Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Kind_Flayer
I personally think you should be able to change starting class. However, I do think there should be a pop-up warning, such as:

“This character’s story and dialog options were created under the assumption that __________’s starting class would not be changed. Special dialog written for this character may no longer be consistent with his/her new class. Changing the character’s class may negatively impact the player’s experience.”
This is a decent compromise.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
In addition to my previous post I would also like to say - I do wish Larian had set aside more of the development time/budget on producing additional companions (not necessarily origins) so that they would have had one for each class.

journeyman
journeyman
I don't care much either way, I feel like the companion classes are an important part of their identity so I won't be changing them if given the option, but it doesn't bother me at all that some players might do it in their games.

Originally Posted by Tuco
I don't like it, I don't want it. There can be such a thing as "too much freedom" when it comes to setting rules for a game.
I don't like it because it removes any thematical consistency.
I don't like it because it removes gravitas from a character.

And as I already said elsewhere "If you don't like don't use" is a great principle applied to your collection of sex toys but absolute garbage when applied to game design.

I could agree with this argument if we were talking about an intrusive system that actively hindered gameplay (e.g., a game with an overcomplicated crafting system that becomes significantly more difficult if I don't engage with said system), this is not the case, you'd have to purposefully go out of your way in order to change something that you claim you don't want to change. It's really as easy as not doing something the game doesn't push you towards and you don't want to do.

Last edited by KLSLS; 13/07/23 01:09 PM.
veteran
veteran
As I said, I won't change them, it doesn't make sense for me. Multiclassing is something else - Wyll might want to look for another career path, if he still wants out of the pact with Mizora, after they changed his Story.
Shadowheart is a trickery domain cleric and an urchin, she might want to delve a bit deeper into the rogues trade.
But they start as warlock and cleric of Shar for me.
I don't care, if class change is implemented, I won't use it.
I might have voted wrong, I dropped my phone and while grabbing it, I must have accidently voted. My answer would be I don't care

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
stranger
stranger
I think it's fine as an option, I am always a fan of options (as long as all the options are playable). I don't think I will change any companion in my first run, but who knows what stuff I'll try in later runs? Could be silly, could be fun.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Interesting that this poll has completely different results from the other. 🧐

Easiest 1 of my life. I struggle to immerse myself in Larian games already. It's bad enough multiclassing restrictions were removed, they sure don't need even more dissonance between story and gameplay.

N
old hand
old hand
N
The thing is none of the origins are actually bound to their starting classes storywise.

In fact you could argue some make more sense multiclassed or as diffrent classes entirely then not.

Gale is in a weird spot. He shouldn't even be able to be a wizard anymore. Maybe the tadpoles shadowmagic gives him a connection to the shadoweave? But lorewise he should be restricted to just the illusion and necromancy schools really.

Shadowheart doesn't behave like a cleric, much less a Sharan one.

She should be able to commne with shar, especially so near an area saturated with shar magic. Instead of spending her nights peforming ritual murder and praying to shar though she goes on dates and is just generally way to lo nice. Add in Shadowhearts random spontaneous magic and she's probably not a cleric of shar at all, she just thinks she is.

From what we have seen of new wyll mizzora is more of the tradional evil devil tormenting him now, if you take wyll on a good path trying to get out from under mizora's thumb he should be reclassesed almost immediately as a patron wouldent be giving power to a failure trying to break away from their controll

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Would be even more interesting ... if the old one would still be active.
Is it still possible to vote there?

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Would be even more interesting ... if the old one would still be active.
Is it still possible to vote there?
I did!

OP Offline

Trolls do tend to get different reactions. Life's funny that way.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Silverstar

Lol Rag’s not a troll
He’s just got a very specific sense of humor.

Probably, probably the third "I don't care option" confluted into the "sure, do it if you like it". We can't really know.

... because it's fun!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sansang2

Probably, probably the third "I don't care option" confluted into the "sure, do it if you like it". We can't really know.

The fact that one option was a subtle insult to anyone who picked the other option, which was an overt insult to anyone that picked it, will skew results there.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
I don't like it, I don't want it. There can be such a thing as "too much freedom" when it comes to setting rules for a game.
I don't like it because it removes any thematical consistency.
I don't like it because it removes gravitas from a character.

Different people like different things.
When you create Tuco Studiosᵀᴹ then you can design a game that only caters to your likes.
Larian makes games for their millions of fans, not just you.

And as I already said elsewhere "If you don't like don't use" is a great principle applied to your collection of sex toys but absolute garbage when applied to game design.
Leaving aside your fixation with other people's sex toys, the option to do this in no way shape or form affects your choice not to do this. If only want to play Wizards you should not be offended that there are options to play other classes. You can still choose just play only Wizards in your play-throughs.

The fact that one option was a subtle insult to anyone who picked the other option, which was an overt insult to anyone that picked it, will skew results there.

Yeah, it was an insult, but honestly it's an insult about that I can get behind.

It might be harsh, but this discussion can be reduced to "Are you ok with a new option being introduced in the game even if you don't like it?" or "Are you against the idea of strangers that you will never meet will play the game in a way different than yours?"

And honestly, one of these two opinions is not respectable.

Last edited by Sansang2; 13/07/23 01:48 PM.

... because it's fun!
The funniest thing about this (in a tragicomic sense) is the fact that this poll will most likely have 0 impact on Larian's final decision at this stage.

veteran
veteran

Yeah, it was an insult, but honestly it's an insult about that I can get behind.

It might be harsh, but this discussion can be reduced to "Are you ok with a new option being introduced in the game even if you don't like it?" or "Are you against the idea of strangers that you will never meet will play the game in a way different than yours?"

If you feel that way, fair enough. You may even be right. But don't dress up an insult as any kind of meaningful way to gather information. It's an insult, there wasn't anything constructive to take away from it.

veteran
veteran
I did!
After lock?
Then prehaps not all hope is lost ...

Thank you, for telling me.

Thank you.

-----

Anyway ...
I would like to use this new topic to calmly, respectfully, and politely ask anyone who will be willing and able to try explain me what is narrative difference between:

Astarion 1Rogue 11Paladin
and
Astarion 12Paladin

Paladin was picked as direct contradiction to Rogue, no deeper meaning behind it, feel free to replace it with litteraly any other class you want.
//Edit: Including Life Cleric of Kelemvor! xD

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 13/07/23 01:57 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Originally Posted by Alodar
the option to do this in no way shape or form affects your choice not to do this. If only want to play Wizards you should not be offended that there are options to play other classes. You can still choose just play only Wizards in your play-throughs.
"It's optional" is not a good take on this problem at all imo. Commitment to a choice is an important aspect of a well-designed rpg, always has been and always will be. The very fact that we can change our class at any later point cheapens the initial choice of class. This goes doubly for companion characters whose classes are tied to their stories and express things about them.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard