Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
I handed SH to V, and you get zero resolution, when you meet V later in the game she never even mentions what happens to SH.
A slideshow with giving endings to your companions,V/Grove/Moonrise/hope/etc etc etc is really needed.
for both dominaion and destruction endings too

and again, half of what people are complaining about is 5e lore from M&B journal of villany, not larian decisions but lore forced on them by the settings that what deviation they have done has fixed and made it less mean spirited 'hate fic' not more. BG3 manages to honour BG1-2 characters wihin the restrictions of 5e designed to trash them

Last edited by Starshine; 13/08/23 04:37 AM.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
L
addict
addict
L
Eh, I don't know about that. BG 3 is fairly dissimilar to M&BJoV. Aside from Sarevok, what exactly has held true between the two products? It might be that the author of the latter had an ear t what was going on and based his book off of that, but it doesn't mean that His book constrained Larian in any way, and in fact IIRC WoTC has said that the side products (games, novels etc) get much freer leeway with canon under their new policy.

I'm sure they handed down some dictates, vague and otherwise, but there seems to be leeway for interpretation on some things (see the Dark Alliance reboot with the 'Lolthsworn get magic tattoos' thing vs Larian's 'Lolthsworn get red eyes' thing. And I don't think there's any indication Larian was ever handed a sheet of paper things they had to include in BGIII that included 'rewrite fan-favorite returning character into a loathsome PoS that players will want to kill, and then make Shadowheart's good endings hinge on removing said PoS.'

apprentice
apprentice
You know what's worse than a bad game ? A incredible game with a so bad end.

You enjoy almost 100h of gameplay, to just end going back almost the same point you start, like killing gods, battling gods and devils, saving millions of people was like buying some milk at the supermarket.

That kind of game have to be epic the more you progress, and the end should be the climax, the thing you play 100h for.

I was a little bit disappointed at the end of DOS2 because I found ends a bit quick and not really telling what's next for my companions, but that was ok and I play the definitive edition which was, If I understand, a major upgrade compared to the first version.
Here are not really the same excuses. about the stories told to us. The alpha began 3 years ago, game development even far away in time. We could expect a bit better ends for a game that we take pleasure in browsing for dozens of hours. Not hours of cinematics, but at least some texts with few draws like the end of DOS2...

If they don't proceed some adjustments with character's questilnes and ending like Karlach or Minthara, some informations about what's next about everyone, if they don't tell something about the romances, well I doubt I'll play this game a second time (which is ironic for a RPG where you can create your character the way you want and that encourage you to play in different styles).

I know they're working hard on their games, that's why I'm confident about their consideration of feedbacks. But missing your exit is often worse than missing your entry. And I don't want a game like this fall into oblivion in less than a year because ends are not memorable...
Remember how bad CP2077 was received at the beginning and what a banger it is right now. On the other hand who's remember Hogwarts Legacy ? Same hype as BG3, but 4 months later no one talks about it anymore...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kimba
Remember how bad CP2077 was received at the beginning and what a banger it is right now. On the other hand who's remember Hogwarts Legacy ? Same hype as BG3, but 4 months later no one talks about it anymore...
Excellent point.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by Kimba
You know what's worse than a bad game ? A incredible game with a so bad end.

You enjoy almost 100h of gameplay, to just end going back almost the same point you start, like killing gods, battling gods and devils, saving millions of people was like buying some milk at the supermarket.

That kind of game have to be epic the more you progress, and the end should be the climax, the thing you play 100h for.

I was a little bit disappointed at the end of DOS2 because I found ends a bit quick and not really telling what's next for my companions, but that was ok and I play the definitive edition which was, If I understand, a major upgrade compared to the first version.
Here are not really the same excuses. about the stories told to us. The alpha began 3 years ago, game development even far away in time. We could expect a bit better ends for a game that we take pleasure in browsing for dozens of hours. Not hours of cinematics, but at least some texts with few draws like the end of DOS2...

If they don't proceed some adjustments with character's questilnes and ending like Karlach or Minthara, some informations about what's next about everyone, if they don't tell something about the romances, well I doubt I'll play this game a second time (which is ironic for a RPG where you can create your character the way you want and that encourage you to play in different styles).

I know they're working hard on their games, that's why I'm confident about their consideration of feedbacks. But missing your exit is often worse than missing your entry. And I don't want a game like this fall into oblivion in less than a year because ends are not memorable...
Fully agree, cp2077 is my most favorite game, after dos series, because I like cp setting, I hope Larian support this game and adding some content later

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
My endings didn't seem to make much sense. And a few of them were from chat selections during the end cutscene which I thought was odd as opposed to the end result of 70 hours of playing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It's making me remember ME3, how the first thing the devs changed was, adding in actual ending.

BG3 even ends with a none of your choices matter make a binary destroy or control option that neither give you any explanation just a cutscene that doesn't involve any of the characters ending which is the thing ME3 backtracked

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
M
stranger
stranger
M
The ending was a joke.
idk how the devs made such a great game and then dropped the ball so hard when it came to the culmination of 80+ hours of being with your companions.
2-3 one liners from random companions and then a black screen? what were they thinking.

I saw the credits roll but I'm still waiting for an actual ending. Any help?

On a more serious note, calling the two actual endings we got disappointing would be an understatement. There's also only two choices our player character can make that end up affecting the ending, both of which happen in the last hour of the game - that is unless you want to count swaying our companions to decide on their respective fates as choices of our player character. Are we still the main character of this story or is it
the Emperor?
I kinda got confused over the course of act 3.

It's especially bad since not using the tadpoles turned out to be complete red herring that made me hamstring my character's abilities for absolutely no reason beyond my own headcanon. What a shame. The tension of weighing the tadpole's benefits for your quest against its potential corrupting influence was the most intruiging part of the early access' story. Not only does it never get resolved in the finished game, it gets completely evaporated and supplanted by an artificial one-time choice you get to make in act 3. There's no point to any of it. It's like Larian had a plan for the mechanic to work in tandem with the story at some point but scrapped it because they couldn't find a way to resolve it in a satisfying conclusion - which happens to be a greater overarching problem with act 3 and its main theme of ludonarrative dissonance.

There's more to be said about how pathetic act 3's villains are compared to Ketheric (both in build up and in terms of their actual combat encounters), how the Early Access' version of the Dream Vistitor was infinitely more intruiging than what we got in the finished game, how the game offers you illusions of choice at every step of the way (usually involving Shadowheart's mystery box) but it's not really something that can be fixed at this point. I could also definitely say a lot about
the Emperor and his stupid, overloaded backstory that rips you out of your own adventure without adding anything to it. Being a special, good mindflayer wasn't enough - he had to be Balduran as well? Really?
I guess the real Baldur's Gate were the squid friends we made along the way. crazy

Last edited by Nerovar; 15/08/23 03:31 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nerovar
I guess the real Baldur's Gate were the squid friends we made along the way. crazy

Well, Omeluum was pretty awesome. Guess who helps us defeat the Absolute in my personal headcanon?

Originally Posted by Tarlonniel

Well, Omeluum was pretty awesome. Guess who helps us defeat the Absolute in my personal headcanon?

Believe it or not, I actually had that ring of his equipped for most of the game hoping it would have some kind of effect on the story.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Well, 17000 endings are just death variations. If this is how they plan on treating those of us whom choose good endings then there isn't much to say but I never bought the originals and don't expect me to play another one. BTW, you satanists only have 100 years. Enjoy them while they last.

Note, I never got to act 3, never got to see Baldurs Gate, my game ended, no dialogue, no story, no cinematics only credits and a restart.

Last edited by blackfx; 15/08/23 11:35 PM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I thought Larian had said they are not going to make any DLC? So presumably that is it done.

old hand
old hand
Believe it or not, I actually had that ring of his equipped for most of the game hoping it would have some kind of effect on the story.

It did have sort of an effect in Early Access. Maybe more was planned. In any case, now I feel free to tell him to keep it, and I can imagine it helped protect him when the Absolute eventually showed up to cause mayhem and domination and junk.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard