Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Originally Posted by branmakmuffin
You could go Gloomstalker, any dex fighter fighter, or shadow monk.
Nothing duplicates a rogue's sneak attack, or a BG3 thief's 2 bonus actions a round (although there is an item in EA that lets a character get an extra bonus action when they're at 50% health, or something like that). If a BG3 player doesn't care about sneaky sniping, then it's no big deal if no one in the party can do it. For me, it's a "must have."
A level 7 character who takes 5 levels in ranger gloomstalker and 2 levels into fighter can take 6 attacks on the first round of combat if they action surge.

You could also go pure champion or pure Hunter and still do really good.

Beastmaster is a bit of a wildcard as we don't know the later progression, but it'll probably be really good too

ooh! I was going to go gloomstalker/battle master 5/3 to start for the 6 attacks and the BM maneuvers. Is that viable in BG3?

enthusiast
enthusiast
You could go Gloomstalker, any dex fighter fighter, or shadow monk.
Nothing duplicates a rogue's sneak attack, or a BG3 thief's 2 bonus actions a round (although there is an item in EA that lets a character get an extra bonus action when they're at 50% health, or something like that). If a BG3 player doesn't care about sneaky sniping, then it's no big deal if no one in the party can do it. For me, it's a "must have."
A level 7 character who takes 5 levels in ranger gloomstalker and 2 levels into fighter can take 6 attacks on the first round of combat if they action surge.

You could also go pure champion or pure Hunter and still do really good.

Beastmaster is a bit of a wildcard as we don't know the later progression, but it'll probably be really good too
If you're going to bring multi-classing into it, then I'll have a level 5 GS and a level 3 (and on) thief. Again, 2 bonus actions a round is huge. A fighter can action surge once per short rest. A BG3 thief gets 2 bonus actions every round. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Battlemasters, but that's not what the thread is about.

EDIT: Trying to work out the arithmetic for that GS5/F2. Let's see, if dual-wielding, first round is 2 attacks with the MH, 1 OH, 1 from Dread Ambusher, then action surge, for 2 MH, then 1 OH (I think). Not sure if they would get another Dread Ambusher attack from Action Surge. I think they would, If so, that's 8 attacks on the first round if they use Action Surge.

Last edited by branmakmuffin; 01/08/23 10:03 PM.
addict
addict
As proficiency requirements go up - so will the need for a Rogue. Slight of hand skill will be useful, but expertise is going to get better use later. Another reason to level Shadowheart with 3 levels of Rogue(Thief).

apprentice
apprentice
Sorcerers make fine lockpickers and deceivers as well.

I can really endorse picking the Wild Magic archetype, lots of fun and some specific dialogue about the power of chaos.

And auntie Nettie believes you are far superior to any Wizard. Gale, on the other hand, is very much not impressed.

Last edited by Davaretta; 01/08/23 09:57 PM.
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Wow, thanks guys for the tips (as well as the other commentary). I haven't played the EA version so I don't know as much about the companions as some of you guys do, and I forgot that Shadowheart was in the Trickery Domain, so he may be an option. I'm leaning towards my first character beging one of the Bard subclasses, or one of the Ranger subclasses, which would give me high dexterity. Probably not the strongest class combat-wise, but a Ranger a lot in the old BG games and really enjoyed it. Picking the right party composition is going to be tough since we can only have a 4 man/woman team, and I know I'll want to recruit both Minsc & Jaheria once I find them, just for old times sake. Which doesn't leave much room for a thief or rogue.

I did create a rogue in Solasta, and she was devasting in combat, and with the bonus moves she could manuver all over the battlefield. Different type of RPG I know, as it was mainly about the combat, the story beging bare bones (in comparison to BG3 at least), and no personalities as there were no companions to recruit (you created all 4 characters).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rainwalker
I did create a rogue in Solasta, and she was devasting in combat, and with the bonus moves she could manuver all over the battlefield. Different type of RPG I know, as it was mainly about the combat, the story beging bare bones (in comparison to BG3 at least), and no personalities as there were no companions to recruit (you created all 4 characters).
BG3 thieves can do something similar. They can hide, then move, then sneak attack, then disengage. The second bonus action gives the character a lot of options. EDIT: You can almost say they are immune to opportunity attacks.

Last edited by branmakmuffin; 01/08/23 10:10 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rainwalker
BG3 thieves can do something similar. They can hide, then move, then sneak attack, then disengage. The second bonus action gives the character a lot of options. EDIT: You can almost say they are immune to opportunity attacks.

That extra bonus action is unbelievably good in early access. It makes Astarion shine in every run through. I suspect it's gonna be amazing in full release with multiclassing.

In other words, I'm agreeing with this branmakmuffin fella.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by JandK
That extra bonus action is unbelievably good in early access. It makes Astarion shine in every run through. I suspect it's gonna be amazing in full release with multiclassing.

In other words, I'm agreeing with this branmakmuffin fella.
It;s been known to happen. I think it's too powerful, but the PnP abilities thieves get are pretty pathetic, and maybe even completely pointless in a computer game (doing things with Cunning Action, i.e., with a bonus action, that you wouldn't do in combat, so the fact that you can do them with a bonus action is irrelevant).

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Thebazilly
Originally Posted by neprostoman
In EA, familiars can disarm traps and any locked object can be broken.
Technically, anyone can disarm a trap if they have enough hit points.

They can disarm them if they don't have enough hitpoints too. You might need to talk to Withers afterwords though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by dwig
They can disarm them if they don't have enough hitpoints too. You might need to talk to Withers afterwords though.
"And then, just when he thought he had me on the ropes, I punched him in the hand with my face."

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard