Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
It's far too easy to miss far too much story simply because you don't need to long rest every 30 seconds.
We shouldn't feel narratively punished for not sleeping every time we get a papercut or cast a single spell.

For what reason would a companion be unable to do their "hey lets trigger a romance plotflag" conversation on the same night the cub has a nightmare?
What's stopping Astarion from getting hungery the same night 'Zel thinks your exhaustion might be a sign of ceremorphosis?
The answer is none. There are no reasons.

At one point in Act 2, on a hunch and for science, I spammed 3 long rests in a row, and got 3 cutscenes row. Then reset because actually doing that felt ridiculous.
That's at least 2 story events I'd end up missing simply by not having narcolepsy.

Before we even worry about how much players long rest as a mechanical matter, lets make them not miss narrative just because too many story moments were competing for the long rest interruption slot.

U
enthusiast
enthusiast
U
agreed

M
M
Generally I agree, but that there a few that don't make to combine. For example,

In the Shadowheart romance scene you spend the entire time together at the top of that small cliff. Doesn't make sense to have Astarion approach and try to bite you.

But a lot of events you could have at the same long rest.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I’m in two minds about this. I don’t want to miss content, but on the other hand I don’t want to have three companion scenes one rest then none for the next few nights and am all for some pacing being imposed if I happen to unlock a bunch of scenes one adventuring day. I have also noticed that in some cases there are multiple scenes in one night, so Larian have clearly taken on board feedback on this point from early access.

For me, the camp and in-world content seems to be happening at roughly the right rate, though there have been some oddities such as in act 1
Raphael suddenly accosting me out of nowhere on a random hill
and in act 3
Orin disguised as a companion suddenly appearing while I was exploring the sewers, with a blood patch and a vanished little girl back at my camp that implies something should have gone down there, but no one is talking about it so if I hadn’t happened to see a camp scene version of this in a demo I’d have had no idea what was going on
. I’m assuming that these are safeguards Larian has put in place to make sure we don’t miss essential content by not resting, which is reassuring, much as I wish it worked a bit more smoothly!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I’m in two minds about this. I don’t want to miss content, but on the other hand I don’t want to have three companion scenes one rest then none for the next few nights and am all for some pacing being imposed if I happen to unlock a bunch of scenes one adventuring day. I have also noticed that in some cases there are multiple scenes in one night, so Larian have clearly taken on board feedback on this point from early access.

For me, the camp and in-world content seems to be happening at roughly the right rate,

Honestly My main takeaway here, is that you rest too much.
This current imposed pacing for scenes unlocked in one day you say you're ok with, is what's causing me to miss more of camp scenes than I get, it seems.

I've been unlocking, say, three different camp scenes in one day, because that's how little you need to rest.
I rest, and see one of them. However it chooses which one to show.
Then the next day, I unlock 3 more, so now I have 5 ready scenes. That rest I get the 2nd one, leaving 4.
Then I unlock another 3. Now I have 7. See one for 6 unseen.

How many are there in an act?
I don't know, but I know I'm reaching the next act having missed most of them. And that presumably removes them from "queue" so they'll never happen. At least between 2 & 3 if not 1 & 2.
My tactician Dark Urge is about to enter Act 2 without Alfira ever showing up at camp. All these people pulling the meta shenanigans of knocking her out so Quill shows up instead, and I'm about to save her by just... not being sleepy.

Last edited by The Old Soul; 02/09/23 04:40 AM.
addict
addict
I prefer a limit of one event per rest. I dont want to run through half a douzen events just because they got queued up.

F
stranger
stranger
F
This long rest system has been breaking reactivity for me.

I feel like I’m being gaslit by my companions half the time lol. Constantly referencing conversations we never had, being pissed off at me for decisions I never made, and not talking about massive events we witnessed (like
me getting my eye removed by a hag, us killing a bunch of true souls, a child dying in front of us, etc)

The child dying one was almost comical; even the tieflings didn’t mention they had lost two children at this point. Everybody was just partying and celebrating their freedom. We talked to Mol and he had nothing to say about two of his friends dying - my wife and I were cracking up

Oh and for the cherry on top; I’m on a Durge playthrough but I rescued the grove before
my first kill scene, and now the person from that scene is alive and well.

I’m pretty sure Durge is supposed to have at least one
forced kill, oriented towards Alfira specifically? So what happens now that she’s alive and well in my playthrough at the end of act 1?

Last edited by FiscalBasilisk; 02/09/23 03:40 PM. Reason: Misplaced spoiler tag
N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Originally Posted by The Old Soul
Originally Posted by The Red Queen

For me, the camp and in-world content seems to be happening at roughly the right rate,

Honestly My main takeaway here, is that you rest too much.
This current imposed pacing for scenes unlocked in one day you say you're ok with, is what's causing me to miss more of camp scenes than I get, it seems.

I've been unlocking, say, three different camp scenes in one day, because that's how little you need to rest.
I rest, and see one of them. However it chooses which one to show.
Then the next day, I unlock 3 more, so now I have 5 ready scenes. That rest I get the 2nd one, leaving 4.
Then I unlock another 3. Now I have 7. See one for 6 unseen.

How many are there in an act?
I don't know, but I know I'm reaching the next act having missed most of them. And that presumably removes them from "queue" so they'll never happen. At least between 2 & 3 if not 1 & 2.
My tactician Dark Urge is about to enter Act 2 without Alfira ever showing up at camp. All these people pulling the meta shenanigans of knocking her out so Quill shows up instead, and I'm about to save her by just... not being sleepy.

You're right that you don't necessarily NEED a lot of rests - particularly depending on class, play style, and strategies - but there are no bonus points for minimizing rests. There are lots of camp supplies around to be foraged, and so I'd rather use and replenish my spell slots more frequently. The main limit to my LRs (aside from areas where you can't, and specific quest timelines keyed to LRs) are 'until Long Rest' effects that I don't necessarily want to burn through too quickly.

Z
addict
addict
Z
I'd rather Orin not kidnap one of my teammates in the very beginning of Act 3, tyvm. I don't want to have to rush to the Temple of Bhaal underleveled and pause side content just to have my ally not miss a lot of potential dialogue by staying kidnapped.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 02/09/23 05:34 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Zenith
I'd rather Orin not kidnap one of my teammates in the very beginning of Act 3, tyvm. I don't want to have to rush to the Temple of Bhaal underleveled and pause side content just to have my ally not miss a lot of potential dialogue by staying kidnapped.
Is there a long rest event where the companion gets kidnapped? See I wouldn't know that because I've always had the kidnapping get revealed by the "companion" running up to me when I was in the underground, presumably triggered by proximity to the Bhaal area, without anything in camp having happened. I guess the kidnapping scene keeps getting prevented by my stack of other queued scenes.
So that's not just an example of content I'm missing in runs, but an example of content I literally did not know about because of these rest-event limitations.

I mentioned earlier my Dark Urge about to enter act 2 without the big act 1 urge moment people hype up.
I only know about that scene firstly because of a friend who can't not blurt things out (and did Dark Urge for his first playthrough), and secondly because of these forums.
I mean, I wouldn't have clicked to reveal urge spoilers if not for that friend and the run I started, but in any case without it being revealed to me I could have played the whole game as Urge without knowing about that moment either.
Well, unless it would just happen in Act 2 instead. I suppose I might find out.

Link Copied to Clipboard