Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I don't mind the fact that Durge kills the particular character, it's an intentional emotional gut punch that gives stakes to the internal conflict. However, it's not the story I want to play. Maybe I will do a Durge playthrough later, but I don't want to be forced into an edgelord playthrough. I would complain just as bitterly as the opposition currently is if every custom character was forced to be Durge, because I want to play a character that's my own creation in an RPG, and I don't think that's too much to ask. I am 100% fine with Tav having "less" content if it means I'm allowed to play the character I want to play.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Then you absolutely (no pun intended) cannot play as a good Dark Urge without some luck, so this whole idea that DU is just Tav+ is nonsense.
You are absolutely correct with this point, and the people trying to contradict you are only ending up contradicting themselves. To claim that DU can be played "good" is patently absurd. DU cannot be played good by any stretch of the imagination.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Miravlix
... a good dark urge, even if he fails EVERY SINGLE dice roll to stop himself. Failing DOES NOT MAKE YOU EVIL!
Wrong. Failing does exactly represent you being evil or doing something evil. The checks are merely a mechanical abstraction. What they represent, pass or fail, is your character's actual thoughts/words/actions.

"Good Dark Urge" is the ultimate oxymoron in BG3. Good Dark Urge simply does not exist.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by kanisatha
... a good dark urge, even if he fails EVERY SINGLE dice roll to stop himself. Failing DOES NOT MAKE YOU EVIL!
Wrong. Failing does exactly represent you being evil or doing something evil. The checks are merely a mechanical abstraction. What they represent, pass or fail, is your character's actual thoughts/words/actions.

"Good Dark Urge" is the ultimate oxymoron in BG3. Good Dark Urge simply does not exist.

I think the best you can hope for with durge is really just a tragic villain that doesn't want to be the bad guy but patently can't control themselves. I love the turmoil and depth this creates beyond twirly mustache evil, but it is certainly a character with a pre-existing story just like the others. Attaching your own head-canon is bound to backfire on any of the origins.

Last edited by The Frosthaven; 23/08/23 06:42 PM.

Justice For Karlach.
veteran
veteran

Agreed with the rolling point completely. If I give in a eat that extra slice of pizza, I'm essentially rolling, failing doesn't absolve me of the consequences in any sense, it means that I CHOSE to do one thing instead of another thing.
The Dark Urge failing that wisdom save and murdering someone is absolutely who they are. The player might not have chosen that decision, but the character itself did.

Now, if they allowed DU to avoid anything nasty every time without having to roll for it, then yes, you could have a good DU imo, but as it is, no way. Calling it Tav+ is objectively wrong. It would have to have everything Tav has, with additions. What it actually does is force you down a very specific path, removing player agency while doing it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Then you absolutely (no pun intended) cannot play as a good Dark Urge without some luck, so this whole idea that DU is just Tav+ is nonsense.
You are absolutely correct with this point, and the people trying to contradict you are only ending up contradicting themselves. To claim that DU can be played "good" is patently absurd. DU cannot be played good by any stretch of the imagination.
Yes, good is a stretch with Durge. The best is a redemption arc, but the wisdom roles are representing their urged, so they have to fight against themselves to not commit a murder. Not really good guy/gal behaviour.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Originally Posted by Timoleth
This is, I thing, why in their statistics Larian included Durge into the Mustom Character percentage, but not the Origin ones. Thes are pretty strongly set up, while Dirge, despite their fixed backstory, can be played in most any ways, as they suffer from amnesia and their past personality is lost, freeing up the player to create a new one for them.
No. Without going into spoilers the backstory of who the Dark Urge was and what he was doing before the game is filled in pretty well...there really isn't much room for you to make up stuff about. There will even be characters who you encounter that recognize the Dark Urge and know who he was even if he can't remember it...some will be happy to tell you, while others will not. make no mistake here, while you can customize the race, class, etc. of the Dark Urge he is an established character in this world. But on that same note, imagined backgrounds are utterly meaningless and worthless in RPGs. If the game doesn't acknowledge it then it doesn't exist...it is MUCH better to have a character with a very strong and very good established backstory but whose future you have the freedom to shape, and this is what the Dark Urge is.

I am sorry, I don’t see how does that stop the Dark Urge being very much a custom character if, as I explained earlier, we consider the custom character a blank slate in it’s current state, regardless of having a strong back story or not.
When you play Durge many of the choices you can pick are specific for them, but it is you roleplaying them is what decides if , for example, they are proud of the murder they did, they are in denial or if they are freaking out. Will they tell it to the others or will they try to hide their tracks? Etc. Despite Dark Urge being very much predefined, I still think they can be played as a very much custom character. It is a bit similar to KOTOR 1, really, where you have a specific backstory, you do meet people who knew you, etc, but the whole game is about you forming your own story.

I am, however, absolutely agreeing with everyone else saying that the Dark Irge have lesser control of the story than Tav due to the unavoidable actions and wisdom checks, and that they cannot be Tav+.
Which kind of leads me back to my opening post… Tav (not Dark Urge) feels flat next to the Origin characters, as if they weren’t the hero of the story but the sidekick. If the story was about Dark Urge only, a lot of people wouldn’t have liked it (me included), but Dark Urge is a more complex and interesting character than Tav and Tav basically is pushed to the sideline in every situation possible, when there is an Origin Character there to steal the scene.

The thing is, I might be old fashioned, but I thought the player is supposed to be the hero of the story they play? Or is that just me?

Last edited by Timoleth; 23/08/23 08:27 PM.
stranger
stranger
... I am, however, absolutely agreeing with everyone else saying that the Dark Irge have lesser control of the story than Tav due to the unavoidable actions and wisdom checks, and that they cannot be Tav+.
Which kind of leads me back to my opening post… Tav (not Dark Urge) feels flat next to the Origin characters, as if they weren’t the hero of the story but the sidekick. If the story was about Dark Urge only, a lot of people wouldn’t have liked it (me included), but Dark Urge is a more complex and interesting character than Tav and Tav basically is pushed to the sideline in every situation possible, when there is an Origin Character there to steal the scene.

The thing is, I might be old fashioned, but I thought the player is supposed to be the hero of the story they play? Or is that just me?

I think I do agree with this take. I don't want to run into main character syndrome in game necessarily (ala final fantasy 14 where you are constantly showered with praise and adoration), but the game could certainly take steps to be more inclusive of Tav (or even player-played origins to a lesser extent). It isn't the worst example out there by any stretch, but your point does stand on solid ground as you often feel the observer watching other character's stories unfold because there is so much more weight to their evolution.

Last edited by The Frosthaven; 23/08/23 08:48 PM.

Justice For Karlach.
veteran
veteran
I agree with @Timoleth on the Dark Urge. I would try playing it but only once the obligatory murders are removed.

I'd play it like Battlestar Galactica - at some point some of the wake up and realize that they cylons but, because their enemy wiped their memory, they are different people and now side with the humans.

"It's in the fracking ship!"

Or the Nameless One who was an evil person in (one of many) a previous life but ends the game as Lawful Good. (which is the only alignment that makes since the chaotic forces are represented as idiots)

"by following the teachings of Zerthimon I have grown stronger"

T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Ah, yes, and just in case anyone cares, let me tell you, after several meltdowns I actually convinced myself and continued the custom githyanki story all the way to the Sharess’ Caress where

after my custom gith signed a contract with Raphael and potentially sold his soul for the githyanki freedom fight, Voss thanked it happily by giving his silver sword to… no, not gith Tav, but Lae’zel.

Like, Larian dear? What. The. Actual. F***?!! =_=

So, this kid of describes the custom character vs origin character situation in my opinion. Also, poor gith Tav is now deleted…

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
This is a high magic setting, where I can mind rape people and that is what happen with the dark urges, it's OUTSIDE magical influence by a freaking god forcing your to do bad things.

The DU does come with a good ending.

Ah, yes, and just in case anyone cares, let me tell you, after several meltdowns I actually convinced myself and continued the custom githyanki story all the way to the Sharess’ Caress where

after my custom gith signed a contract with Raphael and potentially sold his soul for the githyanki freedom fight, Voss thanked it happily by giving his silver sword to… no, not gith Tav, but Lae’zel.

Like, Larian dear? What. The. Actual. F***?!! =_=

So, this kid of describes the custom character vs origin character situation in my opinion. Also, poor gith Tav is now deleted…
Yeah, Larian learned pretty much nothing from OS2 it seems. Once again custom character is one you play fully once and never touch again because everything else is just much better and you are actively gimping yourself by playing it.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard