Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 157 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 156 157
K
stranger
stranger
K
This is similarly as bad, she wants to be in her home (Baldurs gate) with her friends. One of her biggest issues/fears about returning to Avernus is the loneliness, being on the astral plane isn't exactly going to help.

R
Rae Offline
R
Exactly, and now I figured out, that there is completely missing some cutscene with her old times friend blacksmith from Lower city. They wanted to go to dinner together also with you if you are in romance, but I'm expecting due to lack of the good ending, this was deleted too.

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rae
Exactly, and now I figured out, that there is completely missing some cutscene with her old times friend blacksmith from Lower city. They wanted to go to dinner together also with you if you are in romance, but I'm expecting due to lack of the good ending, this was deleted too.

Unfortunately, most likely. Patch #1 dropped today! So, the ball is rolling, Larian are even talking about expansions for the future in interviews. Keep hopes high!

stranger
stranger
Because it seems, that Karlach's "good ending"-content is tied to certain Ingame-Stuff/-Locations, which is already removed/deactivated from the Game, we can only hope, that Larian wants to reactivate/re-implement this cutted Content back into the Game...sometimes. But i think, generally this will take a lot more amount of Time and Work, than just Bugfixes or other Fixes for small narrative and "mechanical" issues...
But there is still Hope, that Things will come back into the Game, but sometimes next Year, not a few weeks after Release...

Last edited by Alter.Zocker; 25/08/23 01:47 PM.
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Not every story should end in happy ending,
as someone who loves Karlach Id say bittersweet ending is a strong and emotional ending. The only thing Id add is a short stroll of us - player and her - in Avernus or her visiting us as "vacation". But a complete way to save her would feel like we forced developers to bend their vision to our caprice. I prefer to respect the way developers decided to write their story, meanwhile I also dont like how some characters I saved without even trying hard, but the one I cared the most had no way to be saved. I was ready to give up almost anything for her to stay and be happy

Last edited by Berseria; 25/08/23 06:20 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Berseria
as someone who loves Karlach Id say bittersweet ending is a strong and emotional ending. The only thing Id add is a short stroll of us - player and her - in Avernus or her visiting us as "vacation". But a complete way to save her would feel like we forced developers to bend their vision to our caprice. I prefer to respect the way developers decided to write their story, meanwhile I also dont like how some characters I saved without even trying hard, but the one I cared the most had no way to be saved. I was ready to give up almost anything for her to stay and be happy

I agree with you, and I'm all for tragedies - I love them! The problem here is that Karlach's story just sort of stops being told halfway through the game. There is no big moment where you realize an inevitable outcome. Instead there is just a quest completion marker and a dropoff of any continuity well before the other stories in the game unwrap.

To make an analogy -

It isn't that I don't want sad things to happen to the characters in my book. It's just that I turned the page in the middle of one character talking and there are no more pages. The sentence caught mid-page-turn didn't even punctuate to conclusion. The absence of pages doesn't tell a story, it leaves the reader wondering where the rest of the story is.

Last edited by The Frosthaven; 25/08/23 06:38 PM.

Justice For Karlach.
Originally Posted by The Frosthaven
It isn't that I don't want sad things to happen to the characters in my book. It's just that I turned the page in the middle of one character talking and there are no more pages. The sentence caught mid-page-turn didn't even punctuate to conclusion. The absence of pages doesn't tell a story, it leaves the reader wondering where the rest of the story is.
And the reason it's so jarring is that the writer didn't finish erasing the end of the story. You can see stuff clearly connected to what would have been the rest of Karlach's story through Act 3, that you just don't get to do anything with. Maybe those things DO lead to a realization of an inevitable tragedy, but until the story is finished that tragedy hasn't been earned.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S

Dog, it's not a bitter sweet ending its just a bad ending.

We don't actually make an effort to fix her in Act 3 because of we did, we would have realized there 8 and a half million different ways we could have tried fixing her.

Last edited by Sunriders Destin; 25/08/23 06:54 PM.
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
I am fine with the tragic end. What I dont like is the complete lack of build up, like after act two when you learn she is dying it's basically never mentioned again, so whe we get to the end it feels completely random. why not some scenes on the way to the final fight of her struggling, let me know there is a problem.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 26/08/23 09:22 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
R
Rae Offline
R
True, in act 3 you have everything you need to save her, but you can't because the game don't allow you to do that in current state. When BG3 has 17000 endings, I'm sure that at least one if you have a romance and if you complete the missing upper city quest should let you save her and live together somewhere in cottage in BG or elsewhere. When you don't care and play as evil, actual endings make complete sence, but not if you play a good character and do everything to save her. Not in game where almost everything should be possible

Last edited by The Red Queen; 26/08/23 09:23 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rae
True, in act 3 you have everything you need to save her, but you can't because the game don't allow you to do that in current state. When BG3 has 17000 endings, I'm sure that at least one if you have a romance and if you complete the missing upper city quest should let you save her and live together somewhere in cottage in BG or elsewhere. When you don't care and play as evil, actual endings make complete sence, but not if you play a good character and do everything to save her. Not in game where almost everything should be possible

The cut content surrounding the Upper City as well. Hopefully we'll see more in the future.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 26/08/23 09:23 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Reincarnate - lvl 5 Druid spelll

"You touch a dead humanoid or a piece of a dead humanoid. Provided that the creature has been dead no longer than 10 days, the spell forms a new adult body for it and then calls the soul to enter that body.
If the target's soul isn't free or willing to do so, the spell fails."

I think Karlach, Gale and Tadpoles is why this spell isn't in the game...
It would instantly solve all problems.

Last edited by Edvin Black; 26/08/23 01:33 PM.
old hand
old hand
One "problem" with D&D is that there are so many ways to solve problems with magic, godly intervention, ancient knowledge, etc. In tabletop, this leads to many plans of mice and DMs going off the rails due to players pulling something unexpected out of their character sheets. DMs can compensate by using homebrew rules and settings; I suppose we can think of Larian as doing the same thing here. They're cutting off our options in order to tell the stories they want to tell (and to fit all of it into a video game).

R
Rae Offline
R
Of course there will be always a problem when you have scroll of resurrection in game, so you can tell, that you can resurrect a character after he dies lets say by normal death (and the game tells you it is a permanent death). But in this case you have solution prepared by the game (new heart), but you cannot use it.

N
stranger
stranger
N
I finished the game a week ago. I can't stop thinking about Karlachs endings and how they could be edited or expanded with another outcome.

Beside the different infernal irons ingame, the gondians and the foundry, there are these soulcoins. In my playthrough I've found 14 of them. In the dialogue with the one tiefling woman, who is attacked by a bugbear in the grove, the narrator tells (if the historycheck is successful) to the player, that these coins are very valuable to every demon and devil in the nine hells. My idea here is, when Mizora is showing up in camp after her rescue from the mindflayer colony, that we could ask her about the blueprints of the infernal machine and she want some of these coins as a price for that (and these offer is a "thank you for rescuing me" from her). With those blueprints we could go then into act III, meet Dammon, show him the blueprints and he tells us, that he need the gondians or the ironhands to aid him and some of the infernal iron and the superior infernal iron.

I'm not familiar with the d&d universe or any pnp-games, so I don't know if my idea is just daydreaming or a "realistic" solution for this kind of problem inside this world.

BG3 is an awesome game which has his flaws in the last act and I hope Larian will give it the final touch in the same way they did with DOS2. I have no problems with bittersweet endings or doomed characters like Thane from Mass Effect, but in some scenarios I want to get the chance of another outcome. Here as an example I take another character from Mass Effect again: Mordin Solus. Yes, it is the heroic decision to let him rescue the krogans in ME3 by sacrificing himself to fix the shroud. But even there, the player has the choice to convince him to join the fight and doom the krogans to extinction. It isn't an easy choice (and one I never have chosen till today) but it is there. So I would like to see a kind of similar possibility in this game for my favorite character.

Last edited by Noxxz; 27/08/23 03:28 AM.
G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Edvin Black
Reincarnate - lvl 5 Druid spelll

"You touch a dead humanoid or a piece of a dead humanoid. Provided that the creature has been dead no longer than 10 days, the spell forms a new adult body for it and then calls the soul to enter that body.
If the target's soul isn't free or willing to do so, the spell fails."

I think Karlach, Gale and Tadpoles is why this spell isn't in the game...
It would instantly solve all problems.

Meanwhile, in Gale's inventory...

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
In no way I try to fanboy defend the way it is, but
isnt Karlach emotional breakdown basically means to say she is done and better spend time doing things while she is still with us, rather than mourne?

Speaking of dropoffs. Im now obsessed with Minthara character. Not only she is the only paladin and I need a good reason for 2nd playthrough (never tried pala and want a fresh class expirience), but also quite interesting. But from what I gathered her romance is broken and doesnt work. So not only Im forced to side with filthy goblins, but lose 3-4 characters and a lot of content while she doesnt even provide much in return. Same problem here: I dont want us to force developers and writers into make THEIR game into our fanfic, but I really wish we could had her without such tremendous losses. And evil playthrough doesn offer an equal expirience or amount of content really too.

So what im trying to say Im dissapointed that after act 1 game falls apart and Karlach is just one example of it. Dont think it can be fixed considering how much work it would take, but Id rather have cut content restored than extra content and DLCs etc. May be it would fix all the problems game has including Karlach's personal quest, while also not turning the game into fanfic.

Last edited by Berseria; 27/08/23 06:29 AM.
stranger
stranger

I could not disagree more with this bad bad take.

I Unapologetically Unabashedly Deny ANY sad ending here. I'm sick of it, I'm not interested in it, and I'm doubly sick of people trying to claim there's any reason or value to having forced upon us. The game has enough trauma, I want the happy ending now.

I hope we do in fact end up coercing the devs to make the ending we want, especially if they were not planning on it originally. That's what listening to your fans means, that's what giving the people - who are buying your game - what they want means.

R
Rae Offline
R
In no way I try to fanboy defend the way it is, but
isnt Karlach emotional breakdown basically means to say she is done and better spend time doing things while she is still with us, rather than mourne?

Speaking of dropoffs. Im now obsessed with Minthara character. Not only she is the only paladin and I need a good reason for 2nd playthrough (never tried pala and want a fresh class expirience), but also quite interesting. But from what I gathered her romance is broken and doesnt work. So not only Im forced to side with filthy goblins, but lose 3-4 characters and a lot of content while she doesnt even provide much in return. Same problem here: I dont want us to force developers and writers into make THEIR game into our fanfic, but I really wish we could had her without such tremendous losses. And evil playthrough doesn offer an equal expirience or amount of content really too.

So what im trying to say Im dissapointed that after act 1 game falls apart and Karlach is just one example of it. Dont think it can be fixed considering how much work it would take, but Id rather have cut content restored than extra content and DLCs etc. May be it would fix all the problems game has including Karlach's personal quest, while also not turning the game into fanfic.

I think in this case the good outcome for Karlach was planned according all clues we have available, so this was probably a managers decisions to remove the content before release maybe due to major bugs/ incomplete work, than intention of tragic endings for her. And similar way was also applied for all removed content from Act3

So again lets hope for restoring all content back in the future and hope for good ending

Last edited by Rae; 27/08/23 09:24 AM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
I created an account simply to add my voice to the crowd. I made the mistake of watching the endings on Youtube while I was away on a work trip. The endings overall feel incomplete, but the options for Karlach in particular are terrible. I decided to romance Karlach during my initial playthough. Knowing what happens has completely killed my interest in finishing the game. I really hope we'll see some further development from Larian.

Page 16 of 157 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 156 157

Link Copied to Clipboard