Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 39 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 38 39
stranger
stranger
If Patch 2 would fix Minthara, would I need to start a new game or would it work on my save where she's joined my group for good?

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by Starshine
Have people seen this article? https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-patch-2-minthara

Baldur’s Gate 3 Patch 2 Will Address ‘Very Stupid Bug’ That Blocked 1500 Lines of Minthara Content
Minthara is finally getting the justice she deserves.
Kat Bailey
By Kat Bailey
Updated: Aug 30, 2023 10:35 am
Posted: Aug 30, 2023 10:24 am

Baldur's Gate 3's next big patch is releasing soon, and by all accounts it will be a chonky one, featuring a host of performance improvements and other fixes. Even better, Patch 2 will apparently address Minthara, who has been hobbled by what director Swen Vincke describes as a "very, very stupid bug."

Speaking with IGN ahead of Patch 2's release, Vincke talked about how the scope of Baldur's Gate 3 can cause cascading reactions that can sometimes lock out content by accident. Such is the case with Baldur's Gate 3's drow murderess.

"The game is super reactive and there were a couple of bugs that caused some of the companions to not react as they should. And so that felt like the content was not showing up. So you weren't seeing it specifically with Minthara," Vincke explained. "So [lead writer Adam Smith] told me there's about 1500 lines of Minthara that weren't showing up as a result of a very, very stupid bug that we now isolated. So we're solving it."
<strong>Baldur's Gate 3 fans have been crying out for more content for Minthara.</strong>
Baldur's Gate 3 fans have been crying out for more content for Minthara.

Vincke said that the Minthara lines "worked" in previous versions, but that "something else caused them to not work anymore." Such is the challenge of making a complicated, interlocking RPG filled with thousands of tiny interactions.
'We'll see if we can do something extra for her'

Talking about the team's overall vision off for Minthara, Vincke says she went through "a few iterations." One key distinction is that she's not an origin character, meaning you can't play her from the start. In essence, she's what Vincke describes as a "sidekick."

"She's there to actually serve another character that you meet later on in the game, one of the antagonists," he says. "So, she was supposed to bring a different light on that antagonist in there."

He continues, "It doesn't help that some of her lines are not triggering. So that doesn't do her justice. But she never had a real actual quest — an origin quest... what you have for some of the others inside of act 3.. So people that were looking for that, it's just not there."

"There was a variation that they discovered of Minthara that we removed because it became too complicated. Then we didn't have the real estate across the game anymore to tell that story. So, they found some fragments of it. But I mean, every single companion that you've been playing has gone through those multiple iterations. So, it's not that it's something like we massively cut something there. It's just that Minthara also serves the power fantasy of going for evil."
Interesting, so no plans to change the way she is recruitable it seems and from what I got romance was discarded even if it existed at some early point of development. Guess we still lose 3-4 partners to have her.

Originally Posted by Berseria
Interesting, so no plans to change the way she is recruitable it seems and from what I got romance was discarded even if it existed at some early point of development. Guess we still lose 3-4 partners to have her.
I don't think it's correct to read the romance was discarded from that, more likely the "more complicated" version of it being mentioned like the pregnancy stuff is probably what was intentionally taken out. They've always consistently said she was romanceable and there's no way they JUST meant that act 1 scene because that would be some incel shit.

Well, that's frustrating. I think I already missed out on most of Minthara's content because I'm in Act 3 already. She does have some great input for evil characters in Act 3, at least.

Maybe I'll do another evil playthrough someday.

stranger
stranger
Have people seen this article? https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-patch-2-minthara

Baldur’s Gate 3 Patch 2 Will Address ‘Very Stupid Bug’ That Blocked 1500 Lines of Minthara Content
Minthara is finally getting the justice she deserves.
Kat Bailey
By Kat Bailey
Updated: Aug 30, 2023 10:35 am
Posted: Aug 30, 2023 10:24 am

Baldur's Gate 3's next big patch is releasing soon, and by all accounts it will be a chonky one, featuring a host of performance improvements and other fixes. Even better, Patch 2 will apparently address Minthara, who has been hobbled by what director Swen Vincke describes as a "very, very stupid bug."

Speaking with IGN ahead of Patch 2's release, Vincke talked about how the scope of Baldur's Gate 3 can cause cascading reactions that can sometimes lock out content by accident. Such is the case with Baldur's Gate 3's drow murderess.

"The game is super reactive and there were a couple of bugs that caused some of the companions to not react as they should. And so that felt like the content was not showing up. So you weren't seeing it specifically with Minthara," Vincke explained. "So [lead writer Adam Smith] told me there's about 1500 lines of Minthara that weren't showing up as a result of a very, very stupid bug that we now isolated. So we're solving it."
<strong>Baldur's Gate 3 fans have been crying out for more content for Minthara.</strong>
Baldur's Gate 3 fans have been crying out for more content for Minthara.

Vincke said that the Minthara lines "worked" in previous versions, but that "something else caused them to not work anymore." Such is the challenge of making a complicated, interlocking RPG filled with thousands of tiny interactions.
'We'll see if we can do something extra for her'

Talking about the team's overall vision off for Minthara, Vincke says she went through "a few iterations." One key distinction is that she's not an origin character, meaning you can't play her from the start. In essence, she's what Vincke describes as a "sidekick."

"She's there to actually serve another character that you meet later on in the game, one of the antagonists," he says. "So, she was supposed to bring a different light on that antagonist in there."

He continues, "It doesn't help that some of her lines are not triggering. So that doesn't do her justice. But she never had a real actual quest — an origin quest... what you have for some of the others inside of act 3.. So people that were looking for that, it's just not there."

"There was a variation that they discovered of Minthara that we removed because it became too complicated. Then we didn't have the real estate across the game anymore to tell that story. So, they found some fragments of it. But I mean, every single companion that you've been playing has gone through those multiple iterations. So, it's not that it's something like we massively cut something there. It's just that Minthara also serves the power fantasy of going for evil."

Man, I feel like the guys at Larian really missing the mark. The so called "evil" path is literally non existent. There is literally not worth it to lose the amount of quest rewards, xp, and character progression in exchange for.. NOTHING, there is like 2 alternative quest you get if you go to the "evil" path, the rest is content you're missing out on. While I understand why someone would want to go murderhobo and just kill of everyone on his own accord, but saying, here's your evil path bro, is not it. I sincerely hope they'll change thier mind about how Minthara is recruited, since going to the "evil path" is simply not economical, and she will die 90% of playthroughs.

Last edited by Grim997; 30/08/23 06:56 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
Yeah, particularly since she was described irrc in a panel from hell by Swen as a 'reward' for sticking through the ever-controversial grove-massacre quest. Kinda gave the impression that she was something special, not a 'sidekick' that was intended to have less content than other companions. (even though you recruit her later-whaaat?)

But there's two parts that are particularly dissapointing here:

Originally Posted by Swen
So that's Orin, right? Yeah, IDK about a party member whose primary reason for existing is a boss you meet in Act 3. Is Minthara supposed to be BG 3's Yoshimo, or something?

Then we get this:

Originally Posted by Swen

So it was 'too complicated' then 'We didn't have the real estate across the game anymore?'

What the heck does 'we didn't have the real estate across the game anymore' mean anyways? That sounds like an allusion to the massive amounts of cut content a lot of people are speculating on, particularly in Act 3.

So she was intended as a power fantasy for evil players, but she was intended to give one of our villains some (easily missable) narrative depth. She was too complicated to get to work, and we didn't have anywhere to put her content because we cut down the game, but she's totally a sidekick and we didn't cut anything meaningful, please don't look to hard at the romance stuff in the files that we cut, or how we were selling her to the player base as a romance option...did I miss anything here? Because that sounds an awful lot to me like cut content....which they are trying to downplay the significance of.

Bracing myself for when they patch her messed up triggers and it turns out that her not having a romance was actually intentional.

Last edited by Leucrotta; 30/08/23 09:44 PM.
O
stranger
stranger
O
I hope the team goes back and adds Minthara as an actual Origin companion with more possibilities. Hands down my favorite companion.

If the team reads this, thank you for the game!

Although I would really like it if it were possible to recruit Minthar in some alternative way (as has already been mentioned many times, the "evil path" practically means that you will lose 3 companions and about 10 hours of game content full of quests, items and conversations. It's just not worth it) right now I'd be pretty happy just with them restoring her romance in full.

Unfortunately, right now it is not certain what is cut content and what is bugged content.
Sven was saying something about a bug blocking 1500 of her lines.
That's more than enough for a full romance.

And Minthara's romance was supposed to be something truly unique…

Last edited by Edvin Black; 31/08/23 12:48 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...please_patch_1_didnt_fix_her_coping_for/

2k comments on reddit about Minthara and romance stuff
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
So patch 2 doesnt mention Minthara at all?

Originally Posted by Berseria
So patch 2 doesnt mention Minthara at all?
Nope, looks like we're waiting for Patch 3 for the really stupid bug, whatever it is, to be fixed.

The fix to Minthara is in the patch notes:

Fixed companions sometimes not saying anything during dialogues where they are supposed to make comments.

Presumably this bug affected characters besides her as well.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Hi!
This guy says Minthara is already fixed. What do you think?

stranger
stranger
We need more comprehensive proof of whether or not this is fixed yet. He doesn't really show anything related to that in the video. I honestly doubt that her many missing lines are fixed or will be fixed until we get the hotfix/patch they plan on lopping that into. Such a shame we didn't get that with 2, but obviously they have a pretty heavy load right now.

stranger
stranger
That video doesn't say that the bug is fixed, it says - as Larian said - that it should be fixed in a patch.

Larian's patch 2 notes mention that a bug for companions not talking when they should was implemented but doesn't mention Minthara specifically, like they did when they mentioned her problem.

I haven't seen anything new from her in game, either D.Urge or Tav (thank god I kept all my saves...XD) so I'm willing to say that I'm either expecting stuff that was fully cut and thus won't be there or it didn't fix Minthara and was a general improvement in the patch and not for her specifically.

While I'd love to recruit her on a good play through, I'd settle for actually knowing what's been cut and what's expected at this point. The evil path is generally pointless, so I might add that mod in that let's you recruit Minthara on a 'good' run and have a redemption D Urge playthrough instead^^

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Vrael
That video doesn't say that the bug is fixed, it says - as Larian said - that it should be fixed in a patch.

Larian's patch 2 notes mention that a bug for companions not talking when they should was implemented but doesn't mention Minthara specifically, like they did when they mentioned her problem.

I haven't seen anything new from her in game, either D.Urge or Tav (thank god I kept all my saves...XD) so I'm willing to say that I'm either expecting stuff that was fully cut and thus won't be there or it didn't fix Minthara and was a general improvement in the patch and not for her specifically.

While I'd love to recruit her on a good play through, I'd settle for actually knowing what's been cut and what's expected at this point. The evil path is generally pointless, so I might add that mod in that let's you recruit Minthara on a 'good' run and have a redemption D Urge playthrough instead^^

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/1515?tab=description

I'd refer you to this, it's a blessing! They've also made an alternate version that supposedly allows you to recruit her the more natural path while still being 'good.' I tested this one with the magic ring and it works, but I'm hesitant to see how much Larian's fix may affect or not affect her state.

stranger
stranger
Aye, I was speaking of the one that allows you get her on a good playthrough, without summoning her with a spell. It's made as the same person as the one above, I believe. Thanks for adding that in though mate^^

Last edited by Vrael; 01/09/23 09:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
It seems like a lot of players are holding out for some "complete Minthara experience" that Larian simply isn't going to deliver. Best to temper your expectations at this point.

R
R
Originally Posted by Nerovar
It seems like a lot of players are holding out for some "complete Minthara experience" that Larian simply isn't going to deliver. Best to temper your expectations at this point.

Are you out of your mind? Telling RPG fans they should temper their expectation, especially when it comes to romances! laugh

Joking aside I do agree. Looking at the whole Karlach mess, Mintharas future content doesn't look promising but hey here's to hopping they do end up delivering.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Nerovar
No

Page 30 of 39 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 38 39

Link Copied to Clipboard