Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
Online Shocked
old hand
Originally Posted by MarcHicks
You know, I look at some of the posts in this thread and I'm like: did you guys even PLAY the game?!?! Were you even paying any ATTENTION?!?! It all seemed pretty obvious to me. Ketheric and his wife were Selunites, and were raising Isobel-their daughter-as a Selunite as well. When his wife died, Ketheric turned to Shar in despair (all of which you learn from last year's trailer).....and I suspect either he or another Sharran was involved in Isobel's death, due to her being a Selunite Cleric (remember that killing a Selunite is the final step in becoming a Dark Justiciar). her death certainly wasn't natural-even by Faerun standards-as she mentions to you how there was nothing but darkness upon her death, instead of her going to the Upper Planes upon her death. Ketheric resurrected Isobel after he turned to Myrkhul, and almost certainly after he'd Soul Chained Dame Aylin in return for immortality & invulnerability. I don't doubt that Shar had been wanting Aylin's death for 100 years, and Shadowheart was the first Sharran in all that time that was in the right place to actually do the deed.

No, none of it is connected to BG1 or BG2, which are entirely dedicated to the Bhaalspawn and their machinations, but the story is VERY Forgotten Realms and VERY D&D.

Why did you need to turn to Myrkul and become an evil tyrant, if you can just buy a scroll of resurrection from a merchant

Thanks to Larian for Baldurs Gate 3 and the reaction to player feedback
enthusiast
enthusiast
Sometimes the dramatic thing feels right. Also probably no, otherwise you get into why do any of the battles matter won't the bad guys friends just a scroll. If he, the commander of both Selune and later Shars forces couldn't find a cleric to raise then her presumably the body or soul were damaged in a way, the window was missed between death and body being discovered or etc to make resurrection impossible.
It takes less time to think up a solution than to think up how it's a problem

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Oh, I see, you're going for the "I'm not homophobic but....." trope. Nice try, Homophobe, but I don't buy it. I suspect you're going entirely off what your fellow homophobes have written on 4Chan, rather than experiencing the whole story for yourself. Maybe stick to Call of Duty from now on, as I think that's more in your IQ range.
I wish you would address the actual complaints in my post instead of personal attacks. This is the norm for the forum: you address people’s specific points instead of accusing them of being trolls who haven’t played the game. But if you are more interested in lashing out at the phantasms of your own mind, I see no reason to stop you.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=883587#Post883587

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I would assume she is a Deva:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Deva

Being a Deva of Selune, I suspect Shar expected Ketheric to kill her, as a "loyal" Sharran. But instead he got Balthazar to Soul Chain her in order to grant him immortality. I suspect at this point he was already a chosen of Myrkhul, probably due to the death of his daughter (which is ironic given it was the death of his wife, a Selunite, that turned him to Shar in the first place). A lot of the information regarding all of this stuff can be found if you search moonrise towers thoroughly enough.
Except if you actually read the material, Ketheric only turns to Myrkul AFTER he is sealed. Which means long after turning Aylin to the Shadowfell. Which earns after the soul chain.

And Aylin is called an Aasimar, not a Deva.

old hand
Online Shocked
old hand
I think this game lacks the opportunity for a lesbian threesome with Dame Aylin, Isabelle, and the main character

Thanks to Larian for Baldurs Gate 3 and the reaction to player feedback
F
addict
addict
F
Back n the day, Aasimar were opposites to Tiefling, but lore of the latter has expanded to be pact passed down generations, leaving the former as quasi-planar beings.

That, is where Kethrick's concern for his daughter lay. Fairly justified if you ask me. It's not a mere union between ethnicities, there's a huge age and ego difference.

Put bluntly, Dame Aylin comes across heavily as a machoman. I dare say if she was introduced as male, some of her post victory behaviour would be judged harshly. But Isobel is a grown woman so whatever.

In the game,
I was pleased with the good-guy development after going through Shar's gauntlet. The deux ex machina angel through the sky felt earnt. But when she got captured again, I groaned, she felt like a borderline liability.

Anyway, after a fight against the avatar I groaned again at her comments. Talk about being on the nose. My character had an active romance then and no such dialogue choice for obvious reasons, it sounds both crude and stupid.

Later on, Aylin has a good scene in Act 3, more borderline behaviour actually. If anything that helped rehabilitate her character, she's a divine dominant traumatized after 100 years. I can understand that.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by FreeTheSlaves
Back n the day, Aasimar were opposites to Tiefling, but lore of the latter has expanded to be pact passed down generations, leaving the former as quasi-planar beings.

That, is where Kethrick's concern for his daughter lay. Fairly justified if you ask me. It's not a mere union between ethnicities, there's a huge age and ego difference.

Put bluntly, Dame Aylin comes across heavily as a machoman. I dare say if she was introduced as male, some of her post victory behaviour would be judged harshly. But Isobel is a grown woman so whatever.

In the game,
I was pleased with the good-guy development after going through Shar's gauntlet. The deux ex machina angel through the sky felt earnt. But when she got captured again, I groaned, she felt like a borderline liability.

Anyway, after a fight against the avatar I groaned again at her comments. Talk about being on the nose. My character had an active romance then and no such dialogue choice for obvious reasons, it sounds both crude and stupid.

Later on, Aylin has a good scene in Act 3, more borderline behaviour actually. If anything that helped rehabilitate her character, she's a divine dominant traumatized after 100 years. I can understand that.
I have not finished Act 3, so I am open to the idea that her character may undergo further development that contextualises prior moments better.

I am still unsatisfied with the lack of narrative buildup to her and Isobel in Act 2.

stranger
stranger
Act 2 is all original lore that Larian wrote for what happened between Bg2/Bg3 for the area!

As for Aylin herself -

While Aylin describes herself as an aasimar, she's a very specific type of aasimar, which is confusing if you only know of aasimars as the celestial equivalent of tieflings. By her own description, she would be a deva: she's an immortal, angelic soul that is able to be "reborn" again and again after she dies. There is several different types of aasimar/devas and it gets complicated since there is several different varieties, but the names are often used interchangeably.

There are:
mortal aasimar (planetouched origins, the equivalent of tieflings, usually of human ancestry)
Aasimari Devas (immortal angelic souls in a mortal humanoid form)
and "angelic devas" - celestial angels and servants of the Gods, usually separated into three different orders.

I am not sure if current lore really differentiates Aasimari devas and angelic devas anymore, though - the difference between them is... somewhat minimal and it gets confusing when they have virtually identical names.

If you ask Aylin if she is literally the daughter of a god, she says that she was "ripped from Selune's celestial womb" - quoted roughly from memory - and considering devas can be the servants of Gods, it makes sense that the Gods may create devas themselves. Usually aasimari devas are suppose to lose their memories when they reincarnate and they don't always have the same appearance, but Aylin might be a special case as narratively it wouldn't work quite as well if she didn't even remember who she was, or if Isobel hadn't recognized her. Fun fact: Aylin is a Turkish girl's name, and it means "of the moon." smile

For Act 2, a lot of Ketheric's background is buried in journals and letters:

Act 2 spoilers: Ketheric, his wife Melodia, and Isobel were all devoted Selunites. Isobel meets Aylin and they fall in love, and Ketheric was disapproving of the relationship: Aylin is an immortal by virtue of being an angel, and there is the added unequal power dynamic that she is the child of their god. Something happens which causes Melodia to die; Ketheric stays strong for Isobel. Isobel later mysteriously dies; Ketheric is consumed by grief and despair, and as he is unable to resurrect his daughter, he forsakes Selune and is claimed by Shar.

This appears to be roughly when Ketheric fools Aylin and binds her in the Shadowfell, to be used for the ritualistic ascension of Shar's Dark Judiciars: they are able to kill not just an ordinary Selunite, but one of Selune's prized daughters/servants again and again. Presumably, Aylin may have been involved in Isobel's death in some way (thus getting Ketheric's likely unjustified ire?), but we get no confirmation on this. Ketheric's sights on Aylin may have been due to his fall to Shar alone; Ketheric mentions that Shar was unable to take away his pain, so he may have gone to far greater extreme's to get a reprieve that never came.

The battle between the Sharrans and the Druid's Grove, Jaheira, etc. take place sometime after and Ketheric died. At some unknown point, Ketheric is claimed by Myrkul and is resurrected. Myrkul also brings back Isobel, something that Ketheric was prevented from doing previously. I forget who said this, maybe it was Jaheira, but they comment on how he changes his allegiances quite a bit.

You can tell Ketheric that Melodia would be disappointed to see everything he's done, and that it "isn't too late." Ketheric disagrees, and depending on the dialogue choices, may willingly fall into the pit to his first death without combat.

Act 2 is primarily content for Shadowheart, honestly, but the rest of her storyline plays out in Act 3. Honestly I suspected that
she was going to be Isobel's sister or something, especially since they're both high half-elves and one belonging to Selune and one to Shar would have been interesting
but that wasn't how it ended up playing out.

I thought the reunion between Aylin and Isobel was cute.

As for the resurrection itself:

There is many different rules and limits when it comes to resurrection magic. Ketheric was a paladin, so the extent of his magic is going to be lower than a cleric, but spells like raise dead (one that he can get) require:
1) person to not be dead for more than 10 days,
2) doesn't remove magical diseases and curses,
3) closes all mortal wounds but does not restore missing body parts; if it is missing something integral for survival, the spell fails.

Depending on the circumstances of her death, a spell like wish or true resurrection may have been the only ways to bring her back. Resurrection (7th level) may have been able to bring her back if it wasn't a magical curse/disease of some kind, but it is not a spell he would be able to cast himself, and finding people able to cast higher levels of magic would be quite difficult.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
There are:
mortal aasimar (planetouched origins, the equivalent of tieflings, usually of human ancestry)
and "angelic devas" - celestial angels and servants of the Gods, usually separated into three different orders.

I am not sure if current lore really differentiates Aasimari devas and angelic devas anymore, though - the difference between them is... somewhat minimal and it gets confusing when they have virtually identical names.

Thank you, this clarifies my confusion over the aasimar thing. It makes more sense for Aylin to be a kind of celestial "daughter"/servant of Selune rather than a part-mortal like a Bhaalspawn, IMO.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Epona
Act 2 is all original lore that Larian wrote for what happened between Bg2/Bg3 for the area!

As for Aylin herself -

While Aylin describes herself as an aasimar, she's a very specific type of aasimar, which is confusing if you only know of aasimars as the celestial equivalent of tieflings. By her own description, she would be a deva: she's an immortal, angelic soul that is able to be "reborn" again and again after she dies. There is several different types of aasimar/devas and it gets complicated since there is several different varieties, but the names are often used interchangeably.

There are:

If you ask Aylin if she is literally the daughter of a god, she says that she was "ripped from Selune's celestial womb" - quoted roughly from memory - and considering devas can be the servants of Gods, it makes sense that the Gods may create devas themselves. Usually aasimari devas are suppose to lose their memories when they reincarnate and they don't always have the same appearance, but Aylin might be a special case as narratively it wouldn't work quite as well if she didn't even remember who she was, or if Isobel hadn't recognized her. Fun fact: Aylin is a Turkish girl's name, and it means "of the moon." smile

Act 2 spoilers: Ketheric, his wife Melodia, and Isobel were all devoted Selunites. Isobel meets Aylin and they fall in love, and Ketheric was disapproving of the relationship: Aylin is an immortal by virtue of being an angel, and there is the added unequal power dynamic that she is the child of their god. Something happens which causes Melodia to die; Ketheric stays strong for Isobel. Isobel later mysteriously dies; Ketheric is consumed by grief and despair, and as he is unable to resurrect his daughter, he forsakes Selune and is claimed by Shar.

This appears to be roughly when Ketheric fools Aylin and binds her in the Shadowfell, to be used for the ritualistic ascension of Shar's Dark Judiciars: they are able to kill not just an ordinary Selunite, but one of Selune's prized daughters/servants again and again. Presumably, Aylin may have been involved in Isobel's death in some way (thus getting Ketheric's likely unjustified ire?), but we get no confirmation on this. Ketheric's sights on Aylin may have been due to his fall to Shar alone; Ketheric mentions that Shar was unable to take away his pain, so he may have gone to far greater extreme's to get a reprieve that never came.

The battle between the Sharrans and the Druid's Grove, Jaheira, etc. take place sometime after and Ketheric died. At some unknown point, Ketheric is claimed by Myrkul and is resurrected. Myrkul also brings back Isobel, something that Ketheric was prevented from doing previously. I forget who said this, maybe it was Jaheira, but they comment on how he changes his allegiances quite a bit.

You can tell Ketheric that Melodia would be disappointed to see everything he's done, and that it "isn't too late." Ketheric disagrees, and depending on the dialogue choices, may willingly fall into the pit to his first death without combat.

Act 2 is primarily content for Shadowheart, honestly, but the rest of her storyline plays out in Act 3. Honestly I suspected that
she was going to be Isobel's sister or something, especially since they're both high half-elves and one belonging to Selune and one to Shar would have been interesting
but that wasn't how it ended up playing out.

I thought the reunion between Aylin and Isobel was cute.

As for the resurrection itself:

There is many different rules and limits when it comes to resurrection magic. Ketheric was a paladin, so the extent of his magic is going to be lower than a cleric, but spells like raise dead (one that he can get) require:
1) person to not be dead for more than 10 days,
2) doesn't remove magical diseases and curses,
3) closes all mortal wounds but does not restore missing body parts; if it is missing something integral for survival, the spell fails.

Depending on the circumstances of her death, a spell like wish or true resurrection may have been the only ways to bring her back. Resurrection (7th level) may have been able to bring her back if it wasn't a magical curse/disease of some kind, but it is not a spell he would be able to cast himself, and finding people able to cast higher levels of magic would be quite difficult.
This post resolved about half of my concerns. Thank you.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Epona
There are:

Interesting - seems the division between Devas is a 4e thing that I didn't know about, thanks!

With true resurrection the soul has to be willing to return and the return not opposed by the god who claimed the soul. (Auntie Ethel's threat to kill you and raise you and kill you again is an empty one - you can't be forced to return to life)

One of the reasons Isobel has had her memories erased might be that she refused to return when either Selune or Shar called her back to life. Why hould she return to a father that rejected her lover? Or because she returned like Buffy the Vampire Slayer did - back to life but not happy about it because she was evicted from paradise.

And, what I think is most likely: Isobel is not actually alive. The darkness she refers to in her diary might mean that she's undead. Which would make sense since it was Myrkul that brought her back and Balthazar was involved in some way.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
OKAY SO NEW INFORMATION:

There's probably a way to get a straight answer here on a lot of the information. Apparently you can cast speak with dead on the corpses of the major bosses. Can someone cast "Speak with Dead" on Ketheric and see if the plot holes regarding Isobel, Aylin, Ketheric, and Balthazar are filled in? Specifically regarding Isobel (and maybe Aylin's) selective memory, and the timeline of the Soul Cage?

veteran
veteran
I'll try asking Balthazar's corpse if he's willing to talk.

But I do know if you let Balthazar know you read his diary he says he designed the soul cage and it represents the pinacle of his powers. One of Kethric's notes says that Balthazar has said Myrkul has can bring back Isobel.

But I am hoping the spell works - I wanted more of J.K. Simmons' voice.

(although devs - as much as I like this voice actor he looks nothing like an elf. In fact, if you wanted an example of "not at all like an elf" you would choose Simmons. You should have made Kethric a human)

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I'll try asking Balthazar's corpse if he's willing to talk.

But I do know if you let Balthazar know you read his diary he says he designed the soul cage and it represents the pinacle of his powers. One of Kethric's notes says that Balthazar has said Myrkul has can bring back Isobel.

But I am hoping the spell works - I wanted more of J.K. Simmons' voice.

(although devs - as much as I like this voice actor he looks nothing like an elf. In fact, if you wanted an example of "not at all like an elf" you would choose Simmons. You should have made Kethric a human)
It still doesn't make sense if the Soul Cage post-dates Ketheric's turn to Shar. That presupposes that Aylin spent 100 years twiddling her thumbs in the Shadowfell, not being tortured by being Ketheric's source of immortality (and thus the point of redirect for his wounds), and that Shar was cool with her apparent ex-Selunite puppet leaving her for Myrkul and sending his chief architect (and Myrkulite) to the Shadowfell, her domain, to Soul Cage Aylin while still leaving the most vulnerable part of his plan within the realm of the very god he abandoned.

I've decided there is one way the plot works perfectly. If you accept that stupidity is a congenital trait in the Thorm family, it explains:
-The Sharran Temple under a Selunite Village
-The mini-bosses in the town being dumb
-Ketheric's behavior and decision-making
-Isobel's selective memory and decision-making

Or maybe the Shadow-Curse also causes brain damage regardless of whether or not you are immune.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 20/08/23 11:02 PM.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I'm more interested in where Ketheric's dog went.

veteran
veteran
I don't remember Ketheric or Balthazaar's corpses having anything to say. I haven't tried Isobel or Aylin's corpses though. There's also a book in the Grymforge that says Ketheric was telling his followers he was as important as Shar in there church, it's possible he had already abandonded her prior to his defeat. Balthazaar could be a follower of Myrkul who worked for a Sharran. I'm tempted to dig up my old saves from the Grymforge and chapter two just to get to the bottom of this.

Has anyone who took the Absolute path found anything that might shed light on the situation? I'm pretty sure there's a route where Isobel is captured by Ketheric, that seems like it would have some good insights.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The cows in Grymforger have some good goss about Ketheric's army of shar conquering the world and then stopping for some reason, but now there's rumours he's back

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I still think the game would be better served in a future Definitive Edition by giving Isobel more dialogue/quests to flesh out the events regarding herself, Balthazar, Ketheric, Aylin, and the Shadowfell. At this stage that would be my only ask.

M
M
I've had something on my brain since finding Nightsong in the Sharran temple -- what's up with Aradin and Halsin? Like, what's Aradin doing sniffing around the old temple in the goblin camp? Doesn't he know he's way off-course? I believe datamining suggested Nightsong was to be below that temple at some point, but who knows. As it is, had Aradin even gotten past that puzzle it would've been a complete dead end. But why does Halsin even go with Aradin? Why would he abandon his grove to wander into the goblin nest?

Well, it takes on an interesting wrinkle if we assume the 'Halsin killed Isobel' plot point was true. A brash bunch of adventurers come in, talking about how they're going to find the Nightsong. Halsin goes, oh, the Nightsong? Yeah, I know where there's an old temple, let's try looking there. Except Halsin would know, presumably, that they're way off-course and should be looking somewhere closer to Moonrise. Did he hope that Aradin and co. wouldn't make it back, and so preserve the fact he was instrumental in kicking off the shadow curse?

No idea, but fun to ponder.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Redrisco
Hi all!

So after finishing act 2 I was left with strong impression that Nightsong, Ketheric Thor, and basically all that shadow curse business are somehow tied to events of bg1 and/or bg2.
I have been thinking the same thing, except if they are from tabletop content. I played BG1&2, and those characters aren’t from the originals (aside
from their ties o the three. Bhaal was a central figure of BG1&2 albeit not a physical,presence
).

I suspect it is just poor storytelling, though. I wrapped up act2 yesterday, and frankly, I found it mostly disposable. I could see it greatly recut to act as finale to act1, and it would be better for it.

Last edited by Wormerine; 21/08/23 08:43 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard