Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Liquid Cobra
honour its ridiculous
yes but its by design so play a lover setting until you have a better plain

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
B
old hand
old hand
B
This is the best* of the three Big Boss fights <3
What can I add?
- Free Dame Aylin on turn 2. However, I've found that while usefull in round 1, in round 2 she has spent her Smites and is useless.
- long term AoE - Hunger of Hadar, Spike Growth, Cloud Kill etc. in Necromite spawning areas
- long term AoE - Insect Plague, Hunger of Hadar, etc. over Kethric
- some sort of fast moving Summon - best if with Blundgedoing damage - to destroy Necromite "eggs"
- Smokepowder Arrows smile

BTW - I've only ever done this fight on Honour Mode

* I suspect that the Big Boss fights were designed with the original lvl 10 cap in mind. Hence Kethric is still fun, the Crazy is so-so, while Gortash is a lame push over.

Last edited by Buba68; 05/08/24 01:44 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
For me, it was a ranged battle. My githyanki necromancer had a skeleton shooting squad of nine (four from Tav, three from Shadowheart). They took out the mind flayer quickly and then the intellect devourers as they approached. Gale, who had a flying ghoul, took out the Necromite involucres with Wyll who also brought his Cambion from the Infernal Rapier. I'd have to go back to the savegames for details, but my Tav blinked and misty stepped to Dame Aylin and ended Ketheric's immortality. I also had the Shadow from the Shadow Lantern, but I don't think it did much except for a few honorary hit points of damage. With all the ranged firepower, we took the apostle out before it could consume any necromites. At least, that's what the game achievement plaque says. My group was always surrounded by a host of thralls, so IP those battles were short bursts of violence, but IRL, it was a lot of clicking about and moving pieces about on the Lanceboard.

The fight can quickly mean the end of your Honor Mode. As far as I know, barrelmancy no longer works there or backpacks with explosives, as the Apostle only takes limited damage from it and can no longer be killed like that. A few pieces of advice that you should perhaps take into account, depending on how you want to fight the battles yourself, some of them could possibly be a savior in an emergency. smile

- you don't have to fight against Kethric with the right conversation selection.

- Scratch is always the best boy with the "Help" ability. He likes invisibility potions. smile

- Scrolls are good, 1-2 fire elementals take care of the Necromites on the side.

- The Mindflyer should be noticed by someone who can kill him instantly.

- A bottle of water can make a difference in the fight... in combination with chain lightning smile (scrolls if necessary)

"Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized" ~ Braingremlin
T
T
I don't think my party was particularly strong and we did OK, although I do have prior D&D experience. I can't remember the details, or how many attempts it took the first time through (I replayed part of act 2 and it was really easy because I knew what to expect), but as others said make sure Aylin is up and active, and don't get too close to the avatar. Even so, I usually had one or two at risk from his fear beam and proximity effects. Ah yes - Lae'zel would probably have been on the platform with him because she was built as a greatsword warrior, and Tav was probably up there using bard spells to ward off fear effects (with halfling bravery to help). Then Wyll & Shadowheart doing ranged attacks.

That fiend in the Sharran temple was much harder, and that's not even a boss fight.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I found this fight to be relatively easy for a boss fight to be honest with you. What level were you when you took this battle on? When I did it I had done every thing that could be done in level one and believe I was at level 5 or 6 when I fought him and his cronies.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Sini Shadowheart being a Tempus Cleric is now one of the most powerful spell casters in my party loves water.<G> I've tried a lot of builds for SH and found that I love my current build for her the best.

old hand
old hand
The first time I got into this fight, I also thought this was the end-of-game. Never would I be able to finish act 2. But, as usual, after a few retries you find a strategy that can work.
Althought there's still an important dependance on the die rolls, IMO. Especially those from Dame Aylin. Sometimes she's as harmful (not) as a fly and gets swatted just as easily. Other times she wacks Ketheric like a training dummy.

Originally Posted by DragonMaster69
@Sini Shadowheart being a Tempus Cleric is now one of the most powerful spell casters in my party loves water.<G> I've tried a lot of builds for SH and found that I love my current build for her the best.

Chain lightning is extremely strong in this fight. I always have a sufficient number of chain lightning scrolls and water with me anyway. smile My Shadowheart is mostly radiant orb cleric, I like it when the enemies simply explode due to the orbs.

"Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized" ~ Braingremlin
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
It's difficult to whittle down his health with conventional attacks when you are constantly frightened and he has resistance. The trick is using persistent aoe and attacks that automatically hits.

veteran
veteran
I think you can use Calm Emotions against being frightened. I was lucky so far , but in my current HM run, I gave to face him again soon and I will pack CE and all the adds , that I can. If necessary from scrolls.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by fylimar
I think you can use Calm Emotions against being frightened.

It's a possible approach, but it's a tradeoff because it's a concentration spell so that means one less persistent aoe spell.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Frightened prevents moved - if necessary I use Misty Step or Arrow of Transposition to get around smile
When Dame Aylin decides to take a nap while at 1HP inside Kethric's Bone Chill aura I use Shove or Throw laugh

Last edited by Buba68; 06/08/24 03:24 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by papercut_ninja
Originally Posted by fylimar
I think you can use Calm Emotions against being frightened.

It's a possible approach, but it's a tradeoff because it's a concentration spell so that means one less persistent aoe spell.
That is true, but my guy is a sword bard and seldom use spells, so he can do it and Gale and Shadowheart can AoE, while Karlach or Lae'zel tank.
Worth a try. If it doesn't work, I will let you know here laezelapprove

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard