Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fylimar
I do love both and many of my fellow PnP player play both too. I don't know, if we count as the typical computer game player though.
In my opinion, you don't, and neither do I.

When I used to play D&D Online, there were two broad groups of players: MMO players and D&D players (plus some who were both). The two groups did not mix well,

Last edited by branmakmuffin; 31/07/23 10:05 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Despite having played cRPGs for years (decades!), BG3 has got me personally interested in the tabletop game in a way that no other game has previously. I think it's because, as I've said before, it somehow gives me a feel of what I imagine (hope!) tabletop D&D to be like, albeit with our screens showing us a lot of what would have to be brought to life only in our imaginations round a table. And that for me has made me think about that pen and paper experience in a way that other cRPGs that are more straightforwardly just games set in a fantasy world haven't.

So far, that interest has only extended to watching streams of people playing online, but a gaming cafe has recently opened just round the corner from where I live and I'm considering dipping my toe in to see what I think. Though perhaps after my first BG3 playthrough grin

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
Funny thing about that is, is that this is *exactly* what the original Baldur's Gate was designed to do. I have the feeling they try to give that experience here, too.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Despite having played cRPGs for years (decades!), BG3 has got me personally interested in the tabletop game in a way that no other game has previously. I think it's because, as I've said before, it somehow gives me a feel of what I imagine (hope!) tabletop D&D to be like, albeit with our screens showing us a lot of what would have to be brought to life only in our imaginations round a table. And that for me has made me think about that pen and paper experience in a way that other cRPGs that are more straightforwardly just games set in a fantasy world haven't.
BG3 does a much better job of simulating PnP than other D&D-based CRPGs, in my opinion. I haven't played a vast, unending array of D&D CRPGs, but I have played a few.

So far, that interest has only extended to watching streams of people playing online, but a gaming cafe has recently opened just round the corner from where I live and I'm considering dipping my toe in to see what I think. Though perhaps after my first BG3 playthrough grin
I know not everyone has the same kind of in-person gaming options I do, but in my opinion, if you want to try D&D, find some people and play it, in person. If feasible.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Funny thing about that is, is that this is *exactly* what the original Baldur's Gate was designed to do. I have the feeling they try to give that experience here, too.

Oh yes, I agree and that’s one thing I like about BG1&2 more than many of the games they inspired. For me, the feeling was strongest in BG1, which I think is why BG3 gives me more of a BG1 vibe (fine by me, as in many ways I’m fonder of that than BG2). But for me BG3 takes it to another level and shows the D&D workings more openly. Though perhaps with the popularity of D&D streaming and greater public consciousness of D&D from things like Stranger Things, I’m also both more alive to the link to the TT experience than I was when I started playing BG1 all those years ago and it’s easier to find out more once inspired!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
For those of you who never played tabletop D&D:

Tabletop D&D is first and foremost a social experience, in a way that a computer game will never be. Be prepared to sit and laugh about little things with your fellow players, or perhaps you will get into a conversation that has little or nothing to do with the game. You will need to be able to enjoy the company of other people, and you will need to enjoy the suspense and thrill about what will happen in a week when you meet again. Imagination is a key word in tabletop D&D. You will not have images and video served on a platter to illustrate everything. You will have to imagine the look of that fireball blasting through the enemies' ranks, and it should make you just as excited as seeing the scene play out on the screen.

And perhaps the most important element in a good tabletop D&D campaign: A good dungeon master. You can have inexperienced players that don't know their way around the game, and it won't matter, as long as they take it serious and don't deliberately try to sabotage the game. But a good dungeon master is essential for making the game run smoothly and give you a good experience. The dungeon master should be prepared to respond to every crazy decision the players come up with. Because in contrast to in a computer game there are literally no limits to what you can do or where you can go. Usually the players go along with what you have prepared as a dungeon master, but if they suddenly decide they don't care about that evil wizard and his tower that all the locals are talking about, and instead want to see what's going on in the other end of the world map, well that's just too bad. The dungeon master will then have to figure out what they might meet in that part of the world. It doesn't happen very often, but the possibility is there.

For those of you wanting to try it, I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. Tabletop D&D is not for everyone, but for those who like it, the memories of adventuring with your friends in an imaginary world will stay with you for as long as you live.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard