Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#877341 09/08/23 01:42 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Shove is overpowered non-sense, and is simply a dumb design choice on an otherwise brilliant game. I have seen multiple forums on this, and the fact it remains is just laughable. It really pulls me out of the game, watching my character fly over 30 ft (10 m) over a cliff when I should be nowhere near an instant kill zone. I know people will say, "Just shove the enemy", but that is not a good answer as you lose all the loot. Being a loot goblin is a valid major playstyle in games. Please reduce shove to 5 ft like it is in the TTRPG and make it a full-action like it is in 5e. This homebrew breaks not only the combat entirely, but feels bad to the player. This is a simple fix really, so please please please do it. q

M
stranger
stranger
M
Shove already was a big complain in Early Acess, so this is a known issue and annoyance. It even got toned down quite a bit. I remember my first EA playthrough where the AI would constantly used shove as a bonus action because why not. There also was a Mod making shove finally a normal action. I'm really irritated to this day that Larian ignored this complain. Make it a normal action would change it big time in a positive way.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Shove already was a big complain in Early Acess, so this is a known issue and annoyance. It even got toned down quite a bit. I remember my first EA playthrough where the AI would constantly used shove as a bonus action because why not. There also was a Mod making shove finally a normal action. I'm really irritated to this day that Larian ignored this complain. Make it a normal action would change it big time in a positive way.

*sry double post cause of forum stability*

Last edited by Mendon; 09/08/23 07:49 PM.
veteran
veteran
At this point I don't even care about it being a Bonus Action.

It's the ridiculous distance, and the lethal falls everywhere.

journeyman
journeyman
+1

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
At this point, If there was a toggle to just turn it off, that would do a world of good.

veteran
veteran
We have Pushing Attack, Repelling Blast, Thunderwave, Gust of Wind, Glyph of Warding: Detonate, Telekinesis, Monk's Open Hand and 4 Elements push abilities, those dumb thunder arrows, Potions of Giant Strength.... all of which legitimately have more than a 5ft push. All of which cost resources to use for a reason. All of which have been made far less impressive because of a Bonus Action that pushes 30ft. How cool would an Open Hand Monk be if everyone couldn't already shove enemies ridiculously long distances?

Why are these proper pushing abilities not enough for Larian? Doesn't the joke of constantly slapping enemies long distances over ledges or getting your party members insta-killed as a side effect of fighting, ever get old?

enthusiast
enthusiast
This should still be one of the biggest issues but it seems most ppl have resignated...

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I think most people engaged enough with the rules to voice their opinions here are also aware there's a "combat actions" mod that fixes it.

Everyone else who don't care that much is just trying to get as many sex scenes into chapter 1 as possible and don't mind a little shoving.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
This should still be one of the biggest issues but it seems most ppl have resignated...

Well... I'm actually using a mod to deal with issues like Shove or other "fun" Larian homebrew stuff.

veteran
veteran
Is it still a thing? What difficulty are you guys playing?

In my playthrough (normal difficulty) enemies almost entirely stopped shoving. They attempt everyonce in a while, but it is neither common nor effective. As such, I have been able to mostly ignore the skill, and use it myself only when it felt appropriate.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kendaric
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil

Well... I'm actually using a mod to deal with issues like Shove or other "fun" Larian homebrew stuff.

I will certainly mod this too but larian should be aware of how much that impacts the core D&D rules. Like this the combat does not work as intended in those rules. They added their "larian fun stuff" so it feels more like DOS or whyever.

I have no issues usually but changing parts of a given ruleset changes the whole way those rules work. You can easily break a game like that and they did. With shove as it is it invalidates a lot of other abilites. Jump is the same. It just sucks to see it.

It probably is time to start modding...:(

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Tactics, people, tactics... Hit and run if your character has a low acrobatics score, or attack from range. Watch your positioning.

old hand
old hand
Does not bother me much. I played parts of Act 1 and most of Act 2 on Tactician and was shoved to death once (boat on Underdark river, a classical) while I shoved once too, a goblin in the temple, to try it.

But tastes matter, If you are so annoyed, take consequences. I'm really annoyed by Larian's riddle ridden quest design, a curse I already knew from D:OS 2 which hit me fully at least at the start of Act 3. So both RPGs of the beloved producer might remain unfinished by me. Stop playing if you don't like game core features, because frankly said, it will not be changed just because you or me don't like it. Instaed I'm glad that Jagged Alliance 3 is around and Starfield soon releasing, I don't care about BG3 that much. Seek similar distraction.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SaveScummer
Tactics, people, tactics... Hit and run if your character has a low acrobatics score, or attack from range. Watch your positioning.
As I said I had no issues in 1.0, but in EA, the only valid tactics was push/kill enemy before they push you - unless you hugged a wall for the entirety of the engagement which isn't fun.

Push being a bonus action means that an enemy can dash and push you in the same turn. In the past - in fact moving away from enemy used to make it more likely for them to push - I have been ranged characters dash from their elevated position only to push a fighter on the other side of the battlefield.

And yes, buffing everyones athletics does help to prevent it - maybe that's why I don't have issues in 1.0. I even chose entertainer background for my bard just to get proficiency in athletics, even though it wouldn't be my roleplaying choice. Maybe that's why I haven't seen many shoves - it's been my proprity no. 1 during character creation.

Still it is not a good implementation of the mechanic, though I can't claim it's been happening to me in my current playthrough. I can't say I have been enjoying the combat though. Rather than tightening the design, Larian's solution seemed to be to make the combat very easy.

veteran
veteran
Don't you just love it when your characters on Tactician difficulty have 20AC and the Duergar miss all main attacks, but then on their bonus attack they just shove you off the boat for the LULZ? Good times.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What makes things even worse is that the boats do not have any actual colision for being shoved, so positioning and character weight do not matter as you will fall right through the boat. Once that fat ass of a duergar finds himself on your boat, you have a single turn to CC him or it's instant death for one of your party members. Even Lae'zel with 20AC/18STR got shoved off with Atlhetics proficiency. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Can't stay on your own boat or you'll get shoved either by your own mind-controlled party member or one of the two fat ass Duergars that decide to jump onto your boat.
  • Can't jump on their boat because any Duergar will immediately try to shove you off.
  • Can't shove them off because you'll lose the uniques the fat bastard is carrying.

However the absolute dumbassery of the shoving script revealed itself to me in full display when the Duergar archer from the ramparts above during the Nere fight dashed and ran all the way down to shove people into the lava. Despite her having access to Hunter's mark, special arrows, extra attack and advantage, she decided to just dash and shove... on Tactician difficulty of all things.

Grymforge is unfortunately the most extremely cancerous shove-city, but outside of that I basically never ever see shove being used.

M
M
To be honest, the AI is pretty bad, I can't tell you how many archer took a shot at me and then moved to a higher position - in that order.

Shoving by enemy hasn't been as bad as I expected it would be, but it happens.

Duergar love it, both in the Forge and on the boat. Act III temple of Bhaal cultists when they do the weird test. Undead in Balthazar fight.

Worst thing is that there is effectively very little to do against it, since obvious defenses don't work. Even Fly offers zero protection. That the AI doesn't do it more often feels like the game being merciful.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Another fun thing is that in some battles the enemies you shove off return instantly, yet if your chars get pushed off it's death for them. Most annoying if you are wild shaped into something that can fly or have fly spell active. Levitate too. I want to come back at least in those cases.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Shove is hilarious, and at this point its as iconic to the game as barrelmancy is to dos2, it should not be changed under any circumstances

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mouthbreathereli
Shove is hilarious, and at this point its as iconic to the game as barrelmancy is to dos2, it should not be changed under any circumstances

Glad you like it.

The problem is not about it beein hilarious but about it breaking the 5e combat rules. That, it seems, is what larian does not want to accept exactly because they and people like you put the "hilarious" factor over the functionality of the system. That makes me sad.

The downdsides to what you call "fun" have been explained in a lot of threads. Including proof.

Last edited by UnknownEvil; 29/08/23 05:16 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard