Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
If ranged enemies wouldn't be able to shoot mages through people it would already help.

Any form of cover would be great. Like being 100% behind foliage does nothing even though it looks like there is no line of sight.

They could reduce the amount of fire bombs enemies have. Being on fire procs a lot of Concentration checks. You're always on fire in BG3.

And falling Prone should not break Concentration. That was just them hating on control and finding one more excuse to end those spells.

Last edited by 1varangian; 16/08/23 09:15 PM.
Originally Posted by Slapstick
Originally Posted by Totoro
I generally avoid Concentration spells because of the issues with the rules. I think a corresponding change to Concentration is merited.

For example, I think you could make Concentrate a Skill instead of a CON save, making it take a little more work to optimize but with bigger payoff. You could then take an Action to "Focus Concentration" to gain Advantage on saves to Maintain Concentration. War Caster could give you Expertise in Concentrate, plus the Shocking Grasp benefit, and you can use Maintain Concentration as a Bonus Action (but you'd still be pretty good without the Concentrate Action because of Expertise). You could do the same thing without making Concentrate a Skill, but it seems like a Proficiency Slot is about what the upgrade is worth (not a whole additional feat). And you could perhaps impose Disadvantage (canceled if you Focus Concentration) if you try to maintain two spells.

Pardon me for saying so, but this seems like a very convoluted way to fix something that is much more easily fixed by staying true to the rules. It should be one check when hit, always add con, allow me to drop prone to hide from arrows. A fighter with defensive style, a spear and sentinel + polearm master would then be all the defense a wizard needs. We don't need to invent something new, Larian just needs to do 5e rules justice.
Actually, I think you are right.

apprentice
apprentice
Dnd5e rules on concentration spells are IMO way too restrictive, but in BG3 it's 100 times worse atm.
I've seen cases of concentration checks and losses while taking no damage and not being attacked, just by attacking an enemy on your own turn (attacks proc'ed some hidden mechanic that triggered it)
Concentration spells don't last.... Something should be done about it. Concentration checks need to be pruned.

In the tabletop, I think one of the main thing that saves concentration spells is that DMs and players forget to make the concentration checks in many cases where they are needed.

Last edited by Tottenheim; 16/08/23 10:12 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I am a big fan of the fire wall. Singlehandedly wins me some difficult fights with arrangeable chokepoints. And while I see why this system may not be everyone's cup of tea, anything that combats pre-buffing is already a plus in my book.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard