Page 3 of 93 1 2 3 4 5 92 93
Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by Madguise
Originally Posted by iloverainbow
So when are we getting an alternate ending for Halsin + Tav? frown

They mentioned that Karlach will be getting an alternate ending in Patch 2. We need one for Halsin too.

well, good news, the writer of halsin has been fully aware of all critics about him considering he's been reading posts about him.
https://twitter.com/mrjohncorcoran/status/1693433654519677218

guess we play the waiting game now. i, as well as other halsin fans have been asking larian, swen, and the game director to add more content and a better romance ending for him on twitter..
i still advise you guys to submit feedback via the ticket thingy. if you say nothing, then nothing will change

That criticism he commented on mentions nothing about Act 3, just his joining time and development in Act 2. I really hope the Minthara and Karlach stans don't eclipse Halsin romance getting a rewrite that doesn't have him dumping you, or at least offers you to come with him.

In the case of Halsin even his spells are bugged. Call Lightning is not part of his spell book, but a passive spell on the left pane, so it's stuck at lv3 slot and you can't upcast it.

Similarly, his healing word is a passive spell in the left pane instead of a spell in the spellbook. It's a lv1 Healing Word, can't be upcasted. Worthless, basically stuck at lv1 healing for 1-7 heal total.

Last edited by Zenith; 30/08/23 04:26 AM.
veteran
veteran
Halsin has those spells normally in his spellbook in my playthrough. He has the brown bear shape on the left side.
Everything else is messed up about him though. The creepy way, he comes at you when you never encouraged him has to be changed.
I can say much about the romance since he is mostly in camp and I'm not doing the romance. But he is very barebone imo. So far, he doesn't really has anything going for him in act 3. I mostly use Jaheira, since her story is much more involved ( plus it's Jaheira and she is so well done).
There should be a reason, he stays at the group in act 3 , so far my reaction to him telling me, how well the grove was, was basically 'Soo, when do you plan to go back and do your duty as first druid?:

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Just a reminder to avoid spoilers out in the open when discussing this topic, folk. The fact Halsin was a poly romance option was publicised beforehand, so it's fine to talk about that, and about your impressions of the romance, but try to make sure actual plot points or significant character development points are in tags so folk don't come across them by accident.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Originally Posted by Zenith

They mentioned that Karlach will be getting an alternate ending in Patch 2. We need one for Halsin too.

well, good news, the writer of halsin has been fully aware of all critics about him considering he's been reading posts about him.

guess we play the waiting game now. i, as well as other halsin fans have been asking larian, swen, and the game director to add more content and a better romance ending for him on twitter..
i still advise you guys to submit feedback via the ticket thingy. if you say nothing, then nothing will change

That criticism he commented on mentions nothing about Act 3, just his joining time and development in Act 2. I really hope the Minthara and Karlach stans don't eclipse Halsin romance getting a rewrite that doesn't have him dumping you, or at least offers you to come with him.

If you look at the comments below that Tumblr post, people were commenting on the romance and character arc of Halsin in the game. Hopefully he did see those comments as well.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I

Yes thanks for sharing this. I will definitely send in my feedback as well.

old hand
old hand
I doubt this scenario is different for other gneders, as the game cleverly avoids the issue of your gender most of the time. The times you're actually being referred to as a man or woman are *very* limited. I have not even a clue as to how they interpret the third option, but even my dudes and gals are oftentimes referred to as them, even when alone. And, i get it - that's thrice the dialogue to record right there. I also think it's fair to say that not one ought to receive special treatment over the other. And, by that token, I have no qualms about having to fend off Gale and Wyll even on my manly Berserker Dwarf multiple times.

Regardless of that issue. There's hardly more romance content for other characters, either. Yes, Halsin's very limited, but not much more than the others. They advertised the romances to be 'more organic' and 'not just do their quest and bang' .Well. That's right, just progres the story, and say yes. After which you can either end that, or ask how they feel about it. Well, great.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
stranger
stranger

That is a really well written critique on Halsin's character. It'd be nice to see some character growth in his story. It's sad that the game forces him to remain in this state of pushing others away because of his own doubts and fears. Poor guy deserves to overcome his demons and have a happy ending just as much as Karlach does.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Malachite

That is a really well written critique on Halsin's character. It'd be nice to see some character growth in his story. It's sad that the game forces him to remain in this state of pushing others away because of his own doubts and fears. Poor guy deserves to overcome his demons and have a happy ending just as much as Karlach does.

That critique is actually spot on. And that would really be a point to address in the game. The player could help him overcome his problems and become a better leader for the grove. Sadly that was never really addressed and Halsin just chills in the camp as if nothing is wrong. And yes, the harpies were always a big gripe for me too. No one can tell me, that the druids never walked down to the beach and encountered them. Even if they were extremely laissez-faire, there should at least be a warning sign.

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand
I'm not bothered by the harpies - as far as I know, they're as much a part of nature in the Realms as any other predator, and I don't think the druids had any reason or responsibility to chase them off. Obviously at least some of the refugees were informed about their presence, otherwise the boy wouldn't have been in that spot.

I am a little bothered by the hag down the road, though. She seems to be up to some unnatural shenanigans, and she can be found just sort of casually hanging about. Too bad we can't mention her to Halsin.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Swen tweeted something yesterday on inviting the actors back to the studio. Hopefully one of them is Halsin's VA.

veteran
veteran
Swen tweeted something yesterday on inviting the actors back to the studio. Hopefully one of them is Halsin's VA.
Hopefully so! It would be great to have some more content for Halsin! approvegauntlet

apprentice
apprentice
halsin's writer replied to swen's tweet with a eye emoji and a writing one. looks like they're already beginning to get started on patch 4 or maybe 5. i'm sure patch 3 will have that withers wardrode thing. i'm keeping a close eye on halsin's va too, he loves to tweet whenever he's in larian's studio

veteran
veteran
halsin's writer replied to swen's tweet with a eye emoji and a writing one. looks like they're already beginning to get started on patch 4 or maybe 5. i'm sure patch 3 will have that withers wardrode thing. i'm keeping a close eye on halsin's va too, he loves to tweet whenever he's in larian's studio
celebrate celebrate celebrate

old hand
old hand
If they are actually adding a full-blown epilogue, I assume all the companions will have some lines in it, which requires both more writing and more voice acting.

C'mon, Larian, give me one more chance to convince Halsin to take me my character with him. Make it a high difficulty persuasion roll (which I'll cheat the heck out of). biggrin

I
journeyman
journeyman
I

Oooooohhhh that looks promising!

I am also buying the game on PS5 and I will probably romance Gale in this playthrough and hopefully we won't have to wait long for the new Halsin content!

veteran
veteran
Finally got to the Halsin romance!!!

The start of the romance was pretty rough. Hopefully they will add more dialogue options so that poly isn’t the only option!!!

I liked the scene with Halsin and the dryad in the carnival! It is really sweet! approvegauntlet

Last edited by Icelyn; 01/09/23 04:54 AM.
addict
addict
I just hope the sound quality is a bit better than some of the other lines.

Like, it sounds like the rerecorded some of them and the volume and compression levels are off.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Yes hopefully they fix the sound quality too.

I just pre-ordered the game on my PS5 and the deluxe version comes with free avatar for your PS5 profile. They have avatar for all the companions except Halsin and Minthara frown

veteran
veteran
I watched the end of Halsins romance on Youtube - I didn't find it so bad?
It's not, as if he breaks up with you, he even invites you.
That is a good ending in my book for a romance in BG3

Doctor Who
stranger
stranger
I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread and am looking forward to seeing what additional content they cook up for Halsin's romance.
I was listening to a compilation of the cut/datamined companion banter audio and I have to say,
it definitely furthers the speculation that Halsin's addition was pretty half-baked and treated like more of a fling. Some of the lines in there are him alluding to wanting to join Tav and their lover in their next romp, jokes about his escapades (the erm, chimera line). Some of these combined with the infamous Drow bedchamber prison story seem to be put in there for laughs, but do not land. It feels as if they wrote him to be more of a "freaky druid type" wild ride, rather than a proper romance companion, which is especially disappointing if you solely romanced him.

Page 3 of 93 1 2 3 4 5 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard