Originally Posted by beargor

[quote]

And then of course, if you side with Orpheus, he just decides to side with the elder brain for ~reasons~, which will lead him to becoming a thrall again.

[...]

-Orpheus is somehow able to turn himself into a mind flayer in the ending even though he is not infected (Larian REALLY wanted someone to turn. This is SO forced. It's not even clear why they need to be a mind flayer. Orpheus is said to be an insanely powerful psionicist, capable of blocking out elder brain communication, but for some reason needs to turn into an illithid?)

[...]

-Orpheus says we should have let his honor guard kill us and then they would have freed him and he would have dealt with the elder brain. He has been trapped in the prism with his honor guard, long before the emperor showed up. Why would they be able to free him now? Also, why is the emperor able to free him without the orphic hammer? My understanding is that the emperor put up the 2 force shields (the one around the giant skull and the smaller one around him), but he has infernal binds from when he was betrayed by Vlaakith I. His honor guard has been stuck in the prism with him and hasn't been able to free him from the infernal binds.

[...]

These three plotholes really hurt the narrative coherence of the game's ending in a major way. The behavior of the Emperor is soooo f***ing weird, it makes no sense. What Orpheus says about his honor guard was obvioulsy written by someone who has NO clue about the the order of events and the circumstances of Orpheus's imprisonment. Most likely the result of a hasty rewrite:

1. Vlaakith I. imprisoned Orpheus and his honor guard after returning from Hell without Gith (I believe over 1.000 years before the events of BG3).
2. Somehow the Emperor ends up in the Astral Prism with Orpheus some time right before the events of BG3.
3. Only then the player arrives and battles the honor guard to protect the Emperor.
4. Later, just before the final battle, the player is sent to the Astral prism again where they can free Orpheus if they brought the Orphic Hammer.

So it makes no sense for Orpheus to claim that his honor guard could have freed him at any time. The person writing this line was probably confused and thought it was the current Lich-Queen-Vlaakith who imprisoned just Orpheus a short time ago and NOW his honor guard have come to free him (and for some reason they don't need the Orphic Hammer).

And then after Orpheus is free, how can he just decide to turn into a Mindflayer? It makes no sense. He does not have a tadpole as far as I know.

Last edited by SiriusVI; 24/08/23 11:24 AM.