Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 157 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 156 157
G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Gambit001
I 100% agree, I don’t generally spoil myself, but I planned on romancing Karlach from the beginning when I get my PS5 version in a couple weeks. Seeing all of this and
how there’s no way to truly have a good ending with her (Returning to Avernus in any way is not a good ending imo)
has seriously put a damper on my desire to go through with the whole thing, so I do hope that Larian can implement, and soon, an update that adds some additional options, of which many great ones have already been mentioned in this thread.

I can only hope that after the PS release (and Xbox release, and likely a break for some if not all the devs), given the new cut content datamines, we'll see impact with the patches in the future, and hopefully a Definitive Edition release in the distance.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 22/08/23 10:11 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Folks PLEASE remember your spoiler tags. You may be disappointed in the ending for Karlach but others still deserve the right to discover it for themselves if they wish.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
U
enthusiast
enthusiast
U
There are many spells availabe in base 5e that could easily fix karlach... Reincarnate would give her an entirely new body, many ressurection spells would replace lost parts.

I recommend implementing these choices, with explanations for why they wouldnt work.

Chief amongst these explanations, is that if she dies in a way that destroys her body... her infernal machinery in her, should turn her into a soul coin. Thus rendering her unable to be ressurected by traditional means.

Thus creating a completely different story "how to bring someone back from being a soul coin" for Karlach.

Just a thought.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Another of the dozens of voices that have signed up specifically for this. Apologies if I'm just repeating what was already said but, the point of this thread is to voice concerns and frustrations in a, hopefully, positive manner to enact a positive change. Spoilers below for BG3 and The Mass Effect Series. So, here goes!

This is going to be a bit of a ramble so bear with me, please.
This entire game provided an experience I didn’t know I needed until I got my hands on it. The last time I was this enthralled by a game and the story it provided was all the way back during the run of Mass Effect 1-3. Nothing was ever perfect, but it provided a beautiful story that pulled me in and kept me hooked, right up until the end.
Though, much like Mass Effect, what burned me on the experience was the end of the game. I understand that it’s not the end that matters most, but the journey itself. But, if the journey leads to an unsatisfactory end, why would I undertake it again?
I completed my first playthrough the other day, reloading and saving, desperately trying to find a piece of the puzzle I may have missed for Karlachs’ storyline, only to come up short each time. After beating the game, I reloaded my save and took to the internet to try to find what I could not. Learning that there was *nothing* I could do, despite the answers and solutions being right before me destroyed my desire to play again.
I’m a boring kinda person, I tend to romance the same character and make similar decisions on my playthroughs, because I enjoy that sort of stuff so why not go through it again, you know? But, knowing that I can’t do anything would be akin to playing through the entire Mass Effect trilogy knowing that no matter what I do, despite the chances and opportunities being present in universe, I could not prevent Tali from dying, prevent Garrus from dying.
The game is amazing, and I really did enjoy myself. Larian, you did amazing work in creating something that made me care about the characters you created. I just hope that something can be done to remove the shadow created by the end(s) for my favorite character. I don’t think anyone here is asking for a fairytale happy ending, but the opportunity to fix her heart and have what I’d consider to be a ‘good’ ending. The Steel Watchers, The Gondians, even the Ironhand Gnomes, I feel something could be done if we put in the work. As it stands now, it feels my agency as Tav is taken away, unable to pursue the options before me. Let me put in the work, let me help Karlach. Worst comes to worst? Fanfic it away that Karlach and my Tav wind up working at Mahadi’s Wandering Emporium in Avernus, right?

Thanks for reading, appreciate your time. Whoever you are!

#JusticeForKarlach

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Aksonius
Another of the dozens of voices that have signed up specifically for this. Apologies if I'm just repeating what was already said but, the point of this thread is to voice concerns and frustrations in a, hopefully, positive manner to enact a positive change. Spoilers below for BG3 and The Mass Effect Series. So, here goes!

This is going to be a bit of a ramble so bear with me, please.
This entire game provided an experience I didn’t know I needed until I got my hands on it. The last time I was this enthralled by a game and the story it provided was all the way back during the run of Mass Effect 1-3. Nothing was ever perfect, but it provided a beautiful story that pulled me in and kept me hooked, right up until the end.
Though, much like Mass Effect, what burned me on the experience was the end of the game. I understand that it’s not the end that matters most, but the journey itself. But, if the journey leads to an unsatisfactory end, why would I undertake it again?
I completed my first playthrough the other day, reloading and saving, desperately trying to find a piece of the puzzle I may have missed for Karlachs’ storyline, only to come up short each time. After beating the game, I reloaded my save and took to the internet to try to find what I could not. Learning that there was *nothing* I could do, despite the answers and solutions being right before me destroyed my desire to play again.
I’m a boring kinda person, I tend to romance the same character and make similar decisions on my playthroughs, because I enjoy that sort of stuff so why not go through it again, you know? But, knowing that I can’t do anything would be akin to playing through the entire Mass Effect trilogy knowing that no matter what I do, despite the chances and opportunities being present in universe, I could not prevent Tali from dying, prevent Garrus from dying.
The game is amazing, and I really did enjoy myself. Larian, you did amazing work in creating something that made me care about the characters you created. I just hope that something can be done to remove the shadow created by the end(s) for my favorite character. I don’t think anyone here is asking for a fairytale happy ending, but the opportunity to fix her heart and have what I’d consider to be a ‘good’ ending. The Steel Watchers, The Gondians, even the Ironhand Gnomes, I feel something could be done if we put in the work. As it stands now, it feels my agency as Tav is taken away, unable to pursue the options before me. Let me put in the work, let me help Karlach. Worst comes to worst? Fanfic it away that Karlach and my Tav wind up working at Mahadi’s Wandering Emporium in Avernus, right?

Thanks for reading, appreciate your time. Whoever you are!

#JusticeForKarlach

Yeah, the pieces were really left on the table. With these datamines coming out now, we can only hope it means Larian will pick up said pieces and clip them together over the future of patches and potentially a definitive release.

K
stranger
stranger
K
I am here in support of all of you, I hoped a thread like this existed and came to the forums specifically to search for it.

This game very quickly became one of my favourites, I've got a obscene amount of hours in it already considering when I bought it. However Karlach man, jeez, what a sweetheart.

Her monologue about things being unfair and loneliness after your final interaction with Gortash just f*cking toppled me man, the performance was just stellar. This made me google if you can "actually save her" and the fact that the answer it no just took the wind out of my sails, it makes me not want to see the end. I might save Baldurs Gate, even the Sword coast, but my fiery positive adorable Tiefling is doomed? No thanks.

Please tell me Larian is going to address this, or at least acknowledge this isn't the only set of endings.

#JusticeForKarlach

Also has it been addressed
that it is actually a bug if you complete Wyll's companion quests AND have romanced Karlach, that you all can't go to Avernus? Because Wyll 'overrides' you and then only Karlach and Wyll can go?

Last edited by Kasan; 23/08/23 11:39 AM.
G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Appreciate all the support and words of kindness and wisdom from you all!

As the moderator said (even I've slipped up a few times due to the thread going so long!) please be weary of spoiler tags, edit previous posts if you're able to and have the time.

All of your voices make up the giant community that we've become, and everyone here is amazing for the tenacity and dedication, as well as their continued politeness and respect for Larian's work and time.

#JusticeForKarlach

stranger
stranger
Just chiming in to show support.
I love a good tragedy
, but in this case the game's writing just seems to take a wild turn out of nowhere and forget where it's at.

Last edited by The Frosthaven; 23/08/23 01:38 PM.

Justice For Karlach.
R
Rae Offline
R
Hi all.

Nothing mode to add. Just hoping, that future patches will add deleted content to the game and fix my and Karlachs hearts.

I finished the game two days ago with good character and romance with Karlach.
I helped Wyll to be the blade of avernus and collaborate with the emperor. After final scene on the pier I hade tears in my eyes the whole evening. Only Wyll could took Karlach to avernus, so no options to go with me instead is obviously wrong and make no sence at all. I expected the whole game, that I will be able to fix the engine and visited the smithy after each main quest or Karlachs quest completion and nothing. After finishing Karlachs questline I expected another one and nothing. Then I expected some way to visit avernus, kill Zariel and fix things somehow there and nothing again. I saved everybody in the foundry, had infernal ores and nothing. So literally I'm not able to start the game again until there will be better option how to save Karlach.
Fortunately datamined files gives me hope, that this will be patched or in definitive edition. Thanks Larian for the best Rpg of the decade and for me one on my top 3 all times (BG2 and Divine Divinity), but Karlachs fate just killing me.

stranger
stranger
Registering as many before me just to add my voice to this in hopes Larian might be moved to do something about Karlach's storyline because like everyone here I too love the game to bits and almost played it trough in the first 10 days, clocking over 100 hours but then... I found out what Karlach's endings are and now I can't bring myself to finish it.

I have maybe a few hours of game left, the grand finale so to speak, but knowing that there is nothing I can do for the character I love the most... I just can't. And while I love drama and tragedy as much as the next drama... uh... simp, this ain't it. Just no. It grinds my gears to no end that I can
save Wyll's dad after he signed over his soul to hell, undoing literally any consequences for this man's personal arc and making it all good and daisy, and that Gale can just disobey a goddess with zero consequences but there is NOTHING I can do for my sweet girl who just wants to live so badly? Who is so relieved to finally be home? Let's be honest, I would have paid any price for this. In the first Act Raphael says something about how you will come crawling to him when all hope dies and by the tail end of Act III, I was ready to come crawling. I would have given him the crown and watched the Sword Coast burn in a heartbeat if the game would just let me. I think my biggest reason to stab him to death in the House of Hope wasn't even because it was the right thing to do, it was just the fact that he didn't offer me the one and only thing I wanted. Somehow the game made me go through the worst possible version of his point: it let me hope for all of Act II that I will surely fix it in Act III to just let me run around and try, to follow up on all the leads, while my hope is murdered by a thousand cuts. Except, there is no soul to sell at the end, nothing else to do. Would have loved all this incredible angst if it didn't end the sad and bleak way it apparently does. It just feels cruel. Not like the great tragedy it is supposed to be, but like the claws Raphael promised finally coming down on my head.

Like everyone else I love my Tav a lot, she really grew on me over those 100+ hours and this end... She tried so hard to be good, to save everyone and this is what she gets? It hurts too much. I mean I know it's silly to be this upset about an RPG character, but they do grow on you over the hundreds of hours you spend with them, and it just feels extra bad when you came all this way for a hollow victory. I mean sure, it's a story too that you didn't win the only battle you cared about and everyone celebrates you a hero while you are just dead inside but this is just not the way I want it to end for MY character and the fact that there is no way I can change this feels like all my choices are the fluff on the road to ruin. A way to make myself feel worse by achieving literally everything else but not this. Not the one and only thing that matters most to me. I love all the other characters and the city too and I want to be the hero, but this ending will not leave my character as one and it makes me so sad, I can't finish the game.

(Sorry for the long rant, I have very many feelings about this and nobody I can tell them too without spoilers.)

Justice For Karlach
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Rae
... Fortunately datamined files gives me hope, that this will be patched or in definitive edition. Thanks Larian for the best Rpg of the decade and for me one on my top 3 all times (BG2 and Divine Divinity), but Karlachs fate just killing me.

I'm trying not to get my hopium too high, although the content being as far along as it was makes it a little more promising than a few file names dumped much earlier.

If nothing comes of it, maybe modding tools will be far enough along by then to engineer the broken story pieces together. She'll get the proper send off one way or another - of that much I'm confident.

Justice For Karlach.
stranger
stranger
You'd think they'll add something after seeing the reactions to her ending. I have faith in Larian.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Hey, dont know if this has been suggested yet, but why can't we just
leave her on the astral plane? Time doesn't work there, so she should be fine. Right? Right? And the door is right there, at the beginning of act 3

Last edited by Redrisco; 23/08/23 11:52 PM.
G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by KazeAndi
You'd think they'll add something after seeing the reactions to her ending. I have faith in Larian.

For sure, they've got a good track record for fixing mistakes like this, look at Fane!

enthusiast
enthusiast
One thing would be that if you killed raphael you could easily have her bide that time in the house of hope until you find a fix or even live there with her etc.

R
Rae Offline
R
I really do hope for the fix of final part of her storyline with really good ending. Obviously there are ways how you can solve her overheating issue, save her and stay with her if you have romance. Game has 17000 endings, but good ending is not possible for Karlach? Why if this is D&D where you should decide what will happen and have possibilities to do that. I think the main issue was lack of time before release.

stranger
stranger
I went through an extra turbulent mess of registering on this forum ( had to go through Support just to get an account to work here ) just to be able to post here and lend my support.

Karlach deserves a happy ending!

I don't care about, or am at all interested in, any sort of "tragic" or "bittersweet" ending here. There's enough terrible things in the world, this is a fantasy, it's a game I play to take a break from all of the real world crap. I want a happy ending with Karlach on the material plane. Without it, it's hard to continue playing the game, harder to even finish it, because every time Karlach is there with a terrible fate awaiting her.

So Please let us change her fate, even if it requires a long quest, a hard boss fight, whatever it takes, Karlach deserves better.

#JusticeForKarlach

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Maybe this is beating a dead horse at this point but the more I think about this, the more frustrating her storying ending is.

The most frustrating part of how it played out is that despite telling her at least 50 times that we will "Find a way to fix you", despite the constant hope-baiting with the Gordians, House of Hope, Dammon, the Enriched Infernal Iron, the NPC interactions like her friend inviting her to dinner after it's all over, or Minsc just straight up saying "Soon she will be cured!", even Karlach at one point says "We'll save the city, than save me!"...

Despite all of that we don't even make a SINGLE effort in Act 3 to actually try and fix her. What did we do? We blew up the Steel Watch foundry, killed Gortash and then... Her quest completes? I'm sorry? Is this supposed to be a satisfying ending?

We built up to have SUCH a great conclusion to her story. All the suffering, tears, anger and hopelessness was leading up to potentially the best companion ending in the game and it get ripped out from under us for no logical reason what-so-ever. We did absolutely nothing to help her, threw up our hands and said "Welp blow up or go to hell lmao".

Her gut-wrenching speech after Gortash is just insulting when you know the outcome. This isn't a well written tragedy, it's poorly written cruelty.

I don't GET it. Her character and story was like a 12/10 leading up to Act 3 and then it just CRATERS in the last few hours of the game.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Caios
I don't care about, or am at all interested in, any sort of "tragic" or "bittersweet" ending here. There's enough terrible things in the world, this is a fantasy, it's a game I play to take a break from all of the real world crap. I want a happy ending with Karlach on the material plane.
#JusticeForKarlach
I feel the exact same way about tragic endings in video games/movies/anime…etc. I absolutely hate tragic endings. I invest my time into these various media to escape the terrible things in reality. If I wanted to immerse myself in tragedy, I’d watch the news.

F
addict
addict
F
Seems like that this was NOT intended, quite frankly.

Besides that: #JusticeForKarlach

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
Page 15 of 157 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 156 157

Link Copied to Clipboard