Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
stranger
stranger
K
Same solution for me. 75 also works but limiting to 85:still caused shutdown.

This was with cpu fan on max and smart.

Curious if your psu has silent fan mode? Button on this was pushed in, meaning maybe my psu overheated? Butnwhybjot starfield....

P
stranger
stranger
P
Were you able to find a solution to your problem?

I'm encountering the same thing as you are. AMD 5600x, 3070, Corsair 750 Plat. All other games run with no problems, except BG3

I can alleviate the problem by running the game at low resolution, window mode, and low settings, but if choose default graphics settings, at 1440p, the game will suddenly turns off my PC

S
stranger
stranger
S
Hi there, I was going to open a thread to talk about it, but decided to reply here. The same thing is happening to me. My computer shuts down out of nowhere while playing BG3, it doesn't overheat, I tested harder and stronger games on max and nothing of the sort happened. The PSU is fine, it doesn't get over 70° neither in my CPU nor my GPU, yet out of nowhere while playing the game, the pc just shuts down. Toning down the graphics only delayed the inevitable, and sometimes, things just happen at random: One session I played hours with no problem, others it was nearly right after starting the game. Sometimes all it took was asking for a character to sit down, others it was during an intense cutscene.

I tried nearly everything, from undervolt modes for the GPU to energy saving modes for the PC, nothing works.

Anyone found anything about this problem?

H
stranger
stranger
H
I'm also experiencing the same issue. Hoping someone figures something out. Most of the replies out there are "fix your hardware". I'm just so skeptical that it's a PSU issue across all of these different machines and set ups, completely and solely specific to BG3. It's definitely not temps. I dunno, but I'm super bummed since I don't want to risk my hardware to play this very enjoyable game. Larian, halp!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Hoozawatzit
I'm also experiencing the same issue. Hoping someone figures something out. Most of the replies out there are "fix your hardware". I'm just so skeptical that it's a PSU issue across all of these different machines and set ups, completely and solely specific to BG3. It's definitely not temps. I dunno, but I'm super bummed since I don't want to risk my hardware to play this very enjoyable game. Larian, halp!

Sorry to hear that. And for everyone else having this issue.

I’m no expert, but a hardware issue of some kind does appear to be at least part of the problem. As I understand it, an emergency shutdown is a hardware failsafe to try to prevent damage to the system (even though repeated resets isn’t particularly good for it either). Programs can lock up, crash, cause fatal errors and all that, but I don’t think they can just pull the plug without something else being wrong.

When I had this problem very badly, it was not just BG3. Disco Elysium for example was completely unplayable as well for me. Other games and programs were generally OK for the most part, but the problem was still there. On cyberpunk 2077 for instance I still got the occasional hard reset, maybe once every 5 or 6 hours. So it’s feasible that others could only see the problem on BG3.

My hypothesis is that there’s something about BG3 (and DE) that taxes some part of the system more than most other games and programs, exposing a weakness. In my case I don’t think it was the PSU (tried replacing it) or temperature (didn’t look too excessive), but I’m not entirely sure.

The fact it’s happening across different setups doesn’t rule out a hardware issue. Components from different manufacturers all do the same thing and can all fail in the same ways. This doesn’t entirely let Larian off the hook though. If there’s something in the program causing issues in systems that seem fine running most everything else, they should definitely investigate and improve it.

It doesn’t help that a hard shutdown doesn’t generate crash reports.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Yeah, at first I thought it was my PSU, but then I saw people with way better rigs than mine having the same problem. I uninstalled the game and I will wait for results, I'm also afraid of BG3 damaging something on my pc. I have faith that Larian will discover what the issue is and fix it.

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
A system shutdown is almost always an indication of the hardware issue. This could be a current over drawn, a heat issue in the PSU / CPU or GPU. (Could also be motherboard) I have never in over 30 years as a tech seen a program be the cause of this kind of an issue. I can be the trigger, but not the cause.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Skullwriter
Yeah, at first I thought it was my PSU, but then I saw people with way better rigs than mine having the same problem. I uninstalled the game and I will wait for results, I'm also afraid of BG3 damaging something on my pc. I have faith that Larian will discover what the issue is and fix it.
Hope can you, but Larian cannot in any way fix your shutdown problems. Shutdowns are 99,9% caused by your hardware.

What Larian can do is optimize their game to use less resources and then your hardware problem can go hiding again. But they never can fix it. Computers need to be anle to work under 100% stress and not shutdown.

My estimation of your problem is not psu, but motherboard vrm.

When discussing these problems people should give exact specs, names and models of components. It is farily easy to spot subpar motherboards for example that can not run cpus…

P.s. I am willing to bet decent sums of money that your computer cannot run hours of lets say prime95 and msi kombustor at same time. Those software put your cpu and gpu to 100%.

Last edited by Cirrus550; 29/09/23 09:48 PM.

We are all heroes, you and Boo and I! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
H
stranger
stranger
H
I would love to have an answer to this, even a common thread on hardware everyone with the issue is using. It's just hard to find the time to take some action without a more serious handle on the problem.

I wish I had the time and money to start swapping out parts to see if I could isolate it, but I'm an amateur who games in his free time. I'm really not trying to assert anything except I'm having the same problem that it looks like other people are having. The path of least resistance for me is to just keep eyeballing forums like this and to move on to a game that doesn't crash my system, i.e. every single other one I've tried so far.

Originally Posted by Dagless

Sorry to hear that. And for everyone else having this issue.

I’m no expert, but a hardware issue of some kind does appear to be at least part of the problem. As I understand it, an emergency shutdown is a hardware failsafe to try to prevent damage to the system (even though repeated resets isn’t particularly good for it either). Programs can lock up, crash, cause fatal errors and all that, but I don’t think they can just pull the plug without something else being wrong.

When I had this problem very badly, it was not just BG3. Disco Elysium for example was completely unplayable as well for me. Other games and programs were generally OK for the most part, but the problem was still there. On cyberpunk 2077 for instance I still got the occasional hard reset, maybe once every 5 or 6 hours. So it’s feasible that others could only see the problem on BG3.

My hypothesis is that there’s something about BG3 (and DE) that taxes some part of the system more than most other games and programs, exposing a weakness. In my case I don’t think it was the PSU (tried replacing it) or temperature (didn’t look too excessive), but I’m not entirely sure.

The fact it’s happening across different setups doesn’t rule out a hardware issue. Components from different manufacturers all do the same thing and can all fail in the same ways. This doesn’t entirely let Larian off the hook though. If there’s something in the program causing issues in systems that seem fine running most everything else, they should definitely investigate and improve it.

It doesn’t help that a hard shutdown doesn’t generate crash reports.

Thanks for this response, very diplomatic and you articulated what I was thinking very well. Here are my system specs for the hell of it.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
ID-COOLING SE-214-XT 68.2 CFM CPU Cooler
Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Kingston FURY Beast RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card
Patriot P310 480 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Intel 670p Series M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Apevia Prestige 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 11 Home

S
stranger
stranger
S
ATI AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Corsair CX750M for power.
All are new.

24,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1064MHz
447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
All are new.

One potential issue is your running mixed RAM. Looks like your running 2x 4GB sticks and 2x 8 GB sticks. This is usually problematic and can create stability issues. Try dropping to 16Gb (dual 8Gb) and see what happens.

Thanks for this response, very diplomatic and you articulated what I was thinking very well. Here are my system specs for the hell of it.

Intel 670p Series M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Look at your list two components leap out at me. The Motherboard is the first, if the system has decent air flow it will likely be okay but is a potential weak link. The second is the PSU, Apevia is not a well respected brand and this could be the weak link in the system.

You did not list the case and fan setup, this can be an issue if the system is not getting great air flow. There is an easy and quick test to see if the air flow is the issue, take off the side of the case and run it without the side panel. If the system runs as it should without the side panel then the issue is case air flow causing a heat issue, likely on the VRM.

Before you do that however make sure ANY overclocking is turned off, you want to test this at stock.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Zentu
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
All are new.

One potential issue is your running mixed RAM. Looks like your running 2x 4GB sticks and 2x 8 GB sticks. This is usually problematic and can create stability issues. Try dropping to 16Gb (dual 8Gb) and see what happens.
This. Extremely unoptimal memory setup. Plus mobo is not even listed.
Also PSU is very low tier. I bought one cx-m unit for my moms pc and it bbroke down immediately. For myself I would never consider.
Originally Posted by Zentu

Look at your list two components leap out at me. The Motherboard is the first, if the system has decent air flow it will likely be okay but is a potential weak link. The second is the PSU, Apevia is not a well respected brand and this could be the weak link in the system.

You did not list the case and fan setup, this can be an issue if the system is not getting great air flow. There is an easy and quick test to see if the air flow is the issue, take off the side of the case and run it without the side panel. If the system runs as it should without the side panel then the issue is case air flow causing a heat issue, likely on the VRM.

Before you do that however make sure ANY overclocking is turned off, you want to test this at stock.
I agree. This motherboard has one of the worst b550 and b450 VRMs hardware unboxed tested. If i recall correctly hwinfo64 shows VRM- temps on gigabyte motherboards. That should be monitored.

And like you said. Apevia psus are considered to be in avoid list as they have been horrendous garbage. This exact model info is bit limited at this time. But I would never ever buy such power for anything.

D
stranger
stranger
D
It's great to have some tech-savvy ppl responding to this thread. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I was having a similar problem with my PC and after doing a fair bit of digging (I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, proficient with the tech side of computers; I merely dabble), I came to the conclusion that I needed to do three things, in particular. First, I needed to reset my computer to its factory settings and reinstall my OS (Win 11 Home). Second, I needed to update my BIOS. Third, I needed to update my chip set drivers. After doing these three things, my BSOD crashes mid-game have completely stopped. However, BG3 *does* still crash all on its own fairly often (more often than a game should), but it no longer crashes my entire system.

I might draw the ire of AMD enthusiasts but I have a sneaking suspicion that these crashes are perpetuated by AMD parts. I've always had Intel/Nvidia systems in the past and decided to give AMD a try with my current rig and it has given me nothing but regrets.

I'll list my build below, in case someone much smarter than me can see something wonky about it.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Vermeer 3.8GHz 8-core AM4 Processor
MasterLiquid ML240L V2 240mm water cooling
MSI x570S MAG Tomahawk Max WiFi AMD AM4 ATX motherboard
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3200 PC4-25800 CL 16 Dual Channel memory
MSI AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming X Triple fan 16GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 graphics card
Samsung 980 SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe Interface PCIe 3.0 x4 solid state drive
PowerSpec 850W 80 Plus Gold ATX modular power supply
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Type C ATX mid-tower case

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Demogoth
It's great to have some tech-savvy ppl responding to this thread. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I was having a similar problem with my PC and after doing a fair bit of digging (I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, proficient with the tech side of computers; I merely dabble), I came to the conclusion that I needed to do three things, in particular. First, I needed to reset my computer to its factory settings and reinstall my OS (Win 11 Home). Second, I needed to update my BIOS. Third, I needed to update my chip set drivers. After doing these three things, my BSOD crashes mid-game have completely stopped. However, BG3 *does* still crash all on its own fairly often (more often than a game should), but it no longer crashes my entire system.

I might draw the ire of AMD enthusiasts but I have a sneaking suspicion that these crashes are perpetuated by AMD parts. I've always had Intel/Nvidia systems in the past and decided to give AMD a try with my current rig and it has given me nothing but regrets.

I'll list my build below, in case someone much smarter than me can see something wonky about it.

You have for example good cpu acompanied with top tier motherboard. Ssd etc work well.

But then you have acompanied that with low tier psu. Brand that have made absolute garbage psus. Maybe your is not, but it is low tier at best.

Another thing to note. Amd ryzen benefits cpu speed wise from good memory. It’s internal parts run speed relation to memory speed. I would consider your memory speed ”minimum” reasonable for ryzen to operate properly.

Not all ryzens can run 4000MHz memory (mine does not), but 3600MHz memory speed (and thus ryzen internal bus speed) should be everyones aim.

So you have mixed top tier parts (mobo+cpu) with (lowish) mediocre (ram) and with low tier parts (psu).

In case of shutdown problems I would walk to store and get PSU I can trust and go from there.

Last edited by Cirrus550; 30/09/23 08:18 AM.

R
stranger
stranger
R
For those impacted using an AMD CPU: worth checking that your graphic card is using a PCIe slot connected directly to the CPU and not one connected to the motherboard chipset. Generally, it means checking that your graphic card is in the topmost PCIe slot of your motherboard. Also, it may be worth testing with every other PCIe devices removed (if any) (NVMe drives using the topmost slot should also be fine).

I have encountered instability issues with how some AMD motherboard chipsets handle high load. Strongly doubt that this is what's happening for most people here though, but who knows.

Edit: also, I think someone else already mentioned it in this thread, but maybe trying to update the motherboard BIOS ? I'm bit reluctant to recommend it, given that it's a bit of a crapshoot whether it will actually help or make things worse.

For owner of AMD GPU cards, I have heard that updating the GPU BIOS can help. Never tried it myself though, and it doesn't seem to be officially supported by the manufacturers. Feels like a bit of high-risk procedure.

Last edited by Reyssor; 30/09/23 01:43 PM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
FWIW, since the most recent patch, BG3 is also causing PS5 shutdowns when the game client freezes and crashes. I'm not sure this is just an end-user PC hardware issue.

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
Originally Posted by Demogoth

I have three systems in my home, all running BG3 for family members and none of them have an issue so this is not an "AMD" issue. This could be background software related issues.

Originally Posted by Reyssor
For owner of AMD GPU cards, I have heard that updating the GPU BIOS can help. Never tried it myself though, and it doesn't seem to be officially supported by the manufacturers. Feels like a bit of high-risk procedure.

NEVER update a GPU BIOS unless directed to do it by the GPU tech support team.

T
stranger
stranger
T
My computer shut down twice today while playing BG3. Exactly as OP said, I have to switch the PSU off and leave it for a few seconds and back on again to even get the power button to work again.

I've playing almost everyday since launch, and it has never happened until today. Maybe the most recent patch has something to do with that in my case as Erica pointed out.

Hardware:
Ryzen 5600x
RTX 3060Ti
600W PSU

P
stranger
stranger
P
This kind of issues are always caused by hardware, not software.

It is your PC, the game just happens to be enough of a stress test to show it.

S
Banned
Banned
S
I've got a RTX 4090 and i9 and getting these shutdowns too, actually so disgusted by this game

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard