Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by branmakmuffin
That description doesn't sound all that Bioware-ish. Is that from a mod?
No, it was in the Original, from the Tales of The Sword Coast expansion. You can find it in Durlaq's Tower. Then again, it was Black Isle then, so maybe that's why smile

Edit: There are actually a fair number of descriptions in BG1 that came straight from Hasbro / TSR

Last edited by rodeolifant; 31/07/23 09:27 AM.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
That description doesn't sound all that Bioware-ish. Is that from a mod?
No, it was in the Original, from the Tales of The Sword Coast expansion. You can find it in Durlaq's Tower. Then again, it was Black Isle then, so maybe that's why smile

Edit: There are actually a fair number of descriptions in BG1 that came straight from Hasbro / TSR
I don't have AD&D 2e books to consult to see how the description reads in PnP. So maybe that is the exact wording from TSR.

veteran
veteran
Still, this was a great item for Viconia, as a Good Cleric is of more use in BG1 than an Evil one.
not sure how you get to that idea... Viconia is my bitch and turning undead to my side in a battle helps me a lot more than making them pop

as a sharman my spirts not popping = great
in the final battles of BG2 using wish to bring vampires in then having Viconia turn is an easy win against many boss fights because they have no defence against level drain

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
in the final battles of BG2 using wish to bring vampires in then having Viconia turn is an easy win against many boss fights because they have no defence against level drain
Well, you are clearly better at thinking outside the box than I am.

B
B
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
That woman was going to sell her newborn son for the resurrection of her husband...there's a key element of consent missing there...from the one person that pays with his life...I don't think anyone involved in that deal is "good".

I was referring to her brothers laugh

Solarian #872694 31/07/23 10:37 AM
old hand
old hand
I play No-Reload with SCS/Ascension. I have no time for those shenanigens, way too risky. ToB section is *ludicrously* hard with those mods.

Regardless. That helmet is in BG1 only, not in BG2; although you *can* get Viconia to Neutral through Romance.
Which, admittedly, suits her better to begin with. She never does something truly evil in-game, is loyal to a fault and the only evil things she does story wise is in self defense, againt other evil people. Slaying evil is parmitted in AD&D, and essentially, good.

Brewman #872696 31/07/23 10:39 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Brewman
They're not wrong for their actions though. Good people don't bargain with the lives of the innocent, and if their sister won't see reason they are just in their action to step in. You can try to reason with the hag but no, she wants the baby and the mother isn't much more reasonable. So violence it is, and certainly justified. You sound like you are interested more in a lawful evil role with more of a corruptive role rather than stabbing. More of a lawyer of the devils type.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 31/07/23 10:41 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Regardless. That helmet is in BG1 only, not in BG2; although you *can* get Viconia to Neutral through Romance.
Which, admittedly, suits her better to begin with. She never does something truly evil in-game, is loyal to a fault and the only evil things she does story wise is in self defense, againt other evil people. Slaying evil is parmitted in AD&D, and essentially, good.
I guess technically it's not 'in game" since we don't see her do it, but the Fist merc is pursuing her because she murdered a family, and it wasn't the Manson Family.

Solarian #872700 31/07/23 10:49 AM
old hand
old hand
Oh hang on, I'm in the wrong here. I mistook the 'evil rapist family' she described in her Romance in BG2, for the one she killed in/prior to BG1.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh hang on, I'm in the wrong here. I mistook the 'evil rapist family' she described in her Romance in BG2, for the one she killed in/prior to BG1.
I rarely have her in my party, I find her banter annoying. Plus the rep hit.

Solarian #872709 31/07/23 11:01 AM
old hand
old hand
Evil is the way to go in Bg2, though. Edwin/Anomen/Viccy and Korgan make for the strongest team there is; plus the 20% Damage resist from Evil Hell trials.

edit: And the Human Flesh Armor. Oh, yes.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 31/07/23 11:01 AM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Evil is the way to go in Bg2, though. Edwin/Anomen/Viccy and Korgan make for the strongest team there is; plus the 20% Damage resist from Evil Hell trials.

edit: And the Human Flesh Armor. Oh, yes.
I used to be able to kill dragons in BG2 without turning on story mode. Then I took an arrow to the enthusiasm.

old hand
old hand
I play No-Reload with SCS/Ascension.

On Hardcore / 50% Damage increase. I NEED to powergame, or I won't make it. I;'ve never made it all the way, actually.

Solarian #872714 31/07/23 11:09 AM
veteran
veteran
she is drow and evil so by the laws of the area that is enought to kill her on sight
she also uses sex to get her way and [between bg1 and 2] we learn she was raped and killed them for it
for the record i also play No-Reload with SCS/Ascension and have gotten 1 character to the end... several dozen didn't of course but i agree she works better [story wise] as Neutral

this is a good example of evil characters being worth your time to learn, her story is complex and you can easy skip all of it by saying to that first Ironfist merc "yes she is evil so go ahead and kill the bitch"

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
enthusiast
enthusiast

On Hardcore / 50% Damage increase. I NEED to powergame, or I won't make it. I;'ve never made it all the way, actually.
Hey, if you need to power game, you do you, Back in the late Jurassic, I always played on PnP mode and beat the game several times. But now, I just don't have the patience to do all the prep work of setting up Chain Contingencies and all the other stuff I used to do to whack Firkraag.

old hand
old hand
she is drow and evil so by the laws of the area that is enought to kill her on sight
Yeah, the thing is, the old alignment system doesn't really wade into.. 'How evil' , just evil. Neutral, Lawful or Chaotic doesn't really set a scale here, either.

So, a burglar that steals for his own benefit is evil.
A Matron Mother that tortures and sacrifices a bunch of innocent captives is evil.
A Skeleton is evil. It fights, sure, but mindlessly. It is, however, just by creature type, evil.
Demogorgon, The Prince of Demons is Evil.

And they're all just as evil.

It doesn't work. And, frankly, none of those systems work. You can put a scale to it, like Mass Effect or KotOR did, but... Doesn't *really* work.

for the record i also play No-Reload with SCS/Ascension and have gotten 1 character to the end... several dozen didn't of course
Awesome, what did you play when you made it? My most recent and actually best attempt was a HOrc F/T, made it all the way to the Ravager.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I

Hey, if you need to power game, you do you, Back in the late Jurassic, I always played on PnP mode and beat the game several times. But now, I just don't have the patience to do all the prep work of setting up Chain Contingencies and all the other stuff I used to do to whack Firkraag.
You don't need that much prep work for Firkraag, even if you play with SCS. But I get what you mean. If you play with SCS, the amount of preparation you need to to is going to be crazy, especially in ToB. And then someone gets a lucky crit in and one-shots one of your party to perma-death anyway. I can't even imagine playing no-reload.

As for evil companions in BG2, I used to care more about this but the evil ones are actually quite a bit more enjoyable than you might think, and Korgan is a beast, easily worth two of the other fighter types. I mod my reputation to be capped at 18 and enjoy them for what they are. My favorite character types are off-the-scale on the live-and-let-live meter so it tends to work well.'

Solarian #872743 31/07/23 11:48 AM
old hand
old hand
Well. There's a bunch of things you need *constantly*, like Death Ward, Imp Haste, Impervious Sanctity of Mind and Chaotic Commands; but the game lets you hotkey these. And I've been doing this for over twenty years. I am *so* used to it and fluent in the game with the hotkeys that way, that this no longer takes any effort on my part.

And yeah, no-reload is a *serious* challenge, as indeed;

A single Fire Giant with Crit Strike and 5APR at 23 STR will murder Mazzy or Korgan in one second. Even Korgan can't tank past Suldanesselar, he needs to weave, or hunt Mages.

That's what I meant with; 'Powergaming is required' - Every bit of Physical resistance is needed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well. There's a bunch of things you need *constantly*, like Death Ward, Imp Haste, Impervious Sanctity of Mind and Chaotic Commands; but the game lets you hotkey these. And I've been doing this for over twenty years. I am *so* used to it and fluent in the game with the hotkeys that way, that this no longer takes any effort on my part.
We all have fun in different ways. I used to enjoy doing stuff like that (although not to your degree), but not any more.

Originally Posted by Ieldra2
You don't need that much prep work for Firkraag
One thing we can rely on with the internet, if someone says "X is kind of hard/challenging/tough," some anonymous rando will pop up and say "Naw."

B
B
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Originally Posted by Brewman
They're not wrong for their actions though. Good people don't bargain with the lives of the innocent, and if their sister won't see reason they are just in their action to step in. You can try to reason with the hag but no, she wants the baby and the mother isn't much more reasonable. So violence it is, and certainly justified. You sound like you are interested more in a lawful evil role with more of a corruptive role rather than stabbing. More of a lawyer of the devils type.
My entire point was that Mayrina's brothers are the only "good" people that we meet. xd
To be fair to Mayrina, she thought that Ethel was actually going to raise her child as a wizard, an education she feels she could not provide the baby alone.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard