Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Half-Illithid Cosmetics and Shadowheart's Hair...

Basic idea is still pretty simple, PCs should have the option to save out an appearance in-game, and then have this function the same way we can switch between "Camp" or "Armored" appearance on the fly. Basically another look we can wear on top of our avatars current load out.

I think this should be gated in the following way, that we can save our look for equipment only provided that it's still in our inventory somewhere, but otherwise anything we like that we have, we should be able to rock that look. For things which are cosmetic to the character, all the appearance features we choose in Char creation, this should be available to use at camp. Respecing by class and such is convenient, but the look of the avatar is just as important I feel, and it's frustrating that we have to relaunch to change stuff there. Especially for choices which are more incidental since they're harder to preview and you don't fully see what you're getting until you're in-game.

For Hair, Makeup and unarmored appearance (regular clothing/undergarments) we should have complete control over that at any point from the Character sheet and our available options.

For Races, Faces, Body Phenotypes and Voice, I think a narrative device with Withers or Volo would be nice, via the magic mirror conceit or something similar. Here we should be able to change our skin color, the horns or tails and such too as if we were back in char creation. I think we need a full spread with that sort of UI for it, rather than a mask of many faces sort of item.

I would divide it up actually with Withers doing the more mechanical stuff (like class/abilities) and his dark mirror doing the appearance stuff, so launching into either of those screens, the same ones we get in Char creation.

For appearance changes outside our control that are part of the plot, I think when this happens we should be given an ability called something like "visage" or "persona" or just "mask" where the PCs can hide the signs of their transformation, again mostly as a narrative conceit. Perhaps this could be similar to how dirty face works? Like the longer you go without resting the harder it is to hide the veins around the eyes and such, but a splash of water sets you right. I don't know, but some way to dial it down or have some control there. I think it should get a toggle on/off for cutscenes similar to how helmets works currently.

The portrait needs to match too I think, like for Shadowheart's portrait, if going that path on the campaign.

I think a portrait suite would pair well with an outfit/starting equipment suite that could just be folded into the Char creator before the prologue is launched, with similar menus accessed again via the camp for stuff like unarmored appearance.

old hand
old hand
You can change class every minute but changing appearance breaks the RP? Wow.

I think we need the ability to change, and be it just to prevent Shadowheart from ruining her look.

S
Strudel Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by geala
You can change class every minute but changing appearance breaks the RP? Wow.

I think we need the ability to change, and be it just to prevent Shadowheart from ruining her look.

Of course we need the ability to change our appearance. They knew this from Divinity 2. It's not an RP-kind of issue since you can change Class freely (there's even the Shapeshifter Mask that changes your Race...).

They just released the game prematurely to avoid releasing along with Starfield. Honestly that's the only explanation I can give for the lack of a functional Trasmog system and the ability to Change your Hairstyle mid-game. They even had the NPC (Withers) to do it. Yet decided not to...

S
Strudel Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Strudel
Originally Posted by Rhogar
aight.... was definetly hoping this would come sooner... in that case imma just uninstall the game then. Pick it up again when/if I get bored of starfield.

Did the same. I can't refund it but I uninstalled the game until they address these issues. I thought I bought an RPG. Not an Early Access Action Adventure in 3rd Person. I am afraid by the time they address these issues, Starfield would have blown BG3 out of the picture for me.

Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
No point in counting days because community requested features won't be coming until Patch #2, so could be at minimum a month or more before there's any word about the possibility of it being implemented.

Forget it. It won't arrive in 1 month. They first need to release Patch 1 which will take several weeks, followed by whatever hotfixes it may require. AFTER that, they need to work on and release Patch 2. Best case scenario, expect it to arrive late October.

Uninstalled for now. Not being able to look how I want is a deal breaker. THis includes the trasmog option. I am sick of my druid looking like a Paladin Fighter... so immersion-breaking...

Surprisingly, Patch 1 is out faster than expected. We may get Patch 2 quicker indeed. Hoping it includes the option to alter our appearance mid-game.

veteran
veteran
Yup, looking forward to seeing what they'll implement laezelapprove

S
Strudel Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Rhogar
aight.... was definetly hoping this would come sooner... in that case imma just uninstall the game then. Pick it up again when/if I get bored of starfield.

Did the same. I can't refund it but I uninstalled the game until they address these issues. I thought I bought an RPG. Not an Early Access Action Adventure in 3rd Person. I am afraid by the time they address these issues, Starfield would have blown BG3 out of the picture for me.

Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
No point in counting days because community requested features won't be coming until Patch #2, so could be at minimum a month or more before there's any word about the possibility of it being implemented.

Forget it. It won't arrive in 1 month. They first need to release Patch 1 which will take several weeks, followed by whatever hotfixes it may require. AFTER that, they need to work on and release Patch 2. Best case scenario, expect it to arrive late October.

Uninstalled for now. Not being able to look how I want is a deal breaker. THis includes the trasmog option. I am sick of my druid looking like a Paladin Fighter... so immersion-breaking...

Surprisingly, Patch 1 is out faster than expected. We may get Patch 2 quicker indeed. Hoping it includes the option to alter our appearance mid-game.

Turns out I was right. Editing our appearance doesn't come in Patch 2. Basically they posted that they don't know when it's coming. Uninstalling this Early Access. Have fun!

addict
addict
This is why I spent minimum 1 hours before starting the game.

My tav looks stunning from act 1 to the end of the game.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Originally Posted by Veilburner
I can see changing minor things like hairstyle and things like that.

Otherwise totally changing your appearance should get a reaction of "who the **** are you?" Or "what happened to you?"

Well, the Disguise Self spell already creates that weirdness. People react as if you've always looked that way - and always been the race you're disguised as.

As to the core of the thread, being able to make changes would be nice - particularly for hair/makeup/tattoos - but I land on the side of "the game as released has MUCH bigger issues to work out".

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
As a minor point to add, I would RATHER see us able to customize and change the appearance of the "Disguise Self" templates rather than be able to change the PCs normal appearance.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dext. Paladin
This is why I spent minimum 1 hours before starting the game.

My tav looks stunning from act 1 to the end of the game.

So do I but that doesn't mean my character doesn't want to change his hair or beard once in a while. Also, sometimes I might want to add a scar later on due to in-game events or maybe there's a new mod that adds a face/hairstyle I'd prefer.
There are plenty of reasons to want to edit appearance later on in game.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard