Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
What if there was an option at the start of the game to set your romance preference? So you could pick it as anyone / male only / female only, and then only companions of your selection could enter their romance discussions with your character?

I don't care but this would pretty much instantly solve every complaint on this issue.

Essentially, yes. I said before here and I mean this genuinely, I think if people are really that upset about it I would recommend petitioning a modder to do so. It would probably be done faster that way too than if they were to get Larian to do it.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
And again I give reminders, having had to move a couple of posts to the appropriate thread as well as remove some that aren't respecting the guidelines I have laid down in attempt to help us discuss this potentially thorny topic in a constructive way.

Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Can I ask that we keep discussions of possible problems with specific relationships to the thread that we've been using for that purpose at https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=880727.

To help prevent us going round in circles which will be frustrating for everyone, can people please speak for themselves and avoid making general claims about what other people elsewhere want or feel?

I am starting to get the feeling that everyone who has a point to make about playersexuality has now made it and we're just spinning wheels and going off on tangents here. If there's not another post soon by someone new wanting to give their own personal take on playersexuality, I am going to lock this thread as it's now causing way too much work given that people aren't actually talking much about the topic it was created for.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
B
stranger
stranger
B
I for one appreciate that the companions are playersexual. I like the greater choice it gives me. I don't enjoy being locked out of a romance because I'm playing as a male character, or because I'm playing as a halfling.

In the real world, there are all sorts of reasons you and another person don't click: sexual orientation, chemistry, level of physical attraction, etc. But there are also billions of people on the planet, and the chances that you can find someone who you do click with are much higher. In a fictional game world, where there are finite options in terms of romance, I'd much rather be able to pick from all of the available choices. That way I can make sure I'm pursuing a romantic storyline with the character I most want to pursue, rather than just the one I'm forced to pursue because they're all that's available.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I stand corrected. Thank you for bringing us back on topic bthebard!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by shrug1234
For your logic to make sense it would also need to follow that bisexuality is an inferior or less-vaild sexuality. At the very least, a "less sensical" one.

Absolutely not. That would be against the forum rules and ignoring our dear mod reminder.

To put it logically. If a companion backstory states it is A and playersexual makes it B there is a logical break.

A or B don't matter it is the break in the narrative that does. In that case removing the reference to A entirely would be better.

If you prefer consider a character as vegan and upon meeting you will move to a meat only diet. That's confusing.

7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by bthebard
I for one appreciate that the companions are playersexual. I like the greater choice it gives me. I don't enjoy being locked out of a romance because I'm playing as a male character, or because I'm playing as a halfling.

In the real world, there are all sorts of reasons you and another person don't click: sexual orientation, chemistry, level of physical attraction, etc. But there are also billions of people on the planet, and the chances that you can find someone who you do click with are much higher. In a fictional game world, where there are finite options in terms of romance, I'd much rather be able to pick from all of the available choices. That way I can make sure I'm pursuing a romantic storyline with the character I most want to pursue, rather than just the one I'm forced to pursue because they're all that's available.

I hear your argument. But in that case the ultimate solution is not to have playersexual companion but let them creating them entirely like we are doing it with the guardian. That would be an (almost) infinitely better solution.

Playersexual gives you 2 human male one white one black, a tiefling female, a half-elf female, a gith female, and a high-elfe male assuming you are comfortable with a bi setting. If you are straight and species agnostic (the vast majority of players) that's 3.

So the playersexual approach double your diversity Vs. Preset sexual preference for companion while sacrificing back story continuity in some cases.

Meanwhile consider what a respec of companion appearance would have yielded. (Noting than allow you to respec their class which for gale/wyll/sh is breaking continuity too)

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Oh, and as I've not repeated this one for a while, also:

I'm also going to encourage folk to say their piece and then try not to keep repeating themselves just because others don't agree. This is a topic on which we simply aren't all going to see eye to eye, and in the end are going to have to agree to disagree. It's of course fine to ask follow-up questions on substantive new points raised, to answer if someone asks you a direct question, or to respond if someone has quoted and replied to a point you've made and you think they've misunderstood what you mean. But please recognise when you've made your view clear and help prevent this discussion going round in circles.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Oh, and as I've not repeated this one for a while, also:

I'm also going to encourage folk to say their piece and then try not to keep repeating themselves just because others don't agree. This is a topic on which we simply aren't all going to see eye to eye, and in the end are going to have to agree to disagree. It's of course fine to ask follow-up questions on substantive new points raised, to answer if someone asks you a direct question, or to respond if someone has quoted and replied to a point you've made and you think they've misunderstood what you mean. But please recognise when you've made your view clear and help prevent this discussion going round in circles.
By God, you’re trying.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Okay, all. I'm logging off for the night. It feels like lots of folk have had their say on this topic and we can all now see the variety of different opinions people have on the approach to player-sexuality in BG3. But actual on topic posts have tailed off, so to protect everyone from the propensity this topic unfortunately has to prompt discussion that is uncomfortable or even upsetting for many forum members, and the amount of my time and attention it takes, I'm going to now call time on it. The thread will remain here as a record of the different views forum members have on the subject.

If anyone has any genuinely new take on the topic not already represented here, they can feel free to PM me and I will consider adding it to or reopening the thread.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard