Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Ahhh crap I wanted to create an Arcane Trickster (4) / Illusionist (8) for some (crowd) control, but read the following report:
Mage Hand Legerdemain Useless + CHA instead INT spellcasting ability

It seems that Larian has ruined the Arcane Trickster as an INT subclass or for INT based multiclasses. Sure I could try a CHA based Archfey Trickster.... I don't know, like one doesn't have enough CHA based multiclass options.... I guess a dip for CHA based Mage Hand Legerdemain would be ok. But that's the second problem. The cantrip is not better than its "normal" form. So I guess a 3-4 Wizard level drop for an invisible Mage hand isn't worth it? Or does anyone have better to report?

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
I doubt this was intentional given how utterly it guts an entire subclass. Just report the bug and wait for the patch to fix it.

Last edited by ZetaZeta; 12/08/23 01:48 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
besides magic hand problems... should sneak attacks(main rogue class feature) applies to casted spells? im just asked cuz it happens in other dnd versions, it was changed in dnd5?
if arcane trickster cant apply sneak attacks to spells, like other rogue subclasses do with theyr attacks - what is main feature of arcane trickster then, since they cant even cast lvl3 spells?

Last edited by Kaitena; 18/08/23 04:32 PM.
old hand
old hand
You still get loads of shield reactions so AT / EK are still useful, but the mage hand is beyond useless now.

Originally Posted by Kaitena
besides magic hand problems... should sneak attacks(main rogue class feature) applies to casted spells? im just asked cuz it happens in other dnd versions, it was changed in dnd5?
if arcane trickster cant apply sneak attacks to spells, like other rogue subclasses do with theyr attacks - what is main feature of arcane trickster then, since they cant even cast lvl3 spells?

Complete waste of spell slots when you can use them all for shield / mirror image / blur instead. None of the offensive spell options from level 1 & 2 will be a better choice than dual hand crossbows.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 18/08/23 08:59 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
If ya tell me to use bow and crossbow instead offensive spells and cantrips, what is 'magical ambush' purpose then? and why its on lvl 9? so you need invest at least 9 levels into arcane trickster and gets totally nothing? and why everybody told about very versatily gameplay, when in real its just rogue with some selfbuffs, but without other rogue features, and you dont even need high INT for utility spells. Do you wanna say it is arcane trickster gameplay style and suppose to be like this?
also you can just go assassin/wizard or thief/cleric in different proportions with all rogue benefits and spells above 3lvl and finish game much more better than trickster itself!
ima still dont understand what is trickster main feature for now...

Last edited by Kaitena; 19/08/23 07:58 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Kaitena
If ya tell me to use bow and crossbow instead offensive spells and cantrips, what is 'magical ambush' purpose then? and why its on lvl 9? so you need invest at least 9 levels into arcane trickster and gets totally nothing? and why everybody told about very versatily gameplay, when in real its just rogue with some selfbuffs, but without other rogue features, and you dont even need high INT for utility spells. Do you wanna say it is arcane trickster gameplay style and suppose to be like this?
also you can just go assassin/wizard or thief/cleric in different proportions with all rogue benefits and spells above 3lvl and finish game much more better than trickster itself!
ima still dont understand what is trickster main feature for now...

Because Larian overnerfed everthing that isn't fireball / other aoe damage spells.

For an AT / EK, none of the level 1 / 2 damage spells are ever worth casting over a weapon attack. The point of the feature is the buff spells.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 19/08/23 09:44 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard