Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Zixy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm looking for a Crit Chance tooltip or something that would tell me what dice I have to roll to get a crit.

I understand the base Crit is a dice roll of 20, however, I took a passive that reduces a dice roll for Crit by 1. So a roll of 19 or 20 guarantees a crit.

Is there any way to see this somewhere? I could only find Attack Bonus and Damage

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I would imagine not, because crit chance doesn't change. If you roll crits on 20, your crit chance is the chance of rolling 20 on a d20. That's 1 in 20 or 5%. If you take the Champion subclass, you roll a crit on 19 or 20, which doubles your crit chance to 2 in 20 or 10%.

And that's how it goes for every single attack you make. Your crit chance stays the same.

veteran
veteran
Well, you can crit on two values out of twenty. Divide 2/20 and you get 0.10, that's your chance...10%.

Zixy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I might have not explained this very well.

I'm looking for a tooltip or a stat that would tell me what rolls I have to make to score a critical hit.
Example from Pathfinder. In order to score a crit I need to roll from 15-20.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

with Baldur's Gate 3 the only way of knowing my Crit rolls is by going through all the passive skills and doing the math myself

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Zixy
I might have not explained this very well.

I'm looking for a tooltip or a stat that would tell me what rolls I have to make to score a critical hit.
Example from Pathfinder. In order to score a crit I need to roll from 15-20.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

with Baldur's Gate 3 the only way of knowing my Crit rolls is by going through all the passive skills and doing the math myself

Different systems...

in D&D 5e you normally get a critical on a roll of 20 regardless of weapon type. The passive from Champion increases that to 19-20, that's it. It doesn't go higher than that.

In Pathfinder, which is essentially D&D 3.75, the weapon determines your base crit chance and the damage multiplier, e.g. a longsword is crit 19-20, x2. Certain feats/magic items/spells add to that, so that you could end up with 17-20 for a "keen" longsword for example.

veteran
veteran
15-20 critting is absolutely insane...that's a 30% crit chance which is utter and absolute madness. In D&D 5e(which is what BG3 is based on) I don't believe it is possible to further back than 19 for crits, at least not that I am aware of. Now obviously BG3 could decide to implement items or passives that do go beyond that range but still, it is doubtful it will go to that level of absurdity.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 05/08/23 01:06 PM.
Zixy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Got it. If it's as simple as you have explained it, then there really is no need to display the crit rolls
Thanks for the explanation

old hand
old hand
Well, I *have* found items that increase it by one, so you could pair that with a Champion, I guess.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
stranger
stranger
Well I just got The Dead Shot longbow that states when attacking it reduces the number to get a critical hit by one, but also it says "this effect can stack".
So how do I know what the current "stacked" value is?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits...... Albert Einstien
V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by stubbieoz
Well I just got The Dead Shot longbow that states when attacking it reduces the number to get a critical hit by one, but also it says "this effect can stack".
So how do I know what the current "stacked" value is?
Exactly.

Covert Cowl can stake it further. There are many others.

T
stranger
stranger
T
There are at least 4 items that can add 1 to your crit chance + the Champion ability. What I found:

Dark justicar helmet (must be obscured) (Helmet)

Covert cowl (must be obscurred) (Helmet)

Shade slayer cloak (must be hidden)

(Unconditional)

Lvl 3 Fighter (champion)

Saravoks helm. (Helmet)

Blade of the first blood

The dead shot

They all reduce the number necessary to get a critical with no caveats. They stack regardless of status, position, or concealment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Knife of the Undermountain King

Duelists rapier (must be the only melee weapon equipped)

Both if these make a crit on a 19 or 20 roll. These stack with the above options but do not stack with one another.

So all together, I think, you could couple the following:

Lvl 3 Fighter (champion)

Saravoks helm. (Helmet)

Blade of the first blood

The dead shot

Knife of the Undermountain King

...for a total of +5 to crit or crit'ing on a 15-20.

addict
addict
To sum up: Please Larian, let us see crit chance as a single number.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I've been diving into my favorite RPG lately, and I'm trying to optimize my characters for better performance in battles. One key aspect I'm curious about is the critical hit chance (crit chance) for my characters. Does anyone know where I can find this information in the game? I've checked the stats menu but can't seem to locate it.

Also, if anyone needs assignment assistance [ assignment assistance ] for their gaming studies or any related topic, feel free to ask. I've found some great resources that might help!

Link Copied to Clipboard