Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Kendaric
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Next, wrong about that. Warlock Fiend patrons are not deities...full stop. If a DM wants to say you are the warlock of a deity but you still play as Fiend Warlock that's homebrew, which DMs are allowed to do but BG3 as a videogame can't accommodate that.

Asmodeus would like a word with you...

Asmodeus is both a greater deity (as of Descent into Avernus) and can be chosen as a fiendish patron of a warlock pact (as stated in the PHB). An exception, sure, but still possible.
Think that applies to Dendar and Tharuzdin too.

Also Vlaakith, although she is probably a lesser deity, but 5e doesn't make a rules distinction.

And in the Explorers Guide to Wildemount (WotC) the table of "Lesser Idols" has 10 beings who empower both clerics and warlocks. + Vecna, who is Greater Deity in Exandria, and also a warlock patron.

Last edited by FrostyFardragon; 31/07/23 10:27 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by branmakmuffin
Then you don't have to do it in your game, right? If someone makes a Life Cleric of Bhaal, so what?
Yeah, I don't mind. Make her a volunteer at the soup kitchen for all I care. I was listing what I thought would suit her.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by FrostyFardragon
And in the Explorers Guide to Wildemount (WotC) the table of "Lesser Idols" has 10 beings who empower both clerics and warlocks.
Ew, you just had to mention Critical Role.

veteran
veteran
And in the Explorers Guide to Wildemount (WotC) the table of "Lesser Idols" has 10 beings who empower both clerics and warlocks.
I feel obligated to agree with this. While technically WotC material it should be unanimously agreed to not speak of that abomination.

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
I feel obligated to agree with this. While technically WotC material it should be unanimously agreed to not speak of that abomination.
EgtW is the best (equal, alongside Eberron) 5e setting book WotC have published (admittedly a low bar).

Last edited by FrostyFardragon; 31/07/23 10:33 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
EgtW is the best (equal, alongside Eberron) setting book WotC have published (admittedly a low bar).
Egad.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Okay, the OTT dissing of Critical Role and outputs is meant in good fun and we're actually perfectly fine with folk who enjoy it. Right?

And of course, not enjoying it is also fine.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Okay, the OTT dissing of Critical Role and outputs is meant in good fun and we're actually perfectly fine with folk who enjoy it. Right?

I'm totally fine with people enjoying things I do not enjoy, including Hawaiian-style pizza. I do tell people Critical Role is not a very good way to learn to play D&D, however.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

I'm totally fine with people enjoying things I do not enjoy, including Hawaiian-style pizza. I do tell people Critical Role is not a very good way to learn to play D&D, however.
As a Hawaiian pizza lover, you wound me, good sir.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
old hand
old hand
Whoa, whoa, let's keep things civilized people. This isn't Nam, there are rules. Come on. Pineapple is for ice Cream, and other desserts. It goes nowhere else. It's just the rules.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Whoa, whoa, let's keep things civilized people. This isn't Nam, there are rules. Come on. Pineapple is for ice Cream, and other desserts. It goes nowhere else. It's just the rules.
Pineapple on ice cream is barely short of squeezing lemon juice on ice cream. Sure, pineapple is a lot sweeter than lemon, but it's pretty acidic.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

old hand
old hand
i need to watch this again.

veteran
veteran

This thread went off the rails and I love it.

But joking aside pinapple on pizza is a disgrace.

Last edited by Wormerine; 31/07/23 11:36 AM.
veteran
veteran
I would also like to let the companions level up as their creators intended. If I have to do it myself, everyone will end up more or less optimized and it's not the most interesting or fun route.

That said, Larian should put some good effort into planning these characters. I haven't seen that so far. During EA, I've seen the companions' stats bounce around here and there, using default stats, cool looking custom armor having sub-par stats and being instantly replaced.. no thought given to stats or equipment.

Funnily enough, Lae'zels starting armor always was top tier from level 1 even though that armor is something you can loot in an armor starved EA. Shadowheart's Sharran "upgrade" armor from Grymforge had the same chain shirt AC. Adamantine armor has sub-par stats. Game is full of equipment with weird conditional abilities that can't match a simple +1. It seems they don't put a lot of thought into these matters.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I would also like to let the companions level up as their creators intended. If I have to do it myself, everyone will end up more or less optimized and it's not the most interesting or fun route.
I think the point is to level them up as you intend, not as Larian intends.

Game is full of equipment with weird conditional abilities that can't match a simple +1. It seems they don't put a lot of thought into these matters.
I think they did put a lot of thought into magic items. Simple + items are boring. The game has magic items along the lines of what I put into my PnP games.

F
addict
addict
F

Kind of an odd thing to say, since Critical Roll could have learned their stuff by watching us play in the 1980s.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by 1varangian

Its a tricky situation, i fully welcome the ability to respec and multiclass the companions. I like the ability to select my companions to my liking and to my character and i would feel a little "forced" to select a Companion becourse i "need" that particular class in my team somehow.

for more freedom the story around some companions probably "should" not have been created around "class" features but more about personal problems to be solved in the backstory.

one could still roleplay some sense into respeccing by arguing wyll is so desperate to get rid of the pact that he decides to follow a different path, or the Gale is so fed up with magic now (or lost it alsmost completely) that he decides to change careers also hehe

Astarion has the least problem in my opinion, his story should work whether he is a rogue, cleric, wizard or even a paladin. His mission seems to be to get rid of his master, even a paladin could have been ambushed and turned into a vampire spawn.....

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Wormerine

This thread went off the rails and I love it.

But joking aside pinapple on pizza is a disgrace.
IF THE ITALIANS CAN PUT PROSCIUTTO ON MELON I CAN PUT PINEAPPLE ON PIZZA
HOW DARE YOU

veteran
veteran
Kind of an odd thing to say, since Critical Roll could have learned their stuff by watching us play in the 1980s.
Whoever they learned from were poor teachers. Mercer homebrews way too much and their stories are just awfully written. Their popularity is very alarming though and will cause great harm to D&D in the long run...they are bringing a lot of people on board, new DMs even, who never properly learn how to play. Combine this with the way WotC is handling the D&D IPs and the sad reality is we desperately need someone to step in and save 5e the way Pathfinder 1e saved D&D 3.5e before 4e which forced D&D to be better and step up their game. But everything revolving how modern D&D is being handled and popularized is all wrong.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 31/07/23 12:11 PM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard