Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Staunton
Like others I would have liked to see respec to be more expensive at least in tactician mode. On higher levels it's basically for free now. I too think a fee depending on the character level could have worked nicely.

I love the feature as such, you can save, try and play around with different builds and decide what works best. Also reinventing your character at a certain point seems fair, Withers has certainly the power to do so. But like for others, for me too it would be more meaningful and, yes, more fun if this powerful feature came at a higher cost.

Anyway, as people have embraced respec as a regular game mechanic by now, it can't be simply changed anymore. So I hope for more fine-grained difficulty settings / modes in the future that offer respec for a significant cost.
On tactician, it makes sense for respec to cost at least as much as restoring your oath.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Severance
Hello,
I’ll keep it short, please redesign the respec in the game. I feel like the respec for 100g, makes choices about lvling up irrelevant. I can spam respec after every fight. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that the option is that readily available.

I am not saying to remove the option completely but at least make it have an increasing cost when using the option!!!…
(Especially for harder difficulties) Thank you for your time.
You don't have to do that. It's your decision whether you use it, so what's the problem?

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Beechams
Originally Posted by FreeTheSlaves
I just don't see the great advantage for the time spent respec'cing. What am I missing?

That respeccing only takes a couple of minutes?

That's only in Act 1! That's weak as, not even power gaming. What respeccing Gale to get an extra Misty step and Scorching ray? Come on, that's sad.

The real powergaming of it is in late Act 2 and Act 3 when you've got lots of levels to multi-class around with, and tons of items for combos. You almost need to write it all down.

I did have the items for Astarion the assassin 12 and Astarion the eldritch knight 12. 20 minutes easy, if I had respecced.

stranger
stranger
Two changes to the current game would make this more appealing.
1. outline of what classes get at each level. A lot of people want this anyway. But until we get that, there is no reason to make respecing so expensive
2. Allow spell changes without respeccing. Yeah, I get that's not how it works in D&D, but it's painfully stupid to have to do a full respec to change a single spell. Many don't even want a full respec because you have to remember every other spell/ability/feat you picked to change one skill.

S
S
Maybe a more meaningful way of providing respec would be to allow to roll back a selectable amount of levels from a character's current progression while making it increasingly harder / more costly the more levels you want to go back.

It would make it relatively easy to change a warlock spell at any time by respeccing only the last level or chose a different path for an origin character at the very beginning of the game, but it would be hard to change a full blown lvl 10 fighter/bababarian into a bardlock for example. The further you want to go back in time the harder it gets.

Usually you don't even want to revert the whole build, but just the last few levels. So this would present a quality of life improvement too.

It would feel less like a respec mod but rather like an integral part of the game mechanics this way.

Last edited by Staunton; 04/09/23 02:11 PM.

- You are one of us now. - Yes, I suppose I am.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
On my initial playthrough, I completely missed the 'explore the ruins' quest. To my surprise, Withers showed up at my camp offering respec services and hirelings for a mere sum of gold. At first, it felt like an added mod, but I later discovered he's an integral part of the storyline.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Clowntje
On my initial playthrough, I completely missed the 'explore the ruins' quest. To my surprise, Withers showed up at my camp offering respec services and hirelings for a mere sum of gold. At first, it felt like an added mod, but I later discovered he's an integral part of the storyline.
I guess you could say he joined your camp Wither without your input.

stranger
stranger
Bro, how is this even a conversation? Just...don't respec? Don't talk to Withers at all? The option is so out of your way that you have to have INTENT to respec to even accidentally click the option.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Originally Posted by Interitus
Two changes to the current game would make this more appealing.
1. outline of what classes get at each level. A lot of people want this anyway. But until we get that, there is no reason to make respecing so expensive
2. Allow spell changes without respeccing. Yeah, I get that's not how it works in D&D, but it's painfully stupid to have to do a full respec to change a single spell. Many don't even want a full respec because you have to remember every other spell/ability/feat you picked to change one skill.

The problem with point 2 is that it's a major defining feature between wizards and sorcerors.

Arcane casters in Larian's system are nerfed in various ways, but that applies to both sorcs and wizards. Wizards, however, are even further nerfed in COMPARISON to sorcs by several factors:

1. First, just the fact that a bunch of spells simply aren't implemented. That makes the wizard's advantage of spell diversity less valuable.
2. Second, the fact that this is a computer game and therefore inherently much more combat-focused. A big advantage wizards have over sorcs is just how much utility they bring to the table. In BG3 they miss out on that because BG3 is *nowhere near* as flexible as a tabletop session.
3. Everyone can use scrolls; aka anyone can access the wizard's main strength, *spellcasting diversity.* This dilutes both the sorceror and the wizard's uniqueness, but it hits the wizard far more.
4. The current ease of sorceror respeccing is ALREADY a humongous buff to them. They can essentially (especially at higher levels where the cost becomes trivial) swap out their spell set at will. The only difference between wizard and sorceror right now is really that it's a bit more of a nuisance for the sorceror.
5. For some reason, Larian decided to grant sorcerors their 14th level special abilities at 12th level, while not really making any equivalent exchange for wizards.

In other words, due to a combination of the limits of video games and some (poor, imo) homebrew decisions on Larian's part, the advantage that wizards hold over sorcerors is already paper thin; letting them swap out spells without even the nuisance of a respec would destroy it entirely.

However, I hear your pain. I never liked the system sorcerors had, personally, where if they were a newer player just not as familiar with the effectiveness of certain spells, they were essentially locked into the same spell set until they leveled (and even then could only swap out 1.) I think there can be a solution.

First: Give sorcerors some LIMITED daily ability to swap out spells. Once per long rest, they can swap out a single spell. This would allow them a limited ability to ditch bad spells without going through the nuisance of a full respec.
However, this doesn't change the problem that a respec is cheap and easy, still, and essentially means that sorcerors can have the exact same flexibility as wizards, just with a little more effort (trivial gold exchange and however long it takes to load camp.)

So I think that something easy that can be given to wizards is: they just have access to MORE spells than sorcerors. TO a degree, this is already true. Not every spell on the wizard list is on the sorceror list. And there are already some scroll-only spells in act 3, with wizards the only ones able to copy those down for repeated use. But give them some more, and have them in every act. They don't have to be crazy, either. How about a version of fireball that does radiant damage instead of fire? Potentially useful in certain situations. Larian could even take a look at implementing some version of the OneDND spell creation system that allows wizards to create personalized versions of their spells. But even if they don't, I think sprinkling in some scroll-only versions of spells, that only wizards could cast multiple times, would help give them something unique in comparison to sorcerors. I wouldn't mind them keeping the cheap respec, then.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Hard No, but unlike some others, I'll explain why:

1) This is my first Larian game so I'm not familiar with how they like to do things. I don't want to waste 20 hours doing something a certain way only to find out it won't work later on.

2) My DM in our TT game wants his players to have FUN. That being said, if they make a bad decision making or leveling their character and want to change it, he allows it within reason (same class/race choices etc).

3) As much as I enjoy a game where choices have consequences, I firmly believe that this should apply to the STORY but not the MECHANICS. Example: During my current playthrough, I wasted more time doing things as I wanted, rather than doing them when they came up in the game. As a result, there were some tragic deaths that I had prevented in earlier playthroughs. THOSE are the consequences that I want...not 'you need to restart your 40-hour game experience because you didn't take the right subclass'.

S
S
Just stumbled upon something over at bg3.wiki. Didn't try it, but seems you can use respec to farm legendary maces from divine intervention / arm the servant.

If you respec your cleric, the Devotee's Mace does not go away. If you have multiple cleric characters, or use Withers to respec a character who otherwise would not be a cleric, you can get multiple copies of the Devotee's Mace.

Exploit or FUN?

Just kidding. Seems like people are of the opinion that respeccing is outside of any regular game mechanics anyway (like save/reload is) and everyone just has to put on their DM hat to decide how and when it's okay for them to use it. In that sense it would be better even if the cost was reduced to 1 gold, so that changes to the classes/ability scores of companions are easy at the beginning of the game too (in case you want to play an origin character differently.)

Still, I think with a powerful NPC like withers respec could be provided in a way that feels more like regular game mechanics. (And personally I don't enjoy much putting on the DM hat while playing tbh.)

B
stranger
stranger
B
Immersion wise it definitely takes you out of the game paying 100GP for no reason. In concept it is fine, in execution I find it weirdly implemented (immersion wise).

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Beechams
I just don't see the great advantage for the time spent respec'cing. What am I missing?

That respeccing only takes a couple of minutes?

That's only in Act 1! That's weak as, not even power gaming. What respeccing Gale to get an extra Misty step and Scorching ray? Come on, that's sad.

The real powergaming of it is in late Act 2 and Act 3 when you've got lots of levels to multi-class around with, and tons of items for combos. You almost need to write it all down.

I did have the items for Astarion the assassin 12 and Astarion the eldritch knight 12. 20 minutes easy, if I had respecced.

Why does it have to be about power gaming? For me anyone still doing major respecs at level 12 is either sad or a bad player. You chose not to so how is respeccing a problem?
Just because you are frightened of having to write down something doesn't mean everybody is. If you think through what you are going to do, or perish the though, write down your idea then the actual respeccing takes a couple of minutes.

S
S
To me respeccing and dumping Constitution after receiving the
Amulet of Greater Health (at level 12) was more tempting than anything that Daisy, The Emperor or The Absolute ever had to offer. I can't be the only one.

Imo respeccing is dumb. Completely removes choice and consequence, which is noticably absent everywhere in this game after all that talk..

This is exactly why respeccing is dumb. Oh well..

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Surge90sf
Imo respeccing is dumb. Completely removes choice and consequence, which is noticably absent everywhere in this game after all that talk..
You choose whether to respec so no choice has been removed, rather a choice has been added. The consequence of respeccing a character is a better or worse character. I agree about Larian talking choice but not really delivering in the game generally.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Used respec for the first time after getting Minsc. You practically have to, unless you want “big dumb wall-busting” Minsc to be DEX and WIS based with strength as a dump stat lmao. Did Larian just give him default Ranger stats???

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Used respec for the first time after getting Minsc. You practically have to, unless you want “big dumb wall-busting” Minsc to be DEX and WIS based with strength as a dump stat lmao. Did Larian just give him default Ranger stats???
It looks that way. I respecced Minsc too, didn't make sense with this high wisdom.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Staunton
To me respeccing and dumping Constitution after receiving the
Amulet of Greater Health (at level 12) was more tempting than anything that Daisy, The Emperor or The Absolute ever had to offer. I can't be the only one.
It can get even worse than that!

Add the guantlets of Str, I was tempted to respec my paladin to Str8 and Con8. The wieniest paladin you'd ever meet hulking everyone out.

Larian should automatically give your character the halfling body type if you do that. You keep your MC's face of course and get the munchkin achievement.

Last edited by FreeTheSlaves; 07/09/23 05:44 PM.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard