Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
I absolutely believe that if they just stick through the one or two tough moment with the Dark Urge(and it literally is just one or two tough moments that are either forced or need dice rolls to avoid) they themselves would understand how good the origin is. That's my entire point: do not dismiss this character...you will not be forced into much more than the one or two tough situations and the payoff is amazing.

As someone who actually did abandon Dark Urge initially, I agree with the sentiment.

For me Dark Urge is quite amazing as a character with a very interesting story which I was going to roleplay either way even if it did not exist, but that one stupid camp scene almost entirely ruined the enjoyment of the character for me. Not because of what Dark Urge does that night, but the fact it does it without any of my choices mattering and I didn't like that at all. Because then I started thinking what if there are more situations in the future where I have no say in what happens and it keeps killing off side-stories or even companions which I'm very interested in exploring, at which point I just deleted my playthrough.

But then I started another Dark Urge and decided to just metagame that damn camp scene and been loving the character a lot since. That scene to me just entirely sends the wrong message from the one that was intended. And as it can be seen so it does to a lot of people, as many end up deleting their Dark Urge playthroughs in which they try their best to resist the urge.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Okay, Darth_Trethon, other people are perfectly entitled to their own views and it's not okay to dismiss them as "silly". You have made your own view clear, which as long as it's about the game and not the quality of other people's opinions is also okay, and I think now it's time to agree to disagree.
My main issue is a lot of people don't know how that story progresses. And it doesn't work to just spoil it for them either. It is something that can only be understood if you experience it. I absolutely believe that if they just stick through the one or two tough moment with the Dark Urge(and it literally is just one or two tough moments that are either forced or need dice rolls to avoid) they themselves would understand how good the origin is. That's my entire point: do not dismiss this character...you will not be forced into much more than the one or two tough situations and the payoff is amazing. That's why I said it is "silly" to dismiss the character and it is a terrible thing to do.

As I said, you have already made your point abundantly clear, and you now need to let people make up their own minds rather than keeping repeating yourself just because you haven't convinced everyone. And, please, no pushing back on moderator requests in thread.

PM me if you think I'm asking something unreasonable.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Redwyrm
Originally Posted by Abits
I honestly think some Dark Urge plot points are way over the top and again, feels like Larian writers try too hard to be edgy and cool, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Also, I think they are interested in the concept much more than to actually flash out the story in a way it will make sense...
have you actually played DU completely?
Also have you played original Baldur's Gate trilogy?
It makes perfect sense why devs put DU into the game, and why DU exactly as he is.
I think the way I think BECAUSE I played the original trilogy and finished a DU playthrough. If you play the original games you'll see being a Bhaalspawn does not automatically mean "KILL EVERYONE IN THE WORST WAY POSSIBLE!!!" and while I found some of it to be fine, I think trying to be cooler than the original made it a bit over the top. I don't think it's a huge deal, since I did enjoy the DU experience overall and found it fun, and superior to normal Tav, but no, it's not perfect.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Another point I wanted to raise about the dark urge story, it actually reminds me of another famous Bioware game that came out a little after BG2. the amnesia, the reveal of you being evil, it's very similar.
spoilers for a very old game:
I'm talking of course of Revan from Knights of the old Republic. I don't think it's exactly the same, because you being potentially evil is not a secret at all, but your true origin is, even if it's a really badly kept one. which is not so different from the other "secrets" in this game (the most prime examples being the nature of Astarion, the Faith of Shadowheart)

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
C
C
I just finished my semi-good DU playthrough, It's amazing, strongly recommend it to everyone to try it. For me, the experience was much better and more complete than Custom Tav. I suppose for Roleplayers custom Tav it's and will be a better choice, even though I still think you can make exactly, or mostly the same choices you do on Custom Tav if you wish so.

veteran
veteran
Okay, Darth_Trethon, other people are perfectly entitled to their own views and it's not okay to dismiss them as "silly". You have made your own view clear, which as long as it's about the game and not the quality of other people's opinions is also okay, and I think now it's time to agree to disagree.
My main issue is a lot of people don't know how that story progresses. And it doesn't work to just spoil it for them either. It is something that can only be understood if you experience it. I absolutely believe that if they just stick through the one or two tough moment with the Dark Urge(and it literally is just one or two tough moments that are either forced or need dice rolls to avoid) they themselves would understand how good the origin is. That's my entire point: do not dismiss this character...you will not be forced into much more than the one or two tough situations and the payoff is amazing. That's why I said it is "silly" to dismiss the character and it is a terrible thing to do.

People have different opinions, so maybe you stop forcing your opinions on us, because that is what you are doing for days in different threads now. We get it, you love Durge - great, go and have fun, but let other people play, what they want.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
S
old hand
old hand
S
While I've not played the DU yet, I've seen all the scenes.

I also believe I have seen most arguments for why people do not like it. My conclusion? The story is exactly like I expected it would go. Anything you didn't like about DU at the start, you won't like at the end. Your past is several times worse than "you were a random serial killer". If you had a custom backstory planned, you can forget about it. That's not happening.

If I want a RPG that defines itself by templates, I'd play a different game. So, yes. As I've said before: If DU was the only option, I'd have never bought Bg3. Call it silly all you want.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I really wish Larian wasn't so secretive about the Durge being a what it is, had I'd known on release day I would have made it my first playthrough. But instead I got it spoiled for me in act 3 because Larian just put it in the game for literally no reason.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Saradur
I really wish Larian wasn't so secretive about the Durge being a what it is, had I'd known on release day I would have made it my first playthrough. But instead I got it spoiled for me in act 3 because Larian just put it in the game for literally no reason.
If all you saw was
that body and used speak with the dead on it
I really wouldn't worry about it...it doesn't tell you much about the origin at all and what it does tell you is nothing that many hadn't figured out by simply being familiar with the lore of the dead three and the evens of BG1 and BG2.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I did use Speak with dead, and it had nothing to say to me. But I'm glad to know it didn't reveal anything major.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
That particular twist seemed as if meant to upend the 'blank slate' protagonist idea by making you think that the character you'd created was indeed such a protagonist, but revealing a full background midway. In comparison Dark Urge is all about knowing that backstory exists and trying to seek it out despite amnesia. The reveal, such as it is, is so obvious to series veterans or even someone who has watched a summary video or something, that it doesn't seem like it was ever meant to be a big mystery to the player - rather the process of how it is revealed is the point. At least, I hope Larian respects their players enough to know they weren't fooling anyway. It is a fruitful comparison though; I was reminded of it as well despite these big differences.

Redwyrm Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Abits
I think the way I think BECAUSE I played the original trilogy and finished a DU playthrough. If you play the original games you'll see being a Bhaalspawn does not automatically mean "KILL EVERYONE IN THE WORST WAY POSSIBLE!!!" and while I found some of it to be fine, I think trying to be cooler than the original made it a bit over the top. I don't think it's a huge deal, since I did enjoy the DU experience overall and found it fun, and superior to normal Tav, but no, it's not perfect.
Well that's a difference in between being Bhaalspawn and Chosen of Bhaal.
First one where infused with Bhaal essence on birth, as potential heirs for Bhaal throne. Not necessary evil, but certainly constantly get pushed toward being evil.
Second one is someone who already succumbed to Bhaal's essence, and became murder incarnate.

But then again, that's not necessary you. Your body committed murders, but not your mind. You can treat it just like any other murder scenes you find in the game. And you find plenty of those.

And most sweet part. Resisting Dark Urge doesn't even necessary being good. But merely not wishing to be a Bhaal's puppet, even with promised great powers that comes with it.

I actually let Urges to take over me few times... when it was just convenient to get rid of some minor NPCs. Not for the sake of being psychopath, but rather cold-hearted murder that otherwise would prevent you to loot a place or get other benefits.

Last edited by Redwyrm; 25/08/23 11:41 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by crst
I just finished my semi-good DU playthrough, It's amazing, strongly recommend it to everyone to try it. For me, the experience was much better and more complete than Custom Tav. I suppose for Roleplayers custom Tav it's and will be a better choice, even though I still think you can make exactly, or mostly the same choices you do on Custom Tav if you wish so.
Can I *not* kill the squirrel (regardless of my choice of race/class)? Can I *not* wake up covered in blood? Can I *not* have any evil/dark urges?

R
R
Can you NOT kill the squirrel? Yes, but you need talk to animals for that to happen.

Can you NOT wake up covered in blood? No. This is a important part of the DU story and it's the only scene that happens no matter what. (Alfira or dragonborn bard have to die for the DU quest to continue and the dragonborn bard despite being fully voiced is not properly implemented. She shows up in her underwear and despite Alfira being alive certain dialogue choices treat her as dead and alive at the same time)

Can you NOT have evil/dark urges? No, its the part of the origin. (but despite what some think its just dialogue choice that you can ignore and not a forced thing)

The way I see it is that DU was meant to be the main character at one point or at least a variation of DU. (some EA datamined info implied that Tav had dark urges)

Despite Larian claiming that its a mainly evil playthrough it is not, I would even go as far to say that its more enjoyable/meant to be played as a flawed individual fighting their unknown origin and becoming a 'hero'/better person (DU origin video even implies that the character is fighting against these evil thoughts and not indulging).

But if you are someone that's looking for full freedom when it comes to designing your character (backstory/class) I would say that DU is not for you.

DU gives you a lot of freedom when it comes to roleplaying but at the end of the day you are still a Bhaalspawn amnesiac.

So if you have a unique background for your playthrough/character you should stick with Tav.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why is Wisdom the saving throw used to resist the Urge?

Evil always finds a way.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
Why is Wisdom the saving throw used to resist the Urge?

I think because it is tied to your willpower, you need a strong will to resist your urges

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rotsen
Can you NOT kill the squirrel? Yes, but you need talk to animals for that to happen.

Can you NOT wake up covered in blood? No. This is a important part of the DU story and it's the only scene that happens no matter what. (Alfira or dragonborn bard have to die for the DU quest to continue and the dragonborn bard despite being fully voiced is not properly implemented. She shows up in her underwear and despite Alfira being alive certain dialogue choices treat her as dead and alive at the same time)

Can you NOT have evil/dark urges? No, its the part of the origin. (but despite what some think its just dialogue choice that you can ignore and not a forced thing)

The way I see it is that DU was meant to be the main character at one point or at least a variation of DU. (some EA datamined info implied that Tav had dark urges)

Despite Larian claiming that its a mainly evil playthrough it is not, I would even go as far to say that its more enjoyable/meant to be played as a flawed individual fighting their unknown origin and becoming a 'hero'/better person (DU origin video even implies that the character is fighting against these evil thoughts and not indulging).

But if you are someone that's looking for full freedom when it comes to designing your character (backstory/class) I would say that DU is not for you.

DU gives you a lot of freedom when it comes to roleplaying but at the end of the day you are still a Bhaalspawn amnesiac.

So if you have a unique background for your playthrough/character you should stick with Tav.

Where you want to merely see a "flawed character," I see an evil psycho. I say this while entirely supporting characters being flawed, which I consider to be something quite different and separate from DU being an evil psycho. And that the answers to all three of my questions are 'no' supports my take on DU.

Playing a custom PC is totally fine with me, and is most certainly the only way I'd even consider playing BG3 (and the "correct" way to play the game in my opinion). The problem, though, is that playing a custom PC is the least gratifying way to play the game, per Larian's intentional game design, and that doesn't sit well with me at all.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
The problem, though, is that playing a custom PC is the least gratifying way to play the game, per Larian's intentional game design, and that doesn't sit well with me at all.

I don't totally agree with that. (i'll tag this all as spoilers for Red Queen's sanity)

From my playthrough, playing a custom PC is absolutely the BEST way to play the game. I doubt I'll ever do an origin playthrough or DU playthrough. The trade off of having less background built into the game vs it being MY character isn't even a trade off for me. I know we've had this conversation before, but for me and others, being able to make the character our own is much more important than losing a few interactions throughout the game. Once you see the whole plot, you quickly realize that the origin interactions with the main story, while seemingly extremely important, are an illusion. SH? Not remotely needed. Gale and his "only you can save the world" line? Nope, total nonsense. Wyll? I didn't do any of his actual storyline with him in my party and got the same results. Lae'zel? The creche isn't even required for the story in the slightest.

It's all just window dressing that gives the illusion of something more, but the fact is, as a custom Tav, I WAS the most important person in the story. I made all the decisions, the origin companions followed my lead, I made the final decisions at the end of the game. If I had played as any of the origin companions, sure, I could have done similar things, but it would always be tainted by Larian's backstory for them and forced interactions. As a blank slate, Tav was 100% MINE.

idk, I'm just repeating the same things I've said over and over again. I do understand what you're saying, but I do think you're not giving custom Tav enough credit, and overestimating just how important the origins are.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 25/08/23 04:53 PM.
R
R
I understand and completely agree with you that Larians approach to developing main characters/custom PC has been rather disappointing. But for whatever reason they insist on making companions more than they are at the expense of the PC. (Original Sin 2 being the worst in that regard.)

So in the future I do hope they take a step away from it. (I don't want to play as a companion, I want to play as my own character and I don't want that character to be a non entity that pushes other peoples stories forward.)

In regards to you seeing DU as a irredeemable? evil psycho, I'm curious as to why? Would you call the Nameless One from the Planescape Torment the same? (seeing how both of them were evil in the past/past lives)

I would agree with you if you said they were one before the whole amnesia thing seeing how they were the chosen of Bhaal and a Bhaalspawn. (also spoilers - DU is the mastermind behind the whole Absolute cult and the person that enslaved the Illithid brain before Orin ended up killing them)

But after the resurrections (first one in the DU story) the choice to be a psycho is entirely up to the player. Unlike before the betrayal where DU indulged and accepted what they were the DU after waking up on the Nautiloid is given the choice to make their own future because they are a blank slate/new person.

The urges/thoughts they experience/have are a byproduct of Bhaals corrupt blood flowing through them and they stay just that, thoughts. (if the player chooses not to act upon them)
As for the murder of the bard, Larian could've done a better job with the whole scene but again the whole thing happens because DU loses control due to the blood of Bhaal/ against their will. (and again spoilers - if u reject Bhaal in the end he kills you and drains you of your blood thus freeing you of those urges)

I wouldn't call DU a good person but at the same time I would not call them a evil psycho (again depends on the player choice) but yeah I am curious as to why you think that way.

Last edited by Rotsen; 25/08/23 05:29 PM.
stranger
stranger
How about a perspective change, since character choice is a choice after all. I'm going to dare to say something positive here.

Some people like blank slates they can impose a story onto.
Some people like controllable stories that have a starting point.
Some people like stories that are set in stone already, waiting to be uncovered.

How cool is it that this game offers all of the above as options instead of railroading half of this thread`s opinions into accepting the other half's opinions as the only option?

I for one am GLAD there are choices that exist that I would never personally play, because it means its okay for me to play a story others wouldn't personally choose.

It means I don't have to worry about mob-opinion removing content I enjoy, and all I have to do is accept others will do the same.

Last edited by The Frosthaven; 25/08/23 05:41 PM.

Justice For Karlach.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard