Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
First of all, ALL the oaths for paladin except Oathbreaker are about serving some level of good...
Oath of Conquest says hello.

I'm going to make my whole party into Bards now, we're going on tour, our band is named the Eardrum Flayers.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Thebazilly
First of all, ALL the oaths for paladin except Oathbreaker are about serving some level of good...

I'm going to make my whole party into Bards now, we're going on tour, our band is named the Eardrum Flayers.
Oath of conquest is not in BG3.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by branmakmuffin
Originally Posted by neprostoman
I see nothing wrong with companions having an anchoring point in the player-verse which we can then call a 'canonical' or developer's iteration of the story. It does not in the slightest contradict their philosophy of 'play however you like' because it will be a an additional option to play on top of the existing freedom, and the key word here is option. Things like this only keep the universe coherency and eradicate the need for debate like the one we are having here and in the TDU thread I've recently created.
I said (or heavily implied) earlier that if Larian wanted to disallow something from happening in the game for the sake of story coherency, they could simply do so. E.g., if they don't want me to make Wyll into a paladin, then they can keep it from happening.
This is not the only way of doing it. They already did it the other way by narrating their companions through their website with the class descriptions. The way you suggest is actually the one I can see being aggressive towards the player agency. Granting a freedom of choice for those not interested in the plot while having the 'milky way' for people highly invested in the story - this is the way I see it working best. Anyway, this all is not super important, imo. The game narrates itself well enough for interested parties to know what classes could work with what characters, story-wise.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Well, you did say "all." Did you mean "all two of them?" I dunno what WotC did with D&D 4e, but in 5e there are no alignment requirements for classes. An Oath of Devotion paladin, arguably the "goodest" paladin, can be Chaotic Evil. Which, sure, seems a bit at odds with some of the language used to describe the paladin class in the PHB.

veteran
veteran

Well, you did say "all." Did you mean "all two of them?" I dunno what WotC did with D&D 4e, but in 5e there are no alignment requirements for classes. An Oath of Devotion paladin, arguably the "goodest" paladin, can be Chaotic Evil. Which, sure, seems a bit at odds with some of the language used to describe the paladin class in the PHB.
Does that need to be specified in a discussion that is very specifically about BG3? Come on now. It would be necessary to clarify when talking about wider D&D 53 as this topic is about BG3 but not the other way around because the discussion is specifically about BG3.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Does that need to be specified in a discussion that is very specifically about BG3? Come on now. It would be necessary to clarify when talking about wider D&D 53 as this topic is about BG3 but not the other way around because the discussion is specifically about BG3.
Who uses the word "all" when there are only two options? "I tripped and fell and hurt all of my ankles." Or are they adding another Oath for release?

veteran
veteran
Who uses the word "all" when there are only two options? "I tripped and fell and hurt all of my ankles." Or are they adding another Oath for release?
It was a discussion VERY specifically about respacing Wyll, a character that only exists in BG3, into a Paladin, in a thread about what Larian intends for for Origin characters in BG3. Don't pretend to be dumb.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 31/07/23 06:07 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
It was a discussion VERY specifically about respacing Wyll, a character that only exists in BG3, into a Paladin, in a threat about what Larian intends for for Origin characters in BG3. Don't pretend to be dumb.
You know, you make it really easy to reach "agree to disagree."

veteran
veteran
It was a discussion VERY specifically about respacing Wyll, a character that only exists in BG3, into a Paladin, in a threat about what Larian intends for for Origin characters in BG3. Don't pretend to be dumb.
Ok, have fun respecing Wyll into Oath of Conquest...oh wait...

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 31/07/23 06:11 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ok, have fun respecing Wyll into Oath of Conquest...oh wait...
Exactly, oh wait, I never said anything about making Wyll an Oath of Conquest paladin. The only one who said that is you.

veteran
veteran
Exactly, oh wait, I never said anything about making Wyll an Oath of Conquest paladin. The only one who said that is you.
So what you're saying is that your argument has nothing to do with BG3 or its origins in a thread and forum specifically about characters that ONLY exist in BG3 and Larian's intentions for those characters in BG3? That's something that has nothing to do with BG3.

Your ENTIRE point has become nothing but Oath of Conquest since that other guy mentioned it as an attempt to counter my point about how it doesn't make sense to have a paladin Wyll or Shadowheart. Ever since then you have done nothing but drag this off topic because I didn't initially clarify that the "all" I was talking about was in relation to BG3.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 31/07/23 06:48 AM.
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Kal Spiro
As much as I love fully customizing, I would also like to build out the Origin Characters the way Larian envisioned them. Is there a canon build for each of the characters to max level? Like, I assume Wyll is meant to be Pact of the Blade, but I don't even know what subclass La'zel and Astarion are supposed to be.
Origin characters have changed a huge amount during EA, and are already very different from how the where "envisioned" 3 years ago.

One of the conceits is that they where formally high level and got reset by the tadpole. So Wyll was a bladepact warlock, but this time he can choose a different path.

old hand
old hand
Minsc is a Ranger, but Barbarian fits his 'canon' too, what with him a Rashemi Berserker. Champion Fighter too, with the Fuuulll Plate, and Packing Steel.
Shadowheart is a Cleric of Shar, Rogue levels fit her too, what with her being a secret operative that steals stuff.
Wyll is a Warlock, but can pick Pally levels, I think. IT fits him, or at least, it did.
Jaheira is a Fighter/Druid, however you do that. It's not my 5E combination of the week, but we'll see. Action surge rocks for everyone.
MInthara is a Pally, but I can easily see her as an Eldritch KNight or something. Not much else. [War] Cleric, but then you'd have to pick a deity and unless the Absolute becomes available later, that makes no sense.
Halsin is a Druid. But, Maybe dip him in Totem-of-the-Bear Barbie or something. I think that fits him.
Astarion could be a lot of things, really. Rogue is fine, but I think Necromancer suits him, but Dex Fighter too.
Karlach, nah full on Barbie for her. Two levels of Fighter maybe.
Laezal- Full on Eldritch Knight. But. Maaybe Paladin. Yeah,. I see that, but the oath depends on her story.
Gale is a Wizzard, but which one? I think... ALteration. Could have Lore Bard dips.

Wait, hang on Is Gale really the only Arcane Caster in the whole list? I'm gonna find Tiax.
Edit: Holy crap. Larian has some serious balls. If you pick the Durge, fantasize about some arm twenty seconds after the tutorial - you're going trhough the entire game without access to an Arcana caster. Sure, hirelings, but damn.

I love it. Gives me Megaton vibes.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 31/07/23 07:20 AM.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
MInthara is a Pally, but I can easily see her as an Eldritch KNight or something. Not much else. [War] Cleric, but then you'd have to pick a deity and unless the Absolute becomes available later, that makes no sense.
In EA, there is no necessary connection between a cleric character's deity and its domain. So if release works the same way, whether or not any particular combination of deity and domain does or doesn't "make sense" is entirely up to your head canon. And maybe that's how you mean your post to be taken.

Last edited by branmakmuffin; 31/07/23 07:21 AM.
old hand
old hand
Yes, but it is going to come up in a convo sooner or later, and that stuff doesn't sit too well with me.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
veteran
Minsc is a Ranger, but Barbarian fits his 'canon' too, what with him a Rashemi Berserker. Champion Fighter too, with the Fuuulll Plate, and Packing Steel.
Shadowheart is a Cleric of Shar, Rogue levels fit her too, what with her being a secret operative that steals stuff.
Wyll is a Warlock, but can pick Pally levels, I think. IT fits him, or at least, it did.
Jaheira is a Fighter/Druid, however you do that. It's not my 5E combination of the week, but we'll see. Action surge rocks for everyone.
Halsin is a Druid. But, Maybe dip him in Totem-of-the-Bear Barbie or something. I think that fits him.
Astarion could be a lot of things, really. Rogue is fine, but I think Necromancer suits him, but Dex Fighter too.
Karlach, nah full on Barbie for her. Two levels of Fighter maybe.
Laezal- Full on Eldritch Knight. But. Maaybe Paladin. Yeah,. I see that, but the oath depends on her story.
Gale is a Wizzard, but which one? I think... ALteration. Could have Lore Bard dips.

Wait, hang on Is Gale really the only Arcane Caster in the whole list? I'm gonna find Tiax.
Shadowheart starts as too devoted to her faith to really justify my multiclassing IMO as she takes her mission for Shar very seriously and would likely only delve deeper in her faith. Now I suspect that redeeming her from the influence of shar might lead to a forced respec into a different cleric subclass but we don't really know.
Wyll is bound to serving a fiend...binding to a Paladin oath would be like getting stuck between a rock and a hard place...do good and keep oath but get punished by the fiend or obey the fiend but be branded an oathbreaker...bad match imo.
Jaheira we know next no nothing about.
Minthara I suspect her paladin background could become important in her story...she seems to be a fallen paladin of some description but we'll have to find out more.
Halsin - the only place I'll dip him is in a grave at the start of every playthrough...but seems basically all druid.
Astarion as a vampire depends on blood to live so being a master of stealth is kind of vital to him.
Karlach yeah, all barbarian for sure.
Lae'zel is rather ruthless and more evil aligned...she could not hold a paladin oath and would almost certainly end up oathbreaker.
Gale - he was one of the most powerful archmages alive, rommanced and betrayed the goddess of magic, but his ambition is still to be the most powerful mage. He would not multiclass into anything else.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, but it is going to come up in a convo sooner or later, and that stuff doesn't sit too well with me.
Then you don't have to do it in your game, right? If someone makes a Life Cleric of Bhaal, so what?

veteran
veteran
In EA, there is no necessary connection between a cleric character's deity and its domain. So if release works the same way, whether or not any particular combination of deity and domain does or doesn't "make sense" is entirely up to your head canon. And maybe that's how you mean your post to be taken.
In the final game the Life domain Cleric is recognized in conversations specifically as a Cleric of Selune, and Trickery domain Cleric is specifically recognized as a Cleric of Shar...so the game does define those subclasses pretty well...plus Larian have confirmed that two characters' subclasses are locked...they haven't confirmed specific identities but they are almost certainly Shadowheart and Wyll...so you probably can't change Wyll's patron or Shadowheart's faith.

addict
addict
Next, wrong about that. Warlock Fiend patrons are not deities...full stop. If a DM wants to say you are the warlock of a deity but you still play as Fiend Warlock that's homebrew, which DMs are allowed to do but BG3 as a videogame can't accommodate that.

Asmodeus would like a word with you...

Asmodeus is both a greater deity (as of Descent into Avernus) and can be chosen as a fiendish patron of a warlock pact (as stated in the PHB). An exception, sure, but still possible.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kendaric
Next, wrong about that. Warlock Fiend patrons are not deities...full stop. If a DM wants to say you are the warlock of a deity but you still play as Fiend Warlock that's homebrew, which DMs are allowed to do but BG3 as a videogame can't accommodate that.

Asmodeus would like a word with you...

Asmodeus is both a greater deity (as of Descent into Avernus) and can be chosen as a fiendish patron of a warlock pact (as stated in the PHB). An exception, sure, but still possible.
Don't think this can apply to BG3...interesting change I wasn't aware of, but don't think it will be relevant here.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard