Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Tis true, that with the company growing this enourmous layoffs might happen at some point or another. I can't be bothered to listen to the interview again, but my impression was that they want to work on multiple projects rather than pumping all into one mega game again. That's what they did before D:OS1 success. After pumping out two all company encompasing cRPGs after another, it might be a smart move to allow smaller teams to pursue more reasonably scaled projects for a bit.
This is the best take honestly. And it may well mean they will work on BOTH the next D&D game and DOS3 at the same time next. I would not mind this. But it would be soul crushing to me if they gave up on D&D to go back to just DOS3. I absolutely believe that if there is to be another DOS game it has to do better with the story and endings than DOS2. As long as they don't give up on D&D I am happy.

veteran
veteran
I hope they do some BG3 DLC!!!🤞🤞🤞

I never played the DOS games, but after loving BG3, I will look forward to any rpg with cinematic dialogue Larian makes!!!

From what people have written of DOS, I will love the per encounter combat design!💕 I won’t be so happy about the elves (I have seen people say they are ugly cannibals???), but I can always play a human.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn

I never played the DOS games, but after loving BG3, I will look forward to any rpg with cinematic dialogue Larian makes!!!

From what people have written of DOS, I will love the per encounter combat design!💕 I won’t be so happy about the elves (I have seen people say they are ugly cannibals???), but I can always play a human.
Well Swen said there are no plans for DLC so I'm guessing it will be similar to DOS2...some small bits may be added here and there and they might add some bits like subclasses or subraces through patches but I wouldn't expect anything major like an expansion with level cap increase and so on.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
...some small bits may be added here and there and they might add some bits like subclasses or subraces through patches but I wouldn't expect anything major like an expansion with level cap increase and so on.

Yeah, I can hardly see how they'd implement it. If it's width, so more sidequests or something, then suddenly they'd have to account for reactivity as well; get all the voice actors back in the saddle and so forth. That task would be just as costly as a full game; and no one's paying 60 bucks for an expansion that way.

If it's more akin to Throne of Bhaal, and goes more beyod the base game - then that problem arises again - but they also have to account for all the possible endings and origins... It'd be a nightmare.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
veteran
Well Swen said there are no plans for DLC so I'm guessing it will be similar to DOS2...some small bits may be added here and there and they might add some bits like subclasses or subraces through patches but I wouldn't expect anything major like an expansion with level cap increase and so on.
wyllcry

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Please no dos3. Unless game system gets total overhaul. I have not ever seen more unintresting rule system.

I can not play their games if continue use it.

Absolute best solution for me would be utilize this d&d system and engine for one more game at least

Last edited by Cirrus550; 29/07/23 12:06 PM.

We are all heroes, you and Boo and I! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
F
addict
addict
F
I quite liked the DOS games, but the setting was rubbish. I would rather see something a bit different. My preference would be a space opera science fiction CRPG without the baggage of an existing IP. I would be okay with DOS3: This Time... IN SPACE!.

Last edited by FrostyFardragon; 29/07/23 12:14 PM.
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
The prospect of a DOS3 does not excite me. I have both DOS games and finished neither, which is unusual. And as the reasons involve both certain game systems and the world's lore, I do not think a DOS 3 will be of interest to me.

No biggie though. If BG3 turns out to be really good, I'll stick with it for a while and then there's also Starfield. And hopefully, Avowed - Eora ist the most interesting setting currently used in video game development, as far as I know them.

As for Larian, if they choose to make a sequel to the Dragon Knight Saga I'll prick up my ears. The lore would still be ballast rather than boon, but I liked how that game played, and its story (uh...well....not the original ending of Ego Draconis...but that....does not exist).

Last edited by Ieldra2; 29/07/23 12:19 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Completely new and original setting please. Not fantasy, not cyberpunk, not space, not steampunk, not post apocalyptic, not medieval, not Renaissance, not ancient.

Send the writing team to Amsterdam to do copious amounts of psychedelics and amphetamines and give each of them a pen and pad and see what happens. Make it a team building exercise.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
old hand
old hand
Please don't advertise drug tourism in Amsterdam. It ruins our capital. Everything you can get in Amsterdam, you can get in Gent, anyway.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 29/07/23 12:36 PM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Cirrus550
Please no dos3. Unless game system gets total overhaul. I have not ever seen more unintresting rule system.

I can not play their games if continue use it.

Absolute best solution for me would be utilize this d&d system and engine for one more game at least
Going back from BG3 to another game with randomized itemization, massive stat bloat and the hideous armor system would be quite the downgrade.
And that’s without going into how little I care for Rivellon (or whatever is exactly called).
Then again as far as settings go I’ve never been particularly invested in the Forgotten Realms either.

But that aside, I frankly don’t even want to bother thinking about “what they’ll do next” because chances are it’s from 4 to 6 years away.
We’ll probably be better just enjoying BG3 as much as we can and then forgetting the studio exists for a while.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Please don't advertise drug tourism in Amsterdam. It ruins our capital. Everything you can get in Amsterdam, you can get in Gent, anyway.
I wasn’t really advertising, more just working on pre established reputation:
https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/...-netherlands-remains-drug-capital-europe

But sure here’s a revision:

Send the writing team to THE MAIN OFFICE to do copious amounts of psychedelics and amphetamines and give each of them a pen and pad and see what happens. Make it a team building exercise.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 29/07/23 12:46 PM.

old hand
old hand
This is all entirely off-topic, but.'Yes, I'm aware of the reputation. We have that reputation, because people think we're all drug-addled hippies overhere. We're not. There's a load of drugs every there because tourists come to buy it. Because of the reputation. We earned that reputation in the 90's because we were the first to introduce the non-enforcement laws that are everywhere now. Anyway.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
This is all entirely off-topic, but.'Yes, I'm aware of the reputation. We have that reputation, because people think we're all drug-addled hippies overhere. We're not. There's a load of drugs every there because tourists come to buy it. Because of the reputation. We earned that reputation in the 90's because we were the first to introduce the non-enforcement laws that are everywhere now. Anyway.
That’s fair enough.

SEND THE WRITING TEAM TO GHENT ON A CREATIVE PSYCHO STIMULANT DRUG BENDER WRITING EXCURSION.

F
addict
addict
F
But Amsterdam is prettier.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
It’s time to turn the 7-Man Cuck Squad into the 7-Man Crack Squad.

For the uninitiated: https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/941676162534772736?lang=en-GB

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

For the uninitiated: https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/941676162534772736?lang=en-GB

Err, I don't think the link really explains the context. Do I want to know, or is this better not broached here?

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by The Red Queen

Err, I don't think the link really explains the context. Do I want to know, or is this better not broached here?
It’s not a big deal. That’s one of the DOS2 writers twitters. I think he’s also working on BG3. An apparently disgruntled player on RPG Codex forums called the DOS2 writing team the “7 Man Cuck Squad” and it made its way to this particular writer, and he apparently found it amusing.

Edit:
For additional context, since the 2010s, “cuck” has been adopted as a pejorative by Gen Z and younger millennials, particularly more conservative minded folk, to refer to those men who they perceive as weak, emasculated, or “woke.”

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 29/07/23 01:36 PM.

old hand
old hand
Anyone know how much BG3 needs to continue to sell to be considered significantly profitable?

Nothing. According to Steamspy BG3 is in the 10 to 20 million owners range on steam alone, not counting PS5, GOG, or Xbox. The is 800 million dollars to well over a billion dollars range. BG3 is already massively profitable.

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 19/08/23 01:21 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Icelyn

More recently, he said they aren't ruling out an expansion, but high level play would be hard and they only want to do it if they can do something cool with it. So the door is still open to it, he clearly sees the demand for an expansion is there for it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard