Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by AlexandraMurMur
In a word - sadness. At least DOS2 had an ending. And no, there is no bug with Gale, I checked 20 times (I didn't believe SO much that everything could end SO BADLY), as well as with another romantic interest, NONE OF WHICH HAS AN ENDING! And it's NOT A JOKE (*crying and laughing* This is not a joke!)
I am pretty sure I did get a "good" ending while romancing Gale.

After the ending on the pier of Baldur's Gate the scene changed to his tower in Waterdeep where he gave a speech about how we changed him for the better and asked if we want to marry him

But that was kind of it, roll credits, the end.

I was expecting at least a slideshow telling us about how our adventures reflected on the city at least... but no, that was it. Bummer frown

Last edited by Vitani; 10/08/23 11:19 AM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Vitani
Originally Posted by AlexandraMurMur
In a word - sadness. At least DOS2 had an ending. And no, there is no bug with Gale, I checked 20 times (I didn't believe SO much that everything could end SO BADLY), as well as with another romantic interest, NONE OF WHICH HAS AN ENDING! And it's NOT A JOKE (*crying and laughing* This is not a joke!)
I am pretty sure I did get a "good" ending while romancing Gale.

After the ending on the pier of Baldur's Gate the scene changed to his tower in Waterdeep where he gave a speech about how we changed him for the better and asked if we want to marry him

But that was kind of it, roll credits, the end.

I was expecting at least a slideshow telling us about how our adventures reflected on the city at least... but no, that was it. Bummer frown
So that is his good ending. I wonder if anyone's done a compilation of them yet?

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
The vague and incomplete endings provide opportunities for expansion?

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by UserD114

1. We wouldn't know what happen about DRUID GROVE after ending?
2. We dont know what happen after we remove the curse?
3. And you mentioned that no romance after story. So i dont know what happen to Laezel and Tav after ending?

Halsin does give you some information on the first two things (and you get a little more information on #2 if you romance him). That's during the game, though, not after the end fight.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
The vague and incomplete endings provide opportunities for expansion?
Doubtful, but who knows? I think I saw people throw around an interview (which I did not read, so take it as...gossip at best) where Larian says it would be too complicated to make a DLC. I also don't think it is something they done in the past, maybe if WotC press hard enough? No clue.

All I know the game ending is good per se (the one I got at least), but lacks... closure for everyone. We see everyone change along the way and don't get to know how it turns out for them apart from the immediate things. That just can't fly in a game like this wyllcry

Some of the companion endings I got under the spoiler tag.

Lae'zel just left because she no longer had a place among her people. I want to know if she found a purpose on the material plane?
Astarion started to burn up in the sun and made a run for it. No idea what happens to him? Kind of...weird.
Wyll lost his powers, but decided to continue being the Blade of Frontiers. Absolutely no idea how people will react to him now that he's physically changed?
Karlach straight up died on that pier, making me cry in the process but at least that was closure...I guess? crazy
Shadowheart didn't make it this far, killed her when freeing Nightsong, the game must have glitched out as everyone assumed I turnd her over to the Sharrans in Baldur's Gate... so that was that.
Didn't manage to cure the Shdowlands so Halsin kind of...disappeared? To be honest I kind of forgot about him, he had absolutely nothing to say the whole time he was at camp.
And Gale collected the crown and the netherstones, gave them back to Mystra and I got that super short scene I mentioned earlier, as a bonus for romancing him I guess.

U
stranger
stranger
U
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Wait so what are the 17,000 variations if none of our decisions are covered?
Ya, if i remember correctly. Fextralife mentioned that Crystal, the lead writer, told him there is 17000 variations.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Nope. NONE of that.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vitani
All I know the game ending is good per se (the one I got at least), but lacks... closure for everyone. We see everyone change along the way and don't get to know how it turns out for them apart from the immediate things. That just can't fly in a game like this wyllcry

Some of the companion endings I got under the spoiler tag.

Lae'zel just left because she no longer had a place among her people. I want to know if she found a purpose on the material plane?
Astarion started to burn up in the sun and made a run for it. No idea what happens to him? Kind of...weird.
Wyll lost his powers, but decided to continue being the Blade of Frontiers. Absolutely no idea how people will react to him now that he's physically changed?
Karlach straight up died on that pier, making me cry in the process but at least that was closure...I guess? crazy
Shadowheart didn't make it this far, killed her when freeing Nightsong, the game must have glitched out as everyone assumed I turnd her over to the Sharrans in Baldur's Gate... so that was that.
Didn't manage to cure the Shdowlands so Halsin kind of...disappeared? To be honest I kind of forgot about him, he had absolutely nothing to say the whole time he was at camp.
And Gale collected the crown and the netherstones, gave them back to Mystra and I got that super short scene I mentioned earlier, as a bonus for romancing him I guess.
This is a good ending for you? All of this would so not qualify as a good ending for me.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Thats not really a good ending for most of the characters he mentioned.

Wall of Text spoilers below from my testing:

Laezel can stay with you (either as friend or lover), its implied your gonna continue adventuring together and shes gonna making sure there's not a dull moment in your company.

Astarion burning and just running away is the "best" we get for him, just one comic relief moment and a big "screw you" to all the people that wanted some closure with him, he's the character i hated the most, so i kinda got a chuckle out of that ending, but i understand the disappointment from his fans.

Wyll can either be the Duke or continue as Blade, if hes Blade and you finish his quests, he ends up saving Karlach by going with her to Avernus, otherwise he's just "there" and will continue to be a good guy in the sword coast.

Karlach's good ending is either being saved by Wyll or by Tav himself, altho that means Tav nopes the crap out of the ending sequence and you don't get the other scenes (gotta rescue the waifu!). It also lacks closure and its the reason a lot of people are pissed at this ending.

Shadowheart gets the closest to a good (happy ever after) ending in this game, she is ready to settle down if she solved her issues with Shar and her family. If Tav romanced her, you can choose between a life of adventure or settle down with her (she does seem to really push for a less dangerous lifestyle tho).

Halsin got the ending i expected of him, he's gonna continue his druid-ing and that's pretty much it.

Gale was already mentioned by the original post.

Jaheira and Minsc get the ending you expected, a non-commitment to anything so that they can be re-used as characters in other D&D media :P

If you think i forgot Minthara, you are correct... the problem is that the game also forgot about her existing by the end of Act 3 as well.

Keep in mind that my description of all these endings are about as much as you get in-game. All of them are super short and only a couple phrases long.

Last edited by GenPlastro; 11/08/23 04:31 PM.
veteran
veteran
In P:WotR there are extensive ending slides, not only many of them but also where each one has quite a bit of exposition on how things ended up. And not only for each and every companion, and also your custom PC, but even for numerous NPCs including some NPCs I had even forgotten about by the end of the game. There is also an ending slide for the world. All in all it felt so very satisfying to read through those endings that made me feel like the time I'd spent playing the game (which was immense) was time well spent. This is what I would expect from BG3. But is it what I will get?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't think I got any endings?

Talk at the pier, Laz' rode off on her dragon to go fight with the prince, Minthara asked where'll I go afterwards, I said the underdark she said I can't go back there, Jahiera and Minsc had a little discussion, nothing from Asta, no slides or cutscenes, I decided not to kill myself, credits and Jergal insulting a painting?
There werent any endings? is this what people are upset about or was there something offensive that my game bugged and didn't show.

I went evil path to recruit Minthara so Wyll and Karlach left me act 1, and I gave SH to the Sharrans, no endings for characters not in your squad or people you help along the way ala Arcanum/etc style slide show?

Last edited by Starshine; 12/08/23 02:02 PM.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
O
stranger
stranger
O
Ending looks like super unfinished, especially after you realize it's the 30 years old series end lol
Honestly problem is not just is no ending, it's a lot after act 2, newspaper no reaction on player, no armor for Sylune Shadowheart choice, she swap hairs color but still have Shar accessory, and etc. I truly support your game and buys 10x copies, I playing solo runs on early access, but it's really looks unfinished, that's not what 30 years old series ends looks like

enthusiast
enthusiast
To me, there will be a BG4, it's not the series ending it's the ending of this game.

I would have loved an arcanum/fallout style slide show ending with a page for each character, act and important decision though

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yo, I just reloaded the save right at the end after the fight, to see a different dialogue choice, and I'm getting completely different content BEFORE I make any decisions, the companions who talk before me, last time it was all M&J, this time it was L&Minthara
It's worth reloading and there probably is plenty different content that is completely randomised what you get?

Originally Posted by Ozzy750
Ending looks like super unfinished, especially after you realize it's the 30 years old series end lol
Honestly problem is not just is no ending, it's a lot after act 2, newspaper no reaction on player, no armor for Sylune Shadowheart choice, she swap hairs color but still have Shar accessory, and etc. I truly support your game and buys 10x copies, I playing solo runs on early access, but it's really looks unfinished, that's not what 30 years old series ends looks like
Considering how they treat Sarevok and Viconia in this let's say this is a fanfic of the original trilogy and not actual continuation.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SoulfulAzrael
Considering how they treat Sarevok and Viconia in this let's say this is a fanfic of the original trilogy and not actual continuation.

Neither of those things are up to Larian. 5e lore says these outcomes better, larian actually fixed them. They are both in amazingly better condition than the 5e cannon says they should be.

from reddit: (apologies for tone and wording but while the bias is reddits this is accurate to the book and its the clearest summary I know of online.)
Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villany

Wizards of the Coast just released a 5e supplement written by James Ohlen called Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy. Alongside being a fantastic 5e source it updates a lot of classic Baldur's Gate characters to the fifth edition. Here's some of the things we learn about what our old friends have been up to:

Valygar and Xan both work for Candlekeep. Valygar has taken potions of longevity to continue his hunt for evil wizards. Xan, who is a "Blessed of Corellon," meaning his gender changes sometimes throughout his life, hopes to find a worthy heir for his moonblade before journeying to Evermeet.

Kivan and Faldorn are both members of the Emerald Enclave. Kivan is now married to Cernd and is attempting to expose Faldorn as an evil Shadow Druid.

Jaheira continues to serve the Harpers.

Minsc and Boo were petrified and spent nearly a century as a statue in Waterdeep before being freed. They are now members of an order known as the Knights of Bahamut.

Irenicus and Bodhi were placed in the Domains of Dread by the Dark Powers of Ravenloft. They now exist in a dark mirror of Suldanessellar. Irenicus is now a lich.

Montaran and Xzar have also returned from death and are members of the Shadow Thieves. Xzar has become a demilich which Montaran keeps in a bag of holding. There's also an insane simulacrum of Xzar running around.

Imoen also is a member of the Shadow Thieves. She was transformed into a vampire by Bodhi but has retained her good alignment.

Edwin now has the longevity of an elf, thanks to the Nether Scrolls. He is once more in good relationship with Thay and has taken over Razamith's Tower in Baldur's Gate.

Kagain is now a worshiper of Bhaal and leads an unscrupulous band of mercenaries in Baldur's Gate.

Saemon Havarion sold his soul to Baalzebul in exchange for long-life and fortune and is now desperately looking for a way out of the deal.

Sarevok became a homeless drug addict in Baldur's Gate until Bhaal, reborn, found him and made him a high priest of his clergy.

Viconia has started working with the cults of Elemental Evil to further the will of Shar.

EDIT: For those of you who are Neverwinter Nights fans, it also includes Aribeth de Tylmarande who is now a herald of Mephistopheles.

Given this is the CANON, that they made Viconia, the leader of Shar's temple and have a very strong, established and successful powerbase, is an incredible improvement on, she's still a low level cleric of Shar sent on adventuring missions. (I'm actually 100% happy with Viconia in BG3, she's exactly where I'd hope she'd be. Powerful, safe, no longer hunted and leading an established, reputable temple of her Goddess.)

Sarevok being the leader of a cult, secretly running aspects of the city and having a family, while still a betrayal of his redemption in ToB it's 100x better than 5e canon that he's a homeless bhaal cultist high on drugs

Given what Larian had to work with, they polished it into gold. The only question is why didn't we have to fight off Kagain in the undercity? and why wasn't Edwin in the game as from canon he's immortal and in BG city.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by SoulfulAzrael
Yes, starting PWotR, I need therapy after these endings lol

enthusiast
enthusiast
OK after a few rerolls of the ending. it is completely arbitrary what ending scenes you get, it's just random.
Not only are the scenes tiny and meaningless but it's random what scenes you even get.

If they were going to have the only resolution be one or two line super short dialogues, they should atleast have made it like DA:O where you can walk around and talk to all your companions/allies and hear ALL the lines, not just the randomised 2 you are lucky enough to roll, badluck for you if you didn't quicksave during the braincrash cinematic and have to go through the whole fight again

Also, ZERO ending if you dominate the brain, nothing. No bad guy epilogue, just you evil win, no companions have lines for it even the ones who beg you to do it

I believe there are 17000 endings, probably that many one line reponses that even people who play the game 50,000 times will never see even half of

Last edited by Starshine; 13/08/23 03:36 AM.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by Starshine
OK after a few rerolls of the ending. it is completely arbitrary what ending scenes you get, it's just random.
Not only are the scenes tiny and meaningless but it's random what scenes you even get.

If they were going to have the only resolution be one or two line super short dialogues, they should atleast have made it like DA:O where you can walk around and talk to all your companions/allies and hear ALL the lines, not just the randomised 2 you are lucky enough to roll, badluck for you if you didn't quicksave during the braincrash cinematic and have to go through the whole fight again

Also, ZERO ending if you dominate the brain, nothing. No bad guy epilogue, just you evil win, no companions have lines for it even the ones who beg you to do it

I believe there are 17000 endings, probably that many one line reponses that even people who play the game 50,000 times will never see even half of
There a lot problems with good one also, where is HOPE ? Where is Sylune daughter we save in Shar temple with her Torm daughter(im sorry im forget names) where is Vlakit, and infinite etc, ending is more questions with no answers, i hope Larian do something with this

L
addict
addict
L
Sarevok is basically reduced to a speedbump for the real boss
(Orin) Hell, setting aside that Larian wrote him as a zealot, they did the same with Amelyssan cameo as well, when she was trying to *usurp* Bhaal. That was part of the big twist of Throne of Bhaal, after all. Does it strike anyone else as a bit offputting that two of the three endgame bosses are effectively henchmen in BG III? Sarevok even gets called a cast off failure or equivalent multiple times. For a game whoose foundation is firmly planted in nostalgia to the older games, it feels very superficial at times, and almost insecure how it has to cast it's forebearers into its shadows to 'prove' itself (narratively and otherwise). What's wrong with the events of BG I+II being an epic, adventure, why does BG III need to one-up them? It shouldn't be a competition.

Viconia really takes the cake though.
Larian really punched down against her the way they wrote her. Rewrote her to be far more evil (and not in a fun, campy way, or a nuanced way) She's a one-dimensionall zealot like Sarevok, a megalomaniacal fanatic compared to her more personal faith of the original games. They took her worst ending then twisted it to remove the personal tragedy aspect (getting turned on by those she trusted once more), losing Shar's favor, and going on to perform heroic deeds (working with Drizzt, defending Calmiport, being accepted by the surface elves and honored by the queen of Suldanessalar) Instead she murdered all of her followers out of devotion to Shar (whom, she emphasizes, were loyal and trusted her) So she could devote her life to abducting and torturing a young girl and her parents for several decades. What. The. Hell. Larian.

And to top it off, Shadowheart's quest puts her on a collision course with Viconia no matter what. The two big outcomes being either Shadowheart usurps the weak, pathetic Viconia who has lost Shar's favor, so Shar's *real* champion can rise (Shadowheart) or Shadowheart strikes back against her tormentor in a triumph of self-liberation, Viconia once again is revealed to be weak and pathetic (there's even a variation of the 'you have no power over me' thing where Shadowheart turns from her after besting her, leaving you to choose to let her scurry away or take your cathartic vengeance against her one final step further.

Like, Viconia in BG III is just written as this giant PoS you aren't even remotely supposed to sympathize with or respect. Like seriously, even Kahga had more humanizing moments. Her character in BG III reads like a hate fic. Seriously I'd compare it to Khalid's treatment in the infamous novelizations.

The treatment of Sarevok and Vic in this game is awful. Compare to the pure fanservice that is Jaheria and especially Minsc.

Last edited by Leucrotta; 13/08/23 04:18 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard