Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
addict
addict
Originally Posted by neprostoman
@benbaxter, @Darth_Trethon, respectfully, you are either generalizing much or blowing it out of proportion, if we are talking about this thread in particular. That said, the phenomena described by Darth_Trethon is real, yet it is seemingly not in BG3.

I was definitely generalizing the gaming community as a whole and not any one in particular. If I am responding to someone specifically, I'll quote them.

My point is that we gamers should be willing to accept that some choices have affects beyond just offering slightly different powers or different colored sky beams.

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
Where are you seeing that?

I may be mistaken, that's always a possibility.

But I suspect you saw that some of the powers were listed as "Passive Feature" and some were listed as "Class Action."

The "Class Action" just means that you have to activate the ability with an action, as opposed to the passive abilities.

Please point me to another source if you have one? In all the mix of information that's been coming out, it's possible I missed something. But again, this is what I currently think you're referring to.

Here is potential proof of this, the official BG3 twitter account(owned and ran by Larian), tweeted this:
"Embrace your Illithid Powers as a druid and unlock the ability to Wild Shape into a displacer beast, tentacles and all. (aww, isn't it cute? 🐱 ) #OnlyInBaldursGate"

This appears to suggest what I was saying is correct...that "Class Actions" are indeed tied to your player class, and that the Displacer Beast transformation is indeed a druid only ability. The specifically add it is tied to the Wild Shape power of the Druids that other classes don't have and can't use.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 01/08/23 05:50 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

But I suspect you saw that some of the powers were listed as "Passive Feature" and some were listed as "Class Action."

The "Class Action" just means that you have to activate the ability with an action, as opposed to the passive abilities.

Please point me to another source if you have one? In all the mix of information that's been coming out, it's possible I missed something. But again, this is what I currently think you're referring to.

Here is potential proof of this, the official BG3 twitter account(owned and ran by Larian), tweeted this:
"Embrace your Illithid Powers as a druid and unlock the ability to Wild Shape into a displacer beast, tentacles and all. (aww, isn't it cute? 🐱 ) #OnlyInBaldursGate"

This appears to suggest what I was saying is correct...that "Class Actions" are indeed tied to your player class, and that the Displacer Beast transformation is indeed a druid only ability. The specifically add it is tied to the Wild Shape power of the Druids that other classes don't have and can't use.

This is certainly a strong argument for your position.

I'm going to stubbornly stick to my side of the argument, and if I'm proved wrong in the next few days I will acknowledge that you are right and I am wrong and that you are pretty and that I am ugly.

addict
addict
Bad boy path = in the end you blow up and become a elder brain surrounded by a bunch of Illthids

Good boy path = you get to save your character for the up coming DLC, "Planscape - How do you drive this thing"

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
addict
addict

Counterpoint: The character changing is wearing a bow (not sure, but the armor may be heavy)

[Linked Image from clan.akamai.steamstatic.com]

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by benbaxter
Counterpoint: The character changing is wearing a bow (not sure, but the armor may be heavy)

[Linked Image from clan.akamai.steamstatic.com]
Could be multiclassed but that tweet does say you have to be a druid with the Wild Shape ability to turn into a displacer beast.

veteran
veteran
I'm trying to not think about it too much, but I still can't get over how fucking stupid the idea of "inserting multiple tadpoles in your brain to gain power" really is, even from an "evil" and utilitarian perspective.
I'm honestly baffled that this is what the authors decided to settle for. Even the EA version of having the tadpole growing in power with subsequent uses was a lot easier to sell as a legitimate tentation for the player.

Last edited by Tuco; 01/08/23 07:38 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
I'm trying to not think about it too much, but I still can't get over how fucking stupid the idea of "inserting multiple tadpoles in your brain to gain power" really is, even from an "evil" and utilitarian perspective.
I'm honestly baffled that this is what the authors decided to settle for. Even the EA version of having the tadpole growing in power with subsequent uses was a lot easier to sell as a legitimate tentation for the player.
In the newest community update they refer to it as consuming the additional tadpoles which suggest something mor along the lines of us feeding them to the tadpole already in our brain...which if nothing else it is true that tadpoles eat other tadpoles...that is a thing that happens in illithid brine pools.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Yeah, it is much harder to sell, I agree. Not impossible, because you can make a case about 'needing that precious wicked power up to kill my brother Itachi defeat powerful enemies standing in my way'. I hope they make the highest difficulty hard enough for me to consider it in that sense.

veteran
veteran
In the newest community update they refer to it as consuming the additional tadpoles which suggest something mor along the lines of us feeding them to the tadpole already in our brain...which if nothing else it is true that tadpoles eat other tadpoles...that is a thing that happens in illithid brine pools.
But then again their very own UI shows your additional tadpole "diving in" and carving a hole in your new unlocked talent.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
N
old hand
old hand
N

Therea too types of evil players. The pragmatic evil ones activly trying to rp as self interested and power hungry.

Then you have the people that play infernal pact warlocks and run around murder hoboing to their hearts content.

Tadpole use is for the later type of evil player. Always was.

veteran
veteran
But you can see, that the more, you 'feed' the tadpoles, the more your brain becomes infected and looks dead in the section, where you can choose the tadpole powers.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
But you can see, that the more, you 'feed' the tadpoles, the more your brain becomes infected and looks dead in the section, where you can choose the tadpole powers.
But then again their very own UI shows your additional tadpole "diving in" and carving a hole in your new unlocked talent.
The animation and visual representation could use some help even if only to show our tadpole eating the new one to at least convey we aren't just adding more tadpoles in there to have a party. The blackening of the brain that can probably stay since we are feeding a tadpole to make it stronger.

addict
addict
I'm more interested if the game will let you approach the relationship with the tadpole differently. The character I intend to run with first is a scholarly sort with a fascination with Aberrations and Monstrosities. It's up his alley to experiment with the tadpole for academic purposes up to a certain point. I'll probably dabble with the Illithid powers. Hopefully without going so far his mind is irreparable. But it'd be nice if there was dialogue for using the tadpole that wasn't "I CRAVE MORE POWER!!!!"

The blog did say we can use that power to save Faerun, so I think it'll be less black and white than many here are assuming. You can use the tadpole on your good Tav runs too.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
The animation and visual representation could use some help even if only to show our tadpole eating the new one to at least convey we aren't just adding more tadpoles in there to have a party. The blackening of the brain that can probably stay since we are feeding a tadpole to make it stronger.

Tbh I'm not quite sure, you are feeding otehr tadpoles to your tadpole, that's why I wrote 'feed'. I still think, you insert them into your brain. But no matter, if you feed your own tadpole or insert more, it sounds all kinds of messed up.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
stranger
stranger
A part of me still wants to believe in the theory that they are pushing their more evil-aligned or weird mechanics so people know they can play something else than plain good and sane and still have fun. Considering how repulsive these parasite bodyhorror things can be, I wouldn't be surprised if they want to make it look as cool as possible so people even really contemplate the choice, they said people tend to choose the good paths before. Given that the release is not even 48 hours away I'll wait and see how it now plays out but there's also no chance of my character somehow consuming tadpoles.

To be honest, there needs to be a major twist for me to even consider doing that on normal or good characters, I just personally find the thought so revolting, I want that thing out! Disintegrate me, douse the ashes in Praziquantel and cast True Resurrection if you must! They've often said how choice matters and how there are reactions hidden behind unexpected actions, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now as this abstinence path seems obvious, but I really do understand the doubts. We just have to wait a little longer and see.

veteran
veteran
You know, I was thinking about it. If someone came to me in my real life and forced a tadpole into my eye, and that tadpole gave me special powers above and beyond that of normal humans... I think I could get used to it.

If someone told me that if I put other tadpoles in my head, I'd get even more powers... like I could shapeshift and read minds and levitate and and and and and and....

I'm sure it would be an experience I would hate, but I think I could suffer through it for the end result.

--now if I believed I was going to stop being me, I'd exercise more caution. But a moment of torment and pain for a lifetime of supernatural abilities?

Those tadpoles would be selling like hotcakes, folks. People would be blogging tips about how to endure the initial pain and discomfort.

veteran
veteran
To note, I never said Larian should enumerate exactly what the costs of using the tadpoles will be. I merely want to know if the costs will be roughly equivalent to the benefits, such that it is a true trade-off, or if it really isn't a trade-off and the logical thing to do per Larian's game design is for everyone to use the tadpoles. Same thing on the flip side of the question, the side of not using the tadpole, where I wish to know if it's a true trade-off with equivalent gains and losses.

It's an important question for me, because I will not under any circumstances, use the tadpoles or their powers, but will be extremely angry if this choice results in Larian screwing me over on the trade-off because clearly the gains from using the powers are a very big deal. It would be especially egregious if the good/best outcomes of the game are possible to achieve only by using the tadpole powers.

This is one question I will definitely want to fully know about after people have completed the game and can answer it.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by kanisatha
To note, I never said Larian should enumerate exactly what the costs of using the tadpoles will be. I merely want to know if the costs will be roughly equivalent to the benefits, such that it is a true trade-off, or if it really isn't a trade-off and the logical thing to do per Larian's game design is for everyone to use the tadpoles. Same thing on the flip side of the question, the side of not using the tadpole, where I wish to know if it's a true trade-off with equivalent gains and losses.

It's an important question for me, because I will not under any circumstances, use the tadpoles or their powers, but will be extremely angry if this choice results in Larian screwing me over on the trade-off because clearly the gains from using the powers are a very big deal. It would be especially egregious if the good/best outcomes of the game are possible to achieve only by using the tadpole powers.

This is one question I will definitely want to fully know about after people have completed the game and can answer it.
Its been explictly stated multiple times your going to lose friends and companions by going tadpole.

veteran
veteran
I am going to do a multiplayer run where we see how many tadpoles we can get into our heads and what that does to our group.

I wonder if you can feel them squirming around in there...

Blackheifer
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard