Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#885777 23/08/23 09:22 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I used to make 3D models for Baldur's Gate 1+2 NPCs, since in them days you only really ever saw them as a low resolution portrait. Obviously I feel less compelled to do that for BG3, but I dug up my old files, decided they weren't actually very good, so started remaking them. So this was my attempt at Aerie in DazStudio:

[Linked Image from coutelier.org.uk][Linked Image from coutelier.org.uk]

Aerie was the third potential romance (for male PC's - I'm afraid same sex romance wasn't available in the original games) in BG2. If there's ever another expansion, add-on, or sequel, it would be great to run into an elder, more experienced Aerie who has been around a lot more, embraced gnomishness, and carries all the things she learned travelling with the old companions. But naturally opposing any kind of abuse and slavery whenever she encounters it.

If there's another old NPC you want me to have a go at let me know.

Last edited by JPCoutelier; 23/08/23 10:57 PM.
veteran
veteran
Nice.

Aerie was never my favorite character but I always like fan art. Not making any specific requests but will follow this thread to see what else you come up with smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
I was expected you'd be making them as tav's with the ingame character maker.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Starshine
I was expected you'd be making them as tav's with the ingame character maker.

I might give that a go as well at some point, although I don't think Aerie's tattoos/facepaints are there. Maybe in a mod, but I prefer to explore a new game without any mods for a while before jumping into that.

J
OP Offline
J
[Linked Image from coutelier.org.uk]

A thief was pretty much essential in your party in the old games due to the number of traps and locks. Realizing this the devs added Imoen to the start of BG1 to ensure there was always one available. She was written as the MC's childhood friend/sister who grew up with you in Candlekeep, then revealed in BG2 to be your actual half-sister.

On a technical note, there's obviously not much canon information about the heights of most of these characters. Last time I checked Forgotten Realms Wiki it said Avariel have an average height of just five feet. Although I've had other people insist they're much taller, or between 5 and 7 feet tall (which just seems like the normal range for adult humans, but okay). In any case, it feels right to me that Aerie is smallish so for the purposes of these I've made her 160cm (5ft3inches) tall. And Imoen similar; in fact just slightly taller.

I'd have done more, but for some reason this image has made me very sad.

J
OP Offline
J

J
OP Offline
J
[Linked Image from coutelier.org.uk][Linked Image from coutelier.org.uk]

An older Jan Jansen. I'll do one of him in his prime at some point - just need to find the right clothes (like I have lots of steampunk goggles, but I need a good mage/thief outfit for him).

I was thinking of making a little comic and posting it on a blog somewhere, but honestly that laboratory scene took freaking ages to render so I don't know if I'll ever have time.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Heya! Imoen looks good))

What about Viconia? Also Haer’Dalis

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by ladydub
Heya! Imoen looks good))

What about Viconia? Also Haer’Dalis

Well there is already a 3D Viconia in BG3, but I will be slowly working my way through all the BG2 NPC's at least so Haer'Dalis will be along at some point (and yeah I probably will do my own versions of Viccy, Minsc, and Jaheira, because once I've done that I can make them do whatever I want).

Last edited by The Red Queen; 26/08/23 09:04 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
veteran
veteran
These feel like old school adult game screenshots.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Well BG3 is an adult game with secks and everything so.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

Probably because a lot of them are made using DazStudio or Poser. It is a challenge to find fantasy outfits that aren't just designed to be secksy.

(Although in my experience, those games usually use much lower poly models, and I promise aren't using as many light sources in one scene as I do).

Last edited by JPCoutelier; 27/08/23 12:01 AM.
J
OP Offline
J

Halfling Paladin Mazzy Fentan.

I don't currently have anything resembling Mazzy's hair in her portrait so this blast back style will have to do for now. Also looking more closely at her portrait, she seems to actually be wearing some eyeshadow and her lips are less red. But I did remember her cleft chin.

veteran
veteran
These are just so nostalgic, keep em coming lol. I'm kind of sick of the whole modern AI art thing anyways, this is such a nice change.

J
OP Offline
J

Turnips! Turnips! Turnips! As the old saying goes, turnips every meal, every day, because turnips are freaking awesome.

J
OP Offline
J
[Linked Image from coutelier.org.uk][Linked Image from coutelier.org.uk][Linked Image from coutelier.org.uk][Linked Image from coutelier.org.uk]

I haven't had time to work on any other characters yet, but I found an old shield I'd made for Aerie. It's quite low res/poly though, so if I show her with a shield again I will probably make/retexture a more modern model.

(Who is the kind of gith looking lady dressed as a gladiatrix? Don't know. We're never going to see her again to ask).

J
OP Offline
J

Anomen Delryn (haven't added his scar yet and I would have recolored his loincloth yellow, but...).

Anyway, don't know if it says anything that the only male you could romance in the original games was a human, while all three women are elves or half-elves. I believe Haer'Dalis was intended to be romanceable as well (a stripped down version appears as a relationship with Aerie, but she ends up dumping him).

J
OP Offline
J

Aerie rescues another creature from a circus. The tiger was being skittish, not wanting to come out of its cage, so the trainers started lashing it until Aerie couldn't take it anymore and intervened. Then a big fight kicked off; strong men and jesters started rushing in and there were exploding ogres, and magic zipping and zapping and whooshing everywhere, and rings of fire and frost, and some tight-rope walking - it was an awesome battle. You should have seen it.

Anyway its a clue to what characters I'm going to work on next, but I'm not sure when.

Last edited by JPCoutelier; 03/09/23 07:04 PM.
J
OP Offline
J

Cernd!

Honestly, no one has ever asked for Cernd. But I'm a completionist, so here he is.

Last edited by JPCoutelier; 03/09/23 07:02 PM.
J
OP Offline
J

This Jaheira was based on her BG2 portrait, but aged a bit for this render. Some of her in her prime will follow at some point (although to be honest I never really approved of them making Jaheira blonde in BG2).

Also I paid for this tiger model; I'm going to use it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard