Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
After running perfectly fine for two weeks since I installed BG3, yesterday's patch ruined things completely (I'm currently in Act 2). Before patch I could easily run the game with Vulkan on Ultra for 12-15 hours straight without any issues whatsoever, but after the patch, my experience is as follows:

• Vulkan: Abysmal performance. I need to set graphics to Low or it becomes literally unplayable™ .
  • DirectX 11: Performance is significantly better - better than pre-patch Vulkan, but consumes more RAM than Vulkan (~3 GB more). The problem is that NPC conversations grinds to a crawl if they drag on for a longer period of time, one conversation froze my entire system completely, forcing a hard reset. If I make it through the conversation though, the performance returns to normal and I can continue playing.

I'm aware that I'm not running the recommended Nvidia driver version for this Proton version, but there were no issues prior to this patch, and I haven't upgraded anything else in my system.

Any suggestions?

Debian 12
Proton 8.0-3
Nvidia driver 525.125.06
GeForce GTX 1070
No mods ever used

Last edited by Lasse Kongo; 01/09/23 05:55 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
Hello, same with me, BG3 Patch 2 ruined quite good performance I had under Linux+Proton with Vulkan. Now it's unplayable 5-10 FPS!!

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
You could try switching to dx11 instead of Vulkan, which runs a lot better, but as I mentioned - it has other issues (at least on my system).

P
stranger
stranger
P
Same here.

Manjaro rolling
Proton 8.03
Nvidia driver 535.104.05
RTX 3080

A
stranger
stranger
A
Not a Linux+Proton Issue, Patch 2 has broken the game for most players. At this point most players crash within 5 min of starting game up.

P
stranger
stranger
P
I doubt that mate. It's a self selection bias, most people just play the game without problems, it's the ones with problems who post here. My game works just fine with dx11...

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Potemkin
I doubt that mate. It's a self selection bias, most people just play the game without problems, it's the ones with problems who post here. My game works just fine with dx11...
So you're not seeing any performance degradation during longer NPC conversations the way I do? Walking around exploring and fighting works flawlessly for me with dx11, but conversations that last a few minutes tends to grind to a crawl and the entire game turns into syrup.

P
stranger
stranger
P
I don’t think so, but I skip most conversations. I‘ll try to have longer conversation later, but my wood elf cleric is a loner, so it‘s hard on her smile

P
stranger
stranger
P
No, longer conversations have no impact on my frame rate.

And BTW when playing with the Vulkan renderer my frames drop to single digits but my GPU is idling.

Last edited by Potemkin; 02/09/23 11:29 AM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
I'm having a similar issue. My frames have been cut in half since patch 2. Though, to be honest, it's still playable at about 28-35 fps in Act 3. I have not done any real testing under DX11. My results have been Vulkan based. I've tried the current proton experimental as well as the newest GE proton (Glorious Eggroll), both are about the same. Oddly, DLSS used to give me about 15-20% more frames, and now it seems like it does nothing at all to improve performance. I've had no real issues with conversations in Vulkan. Also, it's not overly choppy, just severely reduced FPS.

I've come across some reddit posts indicating that clearing some of the game area caches help, but it did nothing for me.

I'll try DX11 later.

Mint 21.1
Nvidia 353.86
3080 FE 10GB
No mods

apprentice
apprentice
In my case everything is okay on vulkan.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RX 580 8 GB
Kernel: 6.5.1
Distro: Gentoo

I personally avoid Nvidia on Linux.

Link Copied to Clipboard