Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
H
In D&D the See Invisibility spell lets you do exactly what it says; it lets you see invisible creatures as if they were visible.

But in Baldur's Gate 3 it doesn't seem to work that way; it only seems to let you roll to maybe detect them, so it can be a total waste of a spell slot or elixir to use it. I've found it far easier to find invisible creatures by simply throwing around area effects, e.g- bombs.

It's especially annoying because there are particular enemies like Baal cultists and hags that make heavy use of invisibility, and the one thing that's supposed to help you cope with it, doesn't. So it's far easier to become invisible than it is to counteract it? You might say "so just go invisible too then" but that doesn't work, because enemies with invisibility don't seem to have any limits on how long they stay invisible, or how often they can return to being invisible.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I haven't used it extensively so maybe I just didn't notice the rolls involved but the fact that it lasts until a long rest more than makes it not a waste of a spell slot.

H
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
H
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
I haven't used it extensively so maybe I just didn't notice the rolls involved but the fact that it lasts until a long rest more than makes it not a waste of a spell slot.
If I needed it so I could see invisible enemies, and I didn't see those invisible enemies, then it was wasted. There's no benefit to a long duration if the spell is massively nerfed to the point of uselessness, as being able to maybe see something invisible eventually isn't going to be much comfort to you in Act 3 =P

Last edited by Haravikk; 17/08/23 12:19 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Haravikk
If I needed it so I could see invisible enemies, and I didn't see those invisible enemies, then it was wasted. There's no benefit to a long duration if the spell is massively nerfed to the point of uselessness, as being able to maybe see something invisible eventually isn't going to be much comfort to you in Act 3 =P

Not useless when you can see invisible enemies... which I can. So not sure what to tell you.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I think OP is arguing is that it should guarantee that you see invisible enemies instead of letting them make a save DC

H
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
H
Not useless when you can see invisible enemies... which I can. So not sure what to tell you.
Then the RNG was clearly in your favour, but that's not how See Invisibility is supposed to work. I burned an elixir of see invisibility on a character with expertise in perception at 11th-level and saw nothing, I had to have my party light the whole room up with fireballs and alchemist's fire to find anything, so that was even more resources wasted. And even then I somehow missed one who remained hidden after combat ended and then killed an NPC.

RNG is simply not how See Invisibility works in D&D 5e, it's literally called "See Invisibility" not "Maybe See Something Invisible Eventually if You're Lucky But That's Okay Because it Lasts Beyond the Fight Where You Needed it". I don't know why Larian decided they had to nerf it for no reason, along with a bunch of other spells they've nerfed for no reason like Hypnotic Pattern (which was already massively nerfed due to it being stupidly easy to snap people out of it with bonus action shove, yet they decide it should only last two rounds instead of 10? WTF?)

Last edited by Haravikk; 17/08/23 09:06 AM.
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
I am also really disappointed with it. I have Volo's eye but it does not seem very reliable. I got to that fight in Act III that I assume the rest of you were referring to and it was absolutely awful. Not only did Tav fail to see most of the time even if he does spot one it just goes invisible in the next 2 turns again. I didn't want to fireball the place, that seemed rather immersion breaking for me (because you're in the house and I wouldn't want to set the whole house on fire). Not only that but the enemies took forever to act. So I would wait 5 minutes for them to run around, Tav would fail his checks, and my character would have nothing to hit and nothing to do. I see you guys talk about the elixir and I saw online that a see invisibility elixir can be made with a Nothic Eye but I have no idea where to get that.

That is a really frustrating fight and not well balanced at all. And the see invisibility ability/spell is poorly described and not well balanced either.

W
apprentice
apprentice
W
Then the RNG was clearly in your favour, but that's not how See Invisibility is supposed to work. I burned an elixir of see invisibility on a character with expertise in perception at 11th-level and saw nothing, I had to have my party light the whole room up with fireballs and alchemist's fire to find anything, so that was even more resources wasted. And even then I somehow missed one who remained hidden after combat ended and then killed an NPC.

There are enemies in the game that go invisible and cannot be hit with AoE spells/attacks, when invisible. It's really annoying. I've never played tabletop DnD, so I don't know if that is supposed to even be possible, but for some reason in BG3, it very apparently is.

old hand
old hand
and the one thing that's supposed to help you cope with it, doesn't.

Wrong.

https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Faerie+Fire

Unfortunately no Glitterdust in BG3.

Originally Posted by WereCatf

There are enemies in the game that go invisible and cannot be hit with AoE spells/attacks, when invisible. It's really annoying. I've never played tabletop DnD, so I don't know if that is supposed to even be possible, but for some reason in BG3, it very apparently is.

Also wrong:

(6:05)

The only thing that doesn't work on invisible enemies is melee attacks. Ranged and AoE both work, either the invisible mobs were somewhere else, or it wasn't invisibility but something like blink.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 28/08/23 04:26 AM.
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
and the one thing that's supposed to help you cope with it, doesn't.

Wrong.

https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Faerie+Fire

Unfortunately no Glitterdust in BG3.

Originally Posted by WereCatf

Also wrong:

(6:05)

The only thing that doesn't work on invisible enemies is melee attacks. Ranged and AoE both work, either the invisible mobs were somewhere else, or it wasn't invisibility but something like blink.

Yes, they were invisible and no, no AoE worked. Also, yes, I knew exactly where they were. Do notice that I didn't say all enemies in the game are like this.

Last edited by WereCatf; 28/08/23 04:31 AM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
Don't know if it is related but I just had three fights with wraiths and shadows and one of them kept going running in, hitting then going invisible. Neither Faerie Fire or See Invisibility did anything. For some reason (WIS?) Shadowheart was the only one who made a save which made her able to spot the thing.
This was in Act 2 - around the Mason's Guild and the building before that. It wasn't life-threatening it just made the simple fights drag out far longer than needed.

I've used See Invisibility on the hag before and it worked though I'm not sure it was this playthrough.

M
M
I think Shadows have a weird implementation of Shadow Stealth in the game. They shouldn't be able to disappear as effectively as they go in the game. But you want to use light sources here, Daylight does wonders. But even normal light suffices in a pinch.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
There's some poltergeists in act 3 that is permanently invisible. See Invisibility allowed them a dex save. It's a rubbish implementation imho, hate that place.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Came in to say this but it also extends to the Bhaalite cultists who turn invisible as well. For whatever reason, despite the fact that my Tav has an always-on See Invisible, even walking by them doesn't reveal them. I don't know why Larian implemented it this way, but it's a real feel-bad moment when I do everything I can to participate in stated counterplay that then doesn't work, despite the description of either spell stating that it allows for a Dex save to keep from being seen.

addict
addict
What really stinks is it's a dex save iirc, and most enemies have stupid dexterity.

Link Copied to Clipboard