make more D&D Games!!!!

veteran
veteran
Makes sense. They have been more or less expanding on the same game for what now... over 10 years? It will be good for them to get the reative juices flowing into another direction.

Originally Posted by kanisatha
There won't be a BG4 no matter how well BG3 does, because the BG story is as done as it can possibly be.
Story was done as it can possibly be after Throne of Bhaal and that didn't stop them hehe.

Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
That's a very terrible outlook after the game when all signs point to becoming a massive success and Swen has openly said within the past week or so that WotC are VERY happy with BG3. So I don't see why they'd downsize and give up on D&D.
They also said that "There's big pressure from inside the company to consolidate because they grew too much, too fast" and then he added in another context that he's "not sure if he ever wants to work on something this big ever again".
Tis true, that with the company growing this enourmous layoffs might happen at some point or another. I can't be bothered to listen to the interview again, but my impression was that they want to work on multiple projects rather than pumping all into one mega game again. That's what they did before D:OS1 success. After pumping out two all company encompasing cRPGs after another, it might be a smart move to allow smaller teams to pursue more reasonably scaled projects for a bit.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I only said 25 layoffs as a conservative estimate. If they’re serious about consolidation I would expect a 10% cut.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
I've never played DOS, but what I'm wondering all the time is if it wouldn't be a dream of Swen's if his Divinity world would be included into the Forgotten Realms?

Definitely not. Baldur’s Gate 3 has helped Larian grow their studio and get more exposure, but they very much want to own their own IP. It is the same reason BioWare made Dragon Age and Mass Effect instead of just continuing to make D&D and Star Wars games.

If the Divinity world was somehow folded into the FR then Larian would need to give up ownership and creative control.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
There won't be a BG4 no matter how well BG3 does, because the BG story is as done as it can possibly be.
Story was done as it can possibly be after Throne of Bhaal and that didn't stop them hehe.
True enough, but that's exactly why I'm pretty confident about no BG4, because BG3 (the name, not the game) was such a hard sell already such that BG4 (again, the name) would be too much of a stretch. Besides, I can't see either Larian or WotC even wanting to use the "BG" name for yet another game. They've got their name-recognition/nostalgia mileage out of BG3, and I'd guess pretty much exhausted it. It just makes sense for them both to agree on launching an entirely new franchise, and very possibly using a setting other than FR.

addict
addict
Hasbro/WotC consider D&D to be under-monetized, and are focussed on "rectifying" that. Their main goal is to find new recurring revenue streams, which they intend to achieve by moving the TT game to using their online services, where thay can entice players with new content ( mostly cosmetic, I suspect, in the same manner as Fortnite ), as well as more traditional dungeon master content and support.

Tie-in products like BG3 or the D&D Movie, provide large revenue bursts followed by a long low-revenue tail, but also cross-marketing for the TT game, so they are very useful if they are successful.

Although we don't know the details, it seem unlikely that the contract between WotC and Larian is just "one-and-done"; there are probably clauses that allow further collaboration, even if the ideas are vague. That may be why Swen was not very specific about when DOS3 might appear on their roadmap. The immediate future will be making BG3 the best game it can be ( fixing the inevitable bugs, resolving inconsistencies, adding small amounts of complimentary content ), if Larian follow their previous patterns. After that, game profitability and contractual obligations/opportunities will probably dicate their next steps.

Last edited by etonbears; 28/07/23 09:44 PM. Reason: Wonky typing...
addict
addict
True enough, but that's exactly why I'm pretty confident about no BG4, because BG3 (the name, not the game) was such a hard sell already such that BG4 (again, the name) would be too much of a stretch. Besides, I can't see either Larian or WotC even wanting to use the "BG" name for yet another game. They've got their name-recognition/nostalgia mileage out of BG3, and I'd guess pretty much exhausted it. It just makes sense for them both to agree on launching an entirely new franchise, and very possibly using a setting other than FR.

Depends on the reception for BG3. Oldies like us may think BG1/2 as defining the name, but that may not be true in 6 months if BG3 is as successful as it might be; BG may simply become a franchise name for content in the region/city, perhaps moving on to follow newer characters introduced in BG3.

I'm sure when we play the full game, it will become apparent if there is any room for continuation - so, if Gale explodes taking the entire (remaining) cast of the game with him, there's probably less scope for an interesting follow-on wink

W
veteran
veteran
W
If Baldur’s Gate 3 is a massive success and reestablishes major brand name recognition the way Fallout 3 did, I would love for their to be more sequels. That just means more big budget CRPGs getting made that might not get produced without the low risk safety net a big name provides.

apprentice
apprentice
I really really hope so, I fired up Original Sin 2 on my new 1440p monitor yesterday and the game felt more amazing than ever. Definitely needs another sequel.

I'd say I'm a Forgotten Realms wanter rather than a BG wanter, although I'm hoping for a few things like rolling for stats being added to the PC/Mac and PS5 versions when they are finally able to release the game on xbox.

D
addict
addict
D

Final Fantasy 16 enters the chat...

D
addict
addict
D
Regardless of what Swen says now, if BG3 is even close to as big a hit as some people are predicting, then there will be a sequel, and it will have "Baldur's Gate" in the title (though they may go avant garde with the number).

They may do something else as a palate cleanser first though.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Davaretta
I really really hope so, I fired up Original Sin 2 on my new 1440p monitor yesterday and the game felt more amazing than ever. Definitely needs another sequel.

You just made my day 😁 Don't worry, Larian won't make another BG game or possibly even another FR game for a long time. You're safe.

I loved DOS2's combat but really couldn't get into the story which is why I stopped playing after around 90 hours... compare this to the 330+ hours I have in BG3 EA lol.
This said, I am not opposed to a new DoS, especially if it will carry on what they learned with BG3 when it comes to presentation and storytelling.

People say they'd want to see Larian tackle Planescape but honestly.... I just want them to do justice to the World of Darkness! I'd love to see them do Dark Ages. It doesn't even have to be Vampire the Masquerade/Requiem nor anything similar to a Bloodlines 2 (we all know how bad the paradox game is going to be lol) it could be changeling, werewolf the apocalypse, promethean.... damn, there is so much good lore that never gets used properly :(((

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
addict
addict
Nearly everyone I know always quit playing DOS or DOS2 after xxhours because of xx annoyance.
For me it was the pointless easy-mod itemization & unlimited gold, boring story, un-immersive world (time is still) and that annoying toilet chain UI.
Combat gameplay was fun though.

In BG3 HALF of all that was fixed.... So I am actually looking forward to DOS3!!

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 29/07/23 05:18 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
Nearly everyone I know always quit playing DOS or DOS2 after xxhours because of xx annoyance.
For me it was the pointless easy-mod itemization & unlimited gold, boring story, un-immersive world (time is still) and that annoying toilet chain UI.
Combat gameplay was fun though.

In BG3 HALF of all that was fixed.... So I am actually looking forward to DOS3!!

This post has a plot twist I never expected.

Also looking forward to DOS3 more than BG4. Don't expect the scale of BG3 though. I'd prefer it to be a carefully handcrafted but smaller game with a lot of intricate and smart design choices (the area Larian struggle with most) and therefore, a ton of replayability.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard