Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
apprentice
apprentice
I was wondering if I will meet her again in the game, I defeated her in the goblin camp, but didn’t kill her, I heard she can be found in Act 2, but was wondering if that happens too when she has been defeated in battle, since I didn’t kill her.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 12/08/23 02:28 PM. Reason: Renamed thread after merging four related ones
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Kallark
I was wondering if I will meet her again in the game, I defeated her in the goblin camp, but didn’t kill her, I heard she can be found in Act 2, but was wondering if that happens too when she has been defeated in battle, since I didn’t kill her.

If you're supporting the goblins in Act 1, she can be found in the Moonrise Tower. Ketherik Torm throws her into a dungeon, from where she can be rescued and added to the party.

If you support tieflings - probably in the same place? And the twist is the same, just with slightly changed dialogues, it would be logical.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
You can defeat Minthara without killing her? How does that work? In my games she's always fought to the death.

Last edited by Ieldra2; 07/08/23 08:56 AM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Toggle Non-Lethal Attacks option on. (from character spellbook under Common)

The issue with non-lethal attacks in EA was that it had no story implications, the NPC would eventually disappear from the game same as if they were killed.
The only benefit was for RP purposes and to avoid breaking your Oath as a Paladin.

Things might have changed since then. I am curious to see if Minthara resurfaces as well, might prompt me to restart my playthrough.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Aeliasson
Things might have changed since then. I am curious to see if Minthara resurfaces as well, might prompt me to restart my playthrough.

I'm curious about this as well.

I've said from the start that I felt the whole Druid vs. Goblin story arc was terribly designed and Minthara's inclusion as a companion feels very much like an afterthought (meaning I feel she was never intended to be, but somewhere during EA they changed that, but never actually went back and fixed her recruitment). She's the most easily missed companion (so far) and getting her requires basically losing half of your other characters and severely tanking your approval rating with those that remain.

And honestly, I'm not entirely sold on the non-origin companions being worth it. I've been unimpressed with Halsin and Jaheria so far (mostly Jaheria feeling like fan service more than anything else):
Really, Jaheria? You have nothing to say when a servant of Bhaal shows up? REALLY!? NOTHING AT ALL!? IT ISN'T LIKE YOU SPENT A CHUNK OF YOUR LIFE TRAVELING WITH A COUPLE OF CHILDREN OF BHAAL OR ANYTHING, RIGHT? Granted this is only by the end of Act 1 and she may bring it up later, but come on. Even a "Ah, shit, here we go again" would have been nice.

What they really should have done is, when you reduce her health to zero, a cut scene plays where she has been weakened enough that the Guardian is able to reach out and break the Absolute's hold on her. She realizes what's been happening, swears vengeance against it and everyone that is responsible for it, then asks to let her join you in pursuit of that. At THAT point you should be given the option of "no, please die" or "yes, come along"

Her insight and opinions would have been great for a whole number of events throughout the Act. Honestly, I really feel they did not try very hard with her.

Last edited by Nightshade3226; 07/08/23 11:52 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
I supported the tieflings yeah, so nobody know if I will find her in act 2 after defeating her? I’m still in act 1

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Dude hurry up and progress and let us know! We are all wanting to know this as we all killed her. If we can side with tieflings, make her unconscious and pick her up later that would be amazing.

L
addict
addict
L
From what I'm hearing on reddit, it sounds like her romance might have been cut or at least scaled back to basically nothing in terms of content after you recruit her? I'm rather curious, because if that's the case I'm going to have to seriously rethink playing an evil run, and whether recruiting her is even worth the bother as a an evil character. Anyone further into the game have any confirmation one way or another?

W
stranger
stranger
W
Why does it feel like Larian is railroading players into being good by not letting us enjoy playing evil? Are there even any multiple endings for The Dark Urge? Things are sounding really shallow and binary even when D&D actually has 9 alignments.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
From what I'm hearing on reddit, it sounds like her romance might have been cut or at least scaled back to basically nothing in terms of content after you recruit her? I'm rather curious, because if that's the case I'm going to have to seriously rethink playing an evil run, and whether recruiting her is even worth the bother as a an evil character. Anyone further into the game have any confirmation one way or another?

This is true, but this is a game bug, it is obvious that such content exists. In the circus, there is an opportunity to tell a certain NPC that Minthara is our love, and get a romantic scene, but at the same time I have not seen any romance and sex, except for the first act.

I think there is a problem with Minthara not having enough approval points to start romance even at lvl 10-12 because she joins the party too late

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
L
addict
addict
L
I'd like to think so, but I have read about people getting her approval up to max without anything to show for it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
I'd like to think so, but I have read about people getting her approval up to max without anything to show for it.
It was a very strange decision if she was made a companion, but they did not make a romance because of which everyone wanted to see her as a companion.

I have a mixed feeling, on the one hand thanks to Larian for adding her as a companion, on the other hand she is bugged, and this game lacks romance and sex with drow

G
stranger
stranger
G
I've the same problem, except the dryad at the circus, i've nothing which can imply im in romance with her.
It's a big disapointment After the EA.
And if i got nothing about her at the end, that will make my run unsatisfaying.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
OK, I went evil route this time and I love Minthara, she is a fantastically written, voiced and realised companion, so first off thank you for that great character who is a delight.
However I have been thinking, she would be fantastic in a party that hadn't sided with her,
Spoilery section ahead

Currently, as someone who sided with her in Act 1, you recruit her after she is berated for having failed and can save her, she already sort of trusts you but still needs to be brought the rest of the way.

How much more fun, and impactful a story beat would be if you could, come across her in the same condition, imprisoned for having failed and being tortured, and save her while being the VERY person who defeated her, who caused her to face this fate and then recruit her without that trust, just a shared enemy and then slowly develop that trust and partnership throughout traveling together as she *needs* to stay near you to be free of the absolute, and she'd still have that vengeance against the absolute and Orin.

It'd just need to be on a condition of capturing her/knocking her out/etc and her escaping then or later, instead of her dying in act 1 if you side with the Grove, then having her be in the prison when you arrive at Moonrise?

I really believe it would both work in the story, and improve the game (and provide opportunities for interaction between Minthara and characters who leave the party if you side with the cult in act 1 so more texture and banter to the game) if Minthara was recruitable in both outcomes of Act 1.

Thank you.

Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
veteran
veteran
Sounds great. Would make her a lot more interesting as a character.

Especially when siding with goblins to kill druids doesn't really make any sense even for evil characters. I probably would never be able to recuit her without her turning on the Absolute.

And here's a thing I think Larian never understood: Being evil does not mean siding with the Absolute or shoving brain worms in your head for more power. Evil means doing evil selfish things to get rid of the Illithid parasite in your brain meant to control or kill you. She could also remain an evil vengeance Paladin against the Absolute for a neutral party.

And the game needs an incentive for an evil Tav where killing all the Druids could get you a cure - and you could use Minthara and the goblins to get it. That would be a far better evil route but I guess it's too late now.

Last edited by 1varangian; 09/08/23 11:58 AM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Someone recruited both Minthara and Halsin on Reddit and provided step-by-step approach. Minthara seems to have less content than every other companion though.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Someone recruited both Minthara and Halsin on Reddit and provided step-by-step approach. Minthara seems to have less content than every other companion though.

I thought, that would not be possible. I imagined, that Halsin would kill her on sight.
I guess, you have to just beat her unconscious for that?

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by fylimar

I thought, that would not be possible. I imagined, that Halsin would kill her on sight.
I guess, you have to just beat her unconscious for that?
No…
You need to save grove by finishing the shadow druid questline which will unveil Kharga. Then, I managed to convice Kharga she is wrong and after finishing the quest she will allow tieflings to stay in the grove.
You go to goblin camp and free Halsin and then tell him to stay there in jail and wait for you.
Dont interact with Minthara in any way, just ignore her. You kill other 2 leaders in goblin camp (not sure if necessary).
Go to Underdark and straight to Act 2. Get to Inn with harpers and interact with sleeping guy to get the quest started.Then to tower where Minthara will be judged and sent to prison.
You save Minthara and she joins your party. Then you return for Halsin and tell him about the sleeping guy. He will travel to the inn.
You progress the quest from Halsin until he offers to become permanent companion.
done grin
Courtesy of Hawkectid on Reddit. Apparently Halsin and Minthara don’t have any interactions yet, so this is probably a glitch or exploit rather than intentional.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've found that she has quite a bit of content, no quests or even an entry in the companions section of the journal, but she seems to have as much if not more dialogue interjections and camp discussions, Her dialogue and VA is all exceptional which is largely why I would like to see her expanded, put in conflict/contact with more companion and made part of more varieties of playthrough.

Especially as after you get her, you can good or evil ending of every act after then regardless of what you did in act 1 so she already has responding to 'good guy' content.
Having her have to deal with working with Halsin, Karlach and Wyll would expand their characters as well as hers so it's win all round. Good characters would understand she did the act 1 things under mind control, but also see that she's only 'on your side' to protect herself from said mind control returning so there'd be drama and tense co-operation that'd make for great banter!

And @1varangian her perspective is a good take on evil, she's not serving the cult, she's after power and vengeance on the cult, and willing to do anything to achieve those ends, from putting slugs in your head to killing all the slugs. After 'good' actions she will question your motives and if you explain you did it for selfish reasons or to advance quest she is happy, often you don't have to she's just happy with things many games would say evil characters dislike because she is pragmaetic enough for that. I am happy with the approach the writers have taken in her interjections and approval effects in representing a pragmatically power hungry a neutral evil character.

Also this thread got moved from suggestions to Story & Characters
Which I guess checks out, but it was intended as a suggestion for an improvement/change in the game, not a discussion on the character. I don't know whether that should be taken as sign policy says no suggestions on story/character changes only mechanics will be changed based on feedback?

Last edited by Starshine; 09/08/23 01:36 PM.

Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
She has a line after you recruit her that because of the mind control and powerlessness she isn't in a place to resume the romance, she mentions a maybe later to give you hope, but I mostly read that as a "we can be friends but I've got stuff going on" which as you get more of her backstory in dialogue, especially once arriving at the city and fighting her ex-, yeah she''s going through some stuff that'd make her not want to be romantic?
I massively support giving her more content, but I'm not sure lack of sex=lack of content. She's one of the most interesting companions in the game through her interjections and dialogue, what she lacks in companion quests and goals more than anything else.
Having her recruit-able in both resolutions of Act 1 would incentive giving her more content, quests and dialogue, and even romance stuff

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard