Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
First of all, drow should be grouped under Elves. Thus Elves could be these "high elves", "wood elves" or "drow" (or dark elves).
It works for Duergar, it works for gnomes, why not for elves?

That would also necessitate to simplify essentialy identical Lolth-sworn and so-called Seldarine Drow (Eilistraee-sworn) by removing the distinction and unbounding race of drow from the belief in Lolth.

I think a simple "choose your deity" screen for all races, not only Clerics, should be a-ok. Whether it be purely symbolic or had some consequences, would be up for Larian - but I think many people want it, especially Paladins (for flavour reasons).

If Larian wanted Drow to be their own thing:
In EA so called Seldarine share the Lolth-Sworn dialogue options and basically are 1:1 of Lolth-sworn for all intends and purposes. I'm not aware of any difference in look they could have. It’s SO odd, lore wise, for a Seldarine Drow to do that since they go extreme ways reject the House system of Drow society and oppression of males to still talk like a Drow feminazi.

I suppose it would make sense for the generic [Drow] tag, normally, but given specifically NOT TYPICAL DROW OPTION - there should be a [Eilistraee-sworn] option to show they have a markedly 180 degrees different outlook.

Also Seldarine Drow should be renamed to Eilistraee-sworn.

Last edited by Marsovian; 31/07/23 03:27 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Marsovian
First of all, drow should be grouped under Elves. Thus Elves could be these "high elves", "wood elves" or "drow" (or dark elves).

That would also necessitate to simplify essentialy identical Lolth-sworn and so-called Seldarine Drow (Eilistraee-sworn) by removing the distinction and unbounding race of drow from the belief in Lolth.

I think a simple "choose your deity" screen for all races, not only Clerics, should be a-ok. Whether it be purely symbolic or had some consequences, would be up for Larian - but I think many people want it, especially Paladins (for flavour reasons).

If Larian wanted Drow to be their own thing:
In EA so called Seldarine share the Lolth-Sworn dialogue options and basically are 1:1 of Lolth-sworn for all intends and purposes. I'm not aware of any difference in look they could have. It’s SO odd, lore wise, for a Seldarine Drow to do that since they go extreme ways reject the House system of Drow society and oppression of males to still talk like a Drow feminazi.

I suppose it would make sense for the generic [Drow] tag, normally, but given specifically NOT TYPICAL DROW OPTION - there should be a [Eilistraee-sworn] option to show they have a markedly 180 degrees different outlook.

Yep Seldarine Drow should be renamed to Eilistraee-sworn, the drow subrace thing works since it represents their cultural divide like how the Gith is split into the Githyanki and the Githzerai, having it be a simple drow would muddle things, like what if you pick the wrong kind of dialogue and say something out of character, the deity thing should be a thing, the main difference is the eye color, Seldarine Drow don't have the Red Eyes.

Last edited by Sai the Elf; 31/07/23 03:41 PM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
Good points - but a good point can be made that Drow are distinct enough as to deserve their own label. True, the Evul! dwarves do not, but demanding consistency from fantasy worlds and video games is a high ask.
Also, I regard Lollthsworn = umbrella term for Drow following the Evul! Elven pantheon, and Seldarine = followers of ANY God not making part of the Evul! Elven pantheon.
Larian was a bit inconsequent and a bit confusing here, I agree. But as Deity DOES. NOT. MATTER, no big deal.

addict
addict

Agreed. This was discussed a few times in the past, notably in that thread.

Again, a frequently-made request (again, to no avail). I suppose that the best-named thread for this is Everyone should have a Deity. There was also much request for this in the particular context of Paladins, notably in this thread or that thread.

I'm less fond of this. I mean, Seldarine Drow means nothing. But leaving this non-sensicality aside, I think (and I could be wrong) that what Larian meant to do is for "Seldarine Drows" to refer to Drows that don't follow Lolth. And clearly, a Drow that doesn't follow Lolth could follow anyone. Eilistraee might be a popular option, but I'm sure that Vhaeraun is as well.

Anyway, I don't want to imply that your thread should not be, but I feel that it contains two distinct topics, and each of those already have threads that could be used. Unless you want to focus the discussion on how the two topics are linked (and they are). But it feels as it your opening post leans more toward discussing Drows, and if that is so, maybe this thread could be merged with the Focused Feedback: On Drow.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm having trouble grasping why this matters. Is it just an esthetic thing?

Last edited by branmakmuffin; 31/07/23 09:54 PM.
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Deity might matter, as we have dialogue options with Lolth, I guess these are connected strictly with le evil drow but there are (and will be ) Lolth creatures that obvious can be reasoned...by directly speaking with Lolth or mentioning her. As is in game.

Same goes for Warlock Patrons - they will make their presence known.
Shadowheart obviously is of Shar-Selune thing.
Gale has his thing with Mystra,
Froggie goes full Vlaakith (and we know there will be a n interaction there).

Absolute will probably concern at leasy some gods. Same goes for Dark Urge.

Flavour is the most basic case of "let there be a few lines of dialogue and few lines of code!" but quite obvious decisions can be made with deities practically - as demonstrated above.

I'm not speaking 40 gods, but at least the major ones (there are not many) and about a few special guys - like Lolth(can be worshipped by non-drow), said Vlaakith(exclusively for Githyanki).
Let's say your Githyanki guy worships Selune. Suddenly you have Vlaakith on your toes at some point - like she sends a patrol of Gith to hunt you down (and you have a wonderous occasion to get a silver sword AND after taking it - another patrol of Gith looking for it! Endless githyanki mooks!).
And so on, and so forth.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I The Run

The Run was a group[3] ritual that followers of Eilistraee undertook at least once per year. They went on a journey through the surface world, relying on their music, kindness, and skills with the sword to not be hunted and killed for being drow. The goal was for followers of the Dark Maiden to go where they were strangers, reaching communities of surface races to bring them food, their art, and help of various kinds. The participants didn't preach their faith, but worked to build relationships and to share their culture. The journey was also meant to be a growth experience, as the participants were encouraged to learn and/or pass on new songs, music, recipes, and sword techniques as they traveled.[2] Alongside the normal day-to-day activities of the faithful, the Run could show that the drow were able to coexist at peace with other races, and strengthen their presence on the surface. Those who took part in the Run used particular boiled leaves and berries to make their hair silvery[2] (an act that usually led to sarcastic remarks from drow of other faiths that this color indicated their foolishness or mental illness—even though drow who did not worship Eilistraee could also have silver hair[32]). Non-drow participants used natural colors to paint their bodies black. The Run usually lasted a month or a month and a half, but it could go on for as long as a season or even a year, depending on the situation.[3]

This is literally 1:1 Seldarine thing that Larian has. Let's see:

"Drow are the result of an ancient schism between the elven deities Corellon Larethian and Lolth. The latter's treachery drove the drow into the Underdark, where they splintered into warring factions. Seldarine drow can be found seeking allies from all over Faerun, aiming to settle their conflict with Lolth - and each other - by any means necessary."

Given that in recent lore E-girl quite literally subsumed another, this time neutral drow deity - she is basically anti-lolth, with all else drow gods being lolth-lite.

Link Copied to Clipboard