Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
I'm not that far into the game - just did the Githyanki patrol - , but so far I really like Karlach. And still Sahdowheart, which was my favourite from EA.

And do we get to meet Gales tressym? Or do you have to romance him for that?

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
I'm not that far into the game - just did the Githyanki patrol - , but so far I really like Karlach. And still Sahdowheart, which was my favourite from EA.

I met her, it wasn't anything special, just a side quest. I'm not sure if there is more content though, with how borked the romance flags for Gale are, who knows.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Minthara then La'zael, then Karlach then, surprising as I didn't like him in previous games, Minsc.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
As of Early Act 2:

Favourite Personality: Karlach. Excellent idle animations, dialogue for dismissing and adding to party (many different lines), and is just a fun presence in the game. That’s it. She’s just so fun. Her quests are not though.

Favourite Character Arcs and storylines to follow: Laezel, Gale, and Shart. Loved the Red Wizard interaction.

Astarion and Wyll can be fun, but the former is such a little shit and the latter can be hit or miss.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Originally Posted by fylimar

I met her, it wasn't anything special, just a side quest. I'm not sure if there is more content though, with how borked the romance flags for Gale are, who knows.

Yeah, looking forward to meeting her. I wish we could have her in the party.

Doctor Who
N
apprentice
apprentice
N
My opinion:
Shadowheart >
Lae'zel (very close between the top two) >
Gale = Jaheira >
Minsc >
Karlach = Wyll >
Astarion

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vitani
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Originally Posted by SerraShaar
Originally Posted by Icelyn
No one could guess my favorite companion! hahaha
3 guesses!

1- a squirrel

2- Scratch

3- that Avatar? Hot! laugh
Gale’s cat!
Oh no, don't call her a cat! galeworried
hahaha

stranger
stranger
I really apreciate Karlach because she remembered me to Amiri (from Pathfinder: Kingmaker), I really liked her.
Shadowheart is my dearest companion
and trying to get into her panties...
Lae'zel is my best faithful companion in spite many times we're not in acordance, I really apreciate her loyalty
and sex with her... smile
Gale is fine, funny and getting upper in my list.
I really don't like Astarion but I'm intrigued by his story.
About Will, really feel sorry for him and will kill his master...
Minhara... well I killed her before known she could be a companion... (now I have her sleep outfit in my rogue wink )
Rasca is the faithful pet and owlbear cub the cutest pet.

V
stranger
stranger
V
In EA I didn't liket any companion at all, I was waiting for Halsin, but in release i grow up on Gale, and almost all time Halsin is in camp waiting.

veteran
veteran
Right now the only answer I can give is Shadowheart...but Minthara seems to be missing dialogue and the second half of her romance in act 3 seems to be missing but Larian has said they will be fixed so I am really hoping that once Minthara has all of her content implemented she can be as glorious throughout the entire game as she is in Act 1...if that happens then Minthara will easily be the best.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Minthara, voice acting and dialogue out of the park
then Laz, her story arc is brilliant and well handled

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
stranger
stranger
Shadowheart by far. But all of them are likeable in their own way.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Gale and Wyll seem the least over the top, and Shadowheart becomes much more normie once you snap her out of her Shar phase. Halsin is fine when he's not on his refugee or poly soapbox. Lazael and Karlach are too exaggerated, and Astarion is a selfish, sociopathic ass who just rationalizes his treatment of others with "but what about me and muh trauma".

old hand
old hand
I'm just now reaching beginning of act 2 so I haven't really had time to interact with the new companions and some how messed up on Halsin being a companion. He straight up disappeared after the party and swapping over to act 2.

Anyway, I still think Lae'zel is the best so far, Gale is still annoying as ever, Wyll is the same but with additional flavor, and Astarion is just alright (i did like his line at the party though, funny). Karlach and Shadowheart, its pretty hard not to like them, so I would say they would be the runners up.

J
J
Shadowheart, game feels like she should be the protagonist and I really enjoy her story arc and character development

Scratch, he is just a good boy

Withers, old dusty bones is useful, doesn't complain all day and doesn't want to dick me all the time, the rest of the crew could learn a lot from him

Karlach, I like her attitude, she is fun to have around, can deal some damage and tank

Wyll, cool dude, probably the only genuinely good person in camp, but too naive and horny all the time

Jaheira, I like her "I'm too old for this shit but let's kick some butt anyway" attitude, as druid and harper she can be useful from time to time

Gale, only wizard and sometimes I need a nuker, I don't like his story at all, or personality, or him constantly trying to hit on me

Lae'zel, if a fighter wouldn't be incredibly useful, I would kill her on sight, evil space na... with a superiority complex beyond belief, obnoxious and no real character development, stays as dumb as she is

Astarion, if I wouldn't kill a bigger part of the story with him, he wouldn't survive our first meeting, plain evil, always complains

Halsin, why is he even in the game? For the better part of the game he is useless because he doesn't join me, when he joins I have a better druid option, and we better not start on his thoughts about a good date

My favorite companion in EA was Lae'zel.
My favorite companion in the finished game is still Lae'zel because she has always be awesome >:D

Big disappointment for me was Gale. I was lukewarm towards him at the beginning of EA but after some time he had grown on me quite a bit only to have his backstory changed and now he's really one note and his story is soooo deus-ex-machina-y. What a downgrade.

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
veteran
veteran
After playing for a while ( act 3 now) Lae'zel did grow on me. And I love Jaheira, they captured her character so well.
I even warmed up to Astarion, I like that you can have a discussion with him, how you two didn't like each other in the beginning.

The only characters , I have zero connection to is Halsin and Minthara. Halsin is just boring and should have stayed an NPC, he has nothing to do in act 3 and Minthara, I don't use, since I don't kill the tieflings. I like her armor though, looks good on me .

Doctor Who
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
I think most companions are great.

I like Astarion. In the beginning his straight forward evilness is an issue, as all he eve approves are the evil acts, bu as his story developes so does his attitude if you play your cards right. To the point where Astarion starts to approve you feeding orphans and some other outrageously good choices. He is an abuse victim who became an abuser himself, but you can either make him realise this or let him become as evil as they go. The guy has some hidden depths and really funny one liners and some shockingly sweet romance scenes if you are willing to get through his hard shell.

I really liked Gale, oth as a decent guy and as an overly ambitious wizard.

I quite like Shadowheart, she was complex, and I liked that even when she was at her worst Shaar fanatic stage she was basically a decent person with a good heart. Her story worked and so did her character.

Karlach is fun. She is a nice and believable person. She is passionate and friendly, someone who cares for her companions and friends. She is a person I would love to meet and know.

Jaheira surprisingly grew on me. I didn’t like her in Last Light, after she made some really dumb comments such as “Oh, now we know that the enemy wants to attack us” or something along the line right after the enemy did attack us. Like, no kidding captain obvious! But later in the game I found that she was quite a funny companion and she did remind me of the original Jaheira.

I didn’t dislike Wyll, I think his rewrite did a world of good to him and I prefer his story over his EA one. That being said he is still just a bit too heroic for me.

The only character I really do dislike is Lae’zel. My issue is not even simply with her personality, because I actually like that and it is in line with what she is. My issue is with her plot and how
everyone from Vlaakith (near omnipotetnt ancient lich queen, to Orpheus, ancient war hero and Giths heir, and Voss) are constantly kissing up to her despite she being on paper an absolutely average githyanki. Then in the end she also proves what a hypocrite she really is and simply lets either Tav, Karlach or even Orpheus to turn into an illithid to save the world, despite all her ranting about saving Orpheus and the githyanki from Vlaakith? She doesn’t even offer to save Orpheus from a fate most githyanki considers worse than death? And Orpheus gives her his blessing? Really?
The only reasonshe is in my team is because I need a tank, ut from now on if I ever play a tank-dps character, she is gointo stay in her cage. Or die a horrble death at the creche. Or by Shadowhart’s hands. I am not picky.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 02/09/23 09:50 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
First, the obligatory warning to remember your spoiler tags when mentioning specific plot points, folks.

Second, still too early to tell who my favourite companion is. My three faves in EA were Gale, Astarion and Shadowheart, but of these I've only had Shadowheart in my party regularly in my playthrough. Even mainly staying at camp when I'm not progressing their own quests, Gale and especially Astarion have impressed me and I'm looking forward to actually having them in my inner circle. It might just have been the choices I made, Shadowheart wasn't quite as spiky and slyly funny as I'd expected from EA so is probably going to slip down the ranks.

Wyll was my least favourite in EA, mainly because of what I saw as his really unfocussed background, overcomplicated characterisation and janky animations. Certainly these have been sorted out, but now I just think he's kinda humourless and and a bit boringly heroic. Not sure if this was partly due to Larian trying to have more straightforwardly good characters in response to player feedback, but I could have done with a bit more grey and some more funny lines. I've had him in my party for the full game and my character is romancing him, so I feel like I've given him a fair chance, and he's definitely out of the running for my favourite.

Karlach is fab, and i've enjoyed having her in my gang for most of the game.

I've not had Jaheira, Minsc, Halsin or Lae'zel in my party much either, and though they've been in camp neither Lae'zel nor Halsin have made a big impression. That'll need to wait until I have them in my party more in a future run. But even though I only really brought her along for the hunt for Minsc, It's pretty clear Jaheira has been done justice by Larian and I think she's great. And I've enjoyed getting Minsc's impressions on our party and perspective back at camp, so looking positive there too.

Minthara I have no idea about. I only went along with her once in EA so don't really feel like I know her - or particularly want to - but I'll see what I think on a future playthrough once I've actually recruited her.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
stranger
stranger
This is a very hard question for me to answer! I truly like all of them for different things. I suppose it would be easier to name my least favorite companion, which would be Gale, but even he has his moments and I'm even starting another playthrough to romance him and see if I can connect more with him.

I guess a companion that I wish I liked more than I do is Wyll. I do like him, and he was my first pick for a romance, but he can be very hit or miss.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard