Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
enthusiast
enthusiast
Is there a way for people to 'mod in' some of the datamined content?

Love and sausages xx
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I wonder if hacking off pieces of act3 is “the last minute crisis” that Sven mentioned in the FPS podcast.

As a software engineer myself I think it is possible that there was something really nasty going on at some "critical point" in Upper City that the whole part had to be put aside for the time being. If the access to Avernus happens in Upper City, too, then this may be a reason.

I can also imagine that the missing epilogue has something to do with this as well, maybe it simply made no sense having the epilogue in there while Upper City is not part of the game.

Notice how I say "put aside for the time being" and "while".

I wouldn't rule out that patch 1 and / or 2 bring back the meaningful parts of the content that is currently missing.

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Firesong
I wonder if hacking off pieces of act3 is “the last minute crisis” that Sven mentioned in the FPS podcast.

As a software engineer myself I think it is possible that there was something really nasty going on at some "critical point" in Upper City that the whole part had to be put aside for the time being. If the access to Avernus happens in Upper City, too, then this may be a reason.

I can also imagine that the missing epilogue has something to do with this as well, maybe it simply made no sense having the epilogue in there while Upper City is not part of the game.

I wouldn't rule out that patch 1 and / or 2 bring back the meaningful parts of the content that is currently missing.

Not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand I desperately want Act 3 to be polished and I am all for more content, but if they add in cut content with patches, it means that they knowingly sold an incomplete game...

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by SiriusVI

Not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand I desperately want Act 3 to be polished and I am all for more content, but if they add in cut content with patches, it means that they knowingly sold an incomplete game...

Well, they did this in D:OS2, but they made good on it by releasing the Definitive Edition with significant re-works to the final act, a proper epilogue, etc. as free to existing purchasers. So if "past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior" then they've already done this before and that this is nothing new for how they choose to develop their games, and they are likely going to make good on it again, either through patches or a DE that would be free to existing purchasers.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I'm just as gutted as many others, but I have faith in Larian that they'll hear our feedback and sort various bits out for us.

O
apprentice
apprentice
O
Originally Posted by 0Muttley0

Very questionable, outside of specific parts. You'd have to recreate a lot of the content and context from zero.

R
stranger
stranger
R

While I agree with you, I would totaly forgive it, if the cut content comes for free later.
They did similar things with Divinity-Original Sin 2.

I cant say anything for certain, but Larian doesnt seem like the type of studio that cuts content to sell you as DLC later.

veteran
veteran

That would be my guess. I haven't seen act3 for myself yet, but upper city, and variations in the epilogue/ending slides are things I am pretty confident Sven mentioned himself.

I don't think such major addition will happen soon though. I suspect that if it will happen, it will be in a form of their usual "Enhanced Edition" a year or so from now.

I think every game is technically incomplete, as things always get cut, sometimes to the benefit, sometimes to the detriment of a game. The only difference here is transparency, and I really don't think one can condemn Larian for being transparent. In fact, common complaint has been that they weren't transparent enough - that's the reason why. You mentioned you work on something for the game, and you don't deliver, audience will be understandably disappointed.

Larian doesn't have a habit of charging for their patched, so if something forced them to remove planned content for 1.0, it is commendible if they are willing to spend resource to finish those. Other than wanting to deliver the best game possible, they have no incentive to do so.

vel Offline

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by vel

Did you miss where I linked on the original reddit post that comes chronologically before that?

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by 0Muttley0
Possibly, some games like Dragon Age Origins had scenes and dialogues with characters like Morrigan cut but modders were able to restore it but it might only be limited to voice lines there isn't much hope for upper city/avernus and ethel's coven unless Larian themselves add it back into the game and hopefully they will do.

Last edited by Kamos174; 24/08/23 03:59 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by vel

Did you miss where I linked on the original reddit post that comes chronologically before that?

Both of these still appear to lack sources for most of those claims though. Some of it certainly appears to be correct, but some of it could really use some evidence for what was “meant” to be in the game.

J
stranger
stranger
J
My only issue with the cut content is they promoted it and then said nothing about removing it, that's shady. If they had been more forthcoming about the change considering they told us it was in the game just weeks or months prior then I don't think anyone would have the right to be upset. They very well may have delayed the release too if it wasn't for Starfield.

Last edited by jfcmp87; 24/08/23 06:12 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by jfcmp87
My only issue with the cut content is they promoted it and then said nothing about removing it, that's shady. If they had been more forthcoming about the change considering they told us it was in the game just weeks or months prior then I don't think anyone would have the right to be upset. They very well may have delayed the release too if it wasn't for Starfield.
I've never understood the fixation with that game, it's a Bethesda game there's literally memes about bugs and bethesda lol, that game will launch with more bugs than act 3 could only concieve in it's dreams despite what Microsoft says. I would of just delayed BG3's release for another 2-3 months and had the cut stuff that makes sense like Ethel's coven, Avernus, Upper City and the companion dialogues and epilogues put in.

enthusiast
enthusiast
So we are excusing this just because is Larian? Interesting... Specially with all those Outrage Videos about Blizzard, EA, etc... and how this was the Second Coming of Christ of Releases in the Videogaming Industry while Larian just swept this under the Rug. Of course anyone would want the Game to be finished but i don't know how to feel about them now...

Last edited by JDCrenton; 24/08/23 07:47 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
So we are excusing this just because is Larian? Interesting... Specially with all those Outrage Videos about Blizzard, EA, etc... and how this was the Second Coming of Christ of Releases in the Videogaming Industry while Larian just swept this under the Rug. Of course anyone would want the Game to be finished but i don't know how to feel about them now...
I'm 100% with you on this, i called people out for the same thing in another thread like this one which got locked due to bickering.

How can people sit there and just think " This is fine " they lied to us, they advertised things that should of been in the game like the playable upper city, it's literally in one of their update blogs and they just removed it without so much as a word, potentionally breaking numerous companions in the process (noticably dooming Karlach to terrible endings), the 17000 variations which was supposed to come via the epilogue isn't a thing as well.

Last edited by Kamos174; 24/08/23 07:57 PM.
V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by Kamos174
I'm 100% with you on this, i called people out for the same thing in another thread like this one which got locked due to bickering.

How can people sit there and just think " This is fine " they lied to us, they advertised things that should of been in the game like the playable upper city, it's literally in one of their update blogs and they just removed it without so much as a word, potentionally breaking numerous companions in the process (noticably dooming Karlach to terrible endings), the 17000 variations which was supposed to come via the epilogue isn't a thing as well.

Well, I don't think that this is fine at all, but it is what it is...descision to cut lots of important stuff is a serious descision, if they decided to do it, then, probably, situation wasn't so trivial as you might think.
You also can't say that they could easily delayed release for 3 or even more months, you don't even know how much time they really need to completely finish what they planned nor you don't know their financial status & other issues.
I'm not saying it's ok, they promised one thing and delivered another and I'm dissapointed not less then you, but I'm saying that we don't know their problems and they are not idiots, you know, if they decided to cut so much content instead of delaying release, then they probably got a serious reason to do so, yet it's still a great game with a great replayability and I'll gladly play it again and again when they release Definitive Edition which, hopefully, will include at least the most important content they decided to cut.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Folks, you're all free to say what you personally think of the decision to cut content, but others are also free to think what they like and to say that too. Let's not get into an unproductive meta-discussion about whose value judgement of the situation is right.

It would be even better if we stuck to the topic of what content has been cut and what impact we think it is having on the overall quality and coherence of the game, as it feels like we've already covered the ground of why and when decisions were made and what could or should have been communicated as far as is possible given limited data. But some venting of disappointment is understandable and okay, as long as it's not the same people saying the same things over again.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Sure. It's called goodwill. I don't believe Larian has intentionally missrepresented or misadvertised the game. Something went wrong, at some point. Larian has also trackrecord of continued free support for their games. Frankly, the game is in much better state than I anticipated, and as someone who has been playing the game since early EA, that the game still isn't finished, isn't really that much of a dealbreaker for me.

What soured, at least me, on the other companies you mentioned is their business practices. In that regard Larian is as good as it gets - single purchase, reasonably priced game, aimed to be fun, not to nickel and dime players.

I am not as enthusiastic about BG3 as some other individuals, but I am find no fault with the game as a product.

journeyman
journeyman
What soured, at least me, on the other companies you mentioned is their business practices. In that regard Larian is as good as it gets - single purchase, reasonably priced game, aimed to be fun, not to nickel and dime players.

I am not as enthusiastic about BG3 as some other individuals, but I am find no fault with the game as a product.

You are correwct, and people are overreacting a bit. BG3's ending is not nearly as bad as Mass Effect 3's ending wan, and it's built on an excellent and very long game.

My disappointment stems from the frustration that BG3 could have been more than game, but a work of art. Something like Breaking Bad. Instead, it's more like Game of Thrones: it has an absolutely stellar beginning, but Laian unfortunately didn't stick the landing:

- there are too many plot holes to ignore, which hurts the narrative coherence of the story.
- the two baddies in Act 3 are a bit of a letdown compared to the showdown at the end of act 2.
- Act 3 is just too messy overall.
- the major decisions in the game don't affect the outcome of the story enough.
- the ending is too abrupt and does not wrap up the experience very well.

It's so frustrating, because all the stars were alligned for BG3 to be a masterpiece of a game, a true work of art. Such an opportinity does not come very often, and for now, I feel like it's gone. BG3 is, as you say, a very good "product". As a customer, I got my money's worth and then seome. Compared to other AAA games, I'd even say it's a 10/10 "product". But sadly, it's not more than a product.

Last edited by SiriusVI; 24/08/23 10:55 PM.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard