Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
S
Originally Posted by Milkfred
Well, why is everyone so happy to accept a badly researched and unsourced list as gospel? Why did it spread like wildfire? Those are the questions people, including Larian themselves, should be asking.

Indeed. Seems people are missing something.

Although it's not very convincing when the community update states the upper city was never meant to be freely explorable (because why wouldn't it be?!), I agree with Ixal here

Originally Posted by Ixal
the large quality drop in act 3 [...] is about the pacing and narrative which falls apart which gets blamed on cut content

I'm all for cutting content if it improves the story. For example the whole side quest
about the underground dragon (including the revelation that the Emperor used to be Balduran)
could have been cut for all I care, because it doesn't add anything to the story imo.

What I'm missing really are good resolutions / closures for different story threads. For example
when freeing Orpheus with the Emperor around, first I have have to go through the whole why-don't-you-trust-me-after-all-I-did-for-you dialoge with the Emperor again although at that point it's well-established that he's a manipulative lying bastard. And after dealing with him it's just "we need a mindflayer for the job who is it going to be? You (PC) or me (Orpheus)?" And then Orpheus transforms into a mindflayer spontaneously (without a tadpole in his head) and all I can say is "You're a true hero!" That's laughable. Especially after all the built up and anticipation around Orpheus as antagonist to Vlaakith (who got quite an entry in contrast.)

Anyway, all in all I enjoyed the game a lot, but I feel like SiriusVI. This could have been literature.

Originally Posted by SiriusVI
It's so frustrating, because all the stars were alligned for BG3 to be a masterpiece of a game, a true work of art. Such an opportunity does not come very often, and for now, I feel like it's gone.

Last edited by Staunton; 31/08/23 09:23 AM.

- You are one of us now. - Yes, I suppose I am.
A
A
Also, yeah, that. This is a game about cutscenes and talking to people in cutscenes. Acting as if people wouldn't want several minutes of cutscenes at the end is another reason why people aren't really accepting the response because it implies that Larian doesn't understand what the audience wants or why they play a game like BG3.

Couldn't put it better myself. I mean, you literally watch cutscenes for 1/3 of a game, all dialogs are cinematic. And then at the end of (in my case 90 hours) playthrough you get punched in the face with a pitiful short epilogue for a memorable adventure? I know the attention span is short nowadays, but surely we can manage 10 minutes cinematic closure to tie the loose ends.

M
M
Originally Posted by Dagless
Please stop trying to defend the indefensible. Its very obvious that the upper city was intended, starting from Larians own words from 2 months ago about exploring it, to the very questionable placement of NPCs and entrances in act 3, to the many leads into the upper city that remain in the game to, yes, datamined content that shows quest trigger for the upper city for quests that are quite clearly missing as it concerns companions.

I see. And do you have a source for these upper city quest triggers? Or should I just accept this on faith, like the above list?

If they're thinking about the same ones I am, someone posted them in the big Reddit comment thread on the Community Update. I think it was several lines that indicated there was an Upper City map distinct from Lower City and from the ending gauntlet 'Upper City.'

enthusiast
enthusiast
Please stop trying to defend the indefensible. Its very obvious that the upper city was intended, starting from Larians own words from 2 months ago about exploring it, to the very questionable placement of NPCs and entrances in act 3, to the many leads into the upper city that remain in the game to, yes, datamined content that shows quest trigger for the upper city for quests that are quite clearly missing as it concerns companions.

I see. And do you have a source for these upper city quest triggers? Or should I just accept this on faith, like the above list?

If they're thinking about the same ones I am, someone posted them in the big Reddit comment thread on the Community Update. I think it was several lines that indicated there was an Upper City map distinct from Lower City and from the ending gauntlet 'Upper City.'

I'll file that under hearsay, thanks.

M
M

It was conclusive enough that a dataminer who was arguing there was no evidence for the Upper City in the files ended up admitting that there was some evidence. It matched the code used for triggers to enter area maps such as Moonrise. So, a little more than hearsay. It was something like BG3_LOWER_A, BG3_END_A, BG3_UPPER_A, BG3_UPPERCRYPT_A. Lower is the city as is, End being the climax location, and Upper not corresponding to any location in the game as is. Not exactly a map full of content, sure, but evidence of something.

Last edited by Milkfred; 30/08/23 01:55 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by Heisdarkness
Can someone explain to me how Larian is any better then all the other horrible modern gaming developers? Let me make a comparison with Cyberpunk 2077. The biggest issue with that game is that it over promised and underdelivered with huge game features missing ranging from story, side quests, police interactivity and more. To my understanding Larian has done exactly the same thing here. Larian stated a fully explorable upper city in community update #19 which they now confirmed was a lie, they discussed 17,000 permutations for the ending which we now know is ALSO a lie. Karlach's ending not being happy is not the issue (not entirely) it's that is was literally impossible to finish! Because her quest ended in the upper city... Overall Larian overpromised and underdelivered and to be quite honest I feel scammed out of my money. Yes, there are parts of the game that are good, yes I believe they will iron out the bugs, HOWEVEAR could you imagine buying any other product on the planet and having key features of it not in it when you purchase it that were previously advertised!? That is my rant and that Larian should not be praised for their level of DISHONESTY, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Agree. But compared to CP BG3 is a much better game. CP is boring with a dead city more a movie than a game. But you are right. So i would be glad if they bring a DLC with more content (even cut content).

veteran
veteran
Clearly, the audience can tell that *something* is missing in Act III.

Whether it was cut or the last act of the game is unsatisfying for the community is almost irrelevant. The narrative threads were set up well. Extremely well. But they're not paying off in the current iteration.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that there are writers on the staff who had to compromise some narrative vision for one reason or another, and that turned out to be a mistake.

enthusiast
enthusiast

It was conclusive enough that a dataminer who was arguing there was no evidence for the Upper City in the files ended up admitting that there was some evidence. It matched the code used for triggers to enter area maps such as Moonrise. So, a little more than hearsay. It was something like BG3_LOWER_A, BG3_END_A, BG3_UPPER_A, BG3_UPPERCRYPT_A. Lower is the city as is, End being the climax location, and Upper not corresponding to any location in the game as is. Not exactly a map full of content, sure, but evidence of something.

I assume you mean this comment by theredwoman95 and subsequent conversation?

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/164tswd/comment/jyakfb3/

If so is there any reason you omitted the tiny little detail that the location tags are from almost 3 years ago? All the other dataminer (Gattman) “ends up admitting”, is that there was likely an upper city area at least considered in early development. They suggest it was likely removed when smaller regions of the city were combined into larger ones, but that is really just speculation.

That is very very different from the claims that the upper city was a complete separate zone in addition to what we got being cut from the game at the very last minute. There appears to be no evidence of that at all, and it doesn’t even sound feasible to me. They’d be mad to make changes of that scale a couple of weeks out from launch.

So all we really seem to have on this upper city business is that misleading quote from Sven. God knows what possessed him to say that, but I’m sure he regrets it now.

Unless anyone has anything more concrete?

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by JandK
Clearly, the audience can tell that *something* is missing in Act III.

Whether it was cut or not, the last act of the game is unsatisfying for the community is almost irrelevant. The narrative threads were set up well. Extremely well. But they're not paying off in the current iteration.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that there are writers on the staff who had to compromise some narrative vision for one reason or another, and that turned out to be a mistake.

I agree. It ultimately doesn’t matter why the end result is unsatisfying. Whether the original artistic vision was bad or whether the original artistic vision was changed to meet a release deadline doesn’t matter. What matters is whether the game, as it is, feels satisfying. Data mining is just an attempt to figure out why certain aspects of the game feel unsatisfying.

It doesn’t matter when cuts and revisions were made. It doesn’t matter whether the content that was cut was finished or well done. Ad hominem attacks against data miners will not improve anyone’s gaming experience.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Hag Coven content was cut. Ethel's letters to her sisters in Baldur's Gate are STILL IN THE GAME. Yet you encounter no hag coven, but only Ethel. Same for Myreena's brothers. They didn't get killed in my playthrough, but they never reappeared in the Lower City.

You also never encounter the Gondians after rescuing their family in the Iron Throne and freeing them at the Steelwatch Foundry, because they're meant to reside in the House of Wonders in the Upper City, but the Upper City is cut.

There is also a random Flaming Fist that gives a speech in the final battle, but throughout the entire Act 3 the Flaming Fist are hostile mercenaries that never truly are interacted with and convinced to come to your side against Gortash.

There is not a single Harper remaining after Orin kills the contingent in Baldur's Gate, somehow the few we know remain all at Moonrise Towers. The Harpers storyline for Jaheira just goes cold.

Minsc is recruited way too late into the game. As a result, he really has no story whatsoever besides the joke that you rescue him after he got randomly tadpoled by Bhaalists. Very undercooked.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Hag Coven content was cut. Ethel's letters to her sisters in Baldur's Gate are STILL IN THE GAME. Yet you encounter no hag coven, but only Ethel. Same for Myreena's brothers. They didn't get killed in my playthrough, but they never reappeared in the Lower City.

You also never encounter the Gondians after rescuing their family in the Iron Throne and freeing them at the Steelwatch Foundry, because they're meant to reside in the House of Wonders in the Upper City, but the Upper City is cut.

There is also a random Flaming Fist that gives a speech in the final battle, but throughout the entire Act 3 the Flaming Fist are hostile mercenaries that never truly are interacted with and convinced to come to your side against Gortash.

There is not a single Harper remaining after Orin kills the contingent in Baldur's Gate, somehow the few we know remain all at Moonrise Towers. The Harpers storyline for Jaheira just goes cold.

Minsc is recruited way too late into the game. As a result, he really has no story whatsoever besides the joke that you rescue him after he got randomly tadpoled by Bhaalists. Very undercooked.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I see a lot of complaints about the upper city being cut and hopefully being readded.

I don't see how this could reasonably happen. You already hit level cap going into Act III pretty quickly with a lot of remaining content. If they added the upper city, you'd spend way too long capped out, but if they raise the cap, it breaks the balance of the ending.

They could make it post-ending content,
but the city was heavily damaged in the ending, so existing assets would have to be changed. It also doesn't resolve that you can end the game controlling the brain and other massively altering finishes.
The only way would be to alter the approach to the ending if you do upper city content, but that is a lot of work and unlikely IMO.

I just don't see a path for this being re-added. IMO I'd much rather see Avernus, it seems more viable.

Originally Posted by Firesong
Well, yes, sad to see the game was frontloaded.

This is my biggest complaint with the game.

Act I is amazing, but Act II is _WAY_ too short. Not necessarily in length, but in the amount of available content and exp. They made a comment a few days ago saying that was by design, but the problem with that design philosophy is that it basically forces you to do everything in Act I so you are leveled appropriately for Act II and III. IMO this kills replayability, because every time you play a new run, you don't have much choice in skipping content in Act I or Act II. IMO you shouldn't have to repeat every quest and mission line every time solely to reach appropriate levels.

If you skip missions or content in Act I, there is no room for catchup in Act II and, again, forces you to do everything in Act II. It isn't until Act III where you get the chance to pick what content you want to do and skip some of the missions to reach level cap. If you reach Act III at too low of a level, there is no way of doing this either because you'd be way too low level. It really frontloads the game.

What's frustrating about this post and list is that it seems there was more for both Act I and II available, but it was cut and a lot of content was kept in Act III. I think it should have been more balanced out and spread out.

Last edited by Shinook; 30/08/23 05:16 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kind_Flayer
I agree. It ultimately doesn’t matter why the end result is unsatisfying. Whether the original artistic vision was bad or whether the original artistic vision was changed to meet a release deadline doesn’t matter. What matters is whether the game, as it is, feels satisfying. Data mining is just an attempt to figure out why certain aspects of the game feel unsatisfying.

It doesn’t matter when cuts and revisions were made. It doesn’t matter whether the content that was cut was finished or well done. Ad hominem attacks against data miners will not improve anyone’s gaming experience.

Disagree. It makes a massive difference to what comes next, and people’s expectations about what comes next. Particularly since Larian have confirmed they will keep working on it (to some extent at least).

At one end of the scale, there could be things that Larian fully intended to be in release, are close to being complete, but cut for time or technical reasons at the last minute. In which case, it would be feasible to finish off and they would likely want to do so.

At the other end, we have rough ideas, never really developed and dropped long ago because Larian thought it didn’t work. ie “content” they decided was bad, waa not properly developed in the first place and will never ever see the light of day.

Or anything in between those extremes.

Z
addict
addict
Z

U
enthusiast
enthusiast
U
I wrote my own thread on this tpic, because I felt this one was to clogged, and wouldnt be seen. So of course it got locked.

Here is what I wrote in it

"I just read the update, and I know there has been a lot of discourse surrounding so-called cut content. And I get the sense from the folks at Larian are... a bit upset at the reaction to it, not in the angry way, but in such a way that they feel sad at peoples reactions toward it.

I want to offer a different perspective on how this discussion should be views, because when you get deep into the content of these discussions... the topic of, what I will call "Unrealized Content" is less contentious and critical than it may seem on the surface.

There are areas in the game people feel are lacking, and the existence of this unrealized content gives them hope that those areas of the game will be bolstered in oncoming updates. And people are thus actually excited about the cut content, because they dont want Larian to have to do more work than they have to do.

AS well a lot of the unrealized content in the game could be used as a basis for DLC, presuming that the datamined content is only the tip of the ice berg... people are practically giddy at the possibility that work on what could become DLC is already done on some level.

People arent being angry or critical, look at the reactions to the Unrealized Avernus content in particular, almost everyone directly addressing that content utilized for DLC instead of being re-introduced via a patch or anything. Heck even many people talking about the upper city think it would make good DLC.

Bottom line, is that... when the criticisms are primarily, that people want more... its not the end of the world. Its really tempting to see the conversation as purely critical, but I promise if you read what people have to say, and even talk to them... you will see there is excitement there to.

(also peoples problems with the Karlach endings, are not their lack of poignancy... and the epilogue could be 5 hours long for all anyone cares)"

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Disagree. It makes a massive difference to what comes next, and people’s expectations about what comes next. Particularly since Larian have confirmed they will keep working on it (to some extent at least).

At one end of the scale, there could be things that Larian fully intended to be in release, are close to being complete, but cut for time or technical reasons at the last minute. In which case, it would be feasible to finish off and they would likely want to do so.

At the other end, we have rough ideas, never really developed and dropped long ago because Larian thought it didn’t work. ie “content” they decided was bad, waa not properly developed in the first place and will never ever see the light of day.

People who are currently playing the game or who have already completed the game do not benefit from whatever comes next. We have no idea what Larian views as being worth the time and effort to change or when those changes might be implemented (beyond what was announced in Community Update #24).

If you really care to figure out what content was cut, you should just do your own datamining. All data mining claims are verifiable.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by urktheturtle
"I just read the update, and I know there has been a lot of discourse surrounding so-called cut content. And I get the sense from the folks at Larian are... a bit upset at the reaction to it, not in the angry way, but in such a way that they feel sad at peoples reactions toward it.

I want to offer a different perspective on how this discussion should be views, because when you get deep into the content of these discussions... the topic of, what I will call "Unrealized Content" is less contentious and critical than it may seem on the surface.

There are areas in the game people feel are lacking, and the existence of this unrealized content gives them hope that those areas of the game will be bolstered in oncoming updates. And people are thus actually excited about the cut content, because they dont want Larian to have to do more work than they have to do.

AS well a lot of the unrealized content in the game could be used as a basis for DLC, presuming that the datamined content is only the tip of the ice berg... people are practically giddy at the possibility that work on what could become DLC is already done on some level.

People arent being angry or critical, look at the reactions to the Unrealized Avernus content in particular, almost everyone directly addressing that content utilized for DLC instead of being re-introduced via a patch or anything. Heck even many people talking about the upper city think it would make good DLC.

Bottom line, is that... when the criticisms are primarily, that people want more... its not the end of the world. Its really tempting to see the conversation as purely critical, but I promise if you read what people have to say, and even talk to them... you will see there is excitement there to.

(also peoples problems with the Karlach endings, are not their lack of poignancy... and the epilogue could be 5 hours long for all anyone cares)"

I’m sure you’re right, at least for many people, but what if much of this content never actually existed in the first place? Then you have lots of people getting excited about stuff they think can be implemented with a relatively small amount of effort when really Larian would have to make it from stratch (not the dog).

Avernus is a good example of this, because as far I can see, the rumour of an Avernus level seems to originate from this list. Maybe the author of that list got it from somewhere else, maybe there is actually evidence, or maybe they misunderstood something someone else found, or maybe they completely made it up. Bit hard to tell when they didn’t bother to say exactly where they got their information from or exactly what was supposedly found.

Now we have the likes of Screenrant jumping on the bandwagon:

https://screenrant.com/baldurs-gate-3-cut-content-bg3/#having-exhausted-as-a-status-condition

Their source for these claims? Just the same Reddit post, which laughably had already been removed by moderators before they put this article on their site.

I’d have thought a well known entertainment website should know better than to blindly accept what random people say on Reddit, but apparently not. That’s real sloppy journalism.

enthusiast
enthusiast

People who are currently playing the game or who have already completed the game do not benefit from whatever comes next. We have no idea what Larian views as being worth the time and effort to change or when those changes might be implemented (beyond what was announced in Community Update #24).

If you really care to figure out what content was cut, you should just do your own datamining. All data mining claims are verifiable.

Interesting take. This forum is full of people making suggestions on what they would like to see changed. I’m guessing that the majority have played or are currently playing the game. But whatever Larian do with the game is of no benefit to them? Really?

Do you tell people who believe all the claims in this list that they should datamine it themselves, or just people who say we should be careful about unsourced information? I’m not the one spreading rumours around the internet.

H
stranger
stranger
H

Interesting take. This forum is full of people making suggestions on what they would like to see changed. I’m guessing that the majority have played or are currently playing the game. But whatever Larian do with the game is of no benefit to them? Really?

Do you tell people who believe all the claims in this list that they should datamine it themselves, or just people who say we should be careful about unsourced information? I’m not the one spreading rumours around the internet.

I see you commenting in here a lot basically denying everything. Check community update #19 yourself and you will see that they did in fact talk about being able to explore the upper city. They lied two weeks before release and said nothing 1. Secondly this is a very disgusting bait and switch tactic and before you say "oh how many people wouldn't have bought the game if they knew this???" obviously enough to scare them into lying so they could preserve their sales... stop defending bad behavior and have some self-respect.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Heisdarkness
I see you commenting in here a lot basically denying everything. Check community update #19 yourself and you will see that they did in fact talk about being able to explore the upper city. They lied two weeks before release and said nothing 1. Secondly this is a very disgusting bait and switch tactic and before you say "oh how many people wouldn't have bought the game if they knew this???" obviously enough to scare them into lying so they could preserve their sales... stop defending bad behavior and have some self-respect.

I’m not defending anything. My entire point thoughout this thread has simply been- how reliable is the information in this list that’s been posted around the internet? Where are the sources? What was actually found?

What Sven said about the upper city was clearly wrong. At least misleading if not outright false. If there ever was an upper city zone explorable before the very end, I have a very hard time believing it was cut two week before launch. So maybe it wasn’t developed in the first place? Do we actually have anything concrete to go on besides what Sven said?

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard