Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by fylimar
Strangely enough, I get database errors, whenever I try to quote someone here.
I'm glad, characters are player sexual, because that way I can romance Shadowheart with my female halfling bard. And in the next playthrough Karlach with another female character.

I'm concerned though, that it seems companions are overly touchy feely if you use the wrong answer in conversations. I have not experienced that in my playthrough, the most was, that I was asked, if I were interested and I said no and that was it. But I was pretty careful with my answers after reading here, even downright rude to Gale once, because I feared all the other answers might lead into a 'romance'. When I read, that people feel uncomfortable then it is too much. I had the same feeling with the Daisy in EA and called it rapey too. This should be taken serious and maybe addressed in the next hotfix. Make a romance clear and player initiated like it is with Shadowheart.
+1.
Again, it’s not a playersexuality issue. It’s a lack of clarity in how to or how not to initiate a romance and a lack of options in letting companions down easy. Subreddit is discussing the latter a lot right now.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Originally Posted by Starsmith
With Halsin, one friendly misstep and all of a sudden *you the player* can’t back out without flirting with him, which is NOT realistic at all. No “slow down buddy”, no “1. Leave.”, just flirt or flirt harder.

That is not realistic and it’s on Larian for making alt+F4 the only way to get out of such an uncomfortable situation.

I'd definitely encourage anyone who comes across something like this, where there isn't a dialogue option that it looks as though there should be, to take a screenshot and submit it and probably their savegame to Larian as a bug. It's possible that they're per design, but I've certainly noticed plenty of other non-romance conversations where there look to be missing dialogue options, including some that I'm pretty sure were there in EA, and given the complexity of the dialogue trees it seems entirely possible they're just broken in some places.

Dont have a screenshot and don't know where it leads to, but I told Halsin to enjoy himself at the party and now I have a dialogue option with him for making an excuse for being so pushy/flirty at the party. Wtf?

In general the hornyness of BG3 companions are a problem and make them one dimensional. And player sexuality is part of that.

Playersexuality overrides common sense with for example Shadowheart shagging a Gith which she hate with the same vigor as a human.
And you can't have companions that are not interested in you like someone married and faithful, or someone with a defined sexuality.

No, because of Larians approach to "romance" all origins/companions must be ready and willing all the time. In that regard BG3 is very one dimensional and far behind Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous.

Last edited by Ixal; 11/08/23 11:29 AM.
veteran
veteran
ixal: I experienced the same with Halsin. I only told him to have fun at the party and now I have this apology option. So telling someone to have fun is a pushy flirt now? I will save before the next talk with Halsin for sure. This is a bit too much.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by OldBoar
Originally Posted by NoLoGo
[quote=urktheturtle]

On the topic of omnisexuality - i do like the larian approach of romance being written with everyone in mind (like in DOS2). I also think the critique of characters being a bit too pushy is valid and making the overall immersion worse as a result is valid as well.
I actually like NPC's initiative on flirting, its one of the things that makes them look realistic. I don't mind if they are even abusive with dominatrix intentions. I don't understand the people who think that the player should always be the initiator of romance

It would be fine in moderation. Not when they try to jump your bones after knowing you for 3 hours. Save it for Act 2.

Some characters it's fine I guess, like Asterion. Because he comes off as a kind of a creep when you meet him anyway. He is essentially the same character as Zevran from DA:O, who was also a horny weirdo.

I think the solution is a disposition meter. Flirty dialogs should only be "unlocked" at a certain level. If your level is too low and you initiate a flirty dialog, your followers should get mad and drop the meter even further.

Last edited by Stonechat; 11/08/23 04:06 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Stonechat
[quote=urktheturtle]

On the topic of omnisexuality - i do like the larian approach of romance being written with everyone in mind (like in DOS2). I also think the critique of characters being a bit too pushy is valid and making the overall immersion worse as a result is valid as well.
I actually like NPC's initiative on flirting, its one of the things that makes them look realistic. I don't mind if they are even abusive with dominatrix intentions. I don't understand the people who think that the player should always be the initiator of romance

It would be fine in moderation. Not when they try to jump your bones after knowing you for 3 hours. Save it for Act 2.

Some characters it's fine I guess, like Asterion. Because he comes off as a kind of a creep when you meet him anyway. He is essentially the same character as Zevran from DA:O, who was also a horny weirdo.
Especially when it goes against their chatacter like with Shadowheart and Gith characters.
And I have a hard time believing Wyll or Gale being Bi outside of the romance dialogues.

Also the enforced playersexuality limits the kind of Origins you can have like characters with defined sexuality or married characters (unless they are as consistent as Shadowheart with her hate for gith)

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Ixal
Originally Posted by Stonechat
[quote=urktheturtle]

Especially when it goes against their chatacter like with Shadowheart and Gith characters.
And I have a hard time believing Wyll or Gale being Bi outside of the romance dialogues.

Also the enforced playersexuality limits the kind of Origins you can have like characters with defined sexuality or married characters (unless they are as consistent as Shadowheart with her hate for gith)
I have a hard time believing SH, or Lae'Zel, whose whole arc is overcoming indoctrination would never, ever go for someone based on race. It'd be "realistic" to start off at lower approval, but outside that *my* suspension of disbelief is broken.

If you have a hard time believing a character is bisexual, wonderful! You've encountered someone who is not a stereotype. If you can tell *everyone's* sexuality within two minutes of meeting them, there's something off about the writing. If you have a massive problem with the concept of playersexuality, please make your own thread. Be aware Larian ignored all of them before, though.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Okay, final warning on this thread. Playersexuality and who companions are attracted to is not the issue here, so if you want to discuss that, take it elsewhere. You have the option of creating a separate, thoughtful thread on that topic rather than derailing this one. Any further off-topic posts here will be deleted and repeat offenders may be timed out to give them time to read and reflect on moderator requests.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Now, moderator hat off.

ixal: I experienced the same with Halsin. I only told him to have fun at the party and now I have this apology option. So telling someone to have fun is a pushy flirt now? I will save before the next talk with Halsin for sure. This is a bit too much.

I also got this. I wasn't sure if it was a bug, given that "coming on too strong" doesn't necessarily mean being sexual, it could just mean being forceful in a variety of ways and trying to get someone to do something they didn't want to do, even if it's only joining in at a party and having a drink. I was willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt on this, especially as it's an optional line that I could (and did) choose not to say if I didn't think it fitted what my character would be thinking.

Still, if someone has a savegame with this then it may be worth submitting to Larian as a defect and seeing what they say. Or if anyone has clicked the line, then perhaps that makes it clearer whether it's intended to refer to "coming on" to Halsin, or just "coming on too strong"?

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Now, moderator hat off.

I also got this. I wasn't sure if it was a bug, given that "coming on too strong" doesn't necessarily mean being sexual, it could just mean being forceful in a variety of ways and trying to get someone to do something they didn't want to do, even if it's only joining in at a party and having a drink. I was willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt on this, especially as it's an optional line that I could (and did) choose not to say if I didn't think it fitted what my character would be thinking.

Still, if someone has a savegame with this then it may be worth submitting to Larian as a defect and seeing what they say. Or if anyone has clicked the line, then perhaps that makes it clearer whether it's intended to refer to "coming on" to Halsin, or just "coming on too strong"?

I mean, I have a save at camp. I could do it for science and reload, if it is meant sexual. But not today, I'm going to bed now. Last thing I did, was helping the owlbear baby - that isa good way to end a game sesson grin

Doctor Who
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Okay here’s a camp party rant:

Reloaded to camp. Spoke to Gale about his not having friends. He says that he hopes he can count me among friends. I shit you not, these are the only 3 options (paraphrased):

1. I thought we could be more than friends.
2. Tell me what you like about me.
3. You’re more of a necessary means to an end.

I chose the second. Want to be Gale’s friend. But now he thinks there’s something going on.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Okay here’s a camp party rant:

Reloaded to camp. Spoke to Gale about his not having friends. He says that he hopes he can count me among friends. I shit you not, these are the only 3 options (paraphrased):

I chose the second. Want to be Gale’s friend. But now he thinks there’s something going on.

Huh, 2 sounds a bit needy and 3 rude, but I wouldn't expect either to lead him to think that there's something going on. Much as something in the middle saying words to the effect of "Yes we're friends (and just that)" would seem better. If option 2 leads to him thinking there's a relationship, then I'd definitely think there's a missing option and a bug. If you can be bothered to report it to Larian it feels as though that would be worthwhile.

veteran
veteran

Did this last night. It didn’t seem like a bug. Just a more subtle option to fit different characters. Maybe tone icons like Dragon Age would help people who don’t want to pick a flirty line.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I also got this. I wasn't sure if it was a bug, given that "coming on too strong" doesn't necessarily mean being sexual, it could just mean being forceful in a variety of ways and trying to get someone to do something they didn't want to do ... if anyone has clicked the line, then perhaps that makes it clearer whether it's intended to refer to "coming on" to Halsin, or just "coming on too strong"?
Did this last night. It didn’t seem like a bug. Just a more subtle option to fit different characters. Maybe tone icons like Dragon Age would help people who don’t want to pick a flirty line.

Thanks, Icelyn! So once clicking on that line, did the game seem to assume that you'd been flirting with Halsin at the party, or just that you'd tried to persuade him to do something he didn't want to do? Or were you able to clarify which one of these you'd seen it as?

Hope you're enjoying your new interactions with Halsin, by the way grin

addict
addict
I'd like to have more options. No just for romances.
Its weird to think nowdays that :

Is so amazingly immersive, choice driven, and reactive.
I feel we moved one step forward, two steps back.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 12/08/23 12:42 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
veteran
veteran

I'm sorry, saying "have a great party" == "coming on too strong"? Look, I get it, you're 100% positive for this game, I love the game too, but come on, let's talk about real people for a minute. If I said to someone at a gathering, "Hey have a great night, take it easy", NO ONE would take that as "oh my..they were hitting on me" or any sort of meaning where a "Sorry, I came on too strong last night". At this point we're just making up excuses to fit the weird dialogue.

veteran
veteran
Thanks, Icelyn! So once clicking on that line, did the game seem to assume that you'd been flirting with Halsin at the party, or just that you'd tried to persuade him to do something he didn't want to do? Or were you able to clarify which one of these you'd seen it as?

Yes (if you pick that line). You can respond by encouraging, saying you are glad you didn’t leave a bad impression, or telling him to forget it happened.

Last edited by Icelyn; 12/08/23 01:07 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I'm sorry, saying "have a great party" == "coming on too strong"? Look, I get it, you're 100% positive for this game, I love the game too, but come on, let's talk about real people for a minute. If I said to someone at a gathering, "Hey have a great night, take it easy", NO ONE would take that as "oh my..they were hitting on me" or any sort of meaning where a "Sorry, I came on too strong last night". At this point we're just making up excuses to fit the weird dialogue.
Will just have to agree to disagree on that, then. It is just my personal preference that I like having more subtle romance dialogue choices along with the more direct ones and like that there are different options to initiate the romances.

veteran
veteran

Yes (if you pick that line). You can respond by encouraging, saying you are glad you didn’t leave a bad impression, or telling him to forget it happened.

Yes, it is a flirt or yes, you tried to persuade him to do something, he doesn't want? Still not that clear for me.

Doctor Who
I
old hand
old hand
I
Imo this is no bug. For that it happens too often and the wording of the options is too clearly going into one direction.

I rather think that for Larian having sex with them is one of the primary purposes of companions, so all "good" options lead to it. Just being friends is a failure with that design and thus did not get another option outside of the rude one.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
I do believe there is a bug going on in the approval system. I had several companions hitting on me, so to say I found it amusing But from that, to say, sexual harassment? That is a bit too much, don't you think?

I never found the dialogues with Gale, for example, overly thirsty, unlike Laezel, who lusts after you. But that's part of the character. As for those that are disturbed by such content, I will have you know that the game is not for kids, so there is no reason to pretend to censor stuff.

Romances can be avoided if you want. What I see now are some situations that romances trigger and should not.

Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard