Print Thread
Page 11 of 156 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 155 156
O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by tarraxahum
Originally Posted by Omaeka
I think people are overlooking the Avernus with Tav option. Knowing Zariel in DnD lore, she would accept them both as Champions, and they could fight the Blood War together. While this seems like a cruel fate for Karlach, from her dialogue we can see that she didn't run from Avernus because she was a 'slave', she ran because she was alone, having her chance at love and connections stolen by being stowed away into a realm of heartless Devils (enforced by her Compassionate approval tag). She had respect and titles (Demonbane), Mazora was jealous of how much Zariel favored Karlach over others, and Karlach admits that she enjoyed fighting demons (further enforced by her Violent approval tag).

It would be very in character for Zariel to forget about Karlach's insubordination should she come back to her willingly, and pretty much guaranteed with Tav offering themselves as another Champion (A base level 12 character with direct patronage from a Lesser Deity is extremely powerful, even more so in the Deity's own realm of influence). It is bitter sweet, and horribly resolved in the actual game with no sliders or post credit scene or quick in-game battle against Demons surrounded by friendly Pit Fiends etc., but Tav and Karlach continuing their lives and romance as Champions of Zariel is not a bad fate by any means, and would cure Karlach of the loneliness that ate at her in Avernus. The main issue with this ending is the execution, the Soprano's style fade-to-black with no shown or implied resolution. For all we know Zariel immediately kills Tav and forces them into a soulcoin to punish Karlach (very unlikely, Zariel puts protecting the multiverse from the Abyss above all else) or they arrive in Avernus and immediately run for their lives being hunted like rabbits. The resolution isn't there, their fates are left to interpretation which in other stories can work, but doesn't work here.

Now I'm not saying that she shouldn't have a more difficult resolution to her quest that sees her live happily in Fayrun alone or with a romanced Tav, she should. Returning to Avernus with Tav should be an outcome from a quest-fail state combined with a successful romance, not the best outcome. However it's the best outcome we get, and knowing DnD lore, their fate would not be a terrible one. They get to have their fairytale romance in the downtime between fighting in the Blood War. We are just not shown this, and Larian failed to resolve the storyline they implemented with poor execution rather than poor ideas.

You know what, thank you for this (and the following posts on the topic), because I indeed didn't have much context on Zariel. Just like others (and you yourself, credit where it's due), I still maintain that it sucks plot-wise and DnD-mechanic-wise that we don't have an option or a choice to struggle for a happier ending for her (especially with opportunities presented and compared to others), so to that end I'll MUCH hope for an addition somewhere down the line, but for so long as we have to work with what we have for now... That's an interesting point to consider. Will make imagining what could happen after much easier. The bitterness of the fact that she absolutely never wanted to go back there and that nothing really progressed for her character except for Tav (and being able to touch people at last, hopefully that stays) is still there, but at least it doesn't sound that bleak.

If Larian understands the DnD lore well, she would live a compromised, but relatively good life with Tav in Avernus. Devils aren't mindless monsters, their sole reason for existence in the current lore is to oppose the mindless and chaotic monsters in the Abyss. They have an extremely strict code and follow the lawful part of their cosmic alignment much more strictly than their Celestial counter parts, which says a lot. Karlach being crowned as a Champion of an Archdevil would have afforded her influence and stability in their society. She would even have the respect of the Pit Fiends (very interesting beings btw, I recommend looking them up, they are far more nuanced and heroic than their appearance would make them seem). It is likely her title of Demonbane came from a Pit Fiend itself, which is a massive show of respect, as they utterly despise weak or unworthy denizens, and are the proverbial judge jury and executioners of Hell. Most Archdevils leave the politics and organization of the Blood War to their Pit Fiends. Zariel is the only exception to this as she fights in the Blood War herself, as a Fallen Celestial Berserker.

What Karlach doesn't want to return to in Avernus is the loneliness. Devils make for poor company for someone who yearns true love and companionship, someone with the wants and desires of mortals. She wouldn't have been abused or tormented, her position in Avernus would have been concrete and comfortable for as long as she could perform in the Blood War, which was easy for her. She is terrified of going back to that unthathomable loneliness, but she wouldn't have that with Tav by her side, which is why her reluctance to go back with Tav is so confusing. As long as they were both comfortable with their stations, as Champions and a duo of Demonslaying romance, which they would be, they would both be offered respect and comfort with one another. The Devils would have no resentment or care for the love they share, an alien concept to them, when it can be weaponized against the Demons, it would even be encouraged. There is simply no chance that Zariel would see the love they share and try to destroy it when it would be such a huge boon to her Champions and a valuable asset in her eternal war.

This is assuming Larian actually give a shit about the lore of Baatur of course, if they perceive it as a generic Hell type plane where everyone is tormented and tortured for no reason, then going back is a horrible fate.

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by G4RIIK
I did cover the Avernus ending (somewhat extensively, with options) in my original post. Fact of the matter is for the entire game (until that end), Karlach is adamant in not only her refusal to return to Avernus, but also returning to Zariel's servitude as the 'Fury of Avernus'. That simply wouldn't be any shade of positive ending for the character. Best case scenario, Larian forges a good ending from the pieces left on the table in Act 3, and allows us to fix her heart. But second to that, the House of Hope, Doomslaying through Zariel's forces and demons in Avernus, some kind of positive epilogue. But certainly not serving Zariel in any capacity.

They wouldn't last long having to contend with the Abyss and Zariel's forces, Karlach would lose her patronage from Zariel and would not have the powers she required in Avernus to survive. The positivity of this ending would be having Tav at her side, and I believe that would bring her happiness whether she served Zariel or not. Of all the Archdevils, Zariel is the most motivated and and has little care for personal slights if a resolution would aid her in the Blood War. She would likely even allow them permanent residence in the House of Hope and to live their lives unimpeded and with dual patronage should they aid in her efforts against the Abyss. Don't get me wrong, I despise what Zariel did to Karlach, but there is no questioning that she is the most fair and least deceitful of the Archdevils, due to her dormant Celestial nature.

If Larion cares enough to resolve Karlach's questline with an ending that is remotely satisfying, it is most likely to be something involving Zariel and Avernus, and unfortunately two level 12 characters stand absolutely no chance in Avernus without allegiances and patronage. Even at level 20 they would be living on borrowed time. Karlach despises Zariel because of what she took from her, not due to her treatment over the 10 years of her servitude. There can be no happy endings in the Nine Hells, the nature of those planes quite literally forbids it. So Larian can either write a completely new outcome to her storyline that involves her deserved fairytail ending in Faerun or she compromises in Avernus and plays the best hand she's got, with the person she loves.

Step 1: Be in Act 3, learn from the Steel Watcher that Karlach's heart is an early version of theirs.
Step 2: Rescue Zanner's daughter, tell him.
Step 3: Clear the Steel Watch Foundry
Step 4: Tell Zanner about your issue
Step 5: Compassionate because you saved his daughter, he builds a final heart with Dammon for Karlach.

3/5 of these are already ingame and provide a much more satisfying ending than returning to Zariel's service, which is something Karlach clearly doesn't want to do. She wants to live, on the material plane, and the pieces are right there.

I understand your point, and the lore (I even played a D2A game where we redeemed Zariel). But if they were to expand on the Avernus ending, it would go entirely against Karlach's character to actively seek servitude again, even as a Champion. Allying with a different evil to defeat Zariel toward the end of leaving Avernus? Very possible. Utilizing the House of Hope? Very possible. But there's simply no logic to saying that Karlach (and Tav by extension) should return to the slaver who she would rather die than return to service to. The reason she returns is to live /with Tav/ not because Avernus suddenly became the better option than death, but because Tav (And Wyll, who clearly states he'll protect her from Zariel) is with her.

Last edited by G4RIIK; 15/08/23 02:05 AM.
G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Takamori
As a Karlach enjoyer and after finishing the game I support OP and also there is the Nightsong, couldn't Selune extend her grace to Karlach? You can even mention this to Gale and he gets interested about it.

While its somewhat fantastical, Divine Intervention is an option that is /right there/ in the game that we don't really get to use narrative wise. Its unfortunate.

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Is the Romanced Karlach ending really that bad? I'm still on Act 2, but I
am romancing Karlach so she doesn't have to go to Avernus alone. It makes sense for my fireproof Zariel Tiefling Red Dragon Sorcerer.

Unfortunately the best option we have at the moment, you're on the right track!

apprentice
apprentice
I just read that Larian is preparing a patch 1 release. They say it’ll be big. I wonder if fleshing out the endings and Karlach’s in particular will be in there. Fingers crossed!

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Given the work that'll have to go into it (potential writing, voice acting, animations, art, etc), I think patience is somewhat in order, as nice as a quick resolution like that would be.

<...> What Karlach doesn't want to return to in Avernus is the loneliness. Devils make for poor company for someone who yearns true love and companionship, someone with the wants and desires of mortals. She wouldn't have been abused or tormented, her position in Avernus would have been concrete and comfortable for as long as she could perform in the Blood War, which was easy for her. She is terrified of going back to that unthathomable loneliness, but she wouldn't have that with Tav by her side, which is why her reluctance to go back with Tav is so confusing. <...>

Well, I would argue that in the long run after ten years it doesn't really matter if the reason she hated Avernus was the loneliness alone and if going back with Tav fixes that issue. That's still ten years of enough negative feelings and connotations to drown out (or at the very least clearly not being enough to outweigh) whatever was tolerable or even occasionally positive. You don't scream to high heavens and break everything and cry due to being free from a place, as well as adamantly refuse to go back and be willing to rather choose death (at least at first) unless the time there REALLY got under your skin. Even if the main reason it sucked so much is negated via Tav, the trauma doesn't go anywhere. It still sucked, and everything about will still remind you of the way it felt before. Then there's also the feeling that you finally tried to make a choice to leave on your own terms and in the end that choice was denied to you. Missing home and the world outside also never really goes away, I wager.

So while yes, it's good to remember that DnD's Hell and particularly Avernus is not a stereotypical pit of misery, I don't think Karlach's issues with it - and with going back there - are negated by the fact Tav's going with her and it may be better now. That sure helps, but that pent up years-in-the-making repulsion doesn't just go anywhere. Even if they are given good positions and conditions and stay together, going back at all is gotta sting.

(Not to mention that on behalf of the character narrative that would kind of feel... patronizing, I dunno? Like, 'See, it wasn't that bad here, happy to see that you finished having your little tantrum and returned where you belong'. Not the worst ending, sure, but frustrating nevertheless.)

Disclaimer: Still haven't finished the game, so I may be missing some dialogue that might indicate she's coming around, but going off of others' posts it doesn't seem like there's any lead up like that at all. Which just makes going back feel like defeat in the end, ultimately. 'I tried so hard and got so far but in the end it doesn't even matter' (c) type a thing. So yeah, best of the bad endings? Sure! But the best, period? That's cruel.

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
S
old hand
old hand
S
The more I think about it, the more I think Karlach whole character is flawed. You would think that somebody who was sold as a slave, horribly mutilated and sent in the most brutal war of the whole DnD universe for years against her will would end up as anything else than a naïve, upbeat and easy going person with the face to match. Meanwhile, Astarion, Shadowheart and Lae'zel have a character which feels like it matches their tragic background.

journeyman
journeyman
I didn't like Karlach's story at all, snapped off her head on my second run. The 'tough solider" act just isn't there, and feels forced. She is way too cheersome and sentimental for someone who fought the eternity in blood wars. She gives an impression of someone who just came home after exhausting town guard shift, or a sad tavern braggart, and not someone who been enslaved in hell by the devils for combat, imho

Last edited by Seventrussel; 15/08/23 10:04 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by snowram
The more I think about it, the more I think Karlach whole character is flawed. You would think that somebody who was sold as a slave, horribly mutilated and sent in the most brutal war of the whole DnD universe for years against her will would end up as anything else than a naïve, upbeat and easy going person with the face to match. Meanwhile, Astarion, Shadowheart and Lae'zel have a character which feels like it matches their tragic background.

Originally Posted by Seventrussel
I didn't like Karlach's story at all, snapped off her head on my second run. The 'tough solider" act just not there, and feels forced. She is way too cheersome and sentimental for someone who fought the eternity in blood wars. She gives an impression of someone who just came home after exhausting town guard shift, or a sad tavern braggart, and not someone who been enslaved in hell by the devils for combat, imho

I feel like that's why she's such an endearing character though, that in spite of of all her suffering she is so positive and trying to make the most of the time she has.

O
stranger
stranger
O
<...> What Karlach doesn't want to return to in Avernus is the loneliness. Devils make for poor company for someone who yearns true love and companionship, someone with the wants and desires of mortals. She wouldn't have been abused or tormented, her position in Avernus would have been concrete and comfortable for as long as she could perform in the Blood War, which was easy for her. She is terrified of going back to that unthathomable loneliness, but she wouldn't have that with Tav by her side, which is why her reluctance to go back with Tav is so confusing. <...>

Well, I would argue that in the long run after ten years it doesn't really matter if the reason she hated Avernus was the loneliness alone and if going back with Tav fixes that issue. That's still ten years of enough negative feelings and connotations to drown out (or at the very least clearly not being enough to outweigh) whatever was tolerable or even occasionally positive. You don't scream to high heavens and break everything and cry due to being free from a place, as well as adamantly refuse to go back and be willing to rather choose death (at least at first) unless the time there REALLY got under your skin. Even if the main reason it sucked so much is negated via Tav, the trauma doesn't go anywhere. It still sucked, and everything about will still remind you of the way it felt before. Then there's also the feeling that you finally tried to make a choice to leave on your own terms and in the end that choice was denied to you. Missing home and the world outside also never really goes away, I wager.

So while yes, it's good to remember that DnD's Hell and particularly Avernus is not a stereotypical pit of misery, I don't think Karlach's issues with it - and with going back there - are negated by the fact Tav's going with her and it may be better now. That sure helps, but that pent up years-in-the-making repulsion doesn't just go anywhere. Even if they are given good positions and conditions and stay together, going back at all is gotta sting.

(Not to mention that on behalf of the character narrative that would kind of feel... patronizing, I dunno? Like, 'See, it wasn't that bad here, happy to see that you finished having your little tantrum and returned where you belong'. Not the worst ending, sure, but frustrating nevertheless.)

Disclaimer: Still haven't finished the game, so I may be missing some dialogue that might indicate she's coming around, but going off of others' posts it doesn't seem like there's any lead up like that at all. Which just makes going back feel like defeat in the end, ultimately. 'I tried so hard and got so far but in the end it doesn't even matter' (c) type a thing. So yeah, best of the bad endings? Sure! But the best, period? That's cruel.

Yeah I get all of that and you're right, I'm not saying she should live in Avernus or return to Zariel if there are other options, just as a possible outcome and the only outcome we have right now in this miasma of despair that are her endings that could end with a positive resolution down the line. Tav and Karlach could plot against Zariel with another powerful Devil to overthrow her in return for Karlach's heart and freedom, defeat her themselves without ever entering servitude by playing the Game of Baatur with some of the powerful but imprisoned Devils in Avernus, which is exactly what happened in Descent. With how powerful we're becoming by the end of the game, Tav could even enter a pact with Asmodeus to go over Zariel's head. There's a billion possible resolutions to returning to Avernus that end with freedom back in Faerun, and by the Hells do I want to fight some Pit Fiends! Especially after their awful representation in BG1&2.

I really hope nobody thinks I want her to return to Zariel for eternity or some sh*t, I love the lore of Baatur and can see the potential in returning there with her, and it's one of the paths Larian could take that leads to the resolution she deserves. Could even enter an agreement/bargain with Withers to return her from the City of the Dead with true resurrection. Something. Especially after Gale
has an almost identical story with higher stakes that he escapes from

Last edited by Omaeka; 15/08/23 01:29 PM.
I really hope nobody thinks I want her to return to Zariel for eternity or some sh*t

Nah, not at all, I was just saying that I understand why she'd be hesitant to go back even together with Tav. I love the idea of an epic Hell heist by the way, my Tav is stubborn and reckless as they come, she'd be 100% down for it laugh

You would think that somebody who was sold as a slave, horribly mutilated and sent in the most brutal war of the whole DnD universe for years against her will would end up as anything else than a naïve, upbeat and easy going person with the face to match. Meanwhile, Astarion, Shadowheart and Lae'zel have a character which feels like it matches their tragic background.

She is way too cheersome and sentimental for someone who fought the eternity in blood wars.

Hey now, everyone copes with hard past differently. For some it's through positive attitude and refusing to think about the trauma and confront it (either 'cause it's too painful or because they don't see the point). Maybe if I don't look at it, it'll go away (aka "Can we not talk about my engine exploding please and thank you"). Also known as the "If I stop clinging to positivity for one second I will lose it" people. That's how I approach life (sans being the Blood War soldier, but y'know, in general), I can tell you that much.

Besides, you said it yourself, we already have examples of more serious/gloomy/hard approaches to tragedy in our party.
Lae'zel for soldier brainwashing, Wyll for war hero, Gale for exploding heart problems and Astarion for barely-escaped slave trauma

Why not have some variety? There's its own tragedy in loving life despite it trying to break you (as evident by the majority of emotional responses in this thread alone, not to mention wider playerbase)

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
O
stranger
stranger
O
I really hope nobody thinks I want her to return to Zariel for eternity or some sh*t

Nah, not at all, I was just saying that I understand why she'd be hesitant to go back even together with Tav. I love the idea of an epic Hell heist by the way, my Tav is stubborn and reckless as they come, she'd be 100% down for it laugh

You would think that somebody who was sold as a slave, horribly mutilated and sent in the most brutal war of the whole DnD universe for years against her will would end up as anything else than a naïve, upbeat and easy going person with the face to match. Meanwhile, Astarion, Shadowheart and Lae'zel have a character which feels like it matches their tragic background.

She is way too cheersome and sentimental for someone who fought the eternity in blood wars.

Hey now, everyone copes with hard past differently. For some it's through positive attitude and refusing to think about the trauma and confront it (either 'cause it's too painful or because they don't see the point). Maybe if I don't look at it, it'll go away (aka "Can we not talk about my engine exploding please and thank you"). Also known as the "If I stop clinging to positivity for one second I will lose it" people. That's how I approach life (sans being the Blood War soldier, but y'know, in general), I can tell you that much.

Besides, you said it yourself, we already have examples of more serious/gloomy/hard approaches to tragedy in our party.
Lae'zel for soldier brainwashing, Wyll for war hero, Gale for exploding heart problems and Astarion for barely-escaped slave trauma

Why not have some variety? There's its own tragedy in loving life despite it trying to break you (as evident by the majority of emotional responses in this thread alone, not to mention wider playerbase)

Yeah I can understand why she's hesitant too, but that damn smile she has when Wyll offers vs her look of pure agony when Tav offers is horrible, what in the Nine Hells was Larian thinking lol

Hell heist would be epic!

Also good job addressing those two posts, I wanted to but had no idea how to do it in a mature manner

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline

100% Agreed.

While I can certainly entertain Doomslaying, a front against Zariel/the Hells and fighting through them. I see no way to justify being in Avernus for any purpose other than to find a permanent solution and way out, using the House of Hope as a half-way refuge type deal. It'd require a super satisfying piece of writing to make an expansion on the Avernus ending as good as/better than simply using the tools available during Act 3 of the game (The Gondians) to create a holistic, and well written positive ending for Karlach that completely nullifies the need to, for lack of better words, "return to sender". I don't doubt that Larian is capable of performing either, if not both of those feats, given their positive history.

#JusticeForKarlach

Last edited by G4RIIK; 15/08/23 03:03 PM.
G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline

This as well, I think we've got a game with such "something for everyone" quality, and with something that feels missing, rather than completed in a way, it'd really just shine the whole game up. Bad endings are ok, as long as they feel that they have their place, and were deserved by the players' overall actions. That's why there ARE multiple endings for characters, but Karlach is a lesson in just tugging the chain out of reach during all of Act 3.

journeyman
journeyman
Step 1: Be in Act 3, learn from the Steel Watcher that Karlach's heart is an early version of theirs.
Step 5: Compassionate because you saved his daughter, he builds a final heart with Dammon for Karlach.

3/5 of these are already ingame and provide a much more satisfying ending than returning to Zariel's service, which is something Karlach clearly doesn't want to do. She wants to live, on the material plane, and the pieces are right there.
This is actually EXACTLY what I was thinking as well, outside of just having Gale with Mystra's help/the crown magic her up a new heart. This even neatly ties it all together in a gameplay sense by making her happy ending very annoying to get, since you'll need to go to the Iron Throne and rescue everyone (which is also what makes Wyll's happy ending with his father if you break the pact very annoying to get as well). You don't just hand the happy ending to the player on a silver platter, but you do make it actually possible and it MAKES SENSE.

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by ToLazy4Name

This is actually EXACTLY what I was thinking as well, outside of just having Gale with Mystra's help/the crown magic her up a new heart. This even neatly ties it all together in a gameplay sense by making her happy ending very annoying to get, since you'll need to go to the Iron Throne and rescue everyone (which is also what makes Wyll's happy ending with his father if you break the pact very annoying to get as well). You don't just hand the happy ending to the player on a silver platter, but you do make it actually possible and it MAKES SENSE.

Exactly. While there are 10s of solutions present, the fact that there's such a clean one that fits into the arc already is the stinger.

C
C
I personally didn't like Karlach story overall , bland story, and just not hitting the mark with the character writing..like other companion stories did.. I feel she is too nice and goofy for someone that killed thousands of devils in the Blood War.. During the gameplay I hoped we would visit Avernus or Elturel since it has a huge demonic presence and progress her story there. Larian decided no. Maybe a DLC is cooking, I hope Larian does this, would be great

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by crst
I personally didn't like Karlach story overall , bland story, and just not hitting the mark with the character writing..like other companion stories did.. I feel she is too nice and goofy for someone that killed thousands of devils in the Blood War.. During the gameplay I hoped we would visit Avernus or Elturel since it has a huge demonic presence and progress her story there. Larian decided no. Maybe a DLC is cooking, I hope Larian does this, would be great

While her personality is bubbly, its clear that she's coping with the trauma in her own way (especially when she breaks down). Karlach is filled with hope, and is simply glad to be "alive" once again, free of Avernus and Zariel's service. Someone who had a life stolen from them being happy, upbeat but also brutal in combat ("Fuck yeah!" when it comes to smashing skulls), is kind of as good as it gets when it comes tot his kinda character, especially with how excellently Samantha delivered the voice acting. Its what makes it all the more painful that Larian overlooked the solution to her issue, its right there, everything you hoped for, and its not even accessible.

Here's to hoping for expansions and/or a Definitive Edition.

#JusticeForKarlach

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Noticed more people asking for the discord feedback thread so I'll pop some of the links down below:

Discord Justice For Karlach Thread

Reddit Addressing Karlach Thread

Page 11 of 156 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 155 156

Link Copied to Clipboard