Z
Originally Posted by Zabdas
What, again ?

Oh yeah, dubbing.

My bad.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
I... Just have trouble with the aversity Germans have to learning a second language, I suppose.

Lol, what do you think about French people then, who really hava an "aversity" to learn a foreign language, especially English?

In my opinion English speaking tourists are doing pretty well in Germany. If ordering something in English all the German staff will understand you, even cashiers in supermarkets usually don’t have a problem with basic English. Many Germans speak decent English in my opinion.
F.e. I've been to Italy lately for vacation and I really can't say the same about Italians. Most (southern) Italians even in tourist locations like the Gulf of Naples, Bari or Sicilly don't speak good English.

But as a major nation in Europe we tend to enjoy some privileges smaller nations don't. Just as the French, we expect Hollywood movies or Netflix series and such to have a dubbing in our language. I don't have a problem watching a movie in English (my English surely isn't perfect, but good enough), but it's way more convenient watching it in German.

Anyway concerning BG3 I can understand, that a German dubbing might be simply too expensive for Larian and not economically reasonable, despite the rather large group of German native speakers (at least for European standards not so much for worldwide ones, though).

Last edited by Ragnarök; 03/08/23 12:12 AM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
If this game is getting ANY dub, it would be more economically viable to get a Spanish, French, or Chinese dub long before a German dub.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
S
stranger
stranger
S
Ohne entsprechendes Audio (egal ob deutsch, spanisch, französisch usw.) geht in meinen Augen die Immersion eines Rollenspiels verloren. Man möchte ja ganz und gar in die Welt und das Geschehen eintauchen, das mitlesen stört dementsprechend.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Can we keep posts in the main forums in English? There is a subforum for German chat at https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=13&page=1.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Wouldn't certain donation levels be possible to enable localisations into other languages?
Yes, even an Obsidian with a strong backer only offered translated texts in Pillars of Eternity, but you can always do better.
The first step is to raise money for the narrator. Followed in the next step by "Dark Desire" and so on.

A
stranger
stranger
A
if it is possible, that larian open kickstarter or something like that, for the money, for german voices, then i definitly want to spent money.
for me, i can enjoy the game 100 % , only, when the Language is in the native language (German)
i hope so, Larian opens his heart and give the kickstarter feature a chance.
smile

D
stranger
stranger
D
Yes please give us german voice!

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
I'm reasonably sure that like in other games, any German VA would be so far below the English VA in quality that I wouldn't want to listen to it after playing with English VA. Also, the translations of terms and names of D&D worlds are sometime really stupid and at the very least unauthentic.

So, while I would like to play BG3 in my native language, I have yet to find a game where both the VA and the translation are satisfactory. TW3 did the translation very well, but some voices were just not very good. I would not expect German VA for BG3 to be different.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Why games are never translated in Hindi? They have more inhabitants than China nowdays.

R
stranger
stranger
R
more dubs would ofc be nice but dubbing is a long and expensive thing to do, so i understand why they are not doing it. They have over 2 Million words to dub thats a huge amount...

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Palatinus
Why games are never translated in Hindi? They have more inhabitants than China nowdays.
That’s a good question. If I had to guess, maybe it’s an issue of disposable income? But that can’t be it because there are millions of Indians who can afford to play BG3. Most Indians I know also speak English tho, but that might be because they’re international students or immigrants.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
P
stranger
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
If this game is getting ANY dub, it would be more economically viable to get a Spanish, French, or Chinese dub long before a German dub.
Hmm, I think it's a decision about how much money another language version would generate in revenue. The pure distribution of a language only helps to a limited extent. Purchasing power and demand is probably the more important reason.

And there is a reason why there are so many (good) dubbings in german language...

P
stranger
stranger
P
I must say I was surprised that this AAA title was only released in English. When I finished the intro, I was already very disappointed. I know English - use it every day, but it lacks the ease of play, immersing me in the world becomes difficult.
Do somebody know how good you have to be in English to be able to dive into the game. C2?

X
stranger
stranger
X
BG3 is such a great game, I would pay another 50 Euros for a good German language edition right away without hesitation.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard