Print Thread
Page 21 of 156 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 155 156
F
stranger
stranger
F
I’m a bit confused reading that there’s
no way to cure Karlach.

Why have I been finding all this infernal iron? What’s it used for past the second upgrade? And what was up with that robot talking about a prototype or something? And Dammon saying he could make her a liquid cooled heart?

It really seemed like the writers were clearly telegraphing there would be some way to help her.

I love a good tragedy, but it would feel a lot more earned if our character actually
pursued any of these viable methods for cures!!

You go through hell and back for half the other companion quests, but with Karlach
you just don’t even look into it? Did we forget her heart is failing until the end?

It would be a lot more meaningful if after trying everything, you realize
it’s still hopeless. At that point the Avernus ending would feel “poignant”, instead of like a quick ending the writers slapped on last minute when they couldn’t do the ending they wanted.

Pausing my Karlach playthrough for now -
really sucks knowing I won’t even try to fix her.

Last edited by FiscalBasilisk; 01/09/23 02:54 PM. Reason: forgot spoiler tags
N
stranger
stranger
N
Reloaded my last savegame of my first playthrough with the final conversation with Karlach and watched the "extended epilogue" yesterday. I was somehow shocked and irritated how out of character Karlach acted.

For me, it feels more of an ending if you only befriended and still want to help her. Or maybe Wyll is by her side. But I'm in a romance with her and I would expect some nicer words, maybe a "thank you, soldier/darling".
I still have her monologue after Gortasch in my head ("The loneliness, oh the f******* loneliness...") and that was the absolut point of no return for me to let her alone in any way.

But this Karlach feels strange for me. Especially with the ciggars out of nowhere. It is maybe a minor thing, but for me, it feels extremely odd because she never mentions some habit like that.

I appreciate the work Larian is investing but I still have hopes for a happy ending for Karlach and my Tav.

While I'm generally agreeing with the overall displeasure with the endings - obviously - I really wish people would
stop believing that Avernus is a certain return to slavery or quick death. I've seen Zariel's 5e sheet, I've heard about the Avernus campaign in TTRPG, while yes it's tough as hell (heh) it's not impossible even in just raw D&D, let alone if we assume the huge overpowered luck that follows our character by videogame logic continues post-epilogue. It is not insane to think that Karlach and Tav can survive there. They don't even really need to defeat Zariel as is, they just need to hold out long enough to find a way to fix her engine (which should be easier in the place where is was literally made) and then ditch the party.

At this point saying that it's a certain doom is just us insisting on making what's already bad worse. Because we're mad. Understandably so. But still. Claiming that anyone who chose that ending basically killed her slower or sold her to slavery won't do anyone good. We're already sad, let's not start digging voluntarily.

All that being said I once again repeat that I really hope that this is a bandaid and her actual quest will be fleshed out down the line, so that whatever endings we get feel actually deserved according to the way we played (preferably including actually HELPING her) and not just frustratingly set in stone. Lest someone thinks I'm defending the current state of things as good enough.

Last edited by tarraxahum; 01/09/23 03:19 PM. Reason: added a small clarification

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
stranger
stranger
So I was going to respond to this yesterday but the forums were kinda nuked all day, I wonder why.

Honestly I'm impressed with Larian studios, it's pretty amazing to see them put out such a major patch so quickly. I do love and appreciate their commitment to making the game better and better. So I'm happy and impressed with the devs here for all they've done to get this in our hands right away.

However as soon as I saw that patch 2 was being released so quickly I knew that Larian would not deliver on a new ending for Karlach as they promised. It was obvious, there was no way they'd be able to implement that much new content that quickly.

In the end Karlach's endings are still hot garbage.

This isn't the ending your fans and customers want, this isn't the ending she deserves. Worse yet the way you presented these changes gave us a lot of false hope, now it feels like you straight up lied to your customers. And for what?

So yeah, I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Looks like we'll need to keep beating this drum for a long time to come.

#JusticeForKarlach

R
Rae Offline
R
The thing is, that this is not a fanservice in terms of fans want good ending, we will give them what they want. This is more like we gave our fans incomplete game and we should do our best to fix it and reclaim our reputation. (this applies for whole act3)
The whole questline is based on saving Karlach in good terms, but in Act 3 is whole efford stopped. If you play evil or dont care, all current endings are 100% ok, but if you love her, there is no way how you can save her right, because the story is not completed. 17000 endings and 0 good? Dont tell me that.

Last edited by Rae; 01/09/23 04:01 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Caios
So I was going to respond to this yesterday but the forums were kinda nuked all day, I wonder why.

Honestly I'm impressed with Larian studios, it's pretty amazing to see them put out such a major patch so quickly. I do love and appreciate their commitment to making the game better and better. So I'm happy and impressed with the devs here for all they've done to get this in our hands right away.

However as soon as I saw that patch 2 was being released so quickly I knew that Larian would not deliver on a new ending for Karlach as they promised. It was obvious, there was no way they'd be able to implement that much new content that quickly.

This isn't the ending your fans and customers want, this isn't the ending she deserves. Worse yet the way you presented these changes gave us a lot of false hope, now it feels like you straight up lied to your customers. And for what?

#JusticeForKarlach

Quite. They’ve have been better off just saying they’d patched a couple of things that weren’t triggering properly and were working on bigger improvements. Details to follow in time.

So predictable.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Caios

#JusticeForKarlach
THIS!!! So much this. I literally just made my account just to get onto the forums just because I felt like I needed to talk about this!

Larian, WHAT THE HELL?! This isn't what we wanted and this isn't what Karlach deserves. And yeah, I was extremely skeptical as well, I wanted to hold off playing until the new update to see what to make of it. But now? Seeing you, as I expected, oversell what you were giving us only to leave us disappointed? It's not even a new ending! It's just a fancy new cinematic tacked onto the ending we hated!

This is the kind of thing that makes me feel ignored and destroys my trust in a studio. It makes me feel like the game isn't worth continuing. Which HURTS to say! I love the game! I want to keep playing it, and I want there to be more amazing and successful queer-friendly games like this one! But I'm sick and tired of having to deal with nothing but unsatisfying endings. Not just in Baldur's Gate III but in so many other things too. Maybe I'm being overdramatic but...this hurts. At this point I just expect to constantly be let down. I can't keep doing this...

Unlike Caios I think I might actually be a little mad. My disappointment is immeasurable but it would be a lie to say that I'm not mad.

Justice For Karlach!
F
F
The new ending is OK enough for me.
At least they dropped the idea that if you didn't romance her, you have no right to go with her over Wyll. Plus additional final scene in Avernus.

apprentice
apprentice
I mean you couldnt even go to Avernus with her if you romanced her and had Wyll as Blade of Avernus with you

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
I respect that, I think the new ending is quite good. I love the dumb 80s vibe it has.

I however don't think its unreasonable to be disappointed that it's the ONLY ending that is somewhat tolerable for Karlach, with little in the way of player agency of affecting how or where she ends up. I understand that it is quite hopeful and there is a very decent shot that they fight their way through Avernus to find a cure, however all of that happens offscreen and is left to the imagination, the player has no actual input in whether she is fixed or not. If this is a game where "choices matter", why is the only choice in regards to Karlach's ending already determined before the game even starts? Going back with friends this time feels like a neutral ending, not bad, but not good either.

Is it an improvement? Certainly. It is not however a satisfying ending for someone who worked so hard to fix her.

Last edited by Nessius; 01/09/23 05:38 PM. Reason: Said something incorrect
stranger
stranger
I'd have hoped they'd add a fix for her heart. With everything we can see in the game, it's absolutely not plausible that she can't have a happy ending.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by KazeAndi
I'd have hoped they'd add a fix for her heart. With everything we can see in the game, it's absolutely not plausible that she can't have a happy ending.
It's definitely plausible but the thing is, I am at a point where I don't believe it's ever going to happen. I think this is all that we're ever going to get.

I'm so tired. I'm so very fucking tired. I'm sick and tired of screaming and screaming and screaming and being ignored.

Justice For Karlach!
apprentice
apprentice
The thing is, I wouldnt consider this as cool to be honest. Its, as far as the information goes, completly out of character for Karach to just wip out 2 cigars and smoke them saying she gave em up a long time ago, yet she never mentioned she was smoking once in her life. That would be okay if she didnt tell us that, but the fact she basically told us her entire backstory and what she did and went through, it feels so weird they just popped the "Im a Smoker" sticker on Karlach...

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
I agree, but I'm gonna chalk that up to "Oh no guys the fans are REALLY mad about Karlach and we gotta throw something together."

Is it dumb? Yes.
Is it campy? Definitely.
Is it in character? Probably not.

Do I think it's an acceptable peace offering until they add something better? Sure, for now.

F
F
Also, I HAVE to add it, and no, I won't spoiler-tag this. Smoking is BAD. This was a really silly and cheap move.

Out of nowhere. Out of character. Out of place.

stranger
stranger
Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was extremely out of character. If Larian wants to give us a peace offering, they're gonna have to do better than this.

But I still doubt that they ever will.

In every companion's story, the player has agency in how things unfold, EXCEPT for Karlach's story. It literally makes no difference if we never even found her by the river, she still only has the same options for her future than if we DO meet her and run around the Sword Coast trying to fix her engine. And this didn't change that.

Last edited by Nary a Care; 01/09/23 06:13 PM.

Justice For Karlach!
apprentice
apprentice
Yeah Im not totally against the epilogue at all, it would be fine if it wasnt for the basically false advertisment from Swens side with his "The ending she deserves" "A lot of people are going to be happy with this" " a thing a lot of people asked for"

Its clear as days that this scene wasnt made specifically for us, it was already premade and lost along the way somewhere. That makes it even more disappointing that the running scene is at like solid 15fps... Its not polished at all, sure it was rushed, but they didnt make this from scratch either

I dont think anyone really expected a COMPLETLY new ending, but people were more hopeful as well, especially because the way they phrased it, it wasnt really hinting towards an "expansion" on an already existing ending... To be its basically the same ending as before, just a bit longer and more "clearance" I guess

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Drakaah
Yeah Im not totally against the epilogue at all, it would be fine if it wasnt for the basically false advertisment from Swens side with his "The ending she deserves" "A lot of people are going to be happy with this" " a thing a lot of people asked for"

Its clear as days that this scene wasnt made specifically for us, it was already premade and lost along the way somewhere. That makes it even more disappointing that the running scene is at like solid 15fps... Its not polished at all, sure it was rushed, but they didnt make this from scratch either

I dont think anyone really expected a COMPLETLY new ending, but people were more hopeful as well, especially because the way they phrased it, it wasnt really hinting towards an "expansion" on an already existing ending... To be its basically the same ending as before, just a bit longer and more "clearance" I guess

False advertising at it's finest. I doubted that the "new ending" would really amount to anything at all. And I was right. It really didn't and honestly it felt insulting.

Maybe my pessimistic outlook is because I've dealt with exactly this kind of thing from many other games and studios, to the point where I've completely condemned and sworn off ever playing anything they created ever again. So my past experiences with other studios and other titles might be coloring my perspective a bit. But right now? I don't feel like Larian is ever going to do anything else about it. I know people are hoping for Larian to address this and give Karlach a "proper" ending, trading this slap-dash band-aid of an ending and finally giving the full-on surgery Karlach's story so desperately needs. But as things currently stand, I have no reason to believe Larian will EVER do anything of the sort. Whenever a studio fucks up to this extent, I don't think I have ever seen any studio address it and resolve it in a satisfying way.

Maybe my sapphic ass is just too used to being baited, backstabbed, and disappointed. But with everything I've seen, I don't see why I should hold out hope that "maybe this time will be different."

Last edited by Nary a Care; 01/09/23 06:34 PM.

Justice For Karlach!
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by Nary a Care
Maybe my sapphic ass is just too used to being baited, backstabbed, and disappointed. But with everything I've seen, I don't see why I should hold out hope that "maybe this time will be different."

Don't lose hope just yet. We've been heard once, this time it might be different, we are all rooting for Karlach smile Hang in there friend, we're in this together

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Mighty Melvo
Originally Posted by Nary a Care

Don't lose hope just yet. We've been heard once, this time it might be different, we are all rooting for Karlach smile Hang in there friend, we're in this together
They literally didn't hear us though. They just released this trashfire that they tried to pass off as a "new ending", possibly in hopes that we'd shut the hell up.

Justice For Karlach!
Page 21 of 156 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 155 156

Link Copied to Clipboard