Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Originally Posted by Timoleth
This is, I thing, why in their statistics Larian included Durge into the Mustom Character percentage, but not the Origin ones. Thes are pretty strongly set up, while Dirge, despite their fixed backstory, can be played in most any ways, as they suffer from amnesia and their past personality is lost, freeing up the player to create a new one for them.
No. Without going into spoilers the backstory of who the Dark Urge was and what he was doing before the game is filled in pretty well...there really isn't much room for you to make up stuff about. There will even be characters who you encounter that recognize the Dark Urge and know who he was even if he can't remember it...some will be happy to tell you, while others will not. make no mistake here, while you can customize the race, class, etc. of the Dark Urge he is an established character in this world. But on that same note, imagined backgrounds are utterly meaningless and worthless in RPGs. If the game doesn't acknowledge it then it doesn't exist...it is MUCH better to have a character with a very strong and very good established backstory but whose future you have the freedom to shape, and this is what the Dark Urge is.

I am sorry, I don’t see how does that stop the Dark Urge being very much a custom character if, as I explained earlier, we consider the custom character a blank slate in it’s current state, regardless of having a strong back story or not.
When you play Durge many of the choices you can pick are specific for them, but it is you roleplaying them is what decides if , for example, they are proud of the murder they did, they are in denial or if they are freaking out. Will they tell it to the others or will they try to hide their tracks? Etc. Despite Dark Urge being very much predefined, I still think they can be played as a very much custom character. It is a bit similar to KOTOR 1, really, where you have a specific backstory, you do meet people who knew you, etc, but the whole game is about you forming your own story.

I am, however, absolutely agreeing with everyone else saying that the Dark Irge have lesser control of the story than Tav due to the unavoidable actions and wisdom checks, and that they cannot be Tav+.
Which kind of leads me back to my opening post… Tav (not Dark Urge) feels flat next to the Origin characters, as if they weren’t the hero of the story but the sidekick. If the story was about Dark Urge only, a lot of people wouldn’t have liked it (me included), but Dark Urge is a more complex and interesting character than Tav and Tav basically is pushed to the sideline in every situation possible, when there is an Origin Character there to steal the scene.

The thing is, I might be old fashioned, but I thought the player is supposed to be the hero of the story they play? Or is that just me?

Last edited by Timoleth; 23/08/23 08:27 PM.