Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Swen keeps telling us to just trust the dice and that, no matter whether we pass or fail checks, there'll be an interesting story. And even that failing can sometimes be in some ways better than passing. I'm going to take him at his word, and if I fail checks then I'll just find some way of dealing with the consequences.

Of course, I expect I'm probably going to play the game multiple times, so if I fail a check one time then chances are I'll see what happens if I pass another time. So just going with the flow is also my way of helping make my playthroughs feel meaningfully different.

I WANT to trust him, but I also have seen straight up "oh you don't get this roll, well now you just have to fight a crazy hard fight" or "roll 4 times in a row to get SH to share a single thing with you. If you fail a single roll she tells you to eff off."

Personally, I'm fine with some crazy hard fights if I fail to talk my way out of trouble (well, unless I get TPK-ed and then it would be a reload!). And indeed being told to eff off if I keep pestering someone to share something they're not ready to, if I'm not quite charming enough about it! Playing and replaying early access has made me a convert to just going with what happens and that becoming the story of my character, with all its ups and downs, so I do believe Swen that we can feel (relatively) safe in surrendering control to the dice.

Of course, I have yet to prove that will stick once a whole playthrough is at stake, but I hope so. I've found it engages my imagination more, thinking about how the party and my character will feel about and react to failing something they really wanted to succeed on. Something like, for instance, failing to save Arabella, could potentially resonate through the whole game for some characters. I actually think I'd find passing all the checks boring, now.

But of course, there's no right and wrong way to play. But with all the zeal of the converted, I'd just recommend people give rolling with the dice a try to see how it feels once they get past the initial discomfort!

okay fine, I'll try

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Killton
This..

Thank you! not sure if you saw my post earlier but I am a BG/D&D noob and had concerns about my party comp
If you're worried about your party composition you probably need charisma because you will have good aligned and evil aligned origin companions and every word you say will offend someone. Some may try to kill you or leave you and you probably need charisma to stop that from happening and potentially forcing you to alter your party composition. Some romance partners can also try to sacrifice or stab you.

Any idea how much charisma to pass most check???

old hand
old hand
Technically you dont need a high score in any of the skills, you could play with 8 in each stat if the game lets you not allocate all your points.

Having said that, I get the feeling someone will mod in the cape from the the first two games that sets your CHA to 18.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SerraShaar
You can think of every +1 as +5% chance of success. So if you need to roll a 20 and you have bonuses amounting to 0 then your chance of success is 5%. If you are playing a charisma driven class and you have 18 in charisma then that's +3 raising the chance of success to 20%, proficiency at the start of the game is +2, raises to +3 at level 5, and +4 at level 9 so that's another +10-20% right there. Then there are cantrips like guidance that give you +1d4. So really the more the better.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
This..

Thank you! not sure if you saw my post earlier but I am a BG/D&D noob and had concerns about my party comp
If you're worried about your party composition you probably need charisma because you will have good aligned and evil aligned origin companions and every word you say will offend someone. Some may try to kill you or leave you and you probably need charisma to stop that from happening and potentially forcing you to alter your party composition. Some romance partners can also try to sacrifice or stab you.

alright, we get it, you're simping for Lae and Minthara, not everyone is trying to get in on that action.

veteran
veteran
This..

alright, we get it, you're simping for Lae and Minthara, not everyone is trying to get in on that action.
Those were just examples, really. I like Minthara but don't really plan to romance Lae'zel. But even romances aside having high charisma modifiers will probably save you A LOT of trouble just with your party members regardless of who you bring and allows you to exert a lot more influence in A LOT dialogues with NPCs and could even alter the course of the story.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 03/08/23 01:30 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
There is a satisfying liberation when you decide you don’t need everything to go right to have the “perfect” play through.

L
L
I've played the same scenes with high and low Charisma characters and had fun with both approaches. It really depends on what you want to play.

addict
addict

No matter how much you stack Charisma there's always going to be an appreciable chance of failure. To take chance (almost) entirely off the table you'll want to invest in spells that improve your chances by granting bonuses and things like advantage.

Honestly, the best thing to do is just make sure one of your companions has Guidance. Shadowheart already comes with it. It's an easy +1 to +4 to a check, depending on the roll. Which can be huge. Look for spells like Enhance Ability too. Friends and other Charm effects can come in clutch, but it has a drawback that once it wears off the NPC will get mad, so only use those on NPCs you never intend to meet again. These spells can be on your companions too, you don't need to build around them. They just need to be nearby to cast them on you.

If you have a decent spread of magical bonuses and proficiency in Persuasion you should be fine even with Charisma as low as 10. Just pick and choose where to use your social spells, since you might not have the slots for it on every check.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Warlocke
There is a satisfying liberation when you decide you don’t need everything to go right to have the “perfect” play through.

I agree and well..im playing the game the way I want with the MC and companions I want..at least for the first playthrough. Based on what I've seen and heard, this is a game I will play multiple times for many years.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lemurion
I've played the same scenes with high and low Charisma characters and had fun with both approaches. It really depends on what you want to play.
It was fun because the stakes weren't that high or that serious...yet. But stuff gets VERY real later where the difference between success and failure in a roll can be rather drastic.

I'm pretty sure my Warlock needs a lot of Charisma...

And not only for spells.
Even in the EA were a couple of extremely important roll checks with a difficulty of 20.
I refuse to fail in my attempt to sexually dominate Minthara during her romance !!!

We have no idea how difficult the rolls can be in the second or third act.

Last edited by Edvin Black; 03/08/23 01:42 AM.
addict
OP Offline
addict

BG3 doesn't have a system that quite works like that. Skill checks are always a set difficulty number, generally between 5 and 20. Then you get to roll a die that can be 1-20 and see if you can tie the difficulty number.

Then you get to add different kinds of bonuses to you die result if you need it. Charisma adds 1 point to your roll for every 2 points above base ten. So you can get up to +3 from charisma at the start of the game.

Next you can add in 2 points if you are proficient in the type of skill you are using (persuasion, deception, etc). Some characters can even get expertise on a skill wich lets them get double points so +4 starting off.

Then you can add in some spell and special ability bonuses. There are two basic types:

Things that let you add extra points with dice: like the guidance spell (+1 to 4) and bardic inspiration(+1 to 6).

Things that give you advantage (which lets you roll twice and if either die ties the difficulty you win): Spells like Friends, Thaumaturgy, and Enhance Ability. The general philosphy is that advantage averages out to about +4 on your rolls

Your party can also get Inspiration points from doing things that are important to them, like Gale reading an important book. Using an inspiration point lets you try the whole roll again if you fail.

Plus if you ever roll a 1 you fail automatically and a 20 automatically succedes.

So the math isn't more than just "Is my charisma high enough?"

Note: the math above is based on first through third levels. As you level up, some bonuses get bigger.

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by benbaxter
Plus if you ever roll a 1 you fail automatically and a 20 automatically succedes.
We haven't yet seen any rolls that require higher than 20 in the public footage of BG3 so far and don't think any were present in early access but they do exist in D&D and generally speaking if a success requires higher than 20 you still have to meet that value even if you roll a nat 20, so rolling nat 20 and failing a roll is possible in D&D when attempting particularly difficult challenges. I wonder if Larian have implemented this in the game...maybe they didn't but it could be something that comes up later in the game where you might start finding roll difficulties of 25 or even 30 if they want to be like "ok, you can try, good luck with that though".

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 03/08/23 02:00 AM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
We haven't yet seen any rolls that require higher than 20 in the public footage of BG3 so far and don't think any were present in early access but they do exist in D&D and generally speaking if a success requires higher than 20 you still have to meet that value even if you roll a nat 20, so rolling nat 20 and failing a roll is possible in D&D when attempting particularly difficult challenges. I wonder if Larian have implemented this in the game...maybe they didn't but it could be something that comes up later in the game where you might start finding roll difficulties of 25 or even 30 if they want to be like "ok, you can try, good luck with that though".

They have the house rule that nat 1s and 20s work on skill checks, too.

I actually failed an illithid wisdom check 0 one time because I rolled a 1.

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
They have the house rule that nat 1s and 20s work on skill checks, too.

I actually failed an illithid wisdom check 0 one time because I rolled a 1.
Yeah, nat1 is auto-failure no matter what, that's the same as in D&D, not a house rule...generally if a task is deemed to need a roll in the first place a nat1 will fail it. A difficulty of 0 generally means it's super easy but will still require a dice roll if the DM still wants you to have a chance to fail it as it might be a minimal challenge but still a challenge. But I don't know about nat20s...if that is consistent with D&D then in the event that difficulties higher than 20 exist in the game(which we don't know if they do), a nat20 may not succeed...depending on what bonuses you have.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 03/08/23 02:33 AM.
veteran
veteran
I'd argue that anyone using karmic dice will often find the rolls easier than not.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
I'd argue that anyone using karmic dice will often find the rolls easier than not.

did they ever clarify the weirdness with those? I read a post that said they were basically always a disadvantage, but Larian said that was a bug and that it should essentially be an advantage?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK

did they ever clarify the weirdness with those? I read a post that said they were basically always a disadvantage, but Larian said that was a bug and that it should essentially be an advantage?
From what I heard there was a bug in the early days of early access that could cause dice rolls to repeat so you could have like five nat1s in a row and the sorts but that was fixed a long time ago so I don't know why it's still there...but it might not be in the full game. I don't know why they'd put it in the full game unless they want to give the player options for weighted dice that are more likely to higher or more likely to roll lower, etc. as a means of altering difficulty...but they should clarify their purpose if they exist in the final game.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard