Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 157 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 156 157
apprentice
apprentice
(Sorry for my English, i try with all my might)
As many i`m here to help and add my voice for Karlach.
And my voice here not only for more complex and better questline, my voice is specifically for Good Ending and only for it. I understand why some people don’t mind tragic endings if they get at least the good storyline behind it, but… Be honest, I just can’t deal with it.
Here in RPG game that suppose give us a chose - we end with bad end no matter what, without a choice. It and that this tragic happens with more positive and kind character in all entire game is really unfair.
I`m know life is unfair and not all games supposed to be about miracles and sunshine, but this is DND, a world where everything is possible, world exactly about miracles. And this is a Baldurs Gate 3, game where you can befriend with the Gods, make deal with Devils, saving the entire world. In this game you just can’t fix simple engine in tiefling-cyborg chest? Or change it, or resurrect her, or give her a new body… Anything!
- We save a walking talking "nuclear bomb" that was cursed by one of the most powerful magic that even Goddess can’t just cure!
- We deal contract with Devil that even our heroic soul is seen as insect!
- We cure big forest from the evil ancient curse!
- We kill Chosen of the Dead Three!
- We save the daughter of the Moon Goddess!
And many more.
With all of this impossible thing we can do and did its still impossible fix some old hell junk engine… Why? I don’t understand.
Because there must be at least one full tragic character among our team? Then why its Karlach? Chose a Gale will be more easy and justifiably option (even if I’m still don’t like an idea have 100% tragic companion at all). With Gale situation tragic end at least make sence, where Karlach situation is easy to find a way out. But one has a Deus ex good ending and another… you know, no Deus ex, no gods, nothing.
This is because she is most kind among all companions? Because she is most innocent? Maybe because Larian doesn’t have a time enough for making a more endings for her because they run on time? I`m can only make guesses.
But here is my voice. For Good Ending. Not just for more questline or character work.
Honestly, before I saw the ending I’m really wanted to play this game again, but… now I`m just can`t. I`m can’t watch her ending again with though that I`m can’t make her happy. Suppose I will wait until there is be at least some good Karlach ending maybe from official patches, maybe from mods… It’s still a good game, but I’m in love with Karlach too much to see how she’s suffered, especially where there so many in game options to save here, and especially where there walking-talking around Gale, that get the rescue from the skies!

Justice for Karlach!
F
F
^This. I fully understand the intentions, the drama and the tragedy are good and should be present in a good game. But it also should be justified.
If we neglected Karlach - ok, so be it, only bad endings should be possible. But if we input real efforts - in SUCH world to be unable to fix some engine? Doesn't seem justified at all. There should at least be an option to sell your soul to the devil for it, it's a bare minimum. While going to Hell together doesn't seem too bad in general, but it is unacceptable for Karlach, so can't be considered a real solution. Temporally - yes, till the real solution is found, but the problem is - there is no real solution or even glimpse of it in the future.
Turning her to illithid is not an option either, even if she still considers it better than hell.

Last edited by Faust-RSI; 28/08/23 07:25 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Gale has an ending that completely undermines any attempts at tragedy that Larian were aiming for with Karlach and the player character (if that player character wasn't an Origin character).

In my first play-through, I roleplayed my character as a cheeky Bard with a heart of gold who fell head-over-heels for Karlach. And I took every decision that I felt a truly good character would have made.

I saved the Tieflings.
I converted Shadowheart and prevented her from killing the Nightsong.
I convinced Astarion to kill Cazador, yet not go through with the ascension, thereby sparing 7,007 lives. Which meant as soon as the parasite disappeared, he lost his immunity to the sun, and had to retreat to the shadows.
I freed Orpheus, thereby freeing the Gith from their tyrannical lich queen. Lae'Zel, probably the character my bard bonded with the least, got pretty much her best ending, flying off on her shiny new red dragon with new boyfriend Orpheus.
As the Emperor would no longer play ball, someone had to become a Mindflayer to cast the final spell, so I took one for the team becoming a rubbery Cthulhu-cosplay reject. Oh, and I still don't get why the Emperor joins the Elder Brain in the final battle, despite you proving he's been played like a fiddle and that Orpheus is the best option for everyone.

And because Karlach said many, many times over that she didn't want to go back to hell, didn't want to become a Mindflayer and would rather blow up, and that she wanted me with her until the very end, I honoured her wishes.
So my ending, despite me doing what I thought was the best for everyone, was a real bummer.

I kind of accepted it, thinking "ah well, it's brave to show how even if you do the best by everyone, you can end up sacrificing everything".

And then I discovered that if Gale as the player character
becomes the Mindflayer then hands over the crown to Mystra, *POOF!*, she turns him human again.

And that made me very angry.

Why didn't I have the option of getting:
Gale to go full-Illithid instead of my character who had been fighting against it for her entire playthrough?
If Mystra can do that for Gale, why the hell can't she save Karlach (or any other character for that matter), by either magicking her back after she becomes a Mindflayer, or by simply magicking her engine away and replacing it with a heart?

I get what Larian were going for, but Gale's special circumstances undermine every other character's story and choices.

Last edited by Mungrul; 29/08/23 01:23 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Mungrul
And then I discovered that if Gale as the player character
becomes the Mindflayer then hands over the crown to Mystra, *POOF!*, she turns him human again.

Oh good grief.

Not that it's illogical or impossible or anything for Mystra to cast a 9th level spell on him out of gratitude for his actions - maybe she just read the scroll in his inventory! - but it seemed like Larian was going out of their way to ignore all the resurrection magic available because it's too easy a solution to various problems. And then they just whip it out in the end anyway. For Gale. I love Gale, but c'mon, he already gets the shiniest, most consequence-free endings in the game.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Increasingly, when I play cRPGs that have ressurrection spells and scrolls in, I want one that explores allowing you to ressurrect ANYONE. A decent GM would allow it and create interesting stories around it.

"Patch 2 <...>begins our journey incorporating feedback into Origin Character epilogues"

(link goes to twitter)

Sounds plenty hopeful, I think. Perhaps not exactly a patch matter, what we're hoping for, but still nice to hear that this direction is worked on.

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
apprentice
apprentice

Justice for Karlach!
R
Rae Offline
R
Yeah, from Patch2:

"We’ve started expanding the epilogues and you’ll see the first results of that in Patch 2 with the addition of a new optional ending with Karlach. It’s fiery, poignant, and gives her the ending she deserves."

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Does it mean I can get it by beating final boss again or its about some extra actions in order to have the new ending? A bit confused.

M
M
I think people should really check the meaning of the word poignant. "Evoking a keen sense of sadness or regret."

"Poignant" can also mean generally deeply affecting, sharp/strong, etc. Theoretically.

One would hope that with the current selection of endings that we already have a "new" and "optional" one wouldn't just be... more sadness? Fingers crossed! One would also hope that a simple expansion on an existing ending for the sake of a more detailed epilogue - something we also asked for, granted,
like a line about Tav and Karlach in Avernus
- wouldn't be called "new"...

However, I'll try to reserve my excitement. Believe it when I see it, etc etc! (At the very least it's nice to see that we were CLEARLY heard)

Last edited by tarraxahum; 29/08/23 10:28 PM.

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all, I'd like to reach out with a huge thank you. Larian actually addressed this, which is crazy, given its not something they often do.

Congratulations to you all, and, pending seeing what this new ending really is, thank you Larian.

A
stranger
stranger
A
"However, I'll try to reserve my excitement. Believe it when I see it, etc etc!"

I am 100% with you there. I'm a bit...worried about seeing what Larian spoke on it.

"It’s fiery, poignant, and gives her the ending she deserves."

My worry is that it won't deliver a payoff that melds together with the options we have available to us in game currently. I'm hopeful that they just let us fix her engine after putting in the work for it. Don't make it easy for us to do, but make it so we -can- do that.

Fingers crossed.

*Edit*: Maybe I'm wrong though, as I've seen poignant used to describe emotionally evoking moments, places, times, etc. Not necessarily meaning sad or sorrowful. Hope? Hope.

Last edited by Aksonius; 29/08/23 10:41 PM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
Put me down on the "would like an at least relatively positive ending" for Karlach. Will also jump on the hope train.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
While it's nice something is happening I'm concerned it's happening too soon. Karlach's bigger problem is just lack of content. the other origins get beefy quests associated with them, with Karlach it's just "talk to this trader twice" I'd accept a different kind of ending for her if it came from something.

stranger
stranger
Also jumping in here to celebrate the news, and hoping ( i.e. hinting very strongly towards Larian here ) that this means we get an actually happy ending with Karlach

old hand
old hand
I don't think they're hinting toward a happy ending here - just expansion of the current versions. But we'll see.

D
stranger
stranger
D
jumping in here to celebrate the news and hoping because hope is the last thing you lose. Honestly the ending karlach deserves is to live the rest of her life in baldur gate with tav, but I will take tav going with karlach to avernus so they can find a solution to her problem there. Lastly maybe they could add a deal with raphael to have her problem solved and im not saying that because I love raphael as a character so I want him to have more content(ok yes that's why I am saying it).

stranger
stranger
IIRC the epilogues being mentioned are the currently not implemented post-game explainer segments that were 15 minutes or so from what Swen said shortly before release.

I don't see anything regarding changing story paths or endings for anyone.

I'd say it's probably wise to enjoy what's on offer but be realistic in expectations.

Last edited by The Frosthaven; 30/08/23 12:17 AM.

Justice For Karlach.
A
stranger
stranger
A
I'm just wondering how much the new epilogue would be involving best girl. Hell, it'd be nice if the epilogues takes into consideration whether u killed Raphael or not and if u did then player and Karlach could just go to the House of Hope and reunite with Hope and mayb see how well she is getting along with her sister (if u didnt kill her ofc) and seeing as how the way to get to the House of Hope is in a portal in the shop the dwarf woman runs it could make it easy for any of the companions who want to visit the player and Karlach and vice versa to come and go from and mayb if u didn't give the dwarf the gauntlets she asks u for she closes the portal cutting off access to the outside world for player and Karlach and if u give her the gauntlets she keeps the portal open (choices you make should have meaning after all)

(I doubt this would ever happen in the epilogue but hey, it makes sense in my headcanon)

also the patch needs to stop Wyll offering to take Karlach back to Avernus over the player if they want. If the player doesnt offer to go to Avernus with her THEN Wyll offers but I dont like Karlach romance dialogue being interrupted by the weak link of the party

the HoH would b the perfect place for the two to reside in it has bath's, big bed's, big-ass dinner table......and lots of demon bodies and a devil's......ah well, at least the rent would be non-existent

Last edited by ARavingLooony; 30/08/23 12:36 AM.
Page 17 of 157 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 156 157

Link Copied to Clipboard