Just to follow up from the similar thread that was redirected to this one, I beg, plead and will offer all my unborn children to never follow this game up with an MMO.

MMO mechanics are not compatible with DnD rules. We already have one that I mention a lot - Dungeons and Dragons online. I enjoy the game and have maybe sank 5000+ hours into it, but so many and all the regular MMO problems are present:

1) With the game being so old, its basically dead now. There are too few players to find groups, and even fewer players capable of 'end game' content.

2) With relation to 1, you cannot enjoy the game solo. It is designed for party sizes 6 and 12 for quests / raids.

3) In line with MMO mechanics, spell slots are replaced with a mana bar, no matter if they want to call it 'spell points'. While most of the spells are well balanced and equally viable, the content is also made for that, you will run out of blue bar. A lot. Then you are useless until you reach a rest shrine.

4) MMO player mentality, initially 'OMG HJEAL ME, USELESS CLERIC /BLACKLISTED FOR CRAP HEALING. Then Clerics and FVS players united to 'I'm not a healer then, bring your own heals' And only heal themselves and uno reverso 'You're a crap player because you died'. Also the usual 'Play how I tell you, not how you want or /blacklisted.

5) Oh look, shiny new content with more powercreep and stronger gear, but you need the gear to do the content, and can't get the gear without doing the content, and groups won't let you join the quest / raid that drops the gear you need because you don't already have it.

6) Somehow, magically, you get into the group for the gear you need. 1/100 or worse drop chance, but OMG IT DROPPED, LOOK ITS IN THE CHEST, PLEASE I NEED IT! ... 'Roll d100 for gear'. I roll a 1. The player on a class that doesn't need it wins and is like 'Yay, I can pass it to my alt who I very rarely play'.

I enjoy the game for its character building and DnD related content. The worst part is needing to play with others. The only arguably an MMO that has ever addressed this was Guild Wars 1, where eventually and only due to immense community pressure, they eventually allowed you to use a fully custom AI party. And then no one ever played with anyone else ever again, so like what even is the point?

Given the choice, players will choose to play solo, or with a fully customised group to their choosing. In every MMO, 99% of players will only complain that other players are not playing how they want them to. MMOs are trash.

Oh theres a neverwinter MMO, I played it for a bit and gave up because it was the typical Pay to Win type, also one of the classes is 'Control Mage'. Oh cool, finally an enchantment spell class? Nope, Ice Evocation with freeze and slow stuff for 'Control'. Lolwut, hard pass.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 16/08/23 01:29 PM.