Print Thread
Page 7 of 157 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 156 157
O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by G4RIIK
Originally Posted by Tomelius
It really makes me not want to finish the game knowing what will happen.
I had my hopes up for fixing her engine especially when the steelwatch commented that it is an outdated model, just for it turn out as nothing.
As one of the most positive and compassionate characters, she deserves an option for a happy ending. It's also a major peeve with me that Larian said that BG3 will have 17,000 ending variations for the game, but they couldn't squeeze in a good ending for her. Larian did her dirty and I sincerelly hope they will fix that.
#JUSTICE FOR KALRACH

Its unfortunate that so many people have said to me, on the various social media posts things like "I know I spoiled myself but thank you for saving me the emotional torment" or, as you said "This makes me not want to finish the game", things like that, and the sheer amount of individuals who thought it had to be a buggy quest (myself included before all of this) really shocked me, and I think that's evidence more than anything that we really need to see a change.

The whole "Good person who just wants to live, but doesn't have the option to" trope they have going for her is just too much for me. Hits too close to home.

It sounds stupid, but it really is one of those things which has left that terrible knot in the pit of my stomach.

I just can't bring myself to keep playing, which is so sad, because I haven't felt this invested in a game in years.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Deepack
I don't consider Larian to be lazy. It's just that both the ending and Karlach herself, in terms of quality and refinement, are far from the rest. The number of possibilities that BG3 offers in terms of mission resolution is truly incredible. The amount of detail present in the game at every step is absolutely stunning. However, this doesn't change the fact that the ending feels like a completely separate entity from the rest of the game. Throughout the game, you encounter logical explanations, precise information, etc. This is lacking in the ending. As for Karlach, in my opinion, there simply wasn't enough time for her development (just like for the ending). The Gondian Forge and the reference to a better version of the engine that can work in Faerun almost give the impression that the content where Karlach could be fixed was cut out or it might even be a quest bug that doesn't trigger.

BG3 is an outstanding game, but there are areas where it could and should be better.

Agreed, Ive been singing my praises for this game and will again. Larian, you guys killed it!

I also agree that it looks like her Act 3 quest has remnants of cut content in it, which is why so many people thought her quest was just bugged a few days ago.

The ending in general I think could use some work, even some epilogue cards, just SOMETHING to end our experience on a rewarding note.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Ojutai
I had my hopes up for fixing her engine especially when the steelwatch commented that it is an outdated model, just for it turn out as nothing.
As one of the most positive and compassionate characters, she deserves an option for a happy ending. It's also a major peeve with me that Larian said that BG3 will have 17,000 ending variations for the game, but they couldn't squeeze in a good ending for her. Larian did her dirty and I sincerelly hope they will fix that.
#JUSTICE FOR KALRACH

Its unfortunate that so many people have said to me, on the various social media posts things like "I know I spoiled myself but thank you for saving me the emotional torment" or, as you said "This makes me not want to finish the game", things like that, and the sheer amount of individuals who thought it had to be a buggy quest (myself included before all of this) really shocked me, and I think that's evidence more than anything that we really need to see a change.

The whole "Good person who just wants to live, but doesn't have the option to" trope they have going for her is just too much for me. Hits too close to home.

It sounds stupid, but it really is one of those things which has left that terrible knot in the pit of my stomach.

I just can't bring myself to keep playing, which is so sad, because I haven't felt this invested in a game in years.

Agreed. Her story reads like a bad allegory for terminal illness, especially the hope-baiting that happens all game. It might have worked better had the setting not been a fantasy realm with fixes around every corner.

A good tragedy is supposed to invoke catharsis, not grief, which from your comment you do not sound cathartic at all.

I also hope Larian addresses these issues, it sucks too because her bad ends would be such a GOOD quest fail state if the player is the reason she didnt get fixed, but the lack of a solution, despite potential fixes being absolutely everywhere, feels like a gut punch.

Last edited by Magmablargg; 12/08/23 01:48 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Magmablargg
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Agree with most of the complaints here, but this is not a movement lmao. It’s a few mild complaints about a handful of controversial narrative decisions.

Gaming journalism has already wrote pieces about this, we're the biggest channel in the feedback discord servers, and the second largest forum thread. Just because you dont see the movement doesn't mean it isnt there.

Larian has done this kind of thing before, so there's no reason they couldn't again.

And while sure they might not end up doing anything, that's their choice to make, if we say nothing we're guaranteed to not get change.

#JusticeforKarlach
I’m not saying this to be mean, but it comes across as just a little bit obsessive. It’s an ending for one companion in a video game. Let’s contextualise this a little bit. 100% want to see you guys get what you want because it would make the game better, but “movement” is a bit extreme. It’s just feedback.

You can consider it obsessive sure. I'd go with passionate, but really a 'movement' is just a group of people working towards a common goal, which is what this is.

And yes it is a video game, a video game that Larian has spent roughly 10 years developing. And for the vastly greater part they made a damn near perfect game. A game so good and enthralling that many people like myself couldnt help but become invested in the very real seeming characters.

The problem arises that in a game built around choices, no matter what choices you make during the story, Karlach's 3 potential endings are quite literally the 3 options she had at the beginning of the game; die, become a mindflayer, or return to hell. In a game where otherwise your agency is so valued and built upon it just comes across as unfinished when all other characters have a range of endings from bad to good, but Karlach is the only character who your choices dont affect, and always gets a bad ending.
Fine, I guess it’s just semantics then.
Justice for Karlach.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
O
stranger
stranger
O
#JUSTICE FOR KALRACH

Agreed. Her story reads like a bad allegory for terminal illness, especially the hope-baiting that happens all game. It might have worked better had the setting not been a fantasy realm with fixes around every corner.

A good tragedy is supposed to invoke catharsis, not grief, which from your comment you do not sound cathartic at all.

I also hope Larian addresses these issues, it sucks too because her bad ends would be such a GOOD quest fail state if the player is the reason she didnt get fixed, but the lack of a solution, despite potential fixes being absolutely everywhere, feels like a gut punch.

Quite the opposite of catharsis indeed.

I don't even dislike "tragic" endings. I genuinely adored the tone with which Cyberpunk 2077 ends where you leave Night City with the Nomads. It's made clear that while you don't have much time, you have a little, and you'll spend it with the people you care about.

apprentice
apprentice

Quite the opposite of catharsis indeed.

I don't even dislike "tragic" endings. I genuinely adored the tone with which Cyberpunk 2077 ends where you leave Night City with the Nomads. It's made clear that while you don't have much time, you have a little, and you'll spend it with the people you care about.

That's it. The end of CP2077 is totally what a tragic/bittersweet end is, you know V is barely dead, you leave with the nomads hoping for a solution, but you know there's 99% chance that it will end in 6 months.
Also Lee in Telltale's The Walinkg Dead is a tragic character, as you know that he'll die and become a zombie real fast, but anyway he'll do everything to save Clementine.

But here Karlach's fate doesn't need to be that tragic in any way without a solution or at least an explanation. Her issue is not that bad as it shown in the game, compared to what we see, like a full region cursed, a forest spirit "cut in half", or a woman that cannot make her husband live as he's dead and rotting for months.

#JusticeForKarlach
#LetTheGondiansFixHerHeart

V
stranger
stranger
V
#JUSTICE FOR KALRACH

It goes to show what a loveable character they've manage to create. So many of us have been looking forward to playing this game for years and so many of us love it aswell, but we would rather stop the experience early rather than going through to the end knowing what sort of emotional distress it'll cause us, and I think that speaks to how invested some of us are in this incredible game.

So please Larian allow us to fully enjoy this game, allow us to work towards a happy ending if that's the route we choose to pursue. Don't make us feel as if all the work and emotions we're putting in is all in vain that there will be no happy ending for us even after overcoming all the challenges that've been thrown at us.
Alot of us play these games as an escape from reality (myself included) and I know most of us want to feel good and excited when we close the game for the night, not an overwhelming sense of anxiousness and dread of what's to come when you start it up again the next day.

So please allow us to feel we have the power to save those we love and care for. For this exact feeling is the reason some of us escape reality and immerse ourselves so heavily in these games.

stranger
stranger
While you make some agreeable points (mostly around the tone deafness), Karlach and Tav are pulled along by hope, Karlach wants to live more than anything, more than she wants to go out a hero, more than she wants to return to Avernus, and the solution (among many) to her problem is wafted under the player's nose. I can't understate how gutwrenching it is, to be told that the solution sits right in the Foundry, with the Gondians, only to not be able to do anything with it, not even discuss it with Zanner, Dammon, nothing. By the end of the game (and when you play as her), returning to Avernus is posed as the "best" ending, Tav (or Wyll) is going to go with her, keep her safe, continue to love her unconditionally. But we get no payoff, no epilogue to show us that our choice there mattered. As it stands, I don't think any of us find it LAZY, but definitely feel like it went unfinished due to time.

"By the end of the game (and when you play as her), returning to Avernus is posed as the "best" ending, Tav (or Wyll) is going to go with her, keep her safe, continue to love her unconditionally." Wyll will do WHAT? lol

Yes this is how I've felt as well. I can not bring myself to push forward and have simply opted to taking an extended break from the game.
Is it possible to talk to her about going to Avernus with her before the actual ending scene outside of bringing up her infernal engine? This could be an approach they take to her story to make it a little less doom and gloom, where she and Tav resolve to take the only action they seem to be able to sooner; rather than her specifically talking about being dead right up until the ending. Being able to have a conversation about it and have that reflected in her dialogue might soften the blow of the ending.

Last edited by Vile; 12/08/23 10:15 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
The endings could be more acceptable if they felt narratively earned. They are an ending to a specific tragedy, but it proceeded in such a way that it feels hollow.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
M
stranger
stranger
M
The endings could be more acceptable if they felt narratively earned. They are an ending to a specific tragedy, but it proceeded in such a way that it feels hollow.

Thats because a tragedy typically requires the fallen to have caused their own downfall. Neither the player nor Karlach are responsible for, or have any agency in her ending.

Tragedy =/= cruelty

Even an epilogue card with some hopeful narration would have done wonders to making it feel more satisfying.

Justice for Karlach!

apprentice
apprentice

Thats because a tragedy typically requires the fallen to have caused their own downfall. Neither the player nor Karlach are responsible for, or have any agency in her ending.

Tragedy =/= cruelty

Even an epilogue card with some hopeful narration would have done wonders to making it feel more satisfying.

Justice for Karlach!

Amen.

Don't know if some of you open a D&D DM book. At the end you have several pages of conclusion where each little part of all your story have its epilogue. So the players are satisfied to know what's next, even if it's not the best ending, depending of the Journey, but at least you know and you can start a new campaign without any frustration like "what could have happened if I had the possibility to change it".

Fact that there is no explanation about how things goes bad for Karlach in the whole game, there is no solution at least mentionned (without talking about a deus ex machina that most of the NPC have too, and that Karlach deserves too ngl), nothing you can do to change her fate... yeah we're not in a tragedy, we're more in a story that is not told to the end... for now only, I hope.

Justice for Karlach, she deserves one end with a lot of flowers too, after all she suffers without asking anything.

N
stranger
stranger
N
i need to say just one thing

#JusticeForKarlach

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Agree with most of the complaints here, but this is not a movement lmao. It’s a few mild complaints about a handful of controversial narrative decisions.

Gaming journalism has already wrote pieces about this, we're the biggest channel in the feedback discord servers, and the second largest forum thread. Just because you dont see the movement doesn't mean it isnt there.

Larian has done this kind of thing before, so there's no reason they couldn't again.

And while sure they might not end up doing anything, that's their choice to make, if we say nothing we're guaranteed to not get change.

#JusticeforKarlach
I’m not saying this to be mean, but it comes across as just a little bit obsessive. It’s an ending for one companion in a video game. Let’s contextualise this a little bit. 100% want to see you guys get what you want because it would make the game better, but “movement” is a bit extreme. It’s just feedback.

I think "movement" and "cause" are just words that have fallen under the umbrella, we've been called a movement, faction, cause, many similar words. I don't think anyone means to be overly obsessive, but many of us are driven and know that we have to maintain our voice to see any kind of success, or be seen by Larian at all. Appreciate your contribution and support none the less.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Just made an account to post here. There's nothing I could add that hasn't been said already about how Karlach deserves a happy ending, how much the character has resonated with me, how much the VA absolutely killed the role, improved my playthrough...everything everyone's already said.

What I will add is an extremely important consequence of Karlach's poor conclusion, at least for me: I have no desire to play her as an origin character or even have her in my party when I inevitably replay this game. For such a great character this is an absolute tragedy, but since her endings are all functionally the same, there's nothing more for me to discover about her in different playthroughs. After having Shadowheart go down a good path, I'm looking forward to a Dark Urge game where she can
go down the dark justiciar/evil/embracing Shar route;
after ending the game with Gale in my party, on another run I can
have him sacrifice himself at the end and get the hero's death he deserves.
But with Karlach, since no roads lead to fixing her heart, one playthrough is sufficient to get everything out of the character, save a single dialogue option at the end that lets you choose death versus Avernus. On that note, I feel like there's no difference between choosing to die or choosing to go to Avernus--her problem is that her heart doesn't work, and neither of those address that. No matter what route we take, she ends up in exactly the same place we found her in at the beginning of the game.

Squid ending can stay because it's goofy as hell and while it feels bad on a character level (given there's no good ending to fall back on), it feels like an extremely out of left field D&D move I can absolutely see a player at my table making during a tabletop finale. Plus, if we had a satisfactory good ending for Karlach, I honestly feel like mind flayer would be a fine "option to save Karlach if you blew off all her personal quest stuff" kinda ending.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by HexbladeEnjoyer
Just made an account to post here. There's nothing I could add that hasn't been said already about how Karlach deserves a happy ending, how much the character has resonated with me, how much the VA absolutely killed the role, improved my playthrough...everything everyone's already said.

What I will add is an extremely important consequence of Karlach's poor conclusion, at least for me: I have no desire to play her as an origin character or even have her in my party when I inevitably replay this game. For such a great character this is an absolute tragedy, but since her endings are all functionally the same, there's nothing more for me to discover about her in different playthroughs. After having Shadowheart go down a good path, I'm looking forward to a Dark Urge game where she can
go down the dark justiciar/evil/embracing Shar route;
after ending the game with Gale in my party, on another run I can
have him sacrifice himself at the end and get the hero's death he deserves.
But with Karlach, since no roads lead to fixing her heart, one playthrough is sufficient to get everything out of the character, save a single dialogue option at the end that lets you choose death versus Avernus. On that note, I feel like there's no difference between choosing to die or choosing to go to Avernus--her problem is that her heart doesn't work, and neither of those address that. No matter what route we take, she ends up in exactly the same place we found her in at the beginning of the game.

Squid ending can stay because it's goofy as hell and while it feels bad on a character level (given there's no good ending to fall back on), it feels like an extremely out of left field D&D move I can absolutely see a player at my table making during a tabletop finale. Plus, if we had a satisfactory good ending for Karlach, I honestly feel like mind flayer would be a fine "option to save Karlach if you blew off all her personal quest stuff" kinda ending.

This is another great point. A lack of ending variety would become a glaring issue seeing all the possible permutations to every other party members ending, but hers ends basically the same way every time.

T
stranger
stranger
T
This unfortunately killed the game for me. I don't think it would have if I was playing an origin character, but as my own character, it did. I'm very invested in my character, because it's my character, and finding out that I can't succeed at perhaps the only thing I wanted, really just makes me not want to continue at all.

After the Act 3 date night and the subsequent conversation, it seemed like the game was again telegraphing that there was no good ending. I thought that surely that must not be the case, but knew I would be mad if it was, so I went to find out. Glad I did, because it spared me the experience of finding out first hand only after investing even more time and emotional energy into the game. She's perhaps the only character I actively liked from the start, one of the few who isn't arrogant, self-righteous, or self-serving. Being made to listen to Karlach's happiness about being free and in the world, the city she grew up in, and the people she cares about, only to learn that her choices for life are being a slave for eternity, being mutilated, or being dead, really crushed any desire I have to keep playing. Dropping the game 80% of the way through is rough, but when I load it up I just feel no motivation to continue playing.

It's a fantasy world with plenty of opportunity, not just in the general D&D universe, but *specifically in the game* and having them all completely disregarded, is a tragedy. Such a wholesome character wasted on what I think the writers must have thought was deep and tragic, but is instead just offensive and disappointing. People have already covered the plentiful ways that her story could have been addressed by things specifically called out in the game as being possible and real solutions, but literally any of those would be better than what we got. Have the Grymforge gnomes fix her, have Dammon fix her, let me use Divine Intervention on her, do literally anything that has already been established as possible, but not just "lol oh well she must suffer for all eternity because we think it's funnier that way."

Guess I'll see if it gets fixed in a Definitive Edition, because right now I can't find the motivation to continue.

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tural
This unfortunately killed the game for me. I don't think it would have if I was playing an origin character, but as my own character, it did. I'm very invested in my character, because it's my character, and finding out that I can't succeed at perhaps the only thing I wanted, really just makes me not want to continue at all.

After the Act 3 date night and the subsequent conversation, it seemed like the game was again telegraphing that there was no good ending. I thought that surely that must not be the case, but knew I would be mad if it was, so I went to find out. Glad I did, because it spared me the experience of finding out first hand only after investing even more time and emotional energy into the game. She's perhaps the only character I actively liked from the start, one of the few who isn't arrogant, self-righteous, or self-serving. Being made to listen to Karlach's happiness about being free and in the world, the city she grew up in, and the people she cares about, only to learn that her choices for life are being a slave for eternity, being mutilated, or being dead, really crushed any desire I have to keep playing. Dropping the game 80% of the way through is rough, but when I load it up I just feel no motivation to continue playing.

It's a fantasy world with plenty of opportunity, not just in the general D&D universe, but *specifically in the game* and having them all completely disregarded, is a tragedy. Such a wholesome character wasted on what I think the writers must have thought was deep and tragic, but is instead just offensive and disappointing. People have already covered the plentiful ways that her story could have been addressed by things specifically called out in the game as being possible and real solutions, but literally any of those would be better than what we got. Have the Grymforge gnomes fix her, have Dammon fix her, let me use Divine Intervention on her, do literally anything that has already been established as possible, but not just "lol oh well she must suffer for all eternity because we think it's funnier that way."

Guess I'll see if it gets fixed in a Definitive Edition, because right now I can't find the motivation to continue.

We can all only hope that its remedied in a Definitive Edition (given the work), or sooner. So many people have approached me on the discord, or posted similar comments to yourself that it either ruined their experience, made them want to give up, or that they were glad to be spoiled, saving themselves the emotional turmoil of having the ability to save her, but being refused the opportunity to investigate, or grasp it. I hope Larian hears us out, and in the coming months, or even year, we succeed in getting Karlach the ending she deserves.

#JusticeForKarlach

G
stranger
stranger
G
Anyone with a youtube video of the Karlach ending where Tav asks her if she wants to stay and die in the material plane or go with they (tav) to avernus?

I like her reply there and its a good argument on how Karlach grew from being absolutely against ever going back to really putting her desire for a emotional relationship with Tav above her own personal fears of Avernus.

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by GenPlastro
Anyone with a youtube video of the Karlach ending where Tav asks her if she wants to stay and die in the material plane or go with they (tav) to avernus?

I like her reply there and its a good argument on how Karlach grew from being absolutely against ever going back to really putting her desire for a emotional relationship with Tav above her own personal fears of Avernus.

I believe there are a few on youtube if you just search "Karlach Endings" and yes, that's basically how it goes. Same with Wyll asking her, Tav says "It's Karlach's choice" and she chooses Avernus over dying. Her will to live trumps her denial of returning to Avernus.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I'll try, last time i only saw 1 person with fairly bad combo of dialogues, the guy seemly avoided all the romantic replies Karlach gives to the player on purpose.

Speaking of which, at least Karlach isnt in the same level of frustration as Minthara, on the other thread here some dialogue for her was data mined and apparently
she was supposed to have a pregnancy plot (mayba ala Aerie from Baldur's Gate 2).
I am actually quite sad such big chunk of content was left out of BG3.

Last edited by GenPlastro; 13/08/23 06:24 AM.
Page 7 of 157 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 156 157

Link Copied to Clipboard