Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I've played a lot of BG1 & BG2 over the years, and having a thief in my party was critical (at least in my opinion) for traps & locks (of which there were a lot of), but in BG3 there's only one companion with thief skills. If I don't take him along, and I don't create a thief-type character myself, do you think that will be a problem? I know there's the "knock" spell for locks and the "find traps" spell, but those take up precious spell slots. Also, we only have 4 party members total instead of 6 like in BG1 & 2, so it's going to be harder to chose who to take along.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Shadowheart is an urchin so she can be used as your lockpicker.

She is also a trickery cleric so it's kind of her thing. Astarion will still be slightly better but won't be mandatory, especially with the power of save scumming.

veteran
veteran
The skill "Sleight of Hand" is actually needed to disarm traps and open locked chests as well as picking pockets because BG3 doesn't have thieves tools, which would normally be requires in 5e. So all in all I'd say, rather necessary, unless you wish to miss out on a lot of loot.

W
veteran
veteran
W
5E is more forgiving in this sense. You can have a non-thief character take on the role of a thief. They won’t be as good at it, but it is serviceable.

Also, because of the way Larian’s maps are designed, it is unlikely you will be confronted with a trap that you just need to walk over and eat the damage if you can’t disarm it.

H
stranger
stranger
H
The Knock spell can be used to open locks at least.

veteran
veteran
In EA, familiars can disarm traps and any locked object can be broken.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I've also noticed that you can "creatively disarm" some traps. Typically, by shooting at them.

Originally Posted by neprostoman
Technically, anyone can disarm a trap if they have enough hit points.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Rogues do a lot more than open locks and disarm traps. For me, a rogue is a must. In EA, if Tav is not a rogue, then Astarion is always in my party,

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by Thebazilly
Technically, anyone can disarm a trap if they have enough hit points.

Cleric's Disarm Trap.

One thing I really enjoy is not having to have the classical "Fighting man, Cleric, Magic-User and Thief" classes.

I will experiment with other classes to take over some of the tasks, or even forgoing it completely. Because if we have mandatory classes, we *need* more group slots. And more variety.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Fox of Embers
One thing I really enjoy is not having to have the classical "Fighting man, Cleric, Magic-User and Thief" classes.

I will experiment with other classes to take over some of the tasks, or even forgoing it completely. Because if we have mandatory classes, we *need* more group slots. And more variety.

Ditto. One of my first playthroughs is going to be 2 druids and 2 barbarians. I’m really looking forward to running oddball party builds.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Fox of Embers
I love it.

What I hate is not having any room to maneuver around it, on the other hand.

Last edited by Tuco; 01/08/23 07:10 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Protip: many of the puzzles and traps can be defeated by putting rocks/crates/barrels on the holes/flowers in the ground. Also every trapped chest I've encountered has a key (or scroll with a prayer). I wouldn't be terribly concerned about traps.

Protip 2: while it is helpful to have someone with good Dex and Sleight of Hand dexterity, the only penalty for failing a lockpick is that the pick breaks. You can keep trying until you run out of picks and you get tons of picks.

Back from timeout.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wow, all this fixation on traps and locks.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by branmakmuffin

True, we forgot stealing!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by branmakmuffin

True, we forgot stealing!
And more. If PnP Thief got two bonus actions, I'd never play any other Rogue sub-class.

Last edited by branmakmuffin; 01/08/23 07:37 PM.
veteran
veteran
Since I often play high dex characters myself, I just give them Sleight of Hand or I use Shadowheart, since I can't stand Astarion. So far, it worked well.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
You don't need thief - in 5e a lot of other characters can fill their role - lockpicking and disarming traps aren't exclusive to them anymore. Just make sure that a character with decent dex invests into relevant skills.

veteran
veteran
But Expertise is tasty and I'm not going to play a bard anytime soon.

(Or am I?).

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard